Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch to use with zwave dimmer

Options
  • 30-10-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm thinking of retrofitting my lights with the likes of Fibaro dimmer modules /double switch modules. I currently have regular switches with deep boxes. I do have neutrals to the switches.
    Would anyone be able to recommend any product for

Option A) a "dumb" switch that would be suitable to use with the fibaro modules
    Or...
    Option B) Suitable "smart" switches that I could use instead of those Fibaro modules.. We do have neutrals to the switches.. (There would be a combination of 1/2/3 Gang switches with a number of two way (and one three way) light..

It is very confusing with all the options out there.
    Would Annie have any suggestions of what is reliable for both options above.
    I would be glad of any suggestions.
    Regards,
    Corcadorcha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Has anyone installed z wave in their house? I would live to hear how it worked or and if you have any recommendations

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use Fibaro modules.
    For the switches I use Varilight PowerGrid Steel 1-Way Push-to-Make Retractive Switch, and a Varilight PowerGrid Plate.

I use Fibaro modules.
    For the switches I use Varilight PowerGrid Steel 1-Way Push-to-Make Retractive Switch, and a Varilight PowerGrid Plate.

Do you find the good? Well those switches work on 2 and 3 way switches...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I love them. Must order more of the switches before the Brexit transition ends.

Haven't set up any 2/3 way switches yet, but I believe it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I use Fibaro modules.

I use the same but 2 way version e.g.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/varilight-white-10a-2-way-off-retractive-switch/27120

Allows switch to always remain in the same position, and let's quick double-presses trigger other actions e.g. Increase lights 100% or press and hold to trigger an action e.g. Dim / increase lights.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,
    This may be a silly question, but do you need to use two zwave (fibaro) modules in a two way (two switches one light) or three modules in a three way (3 switches one lighthouse. Or will one do?
    My head is getting fried going through all the permutations.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks guys,
    This may be a silly question, but do you need to use two zwave (fibaro) modules in a two way (two switches one light) or three modules in a three way (3 switches one lighthouse. Or will one do?
    My head is getting fried going through all the permutations.
    Thanks

It will depend on how everything is wired. See below for some diagrams.

https://manuals.fibaro.com/dimmer-2/

In my case I just handed over to an electrician to figure out which resulted in some cases switches becoming redundant due to how things were wired.

Vesternet also has some good guides to use as a reference:

https://www.vesternet.com/pages/apnt-138-standard-lighting-circuit-using-fibaro-dimmer-2

Anyone recommend fibaro dimmer 2 switches vs fibaro switch /double switch for lights..
    So many options of modules and switches...
    I am nearly decided on z wave but any resonances on modules would be great..
    Ta
    Corcadorcha

Advertisement