Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kwick Kickr Kassette Kwuestion

Options
  • 30-10-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

The Mrs has a kickr core coming.
    Doesn't come with a cassette.
    Have to pick a cassette! :)

So how does virtual climbing work in terms of gear ratios. If, in real life, I need a 12:32 range cassette to get up a real Alp, does that mean I also need those ratios on a virtual or simulated Alp?

(In normal turbo training I only use 4 or five gears in the middle of the cassette and never the extremes.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

I recall Campag used to call their 11-25 cassette a climbing cassette 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Get a 16-44 cassette if you can ..... :)
    And then tell me where you get it as I could do with one on my Kickr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

C'mon guys, seriously :)

I do actually need to pick a cassette. She's collecting the kickr tomorrow. Shop will provide and install the cassette but they want to know which one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Using the kinetic smart trainer, and cycling up a virtual aloe d'huez and stelvio, and other assorted climbs I found the simulation pretty bang on and wished I'd had a wider range cassette.

However, you can of course set the trainer to mimic say 50% of the gradient instead of you wish to use a smaller range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

devonp wrote: »
    I recall Campag used to call their 11-25 cassette a climbing cassette ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

4 or 5 years ago I was riding the Midelton 200.

At the bottom of mountain road climb I dropped in the small ring. The man with me, a much better climber than me but not local, asked "if this was a small ring climb?"

"They are all small ring for me Brian" was all I could muster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Thud

https://zwiftinsider.com/using-the-trainer-difficulty-setting-in-zwift/

if she is riding alone on Zwift she can leave this setting on difficult which is more realistic and will need a wide cassette.

if she intends to do group rides or races she will need to lower it as the delay in changing gears (knowing when a virtual hill starts is not the same as in real life) will see her drop off the back and expend energy trying to get back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

fat bloke wrote: »
    C'mon guys, seriously :)

I do actually need to pick a cassette. She's collecting the kickr tomorrow. Shop will provide and install the cassette but they want to know which one!

Serious answer: the biggest that your/her rear derailleur will take, typically a 28 or 29. That's the limiting factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

11-28 will be fine, I use a 52/36 11-28 and have been up the alpe several times on zwift and you've seen me I'm no climber. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

11-28 will be fine - I have that on my Kickr with a 52/36 on the front
    And I’m a woman;)

If the rear mech will take a 30 that’s a nice cassette range - I have that in real life with the 52/36

Grand. Nice one. We'll see how we get on with a 28. Sure a 105 cassette won't break the bank if it needs changing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I usually just go for whatever is on the road bike to avoid any indexing issues in the event you are swapping over bikes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

I use an 11-30 in real life to get up Sally Gap, Shay Elliot etc.

11-28 is more than grand on my Kickr Core.

Currently doing a training plan which is mostly focused on cadence on Zwift and I'm hardly out of the small ring if I'm honest.

Erg mode is terrific etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

When did she order that Core, Fat Bloke?
    Big delay at the moment. I'm waiting about 3 weeks at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Fat bloke, did your partner get an email with codes for zwift after registering the kickr?

I registered at the weekend but nada as yet... Seems fairly shoddy, will wait another few days before emailing wahoo as their website says takes up to a week

outfox wrote: »
    When did she order that Core, Fat Bloke?
    Big delay at the moment. I'm waiting about 3 weeks at this stage.

A good while ago. I had nothing to do with the decision. She had a kickr ordered originally but then there was a longer delay still on them. She was offered a core instead when they came into stock and she went with that.

Fat bloke, did your partner get an email with codes for zwift after registering the kickr?

I registered at the weekend but nada as yet... Seems fairly shoddy, will wait another few days before emailing wahoo as their website says takes up to a week

No idea to be honest. At the minute she's just using the trainer as is and watching netflix. This time of year she's doing all focused winter training, so zwift racing would run completely counter to that.

What's the code thing about? Is there some free zwift time given to core purchasers or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I got a Core last week - ended up with three orders placed and just kept the first to ship. Set alerts on every site you can find and order immediately and you will get one. They were selling out within 5 mins of coming into stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

fat bloke wrote: »

What's the code thing about? Is there some free zwift time given to core purchasers or something?

Yeah they are advertised as coming with a free Zwift trial, only a month but still.... I don't think you have to do racing on Zwift. I was on it the other night just plodding around to see what it's like, I definitely found it a lot better than trying to watch Netflix, pushed myself a good bit more anyway.

Apparently when you set up the kickr with the wahoo app it automatically registers it and automatically sends you an email with the code... But wahoo website says it takes up to a week....

Some people on here said they got loads of codes for the various different websites, trainer Road etc....

Edit, ps I was on zwift as I registered for a free 7 day trial via a different email address

Advertisement