Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fourteen year old neighbor's child has a full size adult quad

• 30-10-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

A fourteen year old neighbor's child has a full size adult quad with a sign that it shouldn't be driven by anybody under sixteen. He drives it on my parent's lanes and fields. If he had an accident could my parents be sued? Would it be covered by FBD farm insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Put a stop to it immediately, regardless of who is driving it. If you are aware of an issue and take no action, you could be held liable for what happens on your land. It's not a question of your public liability insurance covering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭wally1990

Solid parenting there
    Buying a child a quad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Knock it on the head right away. Scenario - Child loses control and hits a wire fence badly lacerating himself. The first question asked would probably be who installed the fence and was it in installed correctly, nothing to do with trespassing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Call the guards with the line "im concerned and bringing this to your attention.............. thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭bmc58

How is he allowed to drive this quad on your land? Why have you not spoken to his parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jealous much?...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A fourteen year old neighbor's child has a full size adult quad with a sign that it shouldn't be driven by anybody under sixteen. He drives it on my parent's lanes and fields. If he had an accident could my parents be sued? Would it be covered by FBD farm insurance?

Fourteen is a bit young to have a child,
    let alone a child old enough to ride a quad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Call the guards with the line "im concerned and bringing this to your attention.............. thank you.

call the Gardai about what, exactly - not breaking the law ?

Unless it's being driven on a public road, there is, literally, 'nothing to see here'.

Is your post triggered by the annual RSA rant on the same issue ?

Why not advocate training and/or supervision, to show competency, can actually encourage personal responsibility ?

In other words, do something positive.

Yours
    A Parent of a Child on a Quad since he was 3, now 17.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

galwaytt wrote: »

Unless it's being driven on a public road, there is, literally, 'nothing to see here'.
    Trespassing, perhaps. Would need more detail on whether they're allowed to be on private property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

galwaytt wrote: »

Is your post triggered by the annual RSA rant on the same issue ?

Why not advocate training and/or supervision, to show competency, can actually encourage personal responsibility ?

In other words, do something positive.

Yours
    A Parent of a Child on a Quad since he was 3, now 17.

If the laneway referred to in the OP is one where vehicles have usual access to, it is governed by the RTA and requires insurance, licence an tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Really people think his first reaction should be to call the guards on a neighbours child. Would that not be the last course of action if all else fails?

OP i think you should drop over and express your concerns, and ask them not to allow him to drive the quad on the family land for safety reasons. If you are happy with their response, that is as far as it should go.

If you are unhappy with the response, The landowner or their agent, should send them a registered letter restating the above. After that keep a log of further events if there are any. This will cover you in the event of any legal action.

Really calling the guards on a child let alone a neighbour who you will have to live with for the next couple of decades is a gross overreaction!

It would be appropriate where you are convinced the child is in imminent danger, or is causing repeated nuisance, and all other efforts have failed. As you only state grounds of safety in your initial post, i will assume it is only safety grounds you are concerning yourself with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If he had an accident on your parents land they would most likely be found liable. As he is 14 he cannot legally get insured to drive the quad anywhere so if he is driving in a public place ie a laneway then he / his parents are breaking the law by allowing it and should be reported to AGS. Its no different to allowing an underage driver drive a car when they are not legally allowed to do so.

Perhaps rather than going straight to AGS you or your parents should approach his parents, outline the concerns and the legalities of it and give them an opportunity to put an end to it. If it persists, then report them to AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

Your 14-year old neighbour has a child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That joke is already done.

Back on topic folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If the laneway referred to in the OP is one where vehicles have usual access to, it is governed by the RTA and requires insurance, licence an tax

True, like car parks in shopping centres etc. But unless OP tells us we're only supposing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement