Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

manster wrote: »
    GDPR?

Or a bit easy to figure out you weren't actually sick or in work that day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Odd
    Someone just accepted my friend request and I can see all their info but every one else is still blacked out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

manster wrote: »
    GDPR?
    You can still see them on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Checked out some of the bandits in my club on the golf ireland app... they really have no shame some of the rounds they are submitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Seve OB wrote: »
    Odd
    Someone just accepted my friend request and I can see all their info but every one else is still blacked out

There's a setting on the website now under my profile for it:
    Hide score play dates from other members

Doesn't appear to be in the app though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any reason why lower scores within my last 20 aren't being used? EG I have 91's being used and a few 89's not being used for my handicap?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any reason why lower scores within my last 20 aren't being used? EG I have 91's being used and a few 89's not being used for my handicap?
    Do they also have a lower score differential?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Do they also have a lower score differential?

Where would I see that on the app?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Where would I see that on the app?
    Doesn't show it on the app afaik. You need the web version. I would suspect that the 89s have a higher score differential and hence are not in your top eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Got Email from the club today re casual rounds

Must declare before hand @ pro shop submit a card and on the app on completion of the round

If away from the club must adhere to that club's procedure for casual rounds.

€5 admin fee applies but is waived for players with less then 20 qualifying scores.

I think this is the fairest way to prevent bandits but allow new members or members who don't play may comps to have a more accurate handicap index with a full complement of qualifying scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭septicsac

ger664 wrote: »
    Got Email from the club today re casual rounds

Must declare before hand @ pro shop submit a card and on the app on completion of the round

If away from the club must adhere to that club's procedure for casual rounds.

€5 admin fee applies but is waived for players with less then 20 qualifying scores.

I think this is the fairest way to prevent bandits but allow new members or members who don't play may comps to have a more accurate handicap index with a full complement of qualifying scores.

Why would anyone do this when you can use the golfireland app.You declare before the round and have to have someone to attest the score, with no fee applied?
    It wont address those who massage their scores, they will exist in any system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

ger664 wrote: »

I think you might see more of this. I can tell anecdotally that in the short time that competitions have been back that the numbers playing competition has dipped but the opposite for non competition golf.

If this is a trend that remains it may hurt revenue, especially for the clubs with small visitor numbers.

It could well be just a blip, maybe just the novelty of casual counting golf but it will be interesting to follow how it goes for the remainder of the season.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

How does this new system work for new handicaps? A friend of mine is submitting his 3 cards for handicap this week. I assume his handicap will fluctuate quite a bit until he gets close to 20 cards will it?

How does this new system work for new handicaps? A friend of mine is submitting his 3 cards for handicap this week. I assume his handicap will fluctuate quite a bit until he gets close to 20 cards will it?
    Yes. The calculation is on a scale from three to twenty. On three it's the best score differential minus two. On four, it's the lowest minus one, five is lowest with no deduction, six is average of best two, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Yes. The calculation is on a scale from three to twenty. On three it's the best score differential minus two. On four, it's the lowest minus one, five is lowest with no deduction, six is average of best two, etc

That’s very clear. Thanks so much

septicsac wrote: »
    Why would anyone do this when you can use the golfireland app.You declare before the round and have to have someone to attest the score, with no fee applied?
    It wont address those who massage their scores, they will exist in any system.
    The club needs to know that scores are being put through. Handicap committees should be able to keep track of scores that affect handicaps and unless they trawl through the clubhouse portal of Golf Ireland on a daily basis, member by member, it's hard to know about these. And (as Golfgraffix says) it could be affecting competition entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The club needs to know that scores are being put through. Handicap committees should be able to keep track of scores that affect handicaps and unless they trawl through the clubhouse portal of Golf Ireland on a daily basis, member by member, it's hard to know about these. And (as Golfgraffix says) it could be affecting competition entries.

There is a report generated daily and I have enough ability to download it and identify trends

I do it for our teams but also for handicap committee

Only one suspicious so far and you hear mixed stories about him

gypsy79 wrote: »
    There is a report generated daily and I have enough ability to download it and identify trends

I do it for our teams but also for handicap committee

Only one suspicious so far and you hear mixed stories about him
    Forgot about that report. :o
    But we still get cards dropped in without anything being entered online or on the computer (people are slow to change :(), so a sign-in sheet is a good backup. Golf Ireland actually recommend that you do this and have even produced a template for you to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think it stinks that clubs are charging an administration fee to play a casual game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think it stinks that clubs are charging an administration fee to play a casual game.

Can the club not be bypassed in playing your casual round anyway though? But yeh, it's completely scummy and I would've thought that hopefully Golf Ireland can step in there to an extent to prevent this from happening which charges on casual rounds.

I'll admit I've been playing 20+ years now, but never bothered reading up on WHS properly.

I actually don't know where to start with it.

I don't know my password for my GUI card, so that in itself is a nuisance because to retrieve it I think I need to contact my club which is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

But in the documentation supplied to clubs by Golf Ireland, they have to process a score even if there is no payment made. So by rights if you don't pay your score still gets processed. I still need to test this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Charging for a service which is provided for free elsewhere is just a poor idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this charging for casual rounds, actually its a disgrace imo. But i mentioned here a while back that comp entries would take a hit as a result of this handicap option

I think the best way to protect comp entries and associated €5 entry is to reserve the busy Sat/Sun tee times for competition entry only.
    Casual rounds any other time, work away, but if playing at weekend comp time, then enter the comp.

But comp fees will suffer regardless. Needing 40 pts to feature and you haven't shot 36 points in months, eventually people stop throwing €5 away every week. Most club golfers (me included) will continue to support but a lot won't.
    And as for €5 for a casual round, good luck, this round won't be recorded, thanks. I'll just enjoy it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

martinkop wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of this charging for casual rounds, actually its a disgrace imo. But i mentioned here a while back that comp entries would take a hit as a result of this handicap option

I think the best way to protect comp entries and associated €5 entry is to reserve the busy Sat/Sun tee times for competition entry only.
    Casual rounds any other time, work away, but if playing at weekend comp time, then enter the comp.

But comp fees will suffer regardless. Needing 40 pts to feature and you haven't shot 36 points in months, eventually people stop throwing €5 away every week. Most club golfers (me included) will continue to support but a lot won't.
    And as for €5 for a casual round, good luck, this round won't be recorded, thanks. I'll just enjoy it all the same.

I reckon it will all settle down and most won't do the casual round thing, when they realise that it's just not the same as competition (which is a different experience entirely).

Edit: I am struggling to make 36 points still, but I still intend to enter comp this coming w/e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I think you might see more of this. I can tell anecdotally that in the short time that competitions have been back that the numbers playing competition has dipped but the opposite for non competition golf.

If this is a trend that remains it may hurt revenue, especially for the clubs with small visitor numbers.

It could well be just a blip, maybe just the novelty of casual counting golf but it will be interesting to follow how it goes for the remainder of the season.

J

I for one will be skipping 18 hole competitions for the most part. 9 holes 4 times a week fits much better than 5 hours on a weekend day. I get more match practice, not as tired, and have the weekends back, and still get cut (hopefully). So theres no incentive, other than the majors where you want your name in gold lettering.

Maybe a minimum comps played for majors might be required to overcome people like me? But I'd hope clubs become creative rather than restrictive and introduce for example 9 hole comps run over 5 days at 2 euro/round. I'd enter at least 3 times, and thats more revenue than my one comp at the weekend.

Come end of October its back to 9 hole comps and too dark during the week so Ill probably end up playing 4x9 at the weekend, but for the summer, no chance.

First week of competitions and there's a waiting list so the hunger is still there for others.

etxp wrote: »
    But in the documentation supplied to clubs by Golf Ireland, they have to process a score even if there is no payment made. So by rights if you don't pay your score still gets processed. I still need to test this out.
    The club can still delete it if they don't think it's been properly recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Surely not paying extra for it can't count as not properly recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If you follow the protocols in place, then according to Golf Ireland they can not. 7.8 in this link - https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/play_golf/gi%20advice%20to%20handicap%20committees%20may12.pdf

While it is a matter for each club if it wishes to charge for General Play Rounds, all pre-registered General Play scores returned must be submitted for handicap purposes
    irrespective of whether or not payment has been made

etxp wrote: »
    If you follow the protocols in place, then according to Golf Ireland they can not. 7.8 in this link - https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/play_golf/gi%20advice%20to%20handicap%20committees%20may12.pdf

While it is a matter for each club if it wishes to charge for General Play Rounds, all pre-registered General Play scores returned must be submitted for handicap purposes
    irrespective of whether or not payment has been made
    I was careful to say 'not properly recorded' for a reason. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

Hoboo wrote: »
    But I'd hope clubs become creative rather than restrictive and introduce for example 9 hole comps run over 5 days at 2 euro/round.

I would love to see some creativity like this!!

Advertisement