Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

My club aren't allowing casual rounds for handicap purposes on competition days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OEP wrote: »
    My club aren't allowing casual rounds for handicap purposes on competition days

That’s fair enough IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'm still getting to grips with the system. Had 36 points on Saturday that got me a 0.3 cut followed by 26 points on Sunday that had 0.5 added back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I'm still getting to grips with the system. Had 36 points on Saturday that got me a 0.3 cut followed by 26 points on Sunday that had 0.5 added back

A good score probably dropped out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Just dug a bit deeper into my WHS Index to discover scores from the old system from last year all have incorrect score differentials. All are entered with a reduction of 6 shots.

Assuming the calculation as SD = (113/SR) * (Adjusted Gross - CR)

Anyone else have this issue given that most have had a reduction in their handicap from CONGU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ger664 wrote: »
    Just dug a bit deeper into my WHS Index to discover scores from the old system from last year all have incorrect score differentials. All are entered with a reduction of 6 shots.

Anyone else have this issue given that most have had a reduction in their handicap from CONGU
    Is the adjustment shown on your record? And if so what column is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

You may have the brackets in the wrong place? It's AG*113/SR - CR

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is the adjustment shown on your record? And if so what column is it in?

Cant think why only started last year and never got anywhere near 36 points of 18. Current index is 16.5 (14 cards in)

My card from the weekend has the correct score differential. I had a card from last year with the same score and no course differential and it is on the system as 6 shots less.

If there was an adjustment applied where would it show ?

I have taken into consideration when there has being an adjustment to the course score.

You may have the brackets in the wrong place? It's AG*113/SR - CR

No I have double checked this on RSA its definitely CD = (113/SR) * (AG-CR)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Seems the new system is causing hassle at the elite level now.
    Entries for Ulster strokeplay closed I think at weekend and some big names outside the cut off for entry including Colm Campbell who won it last year

Seems there was some reviews recently where plus handicappers were adjusted to a higher handicap and lots not happy

Suppose first year of new system was always going to throw up issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

No I have double checked this on RSA its definitely CD = (113/SR) * (AG-CR)

SD = (113/SR) * (AG-CR-PCC)

Some of our historic scores were given a PCC, others not. It seemed to be related to the old CSS on the day. Its unlikely to account for the issue above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

big_drive wrote: »
    Seems the new system is causing hassle at the elite level now.
    Entries for Ulster strokeplay closed I think at weekend and some big names outside the cut off for entry including Colm Campbell who won it last year

Seems there was some reviews recently where plus handicappers were adjusted to a higher handicap and lots not happy

Suppose first year of new system was always going to throw up issues

A review was carried out but clubs were given the option to seek a reversal of the adjustments if they felt the WHS handicap was more appropriate. It put unnecessary work on handicap committees to review and assess the adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gel21

My handicap seems to be based off my 7 bests scores, Anyone ever see this before? I played over 40 competitive rounds last year

Gel21 wrote: »
    My handicap seems to be based off my 7 bests scores, Anyone ever see this before? I played over 40 competitive rounds last year
    Seems to be? The scores that make up your index are clearly marked. Are there only 7 marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gel21

Yes only 7 green dots on my last 20, i had to double check !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Did you only play a round today ? If so, there is an overnight delay before it recalculates your new round and you'll have 8 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I see also that John Murphy now has a handicap of +6.8
    Now thats another world!!

Gel21 wrote: »
    Yes only 7 green dots on my last 20, i had to double check !
    If it's as Rikand says, you should see your 8th green dot on score number 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just to make sure.

Think I’ll play casual 9 holes today. Can this be done when there’s placing on the fairways?

Do I have to interact with the pro shop etc or can I just create scorecard on the Golf Ireland app before teeing off and get score sorted then with one of the people playing with me on the app after?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just to make sure.

Think I’ll play casual 9 holes today. Can this be done when there’s placing on the fairways?

Do I have to interact with the pro shop etc or can I just create scorecard on the Golf Ireland app before teeing off and get score sorted then with one of the people playing with me on the app after?

Not sure about the placing part but in our club you need to sign into a book in the pro shop to say your playing 9 towards your handicap and who is going to sign off on your score and then create your scorecard on the app.

• Advertisement

fearruanua wrote: »
    Not sure about the placing part but in our club you need to sign into a book in the pro shop to say your playing 9 towards your handicap and who is going to sign off on your score and then create your scorecard on the app.

Perfect, thank you.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just to make sure.

Yes. You can even do it when it's lift, clean and REplace in the rough (R&A MLR-E2). Both rules are acceptable for qualifying rounds.

As above, check with your club. Golf Ireland recommend that clubs have a sign-in sheet for casual rounds for handicapping purposes.

Thanks to both of you.

Haven’t input a casual score yet, so wasn’t sure.

Person in Pro Shop wasn’t sure so I’ll proceed with round on Golf Ireland app and will email club after

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Quick one, does anyone know why on the app my 18 hole course handicap is different than the sum of 2*9s? I’m off 9.0, and as an example in Corballis I play off 9, but my 2*9s are 3 and 4 on the whites? I notice that on the RandA online calculator the 9 hole calculator factors in course rating and par, but the 18 hole does not, and recommends the GB&I players don’t use CR minus Par.

Doesn’t bother me either way as I assume everyone will be impacted the same way, just curious to understand why

Quick one, does anyone know why on the app my 18 hole course handicap is different than the sum of 2*9s? I’m off 9.0, and as an example in Corballis I play off 9, but my 2*9s are 3 and 4 on the whites? I notice that on the RandA online calculator the 9 hole calculator factors in course rating and par, but the 18 hole does not, and recommends the GB&I players don’t use CR minus Par.

Doesn’t bother me either way as I assume everyone will be impacted the same way, just curious to understand why
    There could be a difference between the slope ratings on the front and back nines. They are often the same, but our red tees actually have significant differences between front and back nines.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There could be a difference between the slope ratings on the front and back nines. They are often the same, but our red tees actually have significant differences between front and back nines.

But the combined should still add up to 9 though? There is a small difference, but if there was a very high slope on say the front, it would have to be very low on the back to bring it back to average and my handicap should follow, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

The simple answer is the calculation for 18 does not inlcude CR-Par, the 9 hole calculation does.

Its an odd one. My CH for 18 is 10, but if i play the front 9 i get 6 and the back 9 i get 5. If I was to decide to play a counting front and then a counting back (there seems to be no rule to stop me) i would get anoher shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

Friend of mine this evening was playing 9 holes but accidentally entered for 18 on the app. He only copped this after when he went to complete the 9 hole round. Now it's just sitting there incomplete with no option to edit it and amend to 9 holes. What can he do here and will this incomplete round stop him entering another card over the weekend?

• Advertisement

dk1982 wrote: »
    Friend of mine this evening was playing 9 holes but accidentally entered for 18 on the app. He only copped this after when he went to complete the 9 hole round. Now it's just sitting there incomplete with no option to edit it and amend to 9 holes. What can he do here and will this incomplete round stop him entering another card over the weekend?
    No. He can't edit it, but his handicap secretary can edit or delete it as necessary. It won't stop hm entering other rounds.

Advertisement