Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Cheaters will cheat no matter what the system, just as in 'real life' we have fraudsters, con men and criminals.

The new system is in, it's worldwide and no amount of bleating about clubs limiting casual rounds will change that as they simply cannot restrict people handing in cards under the new rules.

Unless someone is actually 100% spotted cheating on the course - ie deliberately taking extra shots to inflate a score, deliberately writing down wrong scores or understating the amount of shots they took, kicking the ball out from the trees etc etc etc theres nothing anyone can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

slingerz wrote: »
    There are a few lads in my club registering 5/7 scores a week. There indexes have jumped around something fierce. One lad was a low as 6.4 and is now 8.7, with some variances it is definitely a bandits wet dream

Out of interested, does the club charge an admin fee for casual golf.

Or any other club for that matter.

My club charges €5.00 for casual round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Ceepo wrote: »

My club charges a 5er also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

etxp wrote: »
    Must be some prize if he decided to go for it after 21 rounds.

And not only that, when he decided to go for it, his -6 round was still factored into his handicap. If he had just given up another 5 hours another day before the important comp he could have had knocked that score out of his counting rounds.

People underestimate the effort required to cheat. And if someone is willing to go to those lengths, there's not much you can do about them. But 99% of the time, it's not people intentionally putting in bad scores. It's just their normal golfing life that they put in heaps of bad scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

There are some people at my club who would be better golfers if they put their time into their game that they put into whinging about other peoples scores.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    And not only that, when he decided to go for it, his -6 round was still factored into his handicap. If he had just given up another 5 hours another day before the important comp he could have had knocked that score out of his counting rounds.

People underestimate the effort required to cheat. And if someone is willing to go to those lengths, there's not much you can do about them. But 99% of the time, it's not people intentionally putting in bad scores. It's just their normal golfing life that they put in heaps of bad scores.

By the sounds of it this man is intentionally doing it. I wonder does he only feature in the big ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I know it's been asked here before, but what are the thoughts on clubs charging their members €5 for a casual round where they will be inputting a score to Golf Ireland.

I definitely think it's out of order to an extent. The only reasoning I can think of it is to at least push people off the idea of trying to go out willy-nilly to bump up their handicap cheaply on a daily basis.

Would also be curious if people are definitely taking the rules seriously (ie if you're playing a casual round for scoring purposes, are people just giving themselves/their partner putts etc and not treating it like a comp)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

By the sounds of it this man is intentionally doing it. I wonder does he only feature in the big ones.

By the sound of things, it’s Chinese Whispers.

There’s some odd creatures in this world. But a man who will happily play poorly for 20 rounds, while retaining the ability to turn it on in grandstand fashion for round 21, would require levels of coordination and patience, that would have much more suitable avenues in life than winning a couple of hundred Euro every 3 months playing golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I was against the €5 for the casual counting round but after seeing a couple of local guys’ recent casual games, I’m starting to think maybe this would slow the inflation down. Couple of interesting graphs attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

im doing it wrong so, looking at that graph. new system gave me back shots (13.6>16.2) compared to old hcap

got rid of them fairly quickly and am down lower again to 13.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Has anyone come across a situation where a round which should count remains orange even after overnight update? This is the only round on record, new member

Can anyone suggest a system that's fair and can't be cheated though? We had a member in my previous club who I know was complained about to us (from another club). He was playing in the opens around the county during the week and sandbagging his rounds to get shots back. I think if he was going very well he'd keep going. If not, he'd make sure to miss the buffer. But playing 4 times a week, he'd get the guts of 2 shots back in a month.

The result was that his handicap was artificially high by a few shots. And he did win the Captains one year and was incredibly unpopular for doing so. I believe he's no longer in the club.

That was under the old system. The point is that any system is going to be based on the scores you submit. If someone takes extra shots on purpose no system conceivable is going to stop them inflating their handicap.

But the bigger point is that these people that do it to any sort of significant extent are rare. It's not an epidemic in the game, nothing close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I was +4 on Saturday and +16 on Sunday. These wild scores can, and do happen. Particularly to high single figure golfers I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

OEP wrote: »
    I was +4 on Saturday and +16 on Sunday. These wild scores can, and do happen. Particularly to high single figure golfers I find.

id be the same

i suppose once this settles in and people have scores in you will see a flattening of the graph

OEP wrote: »

Absolutely, I know this myself. But a consistent 15-22 strokes increase on your best 8 is some achievement. I personally think that if any genuine golfer was in such a poor run of form that they would be avoiding the 3 or 4 casual counting scores per week and just play the regular Sunday competition as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gringuss

big_drive wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a situation where a round which should count remains orange even after overnight update? This is the only round on record, new member
    There won't be any 'counting' scores on the app until you've got 3 (54 holes) scores in for your first handicap allocation. You should check with your handicap sec to ensure they're ok with you inputting scores directly onto the app as opposed to submitted 3 cards and letting them input your first handicap allocation onto the record. If they're ok with you using the app - then one of your scores will turn green after you've got 54 holes played.

cjfitz wrote: »
    Absolutely, I know this myself. But a consistent 15-22 strokes increase on your best 8 is some achievement. I personally think that if any genuine golfer was in such a poor run of form that they would be avoiding the 3 or 4 casual counting scores per week and just play the regular Sunday competition as normal.

Why would you not submit the casual scores? That's keeping your handicap artificially low. I want a low handicap, but I want it because that's how I'm playing. Not because I'm avoiding putting in all my scores unless I'm playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ceepo wrote: »

There’s no charge and you have to sign in at the clubhouse each time

A few year ago when doing the teams he had 80+ counting competitions on his record

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

It does sound like Chinese whispers, but reading it again I'm pretty sure me and Connachtman are talking about the same person, and the comps are a year apart with Free membership for the following year the prize.

I suppose any system is only as good as the people using it, and if some of them don't have integrity then they are going to abuse it.

@bluenote i agree its not a big issue but there is one or two in everyclub, and with the new system there is no hiding, people can see what they are doing. whether reporting it or not is worth the hassle is another thing.

Not to be argumentative, but what would you report ? "Joe had a load of bad rounds and then he played well one time" ? That's the story of golf since day dot. Even under the old system you were only "supposed" to play to your handicap once every seven rounds or something like that.
    I don't doubt there are a couple of sandbaggers in most clubs, but how do you determine them over the 99% of golfers who mostly play sh1te and every so often play out of their skin ?

I think I think the new system is actually fairer and the more you play the more representative your index is. The old one was supposed to be your potential but the new one is actually what you're shooting. You can't legislate for the fella who is building a handicap, but I think you need to be quite serious about it under WHS, whereas with CONGU you could be a more "casual" bandit.

Meh, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I was against the €5 for the casual counting round but after seeing a couple of local guys’ recent casual games, I’m starting to think maybe this would slow the inflation down. Couple of interesting graphs attached.

that's unbelievable

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Not to be argumentative, but what would you report ? "Joe had a load of bad rounds and then he played well one time" ? That's the story of golf since day dot. Even under the old system you were only "supposed" to play to your handicap once every seven rounds or something like that.
    I don't doubt there are a couple of sandbaggers in most clubs, but how do you determine them over the 99% of golfers who mostly play sh1te and every so often play out of their skin ?

I think I think the new system is actually fairer and the more you play the more representative your index is. The old one was supposed to be your potential but the new one is actually what you're shooting. You can't legislate for the fella who is building a handicap, but I think you need to be quite serious about it under WHS, whereas with CONGU you could be a more "casual" bandit.

Meh, who knows.

I have no idea, you would have to prove it somehow and unless you have played with them and witnessed them deliberately miss shots i don't know how you would. Even then it would be your word against theirs.

that's unbelievable

A nice 15-22 shot increase for 12 rounds straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

A nice 15-22 shot increase for 12 rounds straight.
    They have to have hit the hard cap surely? It's five above your best HI in the last twelve months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They have to have hit the hard cap surely? It's five above your best HI in the last twelve months.

Handicap doesnt make too much difference when its the gross differential that is being rode here. Shoot 1 under par gross off a 7 or a 12 handicap is likely to win the comp no matter what

prawnsambo wrote: »

He is just starting loose his better scores.

Rikand wrote: »
    Handicap doesnt make too much difference when its the gross differential that is being rode here. Shoot 1 under par gross off a 7 or a 12 handicap is likely to win the comp no matter what
    But riding the gross differential will get you an ESR as well. And my point still stands. They can only get so far from their best HI in a year.

He is just starting loose his better scores.
    That's in his last 20. What about in the last 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Played an away round today and the score that showed up on my GolfIreland is wrong by a long way, anything I can do?

It's not a winning score or even a cut but its very wrong.
    I went birdie,double,par,scratch and its showing dbl,bogey,scratch,par

*18th showing as a scratch aswell that I had a bogie on. Difference of six shots from first and last holes. Emailed them to see if the can check the card.

Got sorted via email with the club incase it happens to anyone else, score amended on GolfIreland aswell

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Got sorted via email with the club incase it happens to anyone else, score amended on GolfIreland aswell
    The update to Golf Ireland is almost instantaneous. As soon as it goes into the club software, it's pretty much uploaded to GI in minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Last weekend I had an Index of 21.2, played a stableford Singles comp and I'll admit I played relatively well for once, scored 45 points and the next day I was down to 8.5. It is just a result of me not having enough cards in but it was pretty shocking. A lot of laughs around the club the next day I was out, the biggest cut in history, definitely made a name for myself.

Now there is no way I'm a single figure golfer which is going to mean I am just not going to be able to score well in any comps for a while and with how often I can play I am probably going to have to submit some casual rounds for my Index to average out. So for new golfers being able to submit casual rounds is important I think but I can see how it can easily be abused.

Advertisement