Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah I'm registered with Golf Ireland. I've two scores there which are part of my handicap submissions where I have the physical card gone in as well but was told by the secretary that my initial 3 cards won't appear on GI app unless I pre-registered the round like in those 2 scores. No updates been made and just says handicap pending still in the GI. I'll give them a shout later today and see if there's an issue.
    Well they will appear on your GI record when he enters them on his system. Its automatic. So if they're not there, he hasn't entered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I got cut .5 for a 73 in a medal and then .2 for a 35 in a singles. down to 3.7 now and it seems harsh.

Does it just mean I have some ****e rounds in my last 20 getting weeded out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I got cut .5 for a 73 in a medal and then .2 for a 35 in a singles. down to 3.7 now and it seems harsh.

Not necessarily, bad rounds dropping out shouldnt really have a significant impact. Its just a case that those 2 rounds are better than the previous worst 2 in your 8 counting rounds. You should look at the differential rather than the score itself. Course may have been playing tougher than usual, so a PCC applying, particularly in a medal round

Have you not checked? If you look at your record on Golf Ireland, it's very easy to see what's happening. And btw, it's not 'cuts' any more, It's an average based system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Have you not checked? If you look at your record on Golf Ireland, it's very easy to see what's happening. And btw, it's not 'cuts' any more, It's an average based system.

yes its average, but lets be honest about it. its still a cut if you go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Well they will appear on your GI record when he enters them on his system. Its automatic. So if they're not there, he hasn't entered them.

Just to update on this, got my index today and that is what happened and I can see the scores on GI app. One weird thing though, the h'cap sec text and said I was off 10.6 but when I login to the app it says 12.6. Any ideas why that might be?

Just to update on this, got my index today and that is what happened and I can see the scores on GI app. One weird thing though, the h'cap sec text and said I was off 10.6 but when I login to the app it says 12.6. Any ideas why that might be?
    Few possible reasons. One, he (or the handicap committee) intend to make an adjustment to your handicap index and haven't done so yet - not realising that you can already see it. :)

Or two, thought that the automatic deduction of 2 from your best score differential was an addition.

Or three, a simple miscalculation. It happens.

Basically always check Golf Ireland for your handicap index. That's the one that matters. All club software takes the data from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Few possible reasons. One, he (or the handicap committee) intend to make an adjustment to your handicap index and haven't done so yet - not realising that you can already see it. :)

Or two, thought that the automatic deduction of 2 from your best score differential was an addition.

Or three, a simple miscalculation. It happens.

Basically always check Golf Ireland for your handicap index. That's the one that matters. All club software takes the data from there.

Thanks for that. I was thinking it was maybe a typo on the text but your suggestions are the more likely. Looking at GI it shows 1 counting round which has a score differential of 10.6 for the round so I wonder is that what they're adjusting it to? Will check it tomorrow and see, maybe they plan to cut it as you say and it will apply overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I played an open day at an away course yesterday.
    Signed in through their computer and entered the score successfully. The round showed in the GI app straight away and it was there with the hc adjustment this morning. But now it has disappeared. Anybody know why this might happen? My playing partners score is gone too.

cjfitz wrote: »
    I played an open day at an away course yesterday.
    Signed in through their computer and entered the score successfully. The round showed in the GI app straight away and it was there with the hc adjustment this morning. But now it has disappeared. Anybody know why this might happen? My playing partners score is gone too.
    They may have re-opened the comp to make some changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

If two or more of your counting eight scores are the same, with the same differential, is it the oldest that stops counting if you bring in a better score ?

Russman wrote: »
    If two or more of your counting eight scores are the same, with the same differential, is it the oldest that stops counting if you bring in a better score ?
    Afaik, yeah. Have seen it happen that way.

Edit: Here's an example
    556329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

Afaik, yeah. Have seen it happen that way.

Edit: Here's an example
    556329.jpg

Thanks, seems the sensible thing to do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Just a quick question apologies if it was discussed before, Am I right in saying if I add up my best eight best score differentials and divided the total by eight, That will give me my current handicap index?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

1 of 7 wrote: »
    Just a quick question apologies if it was discussed before, Am I right in saying if I add up my best eight best score differentials and divided the total by eight, That will give me my current handicap index?

Correct, average of the best 8 differentials from your last 20 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yes - providing its your best 8 out of 20. if you have less than the 20 cards then it is a different calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Yes - providing its your best 8 out of 20. if you have less than the 20 cards then it is a different calculation.

Unless it is 3 more than your low index

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

I have a friend who when you add up his differentials, his handicap index is .9 lower than the average of his best eight differentials. He has returned well over twenty scores. Is this a mistake or am I missing something? Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have a friend who when you add up his differentials, his handicap index is .9 lower than the average of his best eight differentials. He has returned well over twenty scores. Is this a mistake or am I missing something? Thanks for the replies.

Has he checked his low index??

He has hit the soft cap is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Played my first stroke play comp at the weekend since the introduction of the new WHS. Decent round with only one hole worse than double bogey which was a 10 on a par 4. When I went to put the score in on howdidido it wouldn't let me put in more than 9 strokes. I tried a par 3 and 5 and discovered I couldn't put in any score of 5x bogey or greater, so par 3 max I could put in was 8 and par 5 was 10. I emailed the handicap secretary and explained I just had to enter my score as a 9 and he just said don't worry about it. So for the round I had a score of 74(should be 75) nett. Handicap dropped from 16.0 to 15.6 because the 9(10) was adjusted down to a 7 on the Golf Ireland app

• Advertisement

Played my first stroke play comp at the weekend since the introduction of the new WHS. Decent round with only one hole worse than double bogey which was a 10 on a par 4. When I went to put the score in on howdidido it wouldn't let me put in more than 9 strokes. I tried a par 3 and 5 and discovered I couldn't put in any score of 5x bogey or greater, so par 3 max I could put in was 8 and par 5 was 10. I emailed the handicap secretary and explained I just had to enter my score as a 9 and he just said don't worry about it. So for the round I had a score of 74(should be 75) nett. Handicap dropped from 16.0 to 15.6 because the 9(10) was adjusted down to a 7 on the Golf Ireland app
    You should be able to put in any score in a strokeplay competition. It's the nature of the comp that people can often have double figures on a hole if they've had a few shots from the tee or other penalty strokes. I thought there was a + and - function on HowDidIDo to increment or decrement the score?

The score on Golf Ireland is correct from a handicap point of view. For handicap purposes all scores above nett double bogey are reduced to nett double bogey to get your adjusted gross score. But for a strokeplay comp, you have to be able to put in your actual hole score or else it's inaccurate. Are you sure it was strokeplay and not a variation like maximum score?

You should be able to put in any score in a strokeplay competition. It's the nature of the comp that people can often have double figures on a hole if they've had a few shots from the tee or other penalty strokes. I thought there was a + and - function on HowDidIDo to increment or decrement the score?

The score on Golf Ireland is correct from a handicap point of view. For handicap purposes all scores above nett double bogey are reduced to nett double bogey to get your adjusted gross score. But for a strokeplay comp, you have to be able to put in your actual hole score or else it's inaccurate. Are you sure it was strokeplay and not a variation like maximum score?

A guy I was playing with that day had a 12 on a par 4 and he experienced the same problem, max he could put in was a 9. The score won't go any higher even though you're pressing the + button. I initially thought maybe it's a problem with the mobile app(he is using an iphone and I was using an android phone) and not the terminal in the clubhouse which I assume some people used to enter scores as well. So I checked other results and for people with really high scores I can see none of them had a score more than quadruple bogey(nett) on any hole. Makes me think someone in our club didn't set up the competition in howdidido correctly? It was a medal comp so definitely strokeplay.

A guy I was playing with that day had a 12 on a par 4 and he experienced the same problem, max he could put in was a 9. The score won't go any higher even though you're pressing the + button. I initially thought maybe it's a problem with the mobile app(he is using an iphone and I was using an android phone) and not the terminal in the clubhouse which I assume some people used to enter scores as well. So I checked other results and for people with really high scores I can see none of them had a score more than quadruple bogey(nett) on any hole. Makes me think someone in our club didn't set up the competition in howdidido correctly? It was a medal comp so definitely strokeplay.
    You can have medal comps in other formats too. Like we have a couple in Max Score format. It's basically strokeplay except you pick up when you reach par plus five without holing out. So either they intended it to be in that format or chose it by mistake. But it sounds very much like that's what it was.

You can have medal comps in other formats too. Like we have a couple in Max Score format. It's basically strokeplay except you pick up when you reach par plus five without holing out. So either they intended it to be in that format or chose it by mistake. But it sounds very much like that's what it was.

Yep absolutely, I'm guessing they did it by accident because the whole point of max stroke is to speed up play and keep people interested if they have a really bad hole, it's not much use if you don't communicate to people that that's the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I scratched a par 5 yesterday. I get one shot on that hole.

I am seeing this on GI:

Gross: (6)*
    Par: 5

Shouldn't I be getting a nett double? like this
    Gross: (8)*

My adj gross is 2 less than I expected.

I scratched a par 5 yesterday. I get one shot on that hole.

I am seeing this on GI:

Gross: (6)*

Shouldn't I be getting a nett double? like this
    Gross: (8)*

My adj gross is 2 less than I expected.
    Did you enter 'X' or '0' (zero)?

'X' means you didn't play the hole and zero means you scratched it. They have the same result competition-wise, but for handicap purposes, not playing the hole is assessed at gross bogey whereas zero (exceeding nett double-bogey) is assessed as nett double-bogey.

Your handicap secretary should have spotted that, but perhaps they don't know about this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Did you enter 'X' or '0' (zero)?

'X' means you didn't play the hole and zero means you scratched it. They have the same result competition-wise, but for handicap purposes, not playing the hole is assessed at gross bogey whereas zero (exceeding nett double-bogey) is assessed as nett double-bogey.

Your handicap secretary should have spotted that, but perhaps they don't know about this either.

OK .. so my fault ... I did it at the Handicap Master terminal.. I pressed NR for that hole. Although looking at another comp .. I see where i also hit NR for a hole I got the nett double. Aaaaargh. So I should put in 0?

Edit: thinking about this I have always put in NR and always got nett double. Maybe i pressed something else yesterday. I can't remember what is on the terminal. Its in my 8, so I guess I should report it.

OK .. so my fault ... I did it at the Handicap Master terminal.. I pressed NR for that hole. Although looking at another comp .. I see where i also hit NR for a hole I got the nett double. Aaaaargh. So I should put in 0?

Edit: thinking about this I have always put in NR and always got nett double. Maybe i pressed something else yesterday. I can't remember what is on the terminal. Its in my 8, so I guess I should report it.
    Yeah, there are too choices other than the numbers - 'No Return' and below that 'Did not play'. Probably a finger fumble. I just put in zero from the number pad as it's less likely to result in an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd like to see hdid change the NRs to net double bogey on the system. When you look at the average score on the hole, it's the average score of those who returned a score. It would give a truer picture of how difficult the holes were on the day.

Also, for your own stats when it shows you your best and worst holes, it can distort what your best hole is. I went through a phase of slicing my drive on 12 and losing the ball (and scratching the hole) while hdid was telling me it was one of my best holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

What happens with a NR? back in the old days you used to get a .1 back. So what happens now?

Advertisement