Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

eoghan104 wrote: »
    OK so then anyone that has a playing handicap of 10 or less is never affected by the 95% calculation?

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hmm, in just realised that I'm basically out of interclub golf now at 2.8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Russman wrote: »
    Is course handicap definitely rounded to just an integer value ?

I'm looking at the top part of page 65 on this link (before Rule 6.2 starts) which would suggest not, I think....
    https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CONGU-Rules-of-Handicapping1.pdf

Yes I believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yes I believe so

But to me the line "Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation." would say its not rounded to an integer ?
    Not arguing with you, just curious as to which is the correct interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I am the same after adjustments, but I can see none of my 3 latest results are in there, that feels wrong, does anyone have the same issue? 10th to 21st October results missing, but they are in golfnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hmm, in just realised that I'm basically out of interclub golf now at 2.8 :(

I would think with the WHS changes Golf Ireland will be revisiting the qualifying criteria for cups & shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

SEORG wrote: »
    I would think with the WHS changes Golf Ireland will be revisiting the qualifying criteria for cups & shields.

According to their website your 1st Jan handicap counts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Russman wrote: »
    But to me the line "Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation." would say its not rounded to an integer ?
    Not arguing with you, just curious as to which is the correct interpretation.
    The tables that were issued only show integers. I posted a sample earlier today. Not sure which thread it's on, but it's tabulated with a range of HIs to an integer course handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Yeah, but they haven't confirmed the handicap limits which may change.

SEORG wrote: »
    Yeah, but they haven't confirmed the handicap limits which may change.
    They will change. They'll wait to see where people end up on the HI scale and that will be the basis of the new ranges. So if before, the limit was (say) 18 for a particular cup or shield, the new limit will probably be the equivalent from an average slope rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I think it will be impossible (at least very unfair) to use the handicap index as the qualifying criteria when there is so much fluctuation between difficulty of courses. I don't have any idea on a solution though.

Let's say that Junior Cup qualifying is in Heritage and Bray golf club. Using HI of 4 as criteria there will be people who would play off 6/7 in Heritage and 3/4 in Bray. That's too much of a gap.

I think it will be impossible (at least very unfair) to use the handicap index as the qualifying criteria when there is so much fluctuation between difficulty of courses. I don't have any idea on a solution though.

Let's say that Junior Cup qualifying is in Heritage and Bray golf club. Using HI of 4 as criteria there will be people who would play off 6/7 in Heritage and 3/4 in Bray. That's too much of a gap.
    That's why I think it will be based on an 'average' slope rating. Somewhere around the 125-128 mark.

But the whole point of the WHS is to make it fair. I think using the HI for interclub is very fair.
    Take your example above, the heritage golfer who plays off 4 is obviously a much better golfer than the bray golfer who plays off 4 as it is a much tougher course. Was it really fair before that the bray lad has to go and play a much tougher course against a better golfer? Or for the heritage lad to visit a course that would be easy for him to play the local who The course would be average for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Old handicap was 13.7, and my WHS is 6.8. Don't think that's correct :confused:

And it's only showing 2 rounds for the entire year. Both off the blues in Tullamore. And only one of those (my best score of the year) was used in the calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

But the whole point of the WHS is to make it fair. I think using the HI for interclub is very fair.
    Take your example above, the heritage golfer who plays off 4 is obviously a much better golfer than the bray golfer who plays off 4 as it is a much tougher course. Was it really fair before that the bray lad has to go and play a much tougher course against a better golfer? Or for the heritage lad to visit a course that would be easy for him to play the local who The course would be average for?

But wouldn't the Bray golfer have to shoot significantly lower rounds than the Heritage golfer to get to 4? If the system is working correctly then there should be no difference as the calculation are taking course difficulty into account.
    That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

TBH if its not based on handicap index then the whole thing is a waste of everyone's time and effort. Sure what's the point in going to a system that's supposed to give a level playing field if you're not going to use it ?
    Surely the ONLY thing it can be based on is the Index, as everything else has a different variable in the mix, no ?

My simplistic understanding was that two guys of the same theoretical ability would both play off the same index. If they're in different clubs, they'll have different course handicaps, depending on the course ratings but if they play the same course they'll play off the same course handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I've gone from 14.1 to 17.

Playing handicap will be 15 from the whites and 16 from the blues in Corballis. If I play in an open at home in Tramore I'll be 20 from the whites and 21 from the blues.

To be honest with the way I've played the last while in Corballis, you couldn't have given me a handicap that I could have played to I've been so bad. That said, 20 from the whites in Tramore seems a bit crazy to be frank. I played there once since coming back to golf and played well, but not amazing. With the new handicap I'd have had 42 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Still not right for me.
    Oct scores in but all scores are down as from blue tees where should be white (and for my course that’s a 129 vs 125 slope) and only PCC in for scores from 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Well wrong for me too. No away scores showing and all home comps showing off very back tees. Away scores were showing for me yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

Anyone else not receiving a verification email when signing up? Not in my spam folder either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pacly wrote: »
    Anyone else not receiving a verification email when signing up? Not in my spam folder either.

Yeah, can take a few hours to arrive, don't keep hitting resend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The 95% playing handicap adjustment for stroke play and stableford will affect the higher handicappers more.

Sorry, can you explain the 95%, or where did that come from, as i didn't see any mention of it before.

As an example my HI is 21, which gives me a a course HC of 22 @ 21*120/113.
    Where does the 95% come into it.

Sorry if it has been answered before and I missed it.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Ceepo wrote: »
    Sorry, can you explain the 95%, or where did that come from, as i didn't see any mention of it before.

As an example my HI is 21, which gives me a a course HC of 22 @ 21*120/113.
    Where does the 95% come into it.

Sorry if it has been answered before and I missed it.

TIA

to balance out the increase in Course Handicaps of higher handicap players against that of lower handicap players.

to balance out the increase in Course Handicaps of higher handicap players against that of lower handicap players.

It’s a bit daft really. I mentioned to my dad earlier on, he was just lost.

I think some sort of single calculation could have and should have been worked to accommodate this Adjustment when getting your course handicap from your HI. It is very confusing.

Thanks.

So am I right in thinking for the purposes of a competition (stableford or stroke) i should calculate as follows 21*120/113*95 which would give me 21.8.

The question is why did they have to make something that was straight forward complicated.
    Like a HI is is not really a HI if you have to take 95% if it.

Thanks.

So am I right in thinking for the purposes of a competition (stableford or stroke) i should calculate as follows 21*120/113*95 which would give me 21.8.

The question is why did they have to make something that was straight forward complicated.
    Like a HI is is not really a HI if you have to take 95% if it.
    But you don’t.
    You first have to turn your HI into a course handicap and then take 95% of that............

Totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’m not sure a fully agree with the 95%, I was just talking with a fellow member on the this.

Imagine, for instance, a singles competition on a course with a slope of 113. All players will play off their handicap index. However, a "bogey" player will lose 5% (a full shot for a 20 handicapper) whereas the scratch player won't lose anything. How can that be fair?

But you don’t.
    You first have to turn your HI into a course handicap and then take 95% of that............

Totally agree with you.

It works out the same calculation.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Looks like it will be easy enough when people get used to it, at least at home course, few issues to work out but our club site (IG based) gives you playing handicap for each set of tees along with your index. Can see it be confusing for people which one to write on card at first but otherwise will be easy enough. Presu,ably the app will too, currently mostly giving NaN results due to slope errors.

• Advertisement

It works out the same calculation.
    Not unless you're turning the first calculation into an integer before taking 95%

Advertisement