Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have cancer, during the winter I really struggle due to side effects of my meds. I try get out twice a week once the weather subsides

Both years I have gone out to 20 point something from 17.0 activating the soft cap. Havent got to the hard cap YET.

I am back down to 17.3 again this year. And those extra shots I get confidence that helps me get back down.

This year my differential is only below 18.0 THREE times. I have one 42 points. But my reductions have come mostly with scores in the range of 34-37

Last year I had SIX scores under 18.0, best score 38 points. At this point of last year I only had three under 18.0 so hopefully 3 more coming this year too (51 qualifying scores last year and 47 so far this year)

WHS definitely works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

What I'm thinking is that for a net -4 you'd be cut 1.2 if you're a category 3 golfer. I don't believe I ever got a cut of that much.

I did have a 39 point round now that I think of it. That was 39 points, 39 putts round. A funny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's interesting to get different perspectives, I liked the buffer zone as form me, it was always a target if the round wasn't going well and I saw it as a bit of an achievement if I scrapped in.

My mindset with a bad round now is that it'll just be one of the 12 bad from 20.

But others find the new system as more of a motivation when having these bad round, I'm aware of that.

I've a friend who's pending back surgery but still playing. He went from 4 (2021) to 8 (2022) HC. Was playing super golf in 2021 but not so much this year until last month. He won a couple of open comps lately (38 & 40 points) and his handicap actually went up slightly after them because two really low rounds from 2021 were dropping out. I know that's just the mechanics of the new system but it's hard getting your head around two increases after two wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

For me, I didn't really care about 0.1s because in the end they're "only 0.1" and the most you could go out is a shot. Now, a score dropping out can cause you to go up 0.3 or 0.4 and then if you have a few scores in a row it can really snowball if you don't replace them. That gives me the extra motivation to put in as best a score as I can because you never know when a 34 or 35 points might be your 8th score.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

Definitely agree with your last bit, it does just seem so inherently "wrong" to get an increase after a win, or that two guys could both shoot 38pts and one might get cut and one might go up.

This has definitely been much more my attitude with WHS, I definitely try harder for longer when on a bad round, or to try turn a bad round into just a poor one. You just never know when you might "need" it. Whereas previously, two shots or ten shots outside the buffer meant the same thing.

• Advertisement

I haven't got my head around to that mindset yet if I'm being honest.

With Congu, for me, there was always a result from any particular round be it a cut, buffer or 0.1.

I do get that same sense when I've a counting round due to drop off under WHS, but when I've a few non-counting rounds in a row coming up, my default attitude/natural tendency is to look at them as free shots at a reduction to a certain extent. A good round is a bonus but a bad round has no real effect*.

*I know that's not technically correct, they could all count at some stage, but that same pressure just isn't there... that could be a good or bad thing over time, but I think I'm naturally more inclined to focus more when there's some pressure on.

Guess it's just up to me to try to change that mindset.

I'm still like that too, to an extent. I recently went through a period where I had 5 counting scores in a row drop out so every round felt pressurised (golf for me is all about reducing my handicap). I'm playing this weekend and last night looked at the app and saw I have three non counting scores dropping out next so there was an element of "phew, less pressure to score". But mid round I'll still think about turning the score into the best one possible as it could count in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good one doing the rounds at the minute concerning rathbane golf club. Not sure if I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread. An interesting voice note going with the results too. If you haven't gotten it in WhatsApp yet, you probably will soon.

Would imagine it would be pretty hard to prove though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Came through in a group today alright, seems outrageous

Can you summarise it? I definitely won't get it on WhatsApp

• Advertisement

• Guy has won 4 out of 6 medals
    • In between that tons of general play rounds in 110-130 range
    • Shot 122 in a general play round, went out and shot gross 74 off 19 (par 70 course) in the last medal a couple of days later

We all struggle for a bit of consistency from time to time

Well that's just cheating and should be dealt with accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

Has to be a wind up surely, no ?? I mean, jaysus..........

The WhatsApp did include a screenshot from HDID showing a net 55 from a 19 handicap as the winning score

Also mentions that the guy in question is the handicap secretary of the golf club....

True

He won the April and May medals

Missed the June and July ones

But won the August and September medals afterwards.

Clearly went through a bad spell in the mid summer

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Looked up this guy on Golf Ireland to look at his record and its nothing like was said in the whatapp message. He has 1 general play score in his last 20 scores and that was 94. 74 is still 10 shots better than his next best score. 103 is his highest score in last 20. Plays alot, on average 3-4 times a week

I'm not able to see his General play scores, but his nett scores in the 6 monthly medals so far are ::

April, playing off a handicap of 21 - 64 nett (winner)

May, playing off a handicap of 21 - 62 nett (winner)

June, playing off a handicap of 22 - 67 nett ( not in the prizes )

July, playing off a handicap of 21 - 65 nett (5th)

August, playing off a handicap of 21 - 63 nett (winner)

September, playing off a handicap of 19 - 55 nett (winner)

You can say his last 20 rounds are not alarming and maybe that explains why he's off 19 now instead of his normal 21/22. But to me, the really alarming thing is that despite those excellent scores in each month. His handicap did. not. budge from month to month and even for June, it went up a shot!

Either there is something seriously messed up with the player or there is something seriously messed up at that club. How are their interclub teams looking I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

How is he playing 3-4 times a week and not putting in GP scores? Lots of opens?

• Advertisement

Yep, if you look at the howdidido for the club, they have a shitload of comps during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Unless I’m mistaken. You can’t just look someone up on Golf Ireland. You must have their GUI number. Only exception is if you are in same club.

also, golf Ireland doesn’t tell you which are GP scores and which aren’t

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah. That information is only available to people who have access to the Golf Ireland clubhouse portal for the club concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

We had a comp at the weekend with different tees in use for different handicap ranges. I had 1 higher handicapper in the group disgusted he had to use the forward tees while we were off the back ones. It seems as if the WHS concept of using different tees for different categories is either not getting through to some or resented by others

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think it’s a good idea…… but. Can’t be same comp. Have a green comp, a white comp and a blue comp. But it’s not right that someone can play off the green tees against someone playing from the blues. It’s a different course

The handicap ranges are a decent guide as to what tees you should use, but far from perfect. I'd be annoyed if I gad to play from a forward one due to my handicap. I'd rather people have choice as to what tee they play from rather than it be dictated. So give people the choice of playing from whites or greens for example. You'd find a lot of the older lads and higher handicap guys would choose to play from the greens. Mark crosefield had a couple of videos on what tees you should play from. He was saying that the best general advice is to base it on your distance. Which obviously has problems, but it's better than handicap.

You'd obviously end up with the odd 30 handicapper playing from the blues when they really shouldn't, but if they're slowing things up regularly the club could have a word with them.

I'd love to play courses with more length though. I play with high handicap guys most often, so we tend to go from the greens. It gets frustrating that I hardly get to use more than a wedge on the par 4s for my second. I'd love to see more clubs do this. Fair play to the ones that are.

You're right, but I'd be happy to overlook it.

Anyway, wasn't there a combined men's and womens euro tour event this year? Swedish open or something. I assume they played from different tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

We have been doing a variation on this: You choose what tees you play from, the handicap is based on playing from the greens with an extra shot for the whites and two more for the blues (think that's it). One competition and category prizes only. Some outrageous scores in category 4 (> 18 hc) but otherwise fairly reasonable. Still have loads of people insisting on playing off the blues who really shouldn't. Rounds a bit slow as a consequence - 20 mins longer than usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

there were different comps, stableford versus stroke but the high handicap was indignant about it, felt he was being treated as lesser for having the play the forward tees in a different format

Advertisement