Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop recommendations, please.

• 30-10-2020 8:30pm

Hi,

I intend buying a new windows OS laptop for my son, and am looking for recommendations.

Budget is around €1500. Prefer 15 - 16" screen. Doesn't need to be lightweight - I'd prefer a metal case, but its not a deal breaker.

Main use will be video calling, browsing, watching films, maybe a bit of video streaming, and music.
    Needs to run Office suite.
    Basically, I'm sick of buying laptops that give bang for buck, but don't last. So, I'm looking for something with a decent spec, combined with durability.

Prefer core I7 CPU, if possible - and something I can repair myself, if necessary, so, no soldered CPU's, RAM, or whatever.

Thanks in advance, I'm really looking forward to your suggestions.

Comments

this is well enough built and probably all you need for £600

https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IH-BQ027-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-A15-FA506IH-BQ027-(NO-OP_2913034.html

comes without windows - download from microsoft and install from usb key

powerful cpu (beats the 6-core intel i7's like the 10750h). amd are ahead of intel currently.

gpu that allows for some gaming and / or design software

else no gpu but metal build and more portable

https://www.hihonor.com/global/products/laptop/honor-magicbook-pro/

ram is soldered though but 16gb - won't need more (soldered ram very common outside gaming laptops these days)

all cpu's are soldered in laptops for the last 10 years or so.

tbh the asus is all you need

Thanks. That Asus is tempting.
    I'd personally be happy enough with it.
    I'll confess to having a soft spot for Asus.

He wants 16Gb RAM though, sorry, I should have specified. Also, the most powerful CPU we can get for that budget, in an attempt to future proof it as much as possible.

So, I suppose we're looking at something close to a gaming laptop.

Price is flexible - he just wants a laptop that he's going to get a few years out of, and he doesn't mind paying a bit extra to get what he wants.

Thanks again.

Thanks. That Asus is tempting.
    I'd personally be happy enough with it.
    I'll confess to having a soft spot for Asus.

He wants 16Gb RAM though, sorry, I should have specified. Also, the most powerful CPU we can get for that budget, in an attempt to future proof it as much as possible.

So, I suppose we're looking at something close to a gaming laptop.

Price is flexible - he just wants a laptop that he's going to get a few years out of, and he doesn't mind paying a bit extra to get what he wants.

Thanks again.

the 4600h is a very powerful cpu
    take a look at the benchmark scores
    it's not going to restrict you in any way for the next 5 plus years cpu wise

only 8gb ram? buy another 8gb ram ddr4 sodimm on amazon for €40 and take all of 10 minutes to stick it in to have.... voila 16gb ram

you can spend more if you want but that would be going down the route of getting a more powerful gpu card in a more expensive gaming laptop, not for a better cpu

Here's one with the most powerful laptop cpu you can currently get - the 8-core AMD 4800h

and a more powerful 1660ti gpu card

also has a much better screen

16gb ram, 1 terabyte ssd

more solid laptop build design

delivers directly to Ireland so full warranty coverage

£1150

https://www.box.co.uk/82B10061UK-Lenovo-Legion-5_3064873.html

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.
    I had been looking at an Asus with Ryzen 7 cpu, but that Lenovo does it for me! Ticks all the boxes, so, thats the one.

Mind you, I might just find the Asus in my Christmas stocking, too.

Thanks again, everyone.

Advertisement