Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting season suspended due to lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tudderone wrote: »
    Is there no end to this bloody thing ? Pig sick of it at this stage :mad:.

I 'm guessing and to misquote the old Sager & Evans song...In the year 2025 maybe?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

[QUOTE=Cass;115686651

With the recent court case and out of court decision....[/QUOTE]

What’s an out of court decision?

A non-binding legal agreement that someone was a silly bollix and won't do it again, because they were wrong and are now looking at the court doors and are gonna lose... or they have a choice to go into the courtroom and prove to all that they are the latter description?:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A non-binding legal agreement that someone was a silly bollix and won't do it again, because they were wrong and are now looking at the court doors and are gonna lose... or they have a choice to go into the courtroom and prove to all that they are the latter description?:confused:

The silly bollix still has it on the Séidóg’s website:

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/what-about-pheasant-shooting-during-level-5-.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A non-binding legal agreement that someone was a silly bollix and won't do it again,

Is that a direct quote of the legislation. :D:D:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

When you strip away all the high flaunting and fancy langauge that costs a lot of money....:pac:

Well, has everyone got a freezer full of pheasants at this stage? I went out for a few hours today, got a few snipe, nothing else about. I expected duck on the ponds after the storms but met none, no woodcock in the glens either. I think it is too cold for the dog to get pheasant scents.

Nope,but I got a small chest freezer full of Sika calf.Of which I cooked and partook of this evening Strip loin done in red wine and chocolate sauce ala mr G Ramsey with Bavarian egg noodles. Gotta say Sika is one of the nicest eating deer I've ever come across!:)
    A stroll tomorrow with the 20 GA for snipe is in order methinks.

Nope,but I got a small chest freezer full of Sika calf.Of which I cooked and partook of this evening Strip loin done in red wine and chocolate sauce ala mr G Ramsey with Bavarian egg noodles. Gotta say Sika is one of the nicest eating deer I've ever come across!:)
    A stroll tomorrow with the 20 GA for snipe is in order methinks.

Your dinner sounds great... I don’t hunt deer but I get an odd one from buddies and I buy venison steaks in the English market in Cork. Plenty of snipe around, using the 20 is a very gentlemanly approach. We used to have a 16 and it hit every bit as hard as the 12s but having mixed shells in the house is risky.

When I was a kid, 14 or 15i managed to drop a four in one day..Once...with a single shot hammer 410, walked up over dogs.:p

yeah, that about the 20 is a point.its why I keep the ammo separate from the other ammo and in a low count amount.Its also why nowadays 20GA is high viz yellow.

• Advertisement

When I was a kid, 14 or 15i managed to drop a four in one day..Once...with a single shot hammer 410, walked up over dogs.:p

yeah, that about the 20 is a point.its why I keep the ammo separate from the other ammo and in a low count amount.Its also why nowadays 20GA is high viz yellow.

I have a .22 Hornet I never use, I’ve been told I need heavier artillery for deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Well, has everyone got a freezer full of pheasants at this stage? I went out for a few hours today, got a few snipe, nothing else about. I expected duck on the ponds after the storms but met none, no woodcock in the glens either. I think it is too cold for the dog to get pheasant scents.

Yep - made a big batch of pheasant/pork meatballs, handy way to freeze them. Plus a good few duck gone in, think they'll be done for crispy duck pancakes new years eve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Springwell wrote: »
    Yep - made a big batch of pheasant/pork meatballs, handy way to freeze them. Plus a good few duck gone in, think they'll be done for crispy duck pancakes new years eve

Sounds lovely.

I have a .22 Hornet I never use, I’ve been told I need heavier artillery for deer.

The 22 Hornet has probably taken more deer under dubious circumstances than any other calibre on the planet.Known as the poachers calibre,it will do the job under the right conditions, but if you want to be legal and have enough oomph to drop anything on offer in Ireland a .243 or 308 is plenty gun.

The 22 Hornet has probably taken more deer under dubious circumstances than any other calibre on the planet.Known as the poachers calibre,it will do the job under the right conditions, but if you want to be legal and have enough oomph to drop anything on offer in Ireland a .243 or 308 is plenty gun.

It’s damn near useless then. The rounds are too expensive for rabbits and the bang is so loud you only get one shot.

its a good foxing round,gone a bit out of favour since .223 came in,but still someone might take it on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

With the full lockdown in place are you permitted to deer stalk within your 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

NARGC Statement 31.12.’20
    regarding Level 5
    Covid 19 Restrictions

See attached Statement from An Taoiseach, Mr. Micheal Martin, TD

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/news-room/news/spotlights/statement_-_an_taoiseach_michel_martin_-_move_to_full_level_5.html

These further restrictions to a full Level 5 are significant to us, as follows:
    The only game or recreational shooting activity we can now engage in, is rough shooting done within 5km of our place of residence.
    This must be done on our own or with someone from our family bubble.

The NARGC urges all its Members to employ common sense and personal responsibility.
    All HSE Guidelines and good practices must always be strictly followed.

Covid-19 infection rates have spiked in recent days, and while we know our activity is very safe, we must always ensure our activities, from when we leave our dwelling until we return, do not contribute in any way to the spread of the virus.

Stay safe, and hopefully 2021 will be better.

Dan Curley
    NATIONAL CHAIRMAN

Well, the NARGC statement just posted here says rough shooting only, I wouldn’t consider deer stalking to be rough shooting, but the fundamental law hadn’t changed - I would say you are ok as a matter of law. You might piss off your local NARGC fundamentalist fanatics but that’s up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Thanks for the clarity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

We may exercise within 5km of our homes. Provided the hunting you're engaging in involves some kind of exercise you are fine from the legal point of view.

Vermin control as an essential service may be performed outside the 5km limit. Probably best you have a letter from the farmer stating you are engaging in agricultural work, in case you are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Yes as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well, the NARGC statement just posted here says rough shooting only, I wouldn’t consider deer stalking to be rough shooting, but the fundamental law hadn’t changed - I would say you are ok as a matter of law. You might piss off your local NARGC fundamentalist fanatics but that’s up to you.

That’s more than likely because the freewheeling legal interpretation published by AGS at the start of the pheasant season specifically mentioned pheasant shooting. The deer season was already well underway by then and wasn’t even mentioned.

That’s more than likely because the freewheeling legal interpretation published by AGS at the start of the pheasant season specifically mentioned pheasant shooting. The deer season was already well underway by then and wasn’t even mentioned.

Good comment, but the Garda webpage (which is still up) went on to mention sport shooting generally, which an over-zealous Officer could take to mean deer shooting. It was clear from the outset that whatever eejit drafted that webpage hadn’t a clue about any kind of hunting with firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kunekunesika

During the first lockdown, I was issued with a letter from the dept, with a section 42. This letter addressed to the garda in my area, stated that I was deemed to be an essential farm worker while shooting deer on this section. I didn't request this letter.
    So I,ve shot away in this area, protecting a large field of turnips. I haven't shot consistently in other areas due to the various county bans etc.
    My main test is will the farmer rigoursly defend my shooting if he gets a call. My turnip field farmer would have me pitch a tent in the field if possible. The others would probably say leave the deer alone until after lockdown, if asked? And I haven't asked.
    We all have different situations, and as long as we are doing our best to stop this virus, we should be fine.
    Sometimes, no is the most difficult, but correct answer.
    Stay safe.

My interpretation is:
    • If you are going out within the 5km limit, on your own or with member from your family "bubble", you are okay.

• If you are going out beyond the 5km limit - you will need a letter from the landowner stating that your are controlling deer as part of vermin control which is an essential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Under Level 5, you are allowed to travel outside the 5km limit to get food....

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Under Level 5, you are allowed to travel outside the 5km limit to get food....

...with a gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

...with a gun?

To get food, what you deem as food is up to you, then yes IMO

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    To get food, what you deem as food is up to you, then yes IMO

Rough shooting quarry - pheasant, woodcock, snipe, duck and pigeons can all be classed as food items.

The NARGC statement states that rough shooting can only take place within the 5KM limit.

Advertisement