Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting season suspended due to lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

The Antis used to protest at the Dublin south county hunt, which was a drag hunt (the hounds followed the scent of a sack of fox-pee or something like that), years ago. They were a bit commie/antifa back then and i presume they still are. It was as much about class warfare and all that rubbish as animal rights.

GooseB wrote: »
    The lockdown started at midnight on Wednesday the 21st of October for 6 weeks. That'll take us up to midnight on the 2nd of December provided it doesn't get extended further.

That's a Wednesday. I'll have to head out before work so :D

GooseB wrote: »
    The lockdown started at midnight on Wednesday the 21st of October for 6 weeks. That'll take us up to midnight on the 2nd of December provided it doesn't get extended further.

Whats the number of cases/deaths now, haven't seen any numbers for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tudderone wrote: »
    True, dublin wasn't as bad then as it is now. But the notion in my head of various orgs all sitting around spying on that wright eejit, is bordering on the hilarious.

It was quite funny actually, and that was happening. The SB sitting outside in a Fiesta van in a side alley on a double yellow for four hours with two burly lads in it didn't look suss at all.:P:P
    You'll have to wait until I write it.it was a comedy of errors and Sod's law of the Seas and what surveillance can be like in real-time.:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dazzamot

What's the story with shooting pigeons lads....within 5k on field that's taking a battering

• Advertisement

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Well, it’s an English system so you can’t expect it to be as efficient as the German way of doing things

Yeah true, seeing Herman Goering as Reich master of the hunt banned "Par Force" hunting in the mid-1930s as being unsporting and animal cruelty, along with any form of vivisection and prison terms or heavy fines for animal cruelty in the 3rd Reich, and it's one of the good few Nazi laws the new Fed German Republic kept on its books,so we'll never know.:cool:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well, it’s an English system so you can’t expect it to be as efficient as the German way of doing things

Yeah true, seeing Herman Goering as Reich master of the hunt banned "Par Force" hunting in the mid-1930s as being unsporting and animal cruelty, along with any form of vivisection and prison terms or heavy fines for animal cruelty in the 3rd Reich, and it's one of the good few Nazi laws the new Fed German Republic kept on its books,so we'll never know.:cool:

I have actually seen Goering’s Fieldmarshall’s baton, the one he was usually holding in photographs. It is in West Point.
    I spent a few days with a German jagergruppe a few years back. They take cruelty issues very seriously. There is one policeman dedicated to regulating the hunting, he tests the hunters and the dogs. The dog had to be able to follow a blood trail after a wounded deer so that it doesn’t suffer. The dog does an exam, and gets a three-digit number tattooed on its ear. After a set period, the dog does another exam, and if it passes, it gets three more digits. You can’t hunt with or breed off of a dog unless it has the six-digit number. They mostly hunted wild boar and deer, they hated foxes because they carry rabies in Germany. They had great value on woodcock, they are scarce in the Black Forest area. All the hunters wear a special uniform and they are all musicians as well, it’s a huge cultural thing to be a jäger.

Dazzamot wrote: »
    What's the story with shooting pigeons lads....within 5k on field that's taking a battering

I would say you are perfectly entitled to shoot them. But, thanks to the publicity, busybodies are now phoning the guards and even gun club officers when they hear shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Fair enough. Although I think tying this form of hunting to our causes hurts us. It's hard to justify using a pack of dogs to kill a fox when one bullet could do the job.

To be honest I have very little interest in fox hunting itself. BUT, the reality is, more fox's are left injured from a gun, than from a pack of hounds. That's just fact, no matter what way you look at it. Yes, we all want to justify our own interests, and distance ourselves from one's we don't particularly agree with, but that will result in us acting just like those anti's we dispise. We all know, if the anti's get their way, they'll take more than just fox hunting.

Remember, as far as their concerned, it's all cruelty. Shooting fox's, hunting rabbits, ferreting, ratting with terriers, its all the same to them. They've got a lot banned in the UK, it'll happen here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dazzamot

I would say you are perfectly entitled to shoot them. But, thanks to the publicity, busybodies are now phoning the guards and even gun club officers when they hear shots.

I know what your saying shot the same field 3 weeks ago just before the guards came up with their pie in the sky interpretation and had a knock at the door that evening from another club member wanting to know what I was shooting!

• Advertisement

I know what your saying shot the same field 3 weeks ago just before the guards came up with their pie in the sky interpretation and had a knock at the door that evening from another club member wanting to know what I was shooting!

Give both the same “Anglo-Saxon farewell”.

. All the hunters wear a special uniform and they are all musicians as well, it’s a huge cultural thing to be a jäger.

Not a hobby, it's a lifestyle choice over there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Could you put up a picture here?

No. Copyright SI prevents me doing that as its classed as copyright infringement. Its why we lost the Press Clippings thread some years back.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Restrictions are lifted next Saturday.
    No confirmation but I think that's when the original 6 week lockdown ends.
    No, they're not.

The lockdown is for 6 weeks and due to end on December 1st or 2nd. Not sure which. Next week is only the end of November, so still a few days to go after that. Assuming the lockdown is lifted that is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

If they are causing crop damage then you can shoot them, within the 5km limit. I've heard of lads being stopped and asked to produce letters from the landowner/farmer to prove they are needed for crop protection, which to me is not only overkill but foolish as no farmer i know would do such a thing, but if you can get it, get it.

Talk to the landowner and ask them if they would mind if AGS rang them, if you get stopped and gave AGS the landowner's number, to confirm you were needed.

In any case CYA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Unfortunately like his pal in Callan, they both got off on technicalities...
    Pity, as otherwise, they would have "form" for those events.
    Give them time and enough rope and like most of those edjits who post on FB like Lensitir ANTIFA/hunt sabs[seems to be run by some Leftist loon who likes getting his head rearranged at Yellow Vest, National Party etc protests], Munster, Connaught Hunt sabs, will hang themselves or commit some sort of illegal activities that will bring the full law down on themselves.

Like the time the Boul Bernie Wright decided to bring a former Loyalist bomb maker down to a meeting in Dublin in a certain pub on Batchelor's walk in the mid-90s.To discuss "tactics," Think there were more 3 letter agencies both homegrown and from across the water and Border in and outside that pub that Saturday in November many years ago....Another chapter in my memoirs:D:D

Who says emeyefive, the ra, and the Garda could never have common purpose must have been wrong on that occasion....lol

Who says emeyefive, the ra, and the Garda could never have common purpose must have been wrong on that occasion....lol

Am I missing something? what has this got to do with the rough shooting ban?

Don't worry about it JCJCJC...
    We tend to wander off topics around here a good bit and explore interesting side roads that still have relevance to the main topic. Hang around here long enough and you'll get used to it .;):)

Don't worry about it JCJCJC...
    We tend to wander off topics around here a good bit and explore interesting side roads that still have relevance to the main topic. Hang around here long enough and you'll get used to it .;):)

Contextually relevant I think it’s called Grizzly....

Am I missing something? what has this got to do with the rough shooting ban?

Anti's being lapped up with paramilitaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Lone hunter 22wmr

Relaxing restrictions next week, fingers crossed we get to fire a few shots , it would be a hard Christmas sitting at home otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The silence is deafening on the recreational hunting ban

grassroot1 wrote: »
    The silence is deafening on the recreational hunting ban

...on the illegal recreational hunting ban you mean. On my way to work this morning I was thinking about what a grand morning it would be to go out shooting for a few hours, and didn't a woodcock rise from the roadside just as I had the thought.
    If the lockdown is lifted before the eighth, Judge Meenan probably won't hear the matter, unless the applicant's barrister is very lucky. That means the question is still open. The next best thing is to put a parliamentary question to the Minister on it. If I was in South Kerry, I'd have Danny on it long ago, but I'm not, unfortunately.
    Pity none of the opposition parties and the independent lucky-bag lot don't know anything about guns and shooting. Well, pheasant shooting anyway ...

Since the ban is conditionally linked with “level 5” restrictions, no “level 5” means no ban in my opinion. Golf, tennis etc etc are back from next Tuesday, December 1st and I’ll be out shooting.

What about the next lockdown though ? There'll be one after Christmas i reckon. The boffins are predicting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

No INTERCOUNTY travel allowed until Dec 18th and then only till Jan 6th.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

534389.png

No INTERCOUNTY travel allowed until Dec 18th and then only till Jan 6th.

So lets have st Stephens day shoots in our own counties in parties of six? from 3 different households? Or whatever the current convoluted law is on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

How about we all gang together for a hearing on 8th Dec, united as shooting bodies of Ireland, and attach ourselves, as interested bodies to the High Court case listed.

Am lacking in exact juris speak, but someone must have better understanding and I know there is an exact phrase (somewhere)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

How about we all gang together for a hearing on 8th Dec, united as shooting bodies of Ireland, and attach ourselves, as interested bodies to the High Court case listed.

Am lacking in exact juris speak, but someone must have better understanding and I know there is an exact phrase (somewhere)

it will be interesting as there will probably be another shutdown in Jan-Feb

Advertisement