Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It begins and ends with "owning the libtards"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

He has kept his promise of Making America Great Again and I'd vote for a person that keeps his promises.

Not a trump supporter...think american politics is entirely corrupt tbh

But from my reading of it

Trumps supporters take him seriously,but not literally

Where as his rivals,take him literally,but not seriously

Hence why the outragous comments/tweets etc end in endless circular rows,as neither side is willing to view it from others perspective,only hurl abuse out of frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Trump supporters are not influenced by the mainstream media. We make up our own minds about what is true and what is not based on facts and evidence. He is not perfect (who is?) but he is not near as bad as he is made out to be. He is the first president to not start any new wars - the global elites LOVE war and that is why he takes so much flack. The elites use their media arm to seed hate and division among the general populous and like sheep, most people lap it up. Donald Trump comes off as rude for being exactly what every politician should be - honest. The irony of it all is truly mind bending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Trump supporters are not influenced by the mainstream media. We make up our own minds about what is true and what is not based on facts and evidence. He is not perfect (who is?) but he is not near as bad as he is made out to be. He is the first president to not start any new wars - the global elites LOVE war and that is why he takes so much flack. The elites use their media arm to seed hate and division among the general populous and like sheep, most people lap it up. Donald Trump comes off as rude for being exactly what every politician should be - honest. The irony of it all is truly mind bending.

"Facts and evidence". Lol!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No one in the last 100 years of American politics has sown more hate and division in America that Donald Trump.

But conspiracy theory loving right wing wet brains eat up his schtick for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have friends in the USA - not citizens yet, so they couldn't vote - but when they talked about supporting Trump, it was all about what he could do for them. Jobs, immigration, the cost of gas ... not much more. Larger considerations such as the status of the USA in the world were not on the radar at all. They could hold their noses because they thought Trump was going to make their lives better.

Another important point about the 2016 election was that Hillary Clinton was really the wrong candidate for the Democrats. Sexism was only a small part of the story. She was "establishment", tainted with her husband's legacy (ew), unlike Trump who claimed to be a real independent, despite hitching his little red wagon to the Republican Party. Hillary made her contempt for the "heartland" Americans clear with her "basket of deplorables" remarks. Biden isn't much better, but he's sufficiently better. The point is that many votes for Trump were really votes against the Democratic Party and their candidates: negative voting.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That first sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No one in the last 100 years of American politics has sown more hate and division in America that Donald Trump.

I think you'll find it is the media sewing hate. That is how it looks from a rational perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

"Facts and evidence". Lol!

People like you are what makes Trump so popular, keep up the good work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I think you'll find it is the media sewing hate. That is how it looks from a rational perspective.

Really? Its the media eh ?

https://www.vox.com/21506029/trump-violence-tweets-racist-hate-speech

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We?

Are you American?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He has kept his promise of Making America Great Again and I'd vote for a person that keeps his promises.

Clearly, which is why he was using the same slogan again this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,316 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He has made America a bastion of craziness, hate, division and ridicule...

If this is great to you, then I guess this is the type of person that follows Trump

A megalomaniac nutcase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

As someone asked last week. When was America last great? And what has actually improved for the average person in America since he took charge?

I had thought trump won the rust belt at the Last election because he said he was bringing manufacturing back while democrats were saying the jobs weren't coming back. The US lost over 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000. Free trade agreements were to blame, trump was all on about deals this and deals that. Nobody else really offered a renegotiation stance like he did.

https://www.epi.org/publication/manufacturing-job-loss-trade-not-productivity-is-the-culprit/

To really understand the appeal of trump you need to listen to democratic presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren and Andrew Yang. Warren explains the long slow economic decline in the US here:

https://youtu.be/akVL7QY0S8A

In a nutshell the US went from being a country where the biggest employer was a car manufacturer with very good pay to a country today where Walmart is the biggest employer......

• Registered Users Posts: 56,316 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He is the first president to not start any new wars - the global elites LOVE war

This line gets trotted out a fair bit as if to make him out to be some peaceful and caring and gentle man..

He has threatened whole nations with annihilation for chrissake.

His rhetoric around what he could do to humans was absolutely disgusting

No wars started? Big deal. A lot more to do with the time and circumstances than Trump being in any way some sort of peacemaker..

Had 9-11 happened on his watch, a response would have been utter destruction and nuclear attacks pressed for..

The most hostile and combative man that has ever led the free world..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't really put much weight into what Trump supporters think. The reality is, a large proportion of the votes he received this election are from those who will always vote Republican even if they put a pigeon up for election.

The "own the libtards" conspiracy peddling, q-anon loving supporters are by and large a minority, visible online but still mostly a minority.

For me, Biden has to figure out how to bring the every day Americans who vote Republican into the conversation. In my opinion it's an absolute waste of time dealing with the hardline Trump supporters, they simply do not want to engage. They don't want to engage in debate in good faith, they don't want to engage with science and they certainly do not want to engage with Democracy when it doesn't go their way. The question is, what is it about the run of the mill Republicans that make then support that party? What can be done to meet their needs or at least reach a compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

To a certain amount yes but i mean we can all watch and see Trumps crazy press conference's ramblings and tweets. Some of which are incredibly petty and divisive. It's not edited or taken out of context by the media in any way. Its literally from the horse's mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It’s fairly simple op, you are giving people way too much credit, believing that common sense is common. People are thick, dumber than a box of rocks would be a suitable phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have way too many Trump threads - the 3 latest have been merged into this one

We really do not need more than one active thread dedicated to any individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Vox are a left sided bias progressive media organisation with a history of mixed factual reporting and loaded headlines

Not a neutral source.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/vox/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Not a Trump supporter either but these Americans thinks from a very selfish view point. Under Trump, they are paying less tax, earning more and have no interest in paying for things for others like Medicare. BLM not so much, again doesn’t affect them personally, nor the treatment of migrants at border crossings. I think it’s not the support for Trump that’s odd, it’s our misunderstanding of the motives and value system of a large number of Americans, because we’ve been sold a totally different reality by media for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Trump supporters are not influenced by the mainstream media. We make up our own minds about what is true and what is not based on facts and evidence.

Not influenced by "mainstream media". No, you just lap up partisan shite on your YouTube algorithm and listen to heavily biased propaganda outlets like Breitbart instead. You tune into grifters on the web, who post clickbait videos and articles that tell you the nonsense that you want hear and which comforts your bias.

Facts and evidence? Don't make us laugh.
    He is not perfect (who is?) but he is not near as bad as he is made out to be. He is the first president to not start any new wars

He's a snake oil salesman who yapped a lot of gibberish that people wanted to hear, but failed to deliver. He didn't drain any swamps, he contributed to them. He didn't tackle Wall Street, he gave jobs to them. He didn't help the people of the Rustbelt, he gave tax breaks to billionaires. He didn't bring back manufacturing jobs, he threatened to impose tariffs on foreign goods which would only hurt Americans in the end.

The guy was a spoofer and people who didn't see through him at the beginning, eventually cottoned onto his game, which is why he's struggling now.

In addition, there have been numerous Presidents that didn't "start any new wars". So, you're even wrong there, due to a diet of bullshit you're only too willing to believe.
    - the global elites LOVE war and that is why he takes so much flack. The elites use their media arm to seed hate and division among the general populous and like sheep, most people lap it up. Donald Trump comes off as rude for being exactly what every politician should be - honest. The irony of it all is truly mind bending.

Donald Trump is every bit a part of the elite. To think otherwise is to have one's head stuck up their arse. The idea that he's somehow against the "elites" when he's the front man of the FUCKING REPUBLICAN PARTY is not only laughable, it's downright hysterical.

You and other Trump worshippers were fed a torrent of lies and you lapped up every word of it. Some of you still cannot just admit that you got played and are clinging onto the pathetic narrative that you have in your head, which means that you are only fooling yourselves at this point.

Every line of your post is absolute deluded bollocks. Time to wake up and face reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Now that the impeccable knights in shining armour have crawled on their bellies to try and eke out a desperate victory over the monster painted as a cross between Caligula and Hitler, I sincerely hope that their policies are implemented. I hope AOC and her wild eyed brigade get to make their lists of those who dare to veer from the path of righteousness. May those on the lists be punished! Hopefully in the dead of night. I hope the police forces are all defunded and some kind of happyclappy law and order system is implemented between those holding the lines in communitues everywhere between chaos and all the poor people who do not give a single fcuk for society. I hope they all get free TVs to stop them starving, and Nikes, and whatever else they can haul out through broken glass. I hope reparations become an immediate thing. A significant surcharge on the taxes of all white people because black lives matter. I hope more and more academic institutions, departments and accommodation facilities in Universities become segregated along racial lines because progressiveness. Heck, buses too, the subways. Cannot get too much of a good thing. I hope every single matter of policy is viewed and handled going forwards through the lens of strict intersectional identity politics and that every committee will meet adequate representation quotas for transgender people, indigenous people, differently abled people, furries and social media influencers. I hope biological sex is eliminated as a reality, all children can have easy access to pubertal blockers if their proud Moms want it, thruples can raise a super human breed of sexless theybes and big chaps can run in all the races with the girls. I hope the world is saved from any more war, financial disasters, drone bombings, immigration controls of any sort, all environmental damage, climate change, and corona virus. Come on, man! I'm riden with the Bidens (like a million other girls, it seems). You can do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Full stop, then hit return twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

begbysback wrote: »
    Full stop, then hit return twice.

Paragraphs have no place when one is bursting with so much hopeful hope! Only exclamation marks will do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Beasty wrote: »
    We have way too many Trump threads - the 3 latest have been merged into this one

We really do not need more than one active thread dedicated to any individual

You missed your chance Beasty.. MAGAthread..

I think there may need to be a dedicated sub for the lost children of MAGA, they ain't coping well by all new accounts and old..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Paragraphs have no place when one is bursting with so much hopeful hope! Only exclamation marks will do!!
    They do if you expect anyone to read your post...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

walshb wrote: »

This line gets trotted out a fair bit as if to make him out to be some peaceful and caring and gentle man..

He has threatened whole nations with annihilation for chrissake.

His rhetoric around what he could do to humans was absolutely disgusting

No wars started? Big deal. A lot more to do with the time and circumstances than Trump being in any way some sort of peacemaker..

Had 9-11 happened on his watch, a response would have been utter destruction and nuclear attacks pressed for..

The most hostile and combative man that has ever led the free world..

I am sure millions of Afghanis, Syrians, Libyans and Iraqis would disagree with this. But as you said, big deal.

Advertisement