Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I have to make a formal complaint about the thread title.

Should it not be "Donald Trump - the Magathread"

Lawyers have been instructed to divert all resources from stopping the election counts and to instead focus on boards.ie

Trump supporters are not influenced by the mainstream media. We make up our own minds about what is true and what is not based on facts and evidence. He is not perfect (who is?) but he is not near as bad as he is made out to be. He is the first president to not start any new wars - the global elites LOVE war and that is why he takes so much flack. The elites use their media arm to seed hate and division among the general populous and like sheep, most people lap it up. Donald Trump comes off as rude for being exactly what every politician should be - honest. The irony of it all is truly mind bending.

The only irony missus, is that trump supporters who claim to be such free thinking individuals, fell for the bs ramblings of a grifter like trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

circadian wrote: »
    I wouldn't really put much weight into what Trump supporters think. The reality is, a large proportion of the votes he received this election are from those who will always vote Republican even if they put a pigeon up for election.

The "own the libtards" conspiracy peddling, q-anon loving supporters are by and large a minority, visible online but still mostly a minority.

For me, Biden has to figure out how to bring the every day Americans who vote Republican into the conversation. In my opinion it's an absolute waste of time dealing with the hardline Trump supporters, they simply do not want to engage. They don't want to engage in debate in good faith, they don't want to engage with science and they certainly do not want to engage with Democracy when it doesn't go their way. The question is, what is it about the run of the mill Republicans that make then support that party? What can be done to meet their needs or at least reach a compromise?
    screamer wrote:
    Not a Trump supporter either but these Americans thinks from a very selfish view point. Under Trump, they are paying less tax, earning more and have no interest in paying for things for others like Medicare. BLM not so much, again doesn’t affect them personally, nor the treatment of migrants at border crossings. I think it’s not the support for Trump that’s odd, it’s our misunderstanding of the motives and value system of a large number of Americans, because we’ve been sold a totally different reality by media for years.

Very much this.

If I put myself in the shoes of an average American, my job and the economy is the number 1 thing I care about.
    That has nothing to do with my personal feelings or greed, it's just the way the US is set-up.

It's a dog-eat-dog world. In a country where getting sick can easily bankrupt you, you can be let go in the blink of an eye with very limited protection and health insurance is often linked to employment you can be damn sure that a person's job (or jobs) is their focus. I'd also need to pay for insulin and other essentials I get for free here, so yea, the money is pretty important. People in their 20s/30s have actually died from rationing their insulin or using cheaper alternatives in the last few years...

For people with very little, their job is that ray of light they have tiding them over. If that job is at risk (due to potential corona shutdown etc.) they will probably vote for anyone to keep it.

Very much agreed the "make leftys cry" brigade are the loud minority. Average people trying to get by on what little they have don't want to be associated with them, but at the same time they cant afford losing their job if there is uncertainty over whether they'll get another stimulus cheque and if it will cover them.

The democrats need to take baby steps, there are obviously fundamental flaws in the US but they can't solve them overnight.
    Hopefully their analysis of how Trump managed to garner ~48% of the vote shows them this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    If I put myself in the shoes of an average American, my job and the economy is the number 1 thing I care about.
    That has nothing to do with my personal feelings or greed, it's just the way the US is set-up.

It's a dog-eat-dog world. In a country where getting sick can easily bankrupt you, you can be let go in the blink of an eye with very limited protection and health insurance is often linked to employment you can be damn sure that a person's job (or jobs) is their focus.
    +1. This is a huge part of it IMH. Ireland and the US are very different in so many ways. Ireland is safer across the board from the point of view of crime, social schisms, personal health, workers rights, all the way to the background sense of a social safety net that just doesn't exist in the American day to day or the very psyche of that culture. You have a situation where the poorest in the US will happily and heartily support billionaires that are in favour of things that actually make their lives worse. An average Irish person saying I like/hate someone like Trump is coming from an almost alien cultural viewpoint compared to an average American.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He has kept his promise of Making America Great Again and I'd vote for a person that keeps his promises.

How is America greater now than four years ago? What specifically has Trump done that has "made America Great again"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He has kept his promise of Making America Great Again and I'd vote for a person that keeps his promises.

Slogans and chants - that's what Trump has brought back. But when you drill into it and ask the Trump fans how he has made America great again with facts, then it's silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

How is America greater now than four years ago? What specifically has Trump done that has "made America Great again"?
    His election was a triumph for democracy and the democratic process. His supporters, millions of them, are denounced as redneck morons by the left wing, liberal elements of the media. Every incoming president seems to vow to "make America great again". It's just an empty, meaningless, platitude. What Trump has done for America is create many new jobs and not create any new wars.

chicorytip wrote: »
    His election was a triumph for democracy and the democratic process. His supporters, millions of them, are denounced as redneck morons by the left wing, liberal elements of the media. Every incoming president seems to vow to "make America great again". It's just an empty, meaningless, platitude. What Trump has done for America is create many new jobs and not create any new wars.

The poster claimed

"He has kept his promise of Making America Great Again"

Thank you for clarification that the poster was wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The beauty of this statement is that anyone can read into it any way that they want. What would make America great is different to every person. Nothing significant has actually changed in the last 4 years apart from the fact that racist and xenophobic people can now be out and proud about their racism and xenophobia without fear - and for them, that is great. So in those respects, he sure did MAGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,304 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Zascar wrote: »
    The beauty of this statement is that anyone can read into it any way that they want. What would make America great is different to every person. Nothing significant has actually changed in the last 4 years apart from the fact that racist and xenophobic people can now be out and proud about their racism and xenophobia without fear - and for them, that is great. So in those respects, he sure did MAGA.

Well, nail on the head here..explained so succinctly..

He made America great again....wtf does this mean is more the question..

Me personally: I used to have an admiration for the U.S. through the years..

It has eroded through the years, but never so much as the past 4 years..

Basket case of division is how I see the country...and Trump a massive reason for this..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

walshb wrote: »
    Well, nail on the head here..explained so succinctly..

He made America great again....wtf does this mean is more the question..

Me personally: I used to have an admiration for the U.S. through the years..

It has eroded through the years, but never so much as the past 4 years..

Basket case of division is how I see the country...and Trump a massive reason for this..

If it took Trump to erode your respect for the leaders and political institutions of a military empire that has killed millions of innocents in the name of the War on Terror (in truth the grab for control over dwindling oil resources) then you were very late to the party.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    If it took Trump to erode your respect for the leaders and political institutions of a military empire that has killed millions of innocents in the name of the War on Terror (in truth the grab for control over dwindling oil resources) then you were very late to the party.

Read my post again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder if the fact that he was and is a vulgar orange Buffon was a fact in what happened after all his 'policies' such as they are and vague as they are, are popular with millions of American voters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Childish but satisfying. I'm finally reduced to his level.
    532084.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Trump supporters are not influenced by the mainstream media. We make up our own minds about what is true and what is not based on facts and evidence. He is not perfect (who is?) but he is not near as bad as he is made out to be. He is the first president to not start any new wars - the global elites LOVE war and that is why he takes so much flack. The elites use their media arm to seed hate and division among the general populous and like sheep, most people lap it up. Donald Trump comes off as rude for being exactly what every politician should be - honest. The irony of it all is truly mind bending.

Tell me more about this honesty you speak of.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/13/donald-trump-20000-false-or-misleading-claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Seems a bit of a dick move merging my thread, which was well presented and strictly for discussion of Donald Trump's achievements, into some kind of vague, one size fits all mega thread. Looks like a political decision to me. Moderator did not want an outrightly pro-trump thread stinking the place up and disrupting the uniformity of opinion prevalent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Seems a bit of a dick move merging my thread, which was well presented and strictly for discussion of Donald Trump's achievements, into some kind of vague, one size fits all mega thread. Looks like a political decision to me. Moderator did not want an outrightly pro-trump thread stinking the place up and disrupting the uniformity of opinion prevalent elsewhere.

I thought you lot scoffed at the idea of having safe spaces where dissenting voices aren't allowed.

That's another one to add to the long list of Trumpeteer hypocrisy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you want something he has achieved, he was a disrupter

I thought you lot scoffed at the idea of having safe spaces where dissenting voices aren't allowed.

That's another one to add to the long list of Trumpeteer hypocrisy then.

What are you babbling about? So incoherent and vindictive, par the course I suppose.

This is exactly why I had created the thread that I did, so that people like you would have to up your game and actually engage with discussion instead of sneering and guffawing from the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What are you babbling about? So incoherent and vindictive, par the course I suppose.

This is exactly why I had created the thread that I did, so that people like you would have to up your game and actually engage with discussion instead of sneering and guffawing from the sidelines.

You created the thread because you wanted a safe space to praise Trump without dissenting voices. This is exactly the kind of thing Trump's supporters have spent the last four years mocking other people for. It's staggering hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You started the thread because you wanted an echo chamber. That's not discussion, it's the opposite.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You started the thread because you wanted an echo chamber. That's not discussion, it's the opposite.

I created a thread where people could discuss (and thereby refute) specific instances of perceived successes of the Trump presidency. The nuance may be lost on you, but nuance is important for adult conversation. What we have instead is a circus, an echo chamber as you so rightly put it, with reams of smug, ill thought snipes and jibes from people who have spent four years reading Guardian and Irish Times hit pieces. The level of discussion in this thread, and this forum, is abominable, as well you you know. My thread was an affront to that.

Anyway, I've said my piece. As you were. Have a nice weekend!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

TheRepentent do not post in this thread again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I created a thread where people could discuss (and thereby refute) specific instances of perceived successes of the Trump presidency. The nuance may be lost on you, but nuance is important for adult conversation. What we have instead is a circus, an echo chamber as you so rightly put it, with reams of smug, ill thought snipes and jibes from people who have spent four years reading Guardian and Irish Times hit pieces. The level of discussion in this thread, and this forum, is abominable, as well you you know. My thread was an affront to that.

Anyway, I've said my piece. As you were. Have a nice weekend!

I don't believe any of this to be honest. Trump supporters have been playing victim and moaning about fake news for years now.

But yeah, perhaps best left there. Have a nice weekend.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You mean like the Echo chamber you moderate over on politics? We keep our of that thread as we know you'll find some reason to put pro Trump people on the thread ban list. Btw that can be applied to threads in politics "that's not discussion, it's the opposite"!

Hell of a lot more then Obama and Biden did in 8 years, I'll check back with you in 4 see what Bidens has to show for his term.

Hell of a lot more then Obama and Biden did in 8 years, I'll check back with you in 4 see what Bidens has to show for his term.

That’s not an educated answer, you know?!

walshb wrote: »
    That’s not an educated answer, you know?!

There's a reason I have him blocked :pac:

There's a reason I have him blocked :pac:

Shame I can't block this poster onthe mobile site :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately we'll be hearing a lot about legacy issues.
    Even when Trump is well gone and the BLM/Antifa group are running havoc around the US, Biden/Harris will still blame Trump.
    It's goin' to be a shoitstorm until some stability is restored with a new Presidency in 2024.

Two QAnon reps elected so far that I'm aware of- he has certainly mainstreamed conspiracy theorising in US politics, hopefully this will be short term but I doubt it.

Advertisement