Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I don't think that last goal should have stood

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Have you been watching the match??

I have, yeah. There's no substitute for ambition. I'd rather go for it than just set up to keep the score down. That's embarrassing. I hope Tipp keep going for goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tipps big problem all game has been naivety in carrying the ball into tackles, in players making bad decisions about what to do when they had the ball in hand, it led to god knows how many turnovers and allowed Mayo to take control of the game.

At one point a Tipp player caught a ball on his 45 and had the choice to call a mark. Considering he was totally isolated that is exactly what he should have done, but instead he turned and tried to run through the 5 Mayo lads that were around him. Ball turned over yet again.

It happened again and again and its something you rarely see at intercounty level these days, players are supposed to be much smarter than this.

Cillian OConnor... Ireland's most unlikeable player and the the only reason needed for Mayo not to win the AI(I wouldnt begrudge some of their panel a medal but would hate to see him win one).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

dobman88 wrote: »
    If this was Dublin with a 16 point half time lead this thread would explode. Shows how well Cavan did yesterday.

Imagine what Mayo could do if they had 20m pumped into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone know the official highest ever individual tally in one game?

I know Matty Forde scored 2-10 vs Offaly in 2004, but 3-6 in one half is surely bordering on a record. Just one point shy of doubling Tipp's score by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Given how suicidal our tactics have been, I wouldn't be taking too much from a Mayo point of view from this. We would lose to most teams in Ireland with this mental approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Imagine what Mayo could do if they had 20m pumped into them.
    And get to play 99% of their games at Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sligeach wrote: »
    Shocking play from Tipperary.

It’s been a combination of how brilliant Mayo have been and Tipp just not turning up...at all.

Tipp can’t live with the physicality, fitness and speed of Mayo to be fair. Tipp have lost, almost every 50/50 going, turnovers a plenty... In addition Mayo have picked the right pass and have been dead eye accurate as regards shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

Cillian OConnor... Ireland's most unlikeable player and the the only reason needed for Mayo not to win the AI(I wouldnt begrudge some of their panel a medal but would hate to see him win one).

Cry a lil louder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

formerlyET wrote: »
    How well Cavan did yesterday? Wow. What a competition...

Yes. They did well in the first half. Think they were only down by 5 at HT, not 16

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

414 championship points for Cillian O'Connor & he's still only 28, love him or hate him he's a brilliant footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Lot of mistakes from Tipp. They've essentially frozen under the pressure. Cavan performed much better yesterday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hitchens wrote: »
    ?????

You can't be in the square before the ball in a set play - looked like he was just before the ball arrived in.

Marginal though having seen the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think Donegal and Tyrone are there or thereabouts.

Galway/Monaghan capable of causing problems on a off day.

'Championship' system is laughable.

A div 3 team v div 1 today - yesterday a div 1 team v a relegated div 2 team

OK people will say but Cavan beat Donegal. How often would that happen? It was a one off. Donegal for whatever reason were awful by their usual standards.
    Covid19 had a big say.

Same with Kerry losing to Cork - Keane would have been back in australia. And even if Kerry lost in a normal year they would nearly be guaranteed to get back in the AI QF/SF

Well will not be happening next year. But are we losing a shock and a fairytaile story to Croke Park or the super 8's

Pat Spilanne is a howl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Tipperary's results this year.

Tipperary 0-10 Down 0-10
    Louth 1-7 Tipperary 0-11
    Derry 0-10 Tipperary 0-5
    Tipperary 0-21 Cork 3-13
    Longford 3-12 Tipperary 3-7
    Tipperary 1-16 Offaly 0-16
    Leitrim 0-15 Tipperary 2-11

3 wins out of 7 in the league.

The 3 wins came against the 2 relegated sides and Offaly who finished 6th in Division 3

Tipperary 2-11 Clare 1-11
    Limerick 2-11 Tipperary 1-15
    Tipperary 0-17 Cork 0-14

The goals have given the scoreline an uglier look , especially how cheap the last 2 were but anyone who is shocked by this hasn't been paying attention.

You can't be in the square before the ball in a set play - looked like he was just before the ball arrived in.

Marginal though having seen the replay

He wasn't though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The four lads look cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have, yeah. There's no substitute for ambition. I'd rather go for it than just set up to keep the score down. That's embarrassing. I hope Tipp keep going for goals.

Did you switch off after 5 minutes?. Because tipp haven't got anywhere near the mayo goal since the early chances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Tipps big problem all game has been naivety in carrying the ball into tackles, in players making bad decisions about what to do when they had the ball in hand, it led to god knows how many turnovers and allowed Mayo to take control of the game.

At one point a Tipp player caught a ball on his 45 and had the choice to call a mark. Considering he was totally isolated that is exactly what he should have done, but instead he turned and tried to run through the 5 Mayo lads that were around him. Ball turned over yet again.

It happened again and again and its something you rarely see at intercounty level these days, players are supposed to be much smarter than this.

Has absolutely killed Tipp - with a dry ball you can try and get past players, whereas with a slippy ball you don't want to be trying to muscle past players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Ciaran Whelan's heavy breathing into the microphone... - come on, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I think Donegal and Tyrone are there or thereabouts.

Galway/Monaghan capable of causing problems on a off day.

'Championship' system is laughable.

A div 3 team v div 1 today - yesterday a div 1 team v a relegated div 2 team

OK people will say but Cavan beat Donegal. How often would that happen? It was a one off. Donegal for whatever reason were awful by their usual standards.
    Covid19 had a big say.

Same with Kerry losing to Cork - Keane would have been back in australia. And even if Kerry lost in a normal year they would nearly be guaranteed to get back in the AI QF/SF

Such nonsense.
    I never knew that the whole Donegal team had Covid in the Ulster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo are very lucky, had those two Tipp goals gone in .........

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ciaran Whelan's heavy breathing into the microphone... - come on, man.

Is that who it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Given how suicidal our tactics have been, I wouldn't be taking too much from a Mayo point of view from this. We would lose to most teams in Ireland with this mental approach.

Yeah no credit for Mayo being clinical. That's a bit a daft.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

All time too scorer in the championship.
    Time you got a hobby if your life circulates around hating a lad you don't even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Barlett wrote: »
    I don’t know how people thought Tipp could win this , it’s a huge step up

People can be very disillusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I still think this format is far better than the super 8 ****e. It's daft having a drawn out competition when you have a team as dominant as Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know you're being 'funny' Fintan but a population of 130k+ in mayo ,versus 1,000,000+ for Dublin doesn't really compare

Advertisement