Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Barlett wrote: »
    ‘Should’ never won any game - how many All Ireland’s ‘should’ Mayo have won, talking about what happened in a past game as a predictor of a future game is a complete waste of time. Mayo gave up one half goal chance to Galway last time out , this time they gave up 10 goal chances , talking about one thing like it’s definitely going to happen is nonsense. Sure when they played Tipp in 2016 the narrative afterwards was that Dublin would eat them alive .

i cant think of any all Irelands Mayo ''should'' have won... they were beaten fair and square in all of them... i agree with more or less everything else you say...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Croke Park 145m * 88m = 12760metres squared

McHale Park as an example 137*82 = 11234metres squared

That's 1526metres squared extra.

Far from insignificant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Croke Park 145m * 88m = 12760metres squared

McHale Park as an example 137*82 = 11234metres squared

That's 1526metres squared extra.

Far from insignificant

The smallest county pitch is St Conleth’s in Kildare (135m x 80m).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

C__MC wrote: »

In 2016, the drawn game, mayo were the better team in a scrappy game but Dublin had been three up going into injury time and only Connolly put the ball dead the game was done

That 2016 one was the one Mayo should have won. COC managed to get a point at the death to draw the game. Cluxton took a short kick out to Bastick who picked it straight off the ground - should have been a stone wall free in for Mayo on the 21 but the ref instead blew the game up. Absolutely sickeningly from a Mayo point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It would just lead to arguments and fights all over the place. Players have different sized families etc. It shouldn't be changed at this stage.

If that's the thinking, there wouldn't be any fans at a normal final... because not everyone can attend.

It could be simple enough, give every player 10 tickets. You don't need to get into family sizes etc. That'll sort itself out.

I don't think they will allow a small crowd but it's an awful shame family cannot attend an All Ireland Final in one of the biggest stadiums in Europe. If it's an issue then they should never have went ahead with the Championship in the first place because there'll be gatherings a plenty all around.

That's just my thoughts on it. I don't think there's a hope in hell of any crowd being there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I always look at match ups when trying to judge how a match might unfold. Horan seems to be reluctant to offer his full back line with much help so it might work out as Barrett on Rock, Mullen on Small and Keegan on Con. No disrespect to Keegan he was a fine defender but he's been a weak link in most games this year. The match up is a huge mismatch. Con close to goal and ball pumped into him high or low Keegan will be in trouble one on one.

Durcan will nullify Kilkenny as he is the Keegan now of a few years back. Coen is a mismatch in the Mayo half back line. He lacks pace but is a decent reader of a ball and strong physically with decent height. If Horan dropped him back towards the full back line and added Kevin Mc to drop to the half back line it would solve a lot of issues.

Mayo are beat at midfield. Less played here the better for a Mayo.

Mayo forwards are the key. More on the front foot they can stay the better chance they have. Once they have ball in the final third they have finishers and will have runners from deep. Problem? Pinning Dublin in. Cluxton from restarts will pick the runners out to put Dublin on the front foot or they can simply lob it out to the Dublin midfield. If Mayo could by some miracle break even on the restart and not have every score turned into a Dublin attack you never know.

I just don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

'It's almost racism...' - Pat Gilroy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus Gilroy is a dose. I thought this was a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Some suggestions here make sense...definitely players playing for clubs in Dublin should be allowed to play for their home counties if needed.

Gilroy is talking some sense to be fair, if poorly delivered. Urbanisation isn't an Irish phenomenon, it's a trait of the modern world. We love our counties but it may not be practical in the future.

Dublin is succesful because after a century they've finally capitalised their population, so they will be broken up eventually.

He's talking a fair bit of **** as well that I won't address.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Jesus Gilroy is a dose. I thought this was a discussion.

Patronising Mayo now...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

5 times more coaches to 10,000 extra players. That's crazy.

Spread the funding out and see what happens. That eliminates that argument.

The fact we lost 40 mins in the middle of AI semi final days is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

formerlyET wrote: »
    Patronising Mayo now...
    Are where they are due to a great county board he reckons Mayo have or had over the years. Plenty of Mayo heads would strongly disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Jesus that was a ****show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

McStay’s seat will be nice and toasty for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Are where they are due to a great county board he reckons Mayo have or had over the years. Plenty of Mayo heads would strongly disagree with that.

Yeah, mayo have had a serious amount of funding over the past few years, second only to Dublin recently i believe. Hasn't always been used wisely though. They could do worse than have Gilroy down to discuss possible future strategy with the county board. Somehow I don't think they would stomach that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Some suggestions here make sense...definitely players playing for clubs in Dublin should be allowed to play for their home counties if needed.

They are? As in a parentage rule so the lad with the Cavan father can play for Cavan? Still believe they can, Brian Carty's son was around the Roscommon panel as a Dub born and raised keeper. I honestly don't think there's a huge appetite from players playing senior club in Dublin to play for their ancestor's counties - if there was they'd have made contact already and be doing it tbh. It's definitely the exception currently.

David Clarke looks like a young Chris Sutton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Gilroy was hilarious!

“Think 2050”
    “Put Cork & Kerry together”
    “The Granny Rule”
    “I actually don’t think Dublin get enough funding”

UsBus wrote: »
    Yeah, mayo have had a serious amount of funding over the past few years, second only to Dublin recently i believe. Hasn't always been used wisely though. They could do worse than have Gilroy down to discuss possible future strategy with the county board. Somehow I don't think they would stomach that.

Because of the travel costs. We have over half the panel working or in college in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

I had to laugh at that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The sense of entitlement that saw the GAA run into trouble with the general public in the summer with club games is beginning to rear it's head again.

Tiny crowds were let in to some games and even that couldn't be done correctly. The tone of the GAA president on the Late Late show on Friday said it all. It's simply not going to happen in the finals.

Gilroy was hilarious!

“Think 2050”
    “The Granny Rule”

Like any Dub, completely removed from what is going on in the rest of the country and completely incapable of seeing any other perspective other than Dublin's and unwilling to listen.

Gilroy just kept jabbering to impress his drunk friends in the southside pub nobody will say hello to him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I was taking Gilroy seriously until he said that he thinks Dublin don't get enough funding. Popped off to make a cuppa after that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gilroy was hilarious!

“Think 2050”
    “The Granny Rule”

He even mentioned "racism" - just to tick all the boxes.
    Neither man made their points well at all. Absolute rubbish.

To be fair, suggesting that "money" isn't the problem from any angle, is a ridiculous starting point.
    We've had urbanisation in the past, I suspect Dublin has always had this population advantage but the way they have managed to make the most of the money that flows with this is what we are seeing the result of. What Andy M, was trying to get across, rather poorly, was that most GAA funding should be removed from Dublin and redistributed. Dublin GAA's commercial arm should take up the slack. This, to me, makes sense, when you look at the figures involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

formerlyET wrote: »
    Like any Dub, completely removed from what is going on in the rest of the country and completely incapable of seeing any other perspective other than Dublin's and unwilling to listen.

Gilroy just kept jabbering to impress his drunk friends in the southside pub nobody will say hello to him in.

Or maybe he's just responding to the ludicrous suggestion of 'split Dublin in 2/4/6 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The whole conversation about Dublin dominance is just embarrassing at this stage, I've seen more comfortable conversations about the facts of life

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

What a load of rubbish on the Sunday Game. The only sensible point was made by Des Cahill when he said that no 2 people seem to agree whats best for Gaelic Football. So true. One minute Im m hearing that knockout football is the way forward then its the tiered system. And if Mayo beat the Dubs in the final its will all be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

They should Gilroy on more often, he seems a right laugh, not sure what McEntee was doing there or if he even knew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Davys Fits wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish on the Sunday Game. The only sensible point was made by Des Cahill when he said that no 2 people seem to agree whats best for Gaelic Football. So true. One minute Im m hearing that knockout football is the way forward then its the tiered system. And if Mayo beat the Dubs in the final its will all be forgotten about.

RTE probably came under a bit of pressure to facilitate a discussion on it after all talk of it was shut down on the post match analysis yesterday.

The issue is real however, however it looks like the solution is being made out to be a lot more complex than it could be.

Advertisement