Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

UsBus wrote: »
    Yeah, mayo have had a serious amount of funding over the past few years, second only to Dublin recently i believe. Hasn't always been used wisely though. They could do worse than have Gilroy down to discuss possible future strategy with the county board. Somehow I don't think they would stomach that.

They spent 1.1 million in 2017 alone on food and accommodation and travel. All items which cost Dublin zero. How exactly do you expect them to keep funding that ? There basically broke from it.
    All Travel, accommodation and food should be paid from HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They spent 1.1 million in 2017 alone on food and accommodation and travel. All items which cost Dublin zero. How exactly do you expect them to keep funding that ? There basically broke from it.
    All Travel, accommodation and food should be paid from HQ.

And that was one of the points McStay was making earlier but never came up once in the debate.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I hope tonights debacle is the end of that discussion..period. next time Colm O Rourke starts talking about the dubs needing to be split his mic should be muted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Gilroy had a point about alot of duds in county boards around the country, everything else he said was absolute ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I hope tonights debacle is the end of that discussion..period.

It's only the beginning. Every county needs to stand up and get their funding and expenses paid - and get a CEO and the necessary budget for Dublin-like structures. And prevent Dublin from getting money they don't need - money they're are already getting from sponsorships. Dublin need to start playing teams outside Dublin on the regular. Other counties and their towns need the revenue.

• Advertisement

formerlyET wrote: »
    It's only the beginning. Every county needs to stand up and get their funding and expenses paid - and get a CEO and the necessary budget for Dublin-like structures. And prevent Dublin from getting money they don't need - money there are already getting from sponsorships. Dublin need to start playing teams outside Dublin on the regular. Other counties and their towns need the revenue.

Its mental that teams travel from Kerry, Mayo and Donegal and have to pay all there own expenses in the capital. Whilst GAA HQ take all the money from the gate. They then turn around and give the vast majority of that money to the team that has no Travel, accommodation or food expenses. Its no wonder there is an inbalance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did she say "junior camogie champions"....

formerlyET wrote: »
    It's only the beginning. Every county needs to stand up and get their funding and expenses paid - and get a CEO and the necessary budget for Dublin-like structures. And prevent Dublin from getting money they don't need - money they're are already getting from sponsorships. Dublin need to start playing teams outside Dublin on the regular. Other counties and their towns need the revenue.

Ah look Dublin is a cash cow for the GAA, that's just how it is, do we live in an equal world no, otherwise I'd be a millionaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Pat didn’t come across at all well.. unfortunately I think people will actually hate Dublin even more after his suggestions of amalgamations etc.. I wonder does Pat even know where Mayo is?? Genuinely sounds like the man has never been outside the M50...

My own take on it.. Dublin should not be split... this dominance won’t last... Cluxton, Kilkenny, Fenton and McCarthy are key players for Dublin.. they won’t be around forever and I don’t think there likes are just there ready made to take their place whenever they retire.. I think if the funding issue was evened out as in every county get the same per registered player... that would quieten people...

People talk bout Kerry and Kilkenny... and there were successfull but they did it without massive money being injected to make it possible... Kerry’s dominance didn’t last very long 78-86 and everyone knew the end of the road was coming as the team was getting old... not the case with Dublin.. the team has evolved every year... Kilkenny a bit similar to Kerry depending on more or less same players and now they have retired Kilkenny have regressed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Awful panel, Mcentee as meath manager couldn't put a nose out of joint, Gilroy seemed on another planet while Des is the man who asked Gooch and Cavanagh 2 weeks ago is the leinster championship in trouble.

• Advertisement

I hope Mayo win it this time because it will put an end to this Dublin discussion. They wouldn't have won 5 in a row if Mayo didn't **** the bed on a couple of occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Only in the GAA could people come on TV and talk about how we can try and create a more level playing field for everyone, and avoid mentioning the most obvious starting point that the Dubs, the team with by far all the other advantages of population and money, get to basically play all their championship games in their home stadium.

Its called home ADVANTAGE for a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I hope Mayo win it this time because it will put an end to this Dublin discussion. They wouldn't have won 5 in a row if Mayo didn't **** the bed on a couple of occasions

Mayo won’t come within 10 points of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

CucaFace wrote: »
    Only in the GAA could people come on TV and talk about how we can try and create a more level playing field for everyone, and avoid mentioning the most obvious starting point that the Dubs, the team with by far all the other advantages of population and money, get to basically play all their championship games in their home stadium.

Its called home ADVANTAGE for a reason...

I'll say this again: every other county in Leinster could opt to play their matches in their own county ground.
    They don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Mcstay "Mayo are great in the tackle" tipp were running thru them like a hot knife thru butter. 10 goal chances. Doesn't add up Kevin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus he called james horan Liam horan.... How bad was this production by RTE.
    Wasted 40 mins on a rabble discussion.
    The Junior title been called the camogie final.
    And then the manager been called the wrong name.

I think they've had more cans than me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

It wouldn't put an end to it at all. Another county from time to time might win an All Ireland but they will not have the conveyer belt momentum year after year that Dublin have because of the many natural and gifted Dublin advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'll say this again: every other county in Leinster could opt to play their matches in their own county ground.
    They don't.

Could Kerry opt to take the Dubs down to Killarney for a quarter/semi/ all Ireland final?

Or is Croke park only home advantage somehow when they are playing teams from leinster( the teams closest to croke park)?

I miss Joe Brolly.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It wouldn't put an end to it at all. Another county from time to time might win an All Ireland but they will not have the conveyer belt momentum year after year that Dublin have because of the many natural and gifted Dublin advantages.

Its just getting toxic at this stage, as good as Dublin are they are not unbeatable, were fortunate to get a draw from Kerry last year, Mayo took them to a replay a few years ago. The media pundits would have you think they're on another planet and its all unfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

It won't though. There's too much of a gap to Mayo too. It's not all about Dublin really. Dublin is just the extreme example of the gap. There needs to be a handle got on budgets and sponsorship monies because it's creating chasms and killing the game in small counties. They don't have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I do think there's a fair point in saying that travel and accommodation should be paid by head office, especially in the championships (both Hurling and Football). It's something that every team has to deal with but for some teams (the likes of your division 3 and 4 teams) can be a huge percentage of your budget for the year. That could definitely go on extra coaches or sessions for underage players

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only reason the show was on was to get a bit of air breathed back into the campaign.. to keep the discussion alive and people’s minds triggered..

It’s a disingenuous argument to split Dublin but RTÉ have to as a National jokeshop, sorry broadcaster seen to be reporting on it.... because...it’s in their own interest to see a split and see a return to a more competitive and close championship/final...

They get serious advertising revenue don’t forget... if people get bored or pissed off at Dublin’s dominance, as they are entitled to be... less people watching = less advertising revenue for rte.

In 2019... figures published on RTE’s website a 30 second advertisement costs 35,000 euros on all ireland...

Can’t demand that if people... say the neutrals or the ‘anyone but Dublin’ / split the Dubs lot are tuning out. Agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Its just getting toxic at this stage, as good as Dublin are they are not unbeatable, were fortunate to get a draw from Kerry last year, Mayo took them to a replay a few years ago. The media pundits would have you think they're on another planet and its all unfair

They aren't unbeatable on a given day but they are advantaged over all other teams.

I do think there's a fair point in saying that travel and accommodation should be paid by head office, especially in the championships (both Hurling and Football). It's something that every team has to deal with but for some teams (the likes of your division 3 and 4 teams) can be a huge percentage of your budget for the year. That could definitely go on extra coaches or sessions for underage players

It affects the successful teams as well. In 2017 Mayo played 9 championship games. Seven of those were away from home, four in Dublin. Thats enough expenses to cripple any county.

Thats money diverted from nutrition, S& C, coaching etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They aren't unbeatable on a given day but they are advantaged over all other teams.

It would take something like a red card early in the first half to even the match up. Even that didn't get Kerry over the line last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My own take on it.. Dublin should not be split... this dominance won’t last... Cluxton, Kilkenny, Fenton and McCarthy are key players for Dublin.. they won’t be around forever and I don’t think there likes are just there ready made to take their place whenever they retire..

2015 called, it wants its argument back...

Or don't you remember when we were being told that the Brogans, Flynns, Connollys, MacCauleys, O'Carrolls, McMahons etc were key players, once in a generation players and that once they moved on Dublin would fall back into the back?

Because that was the argument then and yet here we are, the Connollys and Brogans are gone and yet Dublin are far stronger than ever, able to lose the likes of Jack McCaffrey and leave all stars like Mannion and Howard on the bench without missing a single beat.

I wonder just how many years of dominance will take it take for the obvious to sink in, that this was always something more than just a good group of players coming together at the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

That "debate" was a waste of time from RTE, just like when they had John Conellan on their podcast a week ago. Lip service to say they are covering it but not much else.

If they wanted to have a serious debate about Dublin's funding compared to other counties then it need to be someone like Tom Ryan instead of Gilroy and someone like Ewan Mackenna(not him, but someone who has written/spoken about the issue at hand and is familiar with the numbers) instead of McEntee.

Of course they're advantaged they're a bigger county with more players and more access to sponsorship etc. deal with it. Its makes it more sweet for the team that beats them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

It affects the successful teams as well. In 2017 Mayo played 9 championship games. Seven of those were away from home, four in Dublin. Thats enough expenses to cripple any county.

Oh I'm not disputing that at all. I''m just saying the lower down you go, the bigger the chunk is that is getting taken out to cover it because there likely isnt the same sponsorship coming in to cover it. As a Mayo man myself, I'm all to aware of the costs that it takes to travel and such

Advertisement