Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

2015 called, it wants its argument back...

Or don't you remember when we were being told that the Brogans, Flynns, Connollys, MacCauleys, O'Carrolls, McMahons etc were key players, once in a generation players and that once they moved on Dublin would fall back into the back?

Because that was the argument then and yet here we are, the Connollys and Brogans are gone and yet Dublin are far stronger than ever, able to lose the likes of Jack McCaffrey and leave all stars like Mannion and Howard on the bench without missing a single beat.

I wonder just how many years of dominance will take it take for the obvious to sink in, that this was always something more than just a good group of players coming together at the same time...

I think that's the point. It's not so much a team like say Kerry were in their heyday but a machine tossing out an endless supply.

Oh I'm not disputing that at all. I''m just saying the lower down you go, the bigger the chunk is that is getting taken out to cover it because there likely isnt the same sponsorship coming in to cover it. As a Mayo man myself, I'm all to aware of the costs that it takes to travel and such

Even more so when you consider London travelling over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Surely any funding change and redistribution will take at least 10 years to show any form of change?

I think most dubs agree something needs to change (despite what some posters thing about the hill 16 “ho-ya’s” - have I got that right). If you’re argument is starting with hysterical accusations like “financial doping” and “strip them off their titles retrospectively as it’s akin to performance enhancing drugs”, then you won’t get anywhere and cause even more entrenched arguments.

Part of the problem is Dublin is the Gaa’s sacred cash cow. Dublin won’t ever be split. It would be financial suicide on a massive scale for the gaa. They will never go for it (at senior football level anyway). It probably shouldn’t be part of the conversation. The GAA are also still terrified of soccer and rugby in parts of Dublin. That’s not any other counties problem but has to be understood wrt their actions.

There’s lots of obvious quick things to do mentioned here already. It won’t be a quick fix but it’ll help. (Travel expenses covered, home and away ties or neutral venue, redistribute certain funding etc). Dublin losing money though won’t necessarily reverse all the imbalances. A Mayo/Kerry/Donegal will still beat 20 counties at ease 99 times out of 100. There’s no easy answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Gilroy was hilarious!

“Think 2050”
    “Put Cork & Kerry together”
    “The Granny Rule”
    “I actually don’t think Dublin get enough funding”

And don't forget
    "That's because our volunteers work harder"

Its easy to work harder when you're a full time professionally paid "volunteer".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Gilroy had a point about alot of duds in county boards around the country, everything else he said was absolute ****e

If Dublin we're a rural county with a population of 50k they'd be no different. It's like the colonial brits sitting on their high horses wondering why other small nations are **** holes. The massive population in Dublin doesn't just lead to a bigger pick of players then their neighbours but also a much bigger pick for volunteers, administrative positions etc.

• Advertisement

Mayo won’t come within 10 points of Dublin

Based on today Dublin could easily put up a score of 4 - 20 against Mayo. And they won't concede a fraction of what Tipp did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Based on today Dublin could easily score 4 - 20 points against Mayo.

I'd say they'll manage 4 points alright...

I'd say they'll manage 4 points alright...

Phrased badly. I meant to say 4 goals and 20 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

grbear wrote: »
    That "debate" was a waste of time from RTE, just like when they had John Conellan on their podcast a week ago. Lip service to say they are covering it but not much else.

If they wanted to have a serious debate about Dublin's funding compared to other counties then it need to be someone like Tom Ryan instead of Gilroy and someone like Ewan Mackenna(not him, but someone who has written/spoken about the issue at hand and is familiar with the numbers) instead of McEntee.

After checking Twitter it seems that MacKenna said some pointlessly nasty things tonight about Gilroy. To be clear I'm not endorsing that sort of carry on. He's just the most high profile critic I could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

grbear wrote: »
    After checking Twitter it seems that MacKenna said some pointlessly nasty things tonight about Gilroy. To be clear I'm not endorsing that sort of carry on. He's just the most high profile critic I could think of.
    Forget sport McKenna comes across as a horrendous person, Twitters version of Katie Hopkins.

On the "debate" on the Sunday game all in all it was an absolute monstrosity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    If Dublin we're a rural county with a population of 50k they'd be no different. It's like the colonial brits sitting on their high horses wondering why other small nations are **** holes. The massive population in Dublin doesn't just lead to a bigger pick of players then their neighbours but also a much bigger pick for volunteers, administrative positions etc.

And then theres Meath with a sizeable population themselves and yet are only a third tier team lagging behind teams with smaller populations like Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Tipp, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon etc etc.

Maybe all those other counties are just have a better class of player, manager, volunteer, admins within their smaller populations :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We already discussed the number of clubs, teams, participants... all across the different games... both genders and age groups.

The bigger playing population simply requires a massive number of volunteers, admin etc..l think if anything that’s more challenging,. All volunteers too remember. Quality not quantity though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Did Pat Gilroy really say look at Cuala?

Are Cuala not sponsored by Amgen, Huawei & now have Eddie Brennan on board?

What did he mean by that?

This isn't an anti-Dublin thing btw as you'll see from my posting history, I'm just curious as to what he meant by that?

I'll have a look at it tomorrow anyway so not to worry if I don't get the answer here.

Thank you in advance.

I'm also seeing he's said & suggested:
    - Think 2050.
    - Put Cork & Kerry together.
    - The Granny rule.
    - Dublin don't get enough funding.

:confused:

I've seen posters on here put up a better 'pro-Dublin' argument than what Pat seemingly has tonight.

From what I've heard he's coming across as a complete wind up merchant but I'll have to look at it in full tomorrow in case I'm talking anything out of context.

Once again this isn't an anti-Dub post but it would seem Dublin could have sent a better representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Did Pat Gilroy really say look at Cuala?

Are Cuala not sponsored by Amgen, Huawei & now have Eddie Brennan on board?

What did he mean by that?

This isn't an anti-Dublin thing btw as you'll see from my posting history, I'm just curious as to what he meant by that?

I'll have a look at it tomorrow anyway so not to worry if I don't get the answer here.

Thank you in advance.

I'm also seeing he's said & suggested:
    - Think 2050.
    - Put Cork & Kerry together.
    - The Granny rule.
    - Dublin don't get enough funding.

:confused:

I've seen posters on here put up a better pro-Dublin argument than what Pat seemingly has tonight.

From what I've heard he's coming across as a complete wind up merchant but I'll have to look at it in full tomorrow in case I'm talking anything out of context.

Once again this isn't an anti-Dub post but it would seem Dublin could have sent a better representative.

He also said that Leitrim born people are subjected to racism!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bambi wrote: »
    And then theres Meath with a sizeable population themselves and yet are only a third tier team lagging behind teams with smaller populations like Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Tipp, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon etc etc.

Maybe all those other counties are just have a better class of player, manager, volunteer, admins within their smaller populations :confused:

Are you suggesting Meath aren't playing at their level? I wonder will the gaa put together a "save Meath" plan and fund a structure of professional coaching systems to bring them back to their rightful place. :confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

He also said that Leitrim born people are subjected to racism!

I'm having a look at a bit of it now.

So he said that Leitrim born people are subjected to racism but he's here calling Cavan & Monaghan people "very similar".

The irony :O

I had to laugh when he alluded to the point that Cavan & Monaghan would have no problem amalgamating because "a lot of them lads go to DCU & they're very close".

What????? :confused:

There are plenty of Mayo lads in NUIG, that means sweet fcuk all, they're hardly going to be shouldering each other & pucking the heads of one another in lecture halls Pat :pac:

He seems so out of touch, it's unreal. Someone said earlier that he's probably never been outside Dublin within Ireland & tbh his notions tonight would back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'm having a look at a bit of it now.

So he said that Leitrim born people are subjected to racism but he's here calling Cavan & Monaghan people "very similar".

The irony :O

I had to laugh when he alluded to the point that Cavan & Monaghan would have no problem amalgamating because "a lot of them lads go to DCU & they're very close".

What????? :confused:

There are plenty of Mayo lads in NUIG, that means sweet fcuk all, they're hardly going to be shouldering each other & pucking the heads of one another in lecture halls Pat :pac:
    the Kerry kilkenny comparison isn't accurate either as they were generational teams, this isn't as this Dublin team has moved on alot from the 2011-15 vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Are you suggesting Meath aren't playing at their level? I wonder will the gaa put together a "save Meath" plan and fund a structure of professional coaching systems to bring them back to their rightful place. :confused::confused:

No point in wondering ,why not write to them with the question
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Bambi wrote: »

Oh Meath are third tier now are they? Last I heard they were in Div 1 this year and the super 8's last year. If there was a backdoor this year they would have been in the super 8's for it again.

Anyway I suppose you're right. Meath just aren't maximising their potential. A bit like Dublin 20 years ago.

Can we have a counsel set up by the GAA to maximise our potential and 20M for the next 15 years? There used to be bragging rights when a team beat another team in Leinster. Not anymore because everybody knows one County were given everything.

And can we have another 5 million for hurling. Huge areas of Meath have no or very little hurling. Surely justified to spread the only good thing the GAA has left?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

From what I've heard he's coming across as a complete wind up merchant

Judging by the reaction to and presentation of his comments about Leitrim here I'd say he's quite a successful one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Based on what we've seen so far, Westmeath are still the second best team in the country.

Lets hope Mayo can get closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Oh Meath are third tier now are they? Last I heard they were in Div 1 this year and the super 8's last year. If there was a backdoor this year they would have been in the super 8's for it again.

Anyway I suppose you're right. Meath just aren't maximising their potential. A bit like Dublin 20 years ago.

Can we have a counsel set up by the GAA to maximise our potential and 20M for the next 15 years? There used to be bragging rights when a team beat another team in Leinster. Not anymore because everybody knows one County were given everything.

And can we have another 5 million for hurling. Huge areas of Meath have no or very little hurling. Surely justified to spread the only good thing the GAA has left?

All this stuff about tiers is a bit nonsensical as its based on the League groupings - there is no group of 8, if we are talking about teams of similar standard.

There is a group of 1.

Below that there is a group of 2.

Below that there is a group of 2.

Below that there is a group of 4 or 5.

Below that there is a very fluid group of 15 or so. Of this group, maybe 3 or 4 are 'underperforming' based in where they stand historically.

Below that is a group for which football is not really a big focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure handing 5 million to a county that has done so little to promote the sport naturally over the past 130 years would be the wisest use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wont work
    Public wont support counties merging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

C__MC wrote: »
    Wont work

Leitrim/Roscommon and Kerry/Cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

C__MC wrote: »
    Wont work

and you will lose an awful lot of Dubs by splitting the county

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

and you will lose an awful lot of Dubs by splitting the county

Dublin are 1 county out of 32(34 if ya count London and Kilkenny). The needs and wants of the majority wlll always take precedence. I hope we never see Dublin.split, but something has to be done.

I'd love to see the GAA do it and it completely ruin them. They'd really be playing with fire by underestimating country identity and its place in the games. What happens when Tippercorkry don't win, what exactly has it accomplished then?

Maybe we're better just focusing on the club and community aspect of things and letting intercounty die if that's the way it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Merging counties is just an admission that some counties are unable or unwilling to develop their teams.

I would like to see players in Dublin encouraged to play with other teams, maybe there are a few kids playing in Dublin clubs that have parents from Wicklow, or Roscommon and they could try and make those county teams, and if someone isnt good enough for the Dublin county panel they should be told and allowed to play for a different county.

What people often forget in this debate is that the GAA is not just about the senior championship, it’s about participation and playing of games by kids and underage grades.

Dublin clubs get massive numbers playing and that’s testament to their investment in coaches and facilities. They get the numbers out in a way that others clubs up and down the country are unable to.

It’s not all about the 1% at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hammar wrote: »
    Dublin are 1 county out of 32(34 if ya count London and Kilkenny). The needs and wants of the majority wlll always take precedence. I hope we never see Dublin.split, but something has to be done.

One that has a massive amount of the population (which is a problem in itself!)

I do agree, however its not the majority, splitting Dublin does nothing for London, KK, Sligo etc.)

Advertisement