Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

mulemule11 wrote: »
    That is crazy alright. A decent performance in the final and he's in with a good chance for FOTY at least

Its between himself and Fenton Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

DVDM93 wrote: »
    1. Cillian O'Connor 32-338 (434)
    - 4 career hat-tricks
    - Highest individual tally ever scored in a game

2. Colm Cooper 23-283 (352)

It's mad to think COC only has the 1 All-Star.

Yeah, all them 21 yard frees to tap over is tough going alright. One of the most overrated forwards ever, he wouldn't get a look in in that Dublin side.

Still laughing at the one that hit the post in the final from years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Its between himself and Fenton Id say

I'm severely biased as I just love watching Fenton play but I cant see past him for POTY. Any other choice would be madness imo. Hes just unreal in every single way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DVDM93 wrote: »
    1. Cillian O'Connor 32-338 (434)
    - 4 career hat-tricks
    - Highest individual tally ever scored in a game

2. Colm Cooper 23-283 (352)

It's mad to think COC only has the 1 All-Star.

Because he has never won an All Ireland he will never get the recognition that others with similar scoring profiles do.

And that will be the case until he wins an All Ireland, if ever.

For example he is remember far more for hitting the post from a free in the last kick of the 2016 replay than he his for his great score (from play) deep in injury time in the first game to level it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm severely biased as I just love watching Fenton play but I cant see past him for POTY. Any other choice would be madness imo. Hes just unreal in every single way.

To compare Fenton to O'Connor is an insult of the highest order to Fenton. An absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. The two of them should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

• Advertisement

To compare Fenton to O'Connor is an insult of the highest order to Fenton. An absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. The two of them should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

I neither compared them or mentioned them in the same sentence. You're ire is misdirected

Yeah, all them 21 yard frees to tap over is tough going alright. One of the most overrated forwards ever, he wouldn't get a look in in that Dublin side.

How easy is it to be trolling three four threads at once ?

I see you here, in the Mayo one, in the Dublin one, and in the Roscommon one.

I hope you have your Christmas shopping done because you'll have no time to get anything done if you keep up this pace here.

Plus when Dublin win it at a canter you will have no time in the last few shopping days because you will be busy sticking it to the Mayo crowd.

Stay hydrated, get plenty of rest, you have a busy time ahead.

I neither compared them or mentioned them in the same sentence. You're ire is misdirected

Apologises, no you didn't, it's the person who compared both for player of the year. An insult to Fenton.

Apologises, no you didn't, it's the person who compared both for player of the year. An insult to Fenton.

I would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

If COC was a Dub, he'd be hailed as the GOAT. He'd run up cricket scores.

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »

Really? He wouldn't even get playing because Rock offers way more from open play and a better range on frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mulemule11

This is awfully lazy bait. 3x the goals of Dean Rock(all frees I suppose) and higher point average despite Rock playing on a comfortably better team

crossman47 wrote: »

Hed also be after winning 7 or 8 all Irelands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

82 points clear of The Gooch at the tender age of 28 with a few more years to go.

Not bad for an overrated 21 yard free merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Anyone who calls O'Connor overrated hasn't a clue what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Cant argue with stats in my view.

That is why, in a different world, I believe Robbie Keane is Irelands greatest footballer. People always pick Roy or Paul McGrath, but I just think a big tackle on Overmars or a MOTM against Italy does not beat 68 goals in 146 games.

Its interesting also that his average is so blooming high. Of the top 25 all time points scorers in Gaelic Football, he has the second highest average at 6.8 points. The highest being the player many believe to be the greatest ever to play the game.

Nobody from Kerry gives a toss about the Munster championship. Similar to league, it's usually a way to get lads up to speed with games.

The hunger for all irelands always remains. But its only been 6 years since the last win so wont be panicking just yet.

You're right.

The problem is the players ambivalence towards the Munster championship superseded their hunger for All Irelands a few weeks ago and then ended up getting knocked out by a pathetic Cork team.

You're right.

The problem is the players ambivalence towards the Munster championship superseded their hunger for All Irelands a few weeks ago and then ended up getting knocked out by a pathetic Cork team.

I dont think I've said anything other than that. In normal years we would have the back door safety net, this year its knockout and tough shìt. C'est la vie.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mulemule11 wrote: »
    This is awfully lazy bait. 3x the goals of Dean Rock(all frees I suppose) and higher point average despite Rock playing on a comfortably better team

FYI - This lad has been kicked off the Mayo thread. He's been on the Dublin thread and spends all his time posting about Mayo and nothing else. So if its walks like one, posts like one and acts like one, its one.

Wouldn't bother feeding it otherwise. Report and move on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone who calls O'Connor overrated hasn't a clue what they're talking about.

Its easy fooder when you don't know what you're on about. Regardless of the opposition it still has to be kicked between the sticks.
    His records and stats are there, this performance yesterday ranks up there with his best and the haul was brilliant.
    He needs to deliver against Dublin, otherwise he will be hailed as the usual failure, bottler etc etc. that you get if you don't win an AI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The 2011 Leinster semi final between Dublin and Kildare drew a crowd of 58,324. Stand alone game.

Just 36,126 in the 2018 semi final double header turned up to watch Dublin vs. Kildare with Dublin winning 0-26 to 0-11 and with Meath beating Laois 3-13 to 0-11.

It would seem winning all the time or equally getting hammered all the time does affect attendance. Who'd of thought?

I remember being at Dublin Meath standalone games in 2007 that I’m pretty sure were sell outs. It was damn hard to get tickets anyway and the Leinster Council got two days out of it with a replay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Cant argue with stats in my view.

That is why, in a different world, I believe Robbie Keane is Irelands greatest footballer. People always pick Roy or Paul McGrath, but I just think a big tackle on Overmars or a MOTM against Italy does not beat 68 goals in 146 games.

Its interesting also that his average is so blooming high. Of the top 25 all time points scorers in Gaelic Football, he has the second highest average at 6.8 points. The highest being the player many believe to be the greatest ever to play the game.

Cillian O’Connors average per game is just over 7 per game- he’s scored 418 points in 59 championship games.

Who is the fella with the highest average - is it Matt Connor or Maurice Fitz?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Two semi finals were the most watched sports events over the weekend here. Each match was over 500,000 with Dublin/Cavan peaking at 565,000 compared to peak of 200,000 for the rugby, and just over 100,000 for the FAI thing. Ironically the latter went to 200,000 when people tuned in to see the Sunday Game not realising the other one was in extra time :-)

Seemed to be about an average attendance for an FAI final despite the Covid restrictions.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Two semi finals were the most watched sports events over the weekend here. Each match was over 500,000 with Dublin/Cavan peaking at 565,000 compared to peak of 200,000 for the rugby, and just over 100,000 for the FAI thing. Ironically the latter went to 200,000 when people tuned in to see the Sunday Game not realising the other one was in extra time :-)

Seemed to be about an average attendance for an FAI final despite the Covid restrictions.

Yet about 31000 less than the average of the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

650k for the Limerick Galway game. I assume football would be expected to get bigger figures than hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Seen this tweeted by Journalist John Fogarty yesterday.

Dublins average winning margin on route to their last 8 AI finals.

2011 - 3.9 points
    2013 - 10.2 points
    2015 - 13.2 points
    2016 - 8.6 points
    2017 - 14.8 points
    2018 - 13 points
    2019 - 14.8 points
    2020 - 17.5 points

Average winning margin in their last 7 finals 2.1 points.

I know plenty are talking down Mayo chances thinking they will defend as loosely as yesterday but i think Mayo will be a lot more focused defensively for this match and one shouldn't be surprised if Dublin win another AI final by a narrow margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

the weaker counties NEVER got days out!

Technically not true although ironically they probably have fewer days out in Croke Park these days.

Before the backdoor, if a Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Offaly, etc won their provincial championship they had a day in Croke Park in an AI semi final which was huge for them and spurred future generations.

With the artival of quarter finals the chance of a semi final evaporated as they'd face Kerry, Cork, Tyrone or Mayo coming through the backdoor.

But football is all about sport science these days and the more financial resources a county has the better they are, eg Dublin in the football and Limerick in the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Technically not true although ironically they probably have fewer days out in Croke Park these days.

Before the backdoor, if a Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Offaly, etc won their provincial championship they had a day in Croke Park in an AI semi final which was huge for them and spurred future generations.

So just like Tipp this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

Just saw Gilroy on the Sunday Game.
    If you are trying to defend the indefensible it helps if you are smart,articulate and likeable,he is none of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'm no expert on tv ratings. I didn't watch the entire Dublin v Cavan game. I watched a minute or two here or there and gave up after about 45 minutes as the result was obvious. I probably wasn't the only one. I'd say the same happened with many people for the Mayo v Tipp game, tuning in for the score every so often and turning it off when Mayo were out of sight. Are people like me counted as a viewer? Surely its only someone who watches over half the game at least that matter?

Advertisement