Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

seligehgit wrote: »
    That's stating the obvious or is it?

Dublin are so good ATM that they could likely manage the loss of a player ( Remember last year's drawn final and be relatively comfortable ).

On the other hand if Mayo lose a man over board it's game over.

I really fear Lee Keegan will struggle on Kilkenny or for that matter Con O Callaghan.

I cant find any odds on PP for red cards but I would love to back 1 or more.
    Dublin might be able to cope with 14 but it would depend how early it happened obviously.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It might be very slight, but one "weakness" with this Dublin team seems to be that they are not as ruthless as prior years in going for goals. Since Bernard Brogan, Alan Brogan and O'Gara have gone, and McMenamon having limited time, the new crop of players are a lot more content in taking their point when they get to the 25 or 30 yard line. In prior years, it seemed like the first instinct was to see if players around to create a goal chance. C Kilkenny is obviously an excellent player; but he seems a lot more content to be fisting the ball over the bar than taking a chance on rattling the net.

When Dublin actually needs goals in a game, that may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

He'll likely go out to the middle if we're really bleeding.

Yeah. If they're worried about the middle, switching Diarmuid O'Connor and Conor Loftus is the obvious one, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them line out as they did on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

He'll likely go out to the middle if we're really bleeding.

And that is the same issue with bringing keegan out and kilkenny, can anyone else who con?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

C__MC wrote: »
    A huge issue for Dublin in 2017 was Mayo forcing them long , Dublin got cleaned out for alot of that game
    I expect mayo to put o shea around the middle

He'll be breathing out of his arse after 50 mins if he starts there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

ooter wrote: »
    He'll be breathing out of his arse after 50 mins if he starts there.

Yep they might mix it up for O'Shea but he will not spend that much time out the field. He doesn't have the fitness for it anymore.
    Much more influential at 14 these days. He might do a quarter roaming around the middle/HF.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cavan_King wrote: »
    When Dublin actually needs goals in a game, that may change.

One hundred percent.They have played the percentages.

If they were truly in need of tri cuilin there would an increased level of ruthlessness.

They simply have not required the three point option.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Will they be printing a program for the final?. . Mite be an idea to make one and to give the proceeds to a deserving charity. I'm sure there would be a decent amount of interest among participating counties and would make a nice stocking filler or memento for all those wishing they could attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Will they be printing a program for the final?. . Mite be an idea to make one and to give the proceeds to a deserving charity. I'm sure there would be a decent amount of interest among participating counties and would make a nice stocking filler or memento for all those wishing they could attend.
    That would be a brilliant idea.

Have it on the news stand in shops for Saturday morning.

Seeing as we all will be watching this from our couches why not have a clar on hand also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There was a program (in PDF format) that was doing the rounds on some WhatsApp groups for the semi final. Was an official publication but never seen mention of it on any official communications channels.
    So it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

kippy wrote: »
    There was a program (in PDF format) that was doing the rounds on some WhatsApp groups for the semi final. Was an official publication but never seen mention of it on any official communications channels.
    So it can be done.

Every match has had an official program that can be downloaded.

Would be nice to have a real one for the final thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

they do have official programmes, download and print available, or will have....I got the Leinster final one posted to me for the Dub v Meath game...Prob a bit of a waste but I collect programmes so was delighted to have the option..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That will be a rare one in years to come snowgal

Yep they might mix it up for O'Shea but he will not spend that much time out the field. He doesn't have the fitness for it anymore.
    Much more influential at 14 these days. He might do a quarter roaming around the middle/HF.

O'Shea seems fitter than ever this year. Not that I believe he should spend too much time out the field. With him in midfield it can help Mayo gain more primary possession, however to score heavily enough to beat Dublin his presence is needed further up the field. Its a catch 22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

O'Shea seems fitter than ever this year. Not that I believe he should spend too much time out the field. With him in midfield it can help Mayo gain more primary possession, however to score heavily enough to beat Dublin his presence is needed further up the field. Its a catch 22

Its not just ball winning, he's a much better playmaker (underrated actually) than scorer. Especially against Dublin. They nullify him every time he plays close to goal. Get him out the field and give him touches would be my plan.

Wouldn't really depend on him to track runners though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

That will be a rare one in years to come snowgal

Yes I’d say so! Though they did say they sold plenty....I’m going to order all Ireland one too, to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Is there a physical programme available to buy for the hurling final?
    Edit: just found it. Will keep my eye on that for buying the football final programme next week.
    https://www.dbapublications.ie/product/2020-gaa-hurling-all-ireland-senior-championship-final/

corny wrote: »
    Its not just ball winning, he's a much better playmaker (underrated actually) than scorer. Especially against Dublin. They nullify him every time he plays close to goal. Get him out the field and give him touches would be my plan.

To my mind his play making abilities have a bigger impact closer to goal. And with Conroy coming through and O'Connor back to his best, even if they nullify him in front of goal, opportunities are created around him. Without the ball winning midfield to ensure a more than even break on kickouts it may be futile however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

corny wrote: »

He's a great man to turn over possession as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Why is the football final on Saturday evening but the Hurling on the traditional Sunday afternoon

bazermc wrote: »
    Why is the football final on Saturday evening but the Hurling on the traditional Sunday afternoon

Croke Park already booked by the LGFA for their finals on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Biggest question mark I have on Dublin is the manager situation. The loss of Jim Gavin shouldn't be underestimated. 2013 to 2019 he lost no league or championship game against Mayo and his ability to win tight matches was second to none.

His replacement Dessie Farrell has been poor in tight matches at underage level. 2011 All Ireland minior final against Tipperary. 2013 Leinster U21 championship v Longford, All-Ireland U21 semi final in 2015 against Tipperary and the U21 All-Ireland semi final in 2016 against Mayo. Of course its a moot point if Saturdays final doesn't become a tight encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Do any of ye know of anywhere that you could watch last years Semi Final between Mayo and Dublin? Wouldn't mind having another look at that game ahead of the big one on Saturday but I can't find it on YouTube at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,814 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

moghrasa wrote: »
    Do any of ye know of anywhere that you could watch last years Semi Final between Mayo and Dublin? Wouldn't mind having another look at that game ahead of the big one on Saturday but I can't find it on YouTube at all.
    :o

exteriors3-copy-1-640x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Match programmes for the hurling were on sale in Centra and Supervalu in the 4 counties involved so keep an eye out for something similar for the football

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭billyhead

Biggest question mark I have on Dublin is the manager situation. The loss of Jim Gavin shouldn't be underestimated. 2013 to 2019 he lost no league or championship game against Mayo and his ability to win tight matches was second to none.

His replacement Dessie Farrell has been poor in tight matches at underage level. 2011 All Ireland minior final against Tipperary. 2013 Leinster U21 championship v Longford, All-Ireland U21 semi final in 2015 against Tipperary and the U21 All-Ireland semi final in 2016 against Mayo. Of course its a moot point if Saturdays final doesn't become a tight encounter.

In fairness Dublin don't need much coaching either in training or during the game .it's mostly player driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Match programmes for the hurling were on sale in Centra and Supervalu in the 4 counties involved so keep an eye out for something similar for the football

I was about to reply to this and say "fcuk it, I just bought one online that cost e7+e3.50 delivery and won't be here until after the match"

Then I realized I don't live in any of the competing counties and it won't be in my local Centra anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I was about to reply to this and say "fcuk it, I just bought one online that cost e7+e3.50 delivery and won't be here until after the match"

Then I realized I don't live in any of the competing counties and it won't be in my local Centra anyway.

Purchase of the print version will grant you access to a free download of this programme also in time for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I see the Mayo benefactor Tim O Leary is offering the Mayo county board 50000 for 24hrs with Sam if they win. Sounds a bit of an indecent proposal type situation. I wonder would the Dubs take her back afterwards like Woody took Demi Moore back?

Advertisement