Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Shows how much of a benefactor he is with his shameless self promotion. Mayo GAA were completely right to cut off any links to him. This is the guy who called for James Horan to be sacked after the Monaghan game. He can shove his 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

crusier wrote: »
    I see the Mayo benefactor Tim O Leary is offering the Mayo county board 50000 for 24hrs with Sam if they win. Sounds a bit of an indecent proposal type situation. I wonder would the Dubs take her back afterwards like Woody took Demi Moore back?

Its 50k to have his grandfather's name on the back of the jersey and 200k for Sam for 48 hours if they win. Whatever shred of credibility he had is well gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Mayo to lose another All Ireland final at the weekend. I guess that's a given?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mayo to lose another All Ireland final at the weekend. I guess that's a given?

Hopefully not. But in any case it's bonus territory for this year. Were't expecting to be anywhere near preparing for an All-Ireland.
    Unfortunately if they lose, it will just become another stat to beat us with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hopefully not. But in any case it's bonus territory for this year. Were't expecting to be anywhere near preparing for an All-Ireland.
    Unfortunately if they lose, it will just become another stat to beat us with.

I've often had a go at Mayo for losing. Some games by their own mistakes, the game with 2 own goals and.the Donie red were 2 games in their grasp.

But I dont think anyone is actually expecting a Mayo win this weekend. Fans will build up hope as the week goes on, which is exactly how it should be for a final and will be full of belief by throw in Saturday evening ready to cheer on their team as always. But if Dublin win.as expected, I think everyone will recognise the achievement of this Mayo team with a fair few new lads and the old stalwarts going to the well again..

I just hope, regardless who wins, it's as good a game between them as we've seen recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I'd have every respect for Mayo for the endless pursuit despite constant heartbreak. It's actually amazing in a way. Nothing like Dublin's achievements. But in its own way, this quest of Mayo's, you've got to respect how they keep rolling that rock back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

In any other era, Mayo would have 3-4 AIs.
    Mayo are by far the best of the rest but they are likely to be soundly beaten.
    The days of a close rivalry are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

In any other era, Mayo would have 3-4 AIs. Unfortunately the are sharing this era with what can only be described as the first and only professional gaa team.

No they wouldn't
    They haven't won a connacht in the last 5 years, until 2020
    They also failed to beat Kerry and Donegal

No they wouldn't
    They haven't won a connacht in the last 5 years, until 2020
    They also failed to beat Kerry and Donegal

They beat Kerry in 2017 and have beaten Donegal numerous times including last year. Newsflash you don't have to win a Connacht championship to win an AI. You knew this right? Galway won an AI without winning Connacht.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

In any other era, Mayo would have 3-4 AIs. Unfortunately the are sharing this era with what can only be described as the first and only professional gaa team.

Sorry I don’t buy that one at all to be honest, or anywhere near it.

If you’re going to take “professional” Dublin out of this era, I’d say Kerry, Tyrone, donegal to name a few, would have lifted more sams than Mayo, or at the very least shared the successes on an equal level, which would mean 1 for Mayo max, if even.

To be honest the statement “Mayo are by far the best of the rest” wouldn’t stand up if you gave it crutches as they were relegated to division 2 this year. They also had an easy route to the final. Played Leitrim, Roscommon and then just edged past Galway, who arguably could have knocked them out. Then played tipp who aren’t even in the top 10.

A Kerry, Tyrone, donegal, Monaghan, Galway, Cavan, even Meath playing them in the semi final very possibly would have knocked them out.

So expect nothing less than a thumping on Saturday. However it would be great for a good close game and Mayo to win. The whole country is rooting for them. Except Ewan Mackenna I suspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If you’re going to take “professional” Dublin out of this era, I’d say Kerry, Tyrone, donegal to name a few, would have lifted more sams than Mayo, or at the very least shared the successes on an equal level, which would mean 1 for Mayo max, if even.

To be honest the statement “Mayo are by far the best of the rest” wouldn’t stand up if you gave it crutches as they were relegated to division 2 this year. They also had an easy route to the final. Played Leitrim, Roscommon and then just edged past Galway, who arguably could have knocked them out. Then played tipp who aren’t even in the top 10.

A Kerry, Tyrone, donegal, Monaghan, Galway, Cavan, even Meath playing them in the semi final very possibly would have knocked them out.

So expect nothing less than a thumping on Saturday. However it would be great for a good close game and Mayo to win. The whole country is rooting for them. Except Ewan Mackenna I suspect

ah now, really?

Also, surely our Brazilian resident would be rooting for Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

formerlyET wrote: »
    I'd have every respect for Mayo for the endless pursuit despite constant heartbreak. It's actually amazing in a way. Nothing like Dublin's achievements. But in its own way, this quest of Mayo's, you've got to respect how they keep rolling that rock back up.

Mayo really should have won in 2013, and I have always been convinced that if they did, that they would have won at least another in the subsequent years.

They keep rolling that rock, because they are genuinely a very good team and have been for the guts of a decade.

I'm going soft... COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Mayo really should have won in 2013, and I have always been convinced that if they did, that they would have won at least another in the subsequent years.

They keep rolling that rock, because they are genuinely a very good team and have been for the guts of a decade.

I'm going soft... COYBIB!

When John Small got a second yellow in either 2016 or 17, who was the Mayo player who floored him and got a straight red? I think that moment of passion cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in 15 games going back to 2012

I expect a easy enough Dublin win sadly. 8-10 points in end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Tomaldo wrote: »
    When John Small got a second yellow in either 2016 or 17, who was the Mayo player who floored him and got a straight red? I think that moment of passion cost them.

Donal Vaughan, and yes I agree. Couldn't believe he did it at the time. These are the small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in 15 games going back to 2012

I expect a easy enough Dublin win sadly. 8-10 points in end.
    That was Jim Gavins record against Mayo, lost to Mayo last when he wasn't manager. Saturday will be Dessie Farrells first big test as Dublin senior manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You completely misinterpreted the point. No one went into this championship thinking Mayo are the second best team this year - what was said was Mayo are the second best team of this era.

I don't think anybody can deny that. This is their 5th All-Ireland final in 8 years. In those they have lost to Dublin (aka the best team ever) 3 time. In those three finals they have drawn one game and lost the 3 others by a single point. No body has got that close to Dublin in a final since they started this run of 5 in a row.

You also conveniently brought up Mayo getting relegated this year but failed to mention they were league champions last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

You completely misinterpreted the point. No one went into this championship thinking Mayo are the second best team this year - what was said was Mayo are the second best team of this era.

I don't think anybody can deny that. This is their 5th All-Ireland final in 8 years. In those they have lost to Dublin (aka the best team ever) 3 time. In those three finals they have drawn one game and lost the 3 others by a single point. No body has got that close to Dublin in a final since they started this run of 5 in a row.

You also conveniently brought up Mayo getting relegated this year but failed to mention they were league champions last year.

No, I don’t believe I did misinterpret the point.“Tobefrank” didn’t explicitly state he meant they were the best team of the era, if he had have, I wouldn’t have brought it up. It could have been taken in either context.

Based on who Mayo have beaten this year though it would be fair to say that a tougher semi final against division 1 status could have ended the year for them.

Paradoxical claim to say it’s convenient that I mentioned their relegation, as if that means nothing, then you state that they were league champions last year.

I hope they win on Saturday by the way, just don’t buy into this belief that they’re the second best this year.
    I don’t disagree with you that they’re the second best team of the era.

I believe that if donegal or Kerry had have gotten a run to the final they’d be just as well suited to give Dublin a rattle.
    But sure that’s bridesmaid talk, they aren’t there and Mayo are!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was Jim Gavins record against Mayo, lost to Mayo last when he wasn't manager. Saturday will be Dessie Farrells first big test as Dublin senior manager.

Still cant see it. Time and time again Mayo have let it slip when one hand on the trophy. The only difference Saturday will be Dublin wont give them a sniff of it. They are ruthless, Mayo are anything but sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

No, I don’t believe I did misinterpret the point. Do you have two accounts? “Tobefrank” didn’t explicitly state he meant they were the best team of the era, if he had have, I wouldn’t have brought it up. It could have been taken in either context.

Based on who Mayo have beaten this year though it would be fair to say that a tougher semi final against division 1 status could have ended the year for them.

Paradoxical claim to say it’s convenient that I mentioned their relegation, as if that means nothing, then you state that they were league champions last year.

I hope they win on Saturday by the way, just don’t buy into this belief that they’re the second best this year.

I believe that if donegal or Kerry had have gotten a run to the final they’d be just as well suited to give Dublin a rattle.

I don't have two accounts, don't have time for that nonsense :o
    Anyway Tobefrank opened his post stating era's so anything that followed I assumed was in that context rather than for this year alone.

I would agree that they're not the second best this year and are probably two years ahead of schedule in terms of where you'd expect them to be. That in itself is a scary thought from a Mayo perspective. As you said Dublin are ruthless and I fear a heavy loss will put the development of this team backwards rather than enhance it.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I've often had a go at Mayo for losing. Some games by their own mistakes, the game with 2 own goals and.the Donie red were 2 games in their grasp.

But I dont think anyone is actually expecting a Mayo win this weekend. Fans will build up hope as the week goes on, which is exactly how it should be for a final and will be full of belief by throw in Saturday evening ready to cheer on their team as always. But if Dublin win.as expected, I think everyone will recognise the achievement of this Mayo team with a fair few new lads and the old stalwarts going to the well again..

I just hope, regardless who wins, it's as good a game between them as we've seen recently.

Of any final i ever remember, i have never seen people given us as little a chance. That includes Mayo people, i haven't spoken to anyone that thinks we can win this year.

Dublin is in a bit of a pickle, if they trash us there will be even more calls to split them. If they lose to a new young team they will be slated. Best Dublin can hope for is Mayo play out of their skins and Dublin win by 2 or 3 points.

No, I don’t believe I did misinterpret the point.“Tobefrank” didn’t explicitly state he meant they were the best team of the era, if he had have, I wouldn’t have brought it up. It could have been taken in either context.

Kerry maybe, but Donegal? No chance. No disrespect to Donegal but they have become like Tyrone completely over-rated in the championship. They've been relegated themselves in recent years, they havent reached an AI semi final since 2014 and they are heavily dependent on Murphy. They are regularly turned over in the championship including a division 2 cavan this year. And once out of Ulster they do little. They'd be hammered by Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Kerry maybe, but Donegal? No chance. No disrespect to Donegal but they have become like Tyrone completely over-rated in the championship. They've been relegated themselves in recent years, they havent reached an AI semi final since 2014 and they are heavily dependent on Murphy. They are regularly turned over in the championship including a division 2 cavan this year. And once out of Ulster they do little. They'd be hammered by Dublin.

I think Dublin have become so dominant that the question over who the next best team is now comes down to "who might be best placed to beat Dublin on a good day when everything goes in their favour", rather than who is consistently strong.

You could probably make a case for any of Kerry, Mayo or Donegal, but the gap is big nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Still cant see it. Time and time again Mayo have let it slip when one hand on the trophy. The only difference Saturday will be Dublin wont give them a sniff of it. They are ruthless, Mayo are anything but sadly.

Westmeath,Laois,Meath, Cavan is who Dublin have played in this championship all games they won comfortably as expected. Under new management, no supporters and in these covid it remains to be seen how they will react in a close competitive game.

I'm expecting Mayo to get a good sniff of it as they are going to bring huge intensity,physicality and fitness to this encounter.

Well this is certainly embarrassing. Mayo have beaten Galway, one of the best sides in Division 1. They also beat Roscommon who won division 2 and on their day are a very good side. Mayo have had by far the tougher run, just in Connacht alone.

Dublin beat a relegated division 1 side and a relegated division 2 side in the AI semi final. That said, Dublin beat both comfortably and are unlikely to be seriously challenged by Mayo. Mayo will put it up to Dublin for long stretches as they have done in past games, but unfortunately would not have the bench to match Dublin's. I also think Dublin benefit hugely from having Croke Park as a home ground in that its a massive pitch and they are used to the extra stamina and energy required. Mayo on the otherhand tend to run out of steam in Croke Park in big games. At this stage Dublin know Croke Park's pitch dimensions and surface like the back of their hand, which is a definite advantage in gaelic football. In elite sport its often the 1 or 2% advantage you can find here or there that add up to a big advantage in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think Dublin have become so dominant that the question over who the next best team is now comes down to "who might be best placed to beat Dublin on a good day when everything goes in their favour", rather than who is consistently strong.

You could probably make a case for any of Kerry, Mayo or Donegal, but the gap is big nonetheless.

But you can't make a case for Donegal.

Three times in a row now they have been expected to move to the next level (an All Ireland Semi Final) and on all three occasions they have totally fallen flat.

But you can't make a case for Donegal.

Three times in a row now they have been expected to move to the next level (an All Ireland Semi Final) and on all three occasions they have totally fallen flat.

I can never understand why Donegal are thrown into the mix year in year out.

Dublin and then Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone a good bit behind and possibly Galway after that. But Dublin are well ahead. They should have beaten Kerry well last year but for the sending off and going for a 5 in a row brings significant pressure and nerves, which they won't have this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭billyhead

In order for Mayo to beat Dublin, Dublin have to play well under par and Mayo to have the game of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Donal Vaughan, and yes I agree. Couldn't believe he did it at the time. These are the small margins.
    Small margins? Cillian O'Connor, of the non marquee forward O'Connors has the stones to kick an equaliser from around 45 metres in the 7th minute of injury time of an all ireland final. Denis Bastick then picks the ball off the ground from the kickout, should have been a tap over free to win the all ireland. Small margins indeed
    https://youtu.be/WBftNs6l3Ts?t=5823

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Bull****, the only time they have had one hand on the trophy was the 1996 final, both days against Meath. Every other final they were the underdog, perhaps marginally not so against Donegal in 2013 but could have gone either way. You could argue that they had Dublin beaten in 2017 until Vaughan got the red card but there was still a good 10 minutes left at that stage and plenty of teams have lost matches with a 1 man advantage so no guarantees then either.

Advertisement