Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Barring the last minute goal, it was a very dour affair.

Cork were turned over in their own half so many times, but Kerry didnt punish them..

A few comments about the ref not letting the game flow.. not his fault if the players are constantly fouling though.

It was hardly dour. It was compelling. Full of tension. Quality wasn't always there though .

Ref had little choice with the amount of fouling Kerry were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

There's more money to be made in High stakes winner takes all games. If you know you might only get one championship outing in the season, you're sure as shíte gonna make sure you're there.

Look at the state of the championship since the super 8s came in? No one cares about the extra games.

This

breezy1985 wrote: »
    How dare they like one sport and not the other. Worse than Hitler they are

Tbf hurling snobbery is an absolute pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

almostover wrote: »
    Try telling the hurling county nonsense to someone from West Cork or a Duhallow man like myself. There's a lot more football played in Cork than hurling. Mostly in the more rural parts of the county. It's a stereotype that needs fixing. We've enough clubs in the county to be challenging for all irelands in both codes every year.

It's something that drives me spare. I remember being at Cork championship double headers in 2004/2005 as a teenager and being in disbelief seeing Cork fans coming into the stadium at the end of the football game. Hurling snobbery drives me mental. If they're wearing the Cork jersey I'll support them playing tiddlywinks

I know the feeling being a West Clare Football man when people say Clare is a hurling county as there is just as much Football played in Clare as there is hurling, as there is literally no hurling played in West Clare. It really annoys me and I think the reason why Cork and Clare are seen as hurling counties is probably because both counties have achieved more success in hurling then what they have achieved in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Tbf hurling snobbery is an absolute pox.

Donal Og is a perfect example. He was on the SG one night complaining about clubs in Imokilly playing football. And dual players in Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barring the last minute goal, it was a very dour affair.

It was tight, close and very engaging. Not many turned it off !!

Silky skills etc were not exactly on show but there was some super scores, Connolly's pressure free from the sideline, Cliffird by the corner. The closeness of the scoreboard kept an interest all through.

I've seen plenty dour football games but I wouldn't classify this as one.
    But maybe I'm bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Today shock result in cork is great news for Galway/Mayo. They will be big favorite to beat Cork/Tipp in the semi and go through to final vs Dublin more than likely. Would be great to see Mayo finally beat the Dubs in a final.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It was tight, close and very engaging. Not many turned it off !!

Silky skills etc were not exactly on show but there was some super scores, Connolly's pressure free from the sideline, Cliffird by the corner. The closeness of the scoreboard kept an interest all through.

I've seen plenty dour football games but I wouldn't classify this as one.
    But maybe I'm bias.

Everyone came away from that today knowing they'd watched a game. More than can be said a lot of the time.

Anyway, I'll hear no bad words said about knockout ball ever again.

Donal Og is a perfect example. He was on the SG one night complaining about clubs in Imokilly playing football. And dual players in Clare.

That every county isn't a dual county to higher levels is a pox on the GAA.
    That they let KK away with it drives me spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

There's more money to be made in High stakes winner takes all games. If you know you might only get one championship outing in the season, you're sure as shíte gonna make sure you're there.

Look at the state of the championship since the super 8s came in? No one cares about the extra games.
    Gate receipts up 22% last year in the championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Even Roscommon would beat Cork/Tipp in the semi.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Gate receipts up 22% last year in the championship

Was their an AIF replay last year? I forget?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Was their an AIF replay last year? I forget?

Yes worth 3 million. Think profit was almost 6 overall . I agree knock out is more exciting but gaa will want to increase profit again once Covid is behind us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Would be great to see Mayo finally beat the Dubs in a final.

Hopefully not. I'd rather see Dublin do 10 in a row. Watching Mayo bottle it is the only thing that's kept me going some times the last few years and I'll have to hope for the same this year now my interest in this years championship is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Its brilliant. We've had the perfect GAA season, a dedicated club window followed by a high stakes county championship. Going back to the back door would be the antithesis of what the GAA purports to be about

Would be harsh on players. Training for so many months for possibly just one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

robbiezero wrote: »
    Would be harsh on players. Training for so many months for possibly just one game.

The club players spend the year training too to spend the summer waiting around for matches.....

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hopefully not. I'd rather see Dublin do 10 in a row. Watching Mayo bottle it is the only thing that's kept me going some times the last few years and I'll have to hope for the same this year now my interest in this years championship is over.

Yerra! I suppose it better to lose/draw against the All ireland champions in the final then be knocked out by a division 3 team in the first round :D

Perhaps if it was a more exciting sport it'd attract more interest. Hand-passing around the half back line, tippy-tappy into midfield, back into half back line, back into midfield, arse around for ten minutes, into the half forward line, hand-pass around for five minutes, get through on goal and be cynically dragged down.

A bad game of hurling is better than a great game of football.

Football is for people that aren't good enough at hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

dobman88 wrote: »

You lead a sad existence if that’s the only thing that keeps you going :D

Yerra! I suppose it better to lose/draw against the All ireland champions then be knocked out by a division 3 team in the first round :D

Well if anyone knows about that. Tis mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Even Roscommon would beat Cork/Tipp in the semi.

Well you did say Roscommon would beat Mayo so........ I suppose they might aswell beat Cork/Tipp too ;)

km79 wrote: »
    You lead a sad existence if that’s the only thing that keeps you going :D

Sure we havent had much to shout about ourselves the last few years. A fella needs something to cheer for on gaa sundays.

robbiezero wrote: »

They have the league and club.

Most players only play 2 games anyway.

Him and his strikes set Cork hurling back by 20 years. There were some great dual players on that last Cork team to win the hurling all ireland including his fellow Cloyne man Diarmuid O'Sullivan. Brian Corcoran and Tom Kenny were county level footballers too not to mention Sean Og.

Let's leave it at that for today and not sully this great victory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Perhaps if it was a more exciting sport it'd attract more interest. Hand-passing around the half back line, tippy-tappy into midfield, back into half back line, back into midfield, arse around for ten minutes, into the half forward line, hand-pass around for five minutes, get through on goal and be cynically dragged down.

No, it's not. Away off to the hurling forum if you want to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So many cliches in this

That couldn't be more untrue.

As for the rest for that shíte... It's a wonder you watch football at all so. Best leave us to it in the Football thread.

I love to see Cork beat Kerry in football as I grew up 5miles from the county bounds but I revel in anyone beating Kilkenny for this very reason.

Him and his strikes set Cork hurling back by 20 years. There were some great dual players on that last Cork team to win the hurling all ireland including his fellow Cloyne man Diarmuid O'Sullivan. Brian Corcoran and Tom Kenny were county level footballers too not to mention Sean Og.

Let's leave it at that for today and not sully this great victory

Brian Corcoran was and is my all time favourite Cork player.

---

The dual player would have a chance to come back if we got rid of all the back doors. :O

• Advertisement

Hurling is heading down a rocky path too if you'd care to pay attention. Limerick are going to clear 40 scores in a game someday soon. The sliothar can't be made heavier for health and safety reasons which is fine but a player at the top level with any space within 80m of the posts is now expected to score. The skill level to do that is very high but some of the entertainment value of hurling is diminished as a result.

Advertisement