Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

I dont know I'm kind of happy kerry are gone
    They are the media darlings, the purists, talked up consistently.

The media fawning over silly things. I remember david Moran attempt last year to lift tommy Walsh up for rocks late kick at a winner, it didn't materialise but the media made such an issue out of it. What many forget moran was caught at least 3 times in possession in the latter part of that game. Another example was Clifford's point tonight, he missed 4 guilt edge chances in the game. The recent league was also also seen as a huge moment, like no other team had ever won the league.

Today was a poor game- both sides very conservative at the risk of losing. Many dont want to hear it on here but a 6 in a row looks ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

almostover wrote: »
    Hurling is heading down a rocky path too if youd care to pay attention. Limerick are going to clear 40 scores in a game someday soon. The slitohar can't be made heavier for health and safety reasons which is fine but a player at the top level with any space within 80m of the posts is now expected to score. The skill level to do that is very high but some of the entertainment value of hurling is diminished as a result.

If the ridge of the sliothar was extended and standardised it would go a long way to stopping that nonsense. Anyway, that's for another thread and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

almostover wrote: »
    Hurling is heading down a rocky path too if youd care to pay attention. Limerick are going to clear 40 scores in a game someday soon. The slitohar can't be made heavier for health and safety reasons which is fine but a player at the top level with any space within 80m of the posts is now expected to score. The skill level to do that is very high but some of the entertainment value of hurling is diminished as a result.

100%. The way it's going the goalkeeper will be pucking the ball over the bar in a few years. This score a minute game we have now is not the most exciting in my view. The physicality is disappearing out of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Cork was always a great place for an AMBUSH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Because Kerry are a far better team.

They weren't good enough today.

• Advertisement

They weren't good enough today.

Correct. Ah well there's always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Cork was always a great place for an AMBUSH!

At least it was a different county this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Kerry man calls it a terrible game of football, shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Green&Red wrote: »

Yep..Not nearly a square ball and not nearly a push. Fûcking awful Kerry defending as much as the goal was well taken by Keane, he caught the ball 13 meters out, two Kerry men looking at him then each other, no challenges on him and he slotted it away. Best team won. Excellent game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They have the league and club.

Most players only play 2 games anyway.

The club game would die an absolute death without the All Ireland. Kids dont pick sports based on which one makes them look like a patriot or a true geal they pick the ones they see their heroes play on TV. They have soccer, rugby and god knows how many other games to choose from and condemning the premier tournament to a few games will leave GAA no bigger than Shinty after a few generations.

Plenty of sports are struggling to be seen in the 21st century and games like cricket in England have lost their place in the national conversation and you want to limit the GAAs biggest asset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Strumms wrote: »
    Yep..Not nearly a square ball and not nearly a push. Fûcking awful Kerry defending as much as the goal was well taken by Keane, he caught the ball 13 meters out, two Kerry men looking at him then each other, no challenges on him and he slotted it away. Best team won. Excellent game.

:pac: I love how he has moved from catching it just outside the small.square to 13 metres out in the space of a few hours. He will be on the 45 by the end of next week :pac:

A fantastic catch and finish no doubt

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The club game would die an absolute death without the All Ireland. Kids dont pick sports based on which one makes them look like a patriot or a true geal they pick the ones they see their heroes play on TV. They have soccer, rugby and god knows how many other games to choose from and condemning the premier tournament to a few games will leave GAA no bigger than Shinty after a few generations.

Plenty of sports are struggling to be seen in the 21st century and games like cricket in England have lost their place in the national conversation and you want to limit the GAAs biggest asset

How am I limiting it?

Do you think there's an audience for a round one qualifier between Leitrim and Wicklow that will disappear suddenly if we have knock out matches?

Nonsense take.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dobman88 wrote: »
    :pac: I love how he has moved from catching it just outside the small.square to 13 metres out in the space of a few hours. He will be on the 45 by the end of next week :pac:

A fantastic catch and finish no doubt

Haha yep, brain fart typo been a long day..:D

How am I limiting it?

Do you think there's an audience for a round one qualifier between Leitrim and Wicklow that will disappear suddenly if we have knock out matches?

Nonsense take.

Im not saying that the current set up works and Ide make changes but straight knockout forever like its still the 1980s would kill the game in the long run. Less TV and less of that big evil money would ruin the club game

If you were new to football and just had tonights highlights to go by you would think Limerick and Tipp are way better sides than Cork and Kerry

Im not saying that the current set up works and Ide make changes but straight knockout forever like its still the 1980s would kill the game in the long run. Less TV and less of that big evil money would ruin the club game

But go back to the 80s, how many games were ACTUALLY on TV?

You're not looking at this through a 21st century lense.

There might be a reduction in the amount of games that re played but the amount of eyeballs that are on them will increase, there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If you were new to football and just had tonights highlights to go by you would think Limerick and Tipp are way better sides than Cork and Kerry

Different conditions and better teams cancel each other out. We’ll find out Sunday week for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Tomas o se looks distraught tonight. Hes taking it very bad. He isnt acting professional at all.

Different conditions and better teams cancel each other out. We’ll find out Sunday week for sure!

I dont doubt it. Its just how highlights mostly just show successful attacks it made the poorer teams look like they are way better at breaking down a defence

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tomas o se looks distraught tonight. Hes taking it very bad. He isnt acting professional at all.

A McDonalds moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I don't blame him, Kerry were awful today.He tweeted earlier that they will have plenty of time now to look for Fungi.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A McDonalds moment!

I'm switching over for that.

I don't think he was too pleased with Des Cahill's 'you could smile Tomas' jibe at the intro to tonight's show, either. I happened to be drop in for a pint in the Boer's Head last year sometime can't remember when exactly. It's not a pub i frequent at all. Probably only in it a few times but i had a thirst on me and was on the tail end of a few day bender and met a pal there during the day early in week possibly a Monday. There was only a handful in but to my surprise who was propping up the bar having a quiet drink only Tomas himself. Got chatting after a while and he was sound as a pound and lets just say Des Cahill wouldn't be at the top of his christmas card list :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Was talking to him a couple of weeks ago in Cork on a Sunday morning. I'd have time for him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He is like a savage.
    I have to say, I like that.
    Getting knocked out of the championship should hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I dont doubt it. Its just how highlights mostly just show successful attacks it made the poorer teams look like they are way better at breaking down a defence

Much more space the further the levels you go down though cork were operating in Div 3 this year.

The Sunday Game just started on RTE 2 +1 ... might watch it again!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This Kerry team are coming to the peak of their powers while after watching Mayo here today their peak has certainly passed.
    Mayo 8/11
    Galway evens

I'll play it safe and back Galway +1 just in case it ends a draw. Come back to me next week after full time and we'll see who's out of their mind.

Think already out of your mind 😜

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The Sunday Game just started on RTE 2 +1 ... might watch it again!!

:)

Advertisement