Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

yop wrote: »
    Think already out of your mind 😜

Hindsight never got a prediction wrong!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

robbiezero wrote: »
    He is like a savage.
    I have to say, I like that.
    Getting knocked out of the championship should hurt.

100% we'd all be the same. Bound to be spitting bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The Sunday Game just started on RTE 2 +1 ... might watch it again!!

Catchup did it for me.

Didn't get to see any of the LK TY game yesterday and then hit the hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jaysus Limerick must be sick to have not at least got the game to penalties . Should have won it in normal time too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

km79 wrote: »
    Jaysus Limerick must be sick to have not at least got the game to penalties . Should have won it in normal time too

The poor chap that missed the handy one at the end will be having nightmares. Criminal for a county player. I've been scratching my head why he.whacked it. Only thing I can think is pressure in his head must have got to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

dobman88 wrote: »
    The poor chap that missed the handy one at the end will be having nightmares. Criminal for a county player. I've been scratching my head why he.whacked it. Only thing I can think is pressure in his head must have got to him

I'd say pressure got to him a bit.
    Technique was all wrong.
    Poor chap. Nightmare for him especially a lad that had come on from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ya his mopey face got on my nerves. Kerry lads are sore losers anyway, especially if its Dublin, Cork or a defensive northern team but Kerry were shocking today in fairness.

We're pissed off with Kerry's performance, was shocking. Don't think you'll have many Kerry fans begrudge Cork their win or make excuses for losing

Was one of the worst Kerry performance in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

This defeat will hurt Kerry. It wasn't supposed to happen that's worse again. Im surprised with Tomas. He should just take it on the chin. It wasnt a great game but the scoreboard matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Im not saying that the current set up works and Ide make changes but straight knockout forever like its still the 1980s would kill the game in the long run. Less TV and less of that big evil money would ruin the club game

The GAA are favouring moving the League to summer and using the final placings to decide who takes part in the Championship. The plan is to have the top 4 in Div 1 and top 2 in Div 2 qualify for the QFs. The 5th placed team in Div 1, 3rd placed team in Div 2, and the champions of Div 3 and 4 would qualify for the PQFs. So it would look this if it happened this year. The remaining 14 Div 3 and 4 teams will compete in Tier 2.

QFs: Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Donegal, Roscommon, and Armagh.

PQFs: Donegal, Kildare, Cork, and Limerick.

I'm not a fan of these placings. I don't think a Div 4 side should get preference over teams competing at a higher level. It would just be easier if they had two tiers of 16 based on the final league placings. So the Div 3 finalists would be promoted to Tier 1. Relegated teams in Div 2 would be relegated to Tier 2. Now the GAA's proposed format would still be better than what we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

The GAA are favouring moving the League to summer and using the final placings to decide who takes part in the Championship. The plan is to have the top 4 in Div 1 and top 2 in Div 2 qualify for the QFs. The 5th placed team in Div 1, 3rd placed team in Div 2, and the champions of Div 3 and 4 would qualify for the PQFs. So it would look this if it happened this year. The remaining 14 Div 3 and 4 teams will compete in Tier 2.

I'm not a fan of these placings. I don't think a Div 4 side should get preference over teams competing at a higher level. It would just be easier if they had two tiers of 16 based on the final league placings. So the Div 3 finalists would be promoted to Tier 1. Relegated teams in Div 2 would be relegated to Tier 2. Now the GAA's proposed format would still be better than what we have at the moment.

Typically stupid GAA answer to a question no body asked. How can you justify a division one team being dropped in favour of a division 2, 3 or 4. Its farcical. No other sport in the world would even contemplate it.

3 tier league and if you play in the top two divisions you get to play in the open draw knockout AI championship. The 3rd division get a seperate championship. That way every team has a chance to be in the main comp every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

almostover wrote: »
    Try telling the hurling county nonsense to someone from West Cork or a Duhallow man like myself. There's a lot more football played in Cork than hurling. Mostly in the more rural parts of the county. It's a stereotype that needs fixing. We've enough clubs in the county to be challenging for all irelands in both codes every year.

It's something that drives me spare. I remember being at Cork championship double headers in 2004/2005 as a teenager and being in disbelief seeing Cork fans coming into the stadium at the end of the football game. Hurling snobbery drives me mental. If they're wearing the Cork jersey I'll support them playing tiddlywinks

In fairness yere ladies have been successful in both Ladies Football and Camoige in the last 15 years or so, so there is no reason why the men can’t do the same definitely think ye are definitely on the up. Was very impressed by the debutants in the backs Sean Meehan and Maurice Shanley. Both are tight tenacious defenders and Meehan made a great burst up the field for the goal that got Cork into a scoreable position.

Hurling snobbery and sports snobbery in general is really pathetic. Like it’s the same when Ireland are playing rugby you get people who are delighted when Ireland are beat, it’s really crazy that there are people like this. I suppose it’s about geography and where your raised like me being from a football mad club in west Clare with all the other clubs around my area in West Clare being football clubs.

I would cheer for Clare in whatever sport they are playing in, but I really kinda fell out of love for the Clare hurlers and hurling people in the county when Podge Collins a few years decided to join the football panel, it was almost like the end of the world and he was almost like some sort of traitor when he was still representing the county. Anyways best of luck to Cork and Tipp in the Munster final, it’s great to see Kerry beat and the hype around that team.

Like someone posted a picture of Kerry’s bench for the game was it on Saturday evening I think and they were saying about what a bench they had, but to be honest apart from maybe Killian Spillane Kerry’s bench was decent but nothing out of the ordinary, while Dublin left numerous All Ireland winners and all stars on their bench for their game against Westmeath there was nothing said about the quality of Dublin’s bench.

Kevin McStay was particularly annoying when he said that Clifford’s point in the 1st half of extra time was the best point he had ever seen nearly made me vomit, a great score, but best ever give me a break. In the last 2 weeks we have seen Beggan and Galligan kicked monster frees. Like Connolly kick two brilliant pressure frees. Gerard Smith of Cavan kick an unbelievable equaliser for Cavan from out on the sideline, Conor Sweeney also kicked a brilliant equaliser and Ray Connellan kick a ridiculous point from a very tight angle and McStay somehow thinks that a point from a favourable angle for a left footed kick is somehow the best point of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

After yesterdays Kingdom exit the current odds

Dublin 4/6
    Donegal 5/1
    Mayo 6/1
    Galway 15/2
    Cork 10/1
    Meath 66/1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Are the GAA really favouring this. Seems very radical

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Kevin McStay was particularly annoying when he said that Clifford’s point in the 1st half of extra time was the best point he had ever seen nearly made me vomit and great score, but best ever give me a break. In the last 2 weeks we have seen Beggan and Galligan kicked monster frees. Like Connolly kick two brilliant pressure frees. Gerard Smith of Cavan kick an unbelievable equaliser for Cavan from out on the sideline, Conor Sweeney also kicked a brilliant equaliser and Ray Connellan kick a ridiculous point from a very tight angle and McStay some from thinks that a point from a favourable angle for a left footed kick is somehow the best point of all time.

I think Kevin got carried away when he seen a score from play!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Are we starting to see demographics play its part on what Elite teams will be challenging for Liam McCarthy and Sam Maguire year on year?

The big city counties doing well in hurling (Limerick) and Football (Dublin) this year, big financial backing, bigger population, better access to elite facilities and less chance of emigration.

I think Cork will come really good in hurling and football over the next 3-5 years too.

Traditional heavyweight rural counties like Kilkenny and Kerry not as dominant as decades previous.

Kerry have lost a few top players to Oz, would that have happened if they lived and played for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So three division one teams wouldn’t have a chance to win the all Ireland?

conor05 wrote: »
    Are we starting to see demographics play its part on what Elite teams will be challenging for Liam McCarthy and Sam Maguire year on year?

The big city counties doing well in hurling (Limerick) and Football (Dublin) this year, big financial backing, bigger population, better access to elite facilities and less chance of emigration.

I think Cork will come really good in hurling and football over the next 3-5 years too.

Traditional heavyweight rural counties like Kilkenny and Kerry not as dominant as decades previous.

Kerry have lost a few top players to Oz, would that have happened if they lived and played for Dublin?

KK only stopped being dominant a few years ago so I wouldn't write them off and Kerry are still probably the second best team in football along with the equally sized Donegal so I wouldn't write any of them off especially when you consider that the Kerry group sponsorship is reported to be one of the biggest in football outside Dublin.

The population and it's money raising ability does help but it's nothing new and Limerick and Dublin are the 2 big sleeping giants of their sport and it was inevitable that they would finally sort their crap out at some stage.

Bigger counties also have the pull of other sports to a level rural ones don't have and Limerick city clubs lose a lot of potential players and sponsorship money to rugby and soccer.
    Corks have the perfect storm of having a big proud sport mad population which lets them competitive across a ton of sports

conor05 wrote: »

Been that way for quite a while, more than half of Mayos squad from last year live and work in Dublin.

threeball wrote: »
    Typically stupid GAA answer to a question no body asked. How can you justify a division one team being dropped in favour of a division 2, 3 or 4. Its farcical. No other sport in the world would even contemplate it.

3 tier league and if you play in the top two divisions you get to play in the open draw knockout AI championship. The 3rd division get a seperate championship. That way every team has a chance to be in the main comp every year.

4 tier league is being retained so each division has 8 teams. But granting a Div 4 side in Championship over 3 Div 1 sides is a farce.

Are the GAA really favouring this. Seems very radical

It's either that or provinces with 8 teams each. The makeup of the provinces will be determined by placings in the League. 2 lowest ranked Leinster counties would move to Munster. So Carlow and Wexford would have been in Munster this year. That wouldn't have changed anything.

• Advertisement

What is the GAA's obsession with over rewarding teams?

Same happens with the Joe McDonagh in hurling?

It's like trying to be fair to a load of senior infants on sports day.

What is the GAA's obsession with over rewarding teams?

Same happens with the Joe McDonagh in hurling?

It's like trying to be fair to a load of senior infants on sports day.

I understand it in development leagues but it is a joke in senior competition. It's like a few years back when people were crying to change the format to save a useless Offaly team from relegation. Some people like to pretend that the likes of Leitrim could win Liam McCarthy if only given the chance

I understand it in development leagues but it is a joke in senior competition. It's like a few years back when people were crying to change the format to save a useless Offaly team from relegation. Some people like to pretend that the likes of Leitrim could win Liam McCarthy if only given the chance

Remember they made Division 1 in hurling 9 teams lest Clare got relegated. I think I'm recalling that correctly.

Hurling are always guilty of it. The fact that there's 2 sections of Division 1 says it all. It's like an affront to lose a match and not have a chance to win a league title.

I will keep banging this drum, the league in football is as perfect as it can be. Why you would touch it is beyond me. Like with the super 8s, they're answering the wrong questions.

Remember they made Division 1 in hurling 9 teams lest Clare got relegated. I think I'm recalling that correctly.

Hurling are always guilty of it. The fact that there's 2 sections of Division 1 says it all. It's like an affront to lose a match and not have a chance to win a league title.

I will keep banging this drum, the league in football is as perfect as it can be. Why you would touch it is beyond me. Like with the super 8s, they're answering the wrong questions.

The hurling league is a joke the way it keeps changing. Limerick were relegated under that system and everytime they tried come back up they seemed to change the rules.
    They change it to give teams a chance against the big boys then they get a hammering and it's all deemed too predictable and teams need to be competing at their own level and round we go again.

Football league is brilliant very few games don't matter and the teams are very evenly balanced

The hurling league is a joke the way it keeps changing. Limerick were relegated under that system and everytime they tried come back up they seemed to change the rules.
    They change it to give teams a chance against the big boys then they get a hammering and it's all deemed too predictable and teams need to be competing at their own level and round we go again.

Football league is brilliant very few games don't matter and the teams are very evenly balanced

Hard to imagine Mayo, Donegal or Cork's relegations being accepted in a hurling context. Don't see many complaining about it on merit.

God I love the league. I remember I wrote a massive post on the football league formats a few month's ago while I was meant to be writing my dissertation. I really need to find it.

Hard to imagine Mayo, Donegal or Cork's relegations being accepted in a hurling context. Don't see many complaining about it on merit.

God I love the league. I remember I wrote a massive post on the football league formats a few month's ago while I was meant to be writing my dissertation. I really need to find it.

As a Limerick fan the league is way more fun than seeing how far we can get before the eventual hiding in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Can't see beyond a Kerry v Dublin final to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

JeffKenna wrote: »

Kerry got knocked out yesterday......not sure if there’s a back door this year.

JeffKenna wrote: »

Don't tell me you know something we don't?
    BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Kerry got knocked out yesterday......not sure if there’s a back door this year.

No back door. The lads from the SW are gone for another year. Phew.

• Advertisement

Here's that post:
    How was it better?

1A/1B? 2A/2B? Bang of hurling off them to be fair.

---

The old league system you say?

Which format?

The format immediately preceding the current system that we had from 99/00 to 2007?

Or the one before that inexplicably let the winners of Div 2A/B into the league knockouts with 6 other teams in Div 1A/B in 1998/99?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%9399_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

What about the reorganization year in 1997/98 that had 4 groups (A-D) mixed of what we'd call Div 1, 2, 3 and 4 teams now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

Perhaps you liked the format in 1996/97 where 8 teams got to contest the League QUARTER-FINALS as follows:
    The top 4 teams in Division 1
    The top 2 teams in Division 2
    The first-placed teams in Divisions 3 and 4

That was a doozy. Only had that format from 1993/94.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996%E2%80%9397_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

1992/93 was another reorganisation year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992%E2%80%9393_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

We had the single year in 1991/92 where Division 1 had three groups of six teams and Division 2 had 2 groups of seven teams.

And of course the obligatory inexplicable entry for lower ranked teams into the knockouts:

Division One (A): top 2 teams
    Division One (B): top 2 teams
    Division One (C): top 2 teams
    Division Two (A): top team
    Division Two (B): top team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

---

I can go on if you'd like...

So tell me, what format did you mean when you said you wanted to go back to the old system?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113850007&postcount=730

I did enjoy taking my "roid rage" [sic] out on yer man. He never did answer my question.

Advertisement