Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I don't know why simple changes in GAA always have to be justified with ultra complicated solutions. It could be simple. Something Like Tier 1 = current divisions 1 and 2, Tier 2 = divisions 3 and 4. Draw 2 groups of 8 from each tier at random (or seed them if needs be); top 4 from each go into an All-Ireland QF with the teams on the other side of their tier. Tier 2 finalists replace the bottom teams in Tier 1 the following season.

Every team is guaranteed 7 games minimum. Finalists play 10, and the inter-county season is shortened to allow the club season room to breathe.

Yesterday threw out my argument that the Leinster and Munster championships are absolutely pointless, but I think it was a bit of an aberration. I'd be amazed if anyone other than Dublin won Leinster in the next 10 years. Kerry will probably win 8-9 of the next 10 in Munster. Go moving teams around the provinces and the justification for keeping them "provincial" is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Kerry got knocked out yesterday......not sure if there’s a back door this year.

Those Kerry lads are never beat. They'll be back in the final with their peaky hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

No back door. The lads from the SW are gone for another year. Phew.[/QUOTE]

Surely the elite footballers from the Kingdom will be given another chance?

The GAA are favouring moving the League to summer and using the final placings to decide who takes part in the Championship. The plan is to have the top 4 in Div 1 and top 2 in Div 2 qualify for the QFs. The 5th placed team in Div 1, 3rd placed team in Div 2, and the champions of Div 3 and 4 would qualify for the PQFs. So it would look this if it happened this year. The remaining 14 Div 3 and 4 teams will compete in Tier 2.

QFs: Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Donegal, Roscommon, and Armagh.

PQFs: Donegal, Kildare, Cork, and Limerick.

I'm not a fan of these placings. I don't think a Div 4 side should get preference over teams competing at a higher level. It would just be easier if they had two tiers of 16 based on the final league placings. So the Div 3 finalists would be promoted to Tier 1. Relegated teams in Div 2 would be relegated to Tier 2. Now the GAA's proposed format would still be better than what we have at the moment.

Pure GAA and this ridiculous ‘ah shur’ mentality. If someone is in a lower division it’s because they deserve to be. Ineptitude shouldn’t be rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

How I would rank the remaining sides in this knock out All-Ireland championship.

1 Dublin
    2 Mayo
    3 Donegal
    4 Galway
    5 Meath
    6 Armagh
    7 Kildare
    8 Cork
    9 Cavan
    10 Laois
    11 Down
    12 Tipperary

With that in mind if it isn't a Mayo v Dublin AI final it will be a big surprise but worth noting surprises happen as seen with Kerry yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Just thinking of Kerry's loss yesterday and it really was a black day for the Kingdom. The madness started in the warm up when i heard Ger Canning say there is no Paul Geaney or James O Donoghue in the squad. My ears pricked a little as they definately bolster any team even coming off the bench.

It quickly became apparent after about 15 minutes that Kerry were not on song as it was scrappy fare with none of Kerry's usual silky skills on show. The rot set in when Seanie O Se missed a simple free from 21 yards just to the left of the goal in a wide that must have given Cork a lift. This from a player that had a near flawless placed ball success in both All.Ireland final's last year.

When Cork managed to eke out a narrow half time lead the widespread prematch predictions of a handy Kerry win or perhaps even a rout was looking a little off the mark.

The second half saw Kerry improve but the weather deteriated to something akin to last weeks hurling monsoon conditions which again seemed to level the game up as bizarrely David Clifford butchered two handy frees that he'd usually kick with his eyes closed. The wet ball seemed to skim off his left boot.

At this stage strange things were definately beginning to happen and the 'shock' was on. But even at that Kerry edged themselves two in front with just a few minutes remaining and Cork scores had dried up.

After Cork halved that deficit they had four minutes of injury time to find an equaliser but were running into cul de sacs and running out of time. Stupidly, just as the pocket rocket Powter looked like coughing up possession and with it hearing the full time whistle Kerry gave away a cheap foul when there was loads of bodies back and little danger of a Cork score. It was hard to believe the naivety of it all.

If all that was bad enough for the Kingdom they certainly left the worst for last. Two points up once again and just about to go into garbage time in extra time they let a big hit and hope land in around the square into the chest of Mark Keane who duly burst the net and with it Kerry's hopes of a happy Christmas. And this with a 6ft 4 Tommy Walsh standing almost motionless as the ball sailed over his head. And with it the final nail in Kerry's coffin in the most un-Kerry like performance for many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Just thinking of Kerry's loss yesterday and it really was a black day for the Kingdom. The madness started in the warm up when i heard Ger Canning say there is no Paul Geaney or James O Donoghue in the squad. My ears pricked a little as they definately bolster any team even coming off the bench.

It quickly became apparent after about 15 minutes that Kerry were not on song as it was scrappy fare with none of Kerry's usual silky skills on show. The rot set in when Seanie O Se missed a simple free from 21 yards just to the left of the goal in a wide that must have given Cork a lift. This from a player that had a near flawless placed ball success in both All.Ireland final's last year.

When Cork managed to eke out a narrow half time lead the widespread prematch predictions of a handy Kerry win or perhaps even a rout was looking a little off the mark.

The second half saw Kerry improve but the weather deteriated to something akin to last weeks hurling monsoon conditions which again seemed to level the game up as bizarrely David Clifford butchered two handy frees that he'd usually kick with his eyes closed. The wet ball seemed to skim off his left boot.

At this stage strange things were definately beginning to happen and the 'shock' was on. But even at that Kerry edged themselves two in front with just a few minutes remaining and Cork scores had dried up.

After Cork halved that deficit they had four minutes of injury time to find an equaliser but were running into cul de sacs and running out of time. Stupidly, just as the pocket rocket Powter looked like coughing up possession and with it hearing the full time whistle Kerry gave away a cheap foul when there was loads of bodies back and little danger of a Cork score. It was hard to believe the naivety of it all.

If all that was bad enough for the Kingdom they certainly left the worst for last. Two points up once again and just about to go into garbage time in extra time they let a big hit and hope land in around the square into the chest of Mark Keane who duly burst the net and with it Kerry's hopes of a happy Christmas. And this with a 6ft 4 Tommy Walsh standing almost motionless as the ball sailed over his head. And with it the final nail in Kerry's coffin in the most un-Kerry like performance for many a year.

Cork were only down a point before mark keane scored the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yesterday threw out my argument that the Leinster and Munster championships are absolutely pointless, but I think it was a bit of an aberration. I'd be amazed if anyone other than Dublin won Leinster in the next 10 years. Kerry will probably win 8-9 of the next 10 in Munster.

If the same teams winning competitions is the measure of whether they are pointless or not then even the All Ireland championship itself is now pointless? Not sure that measure can be applied. Kerry would beat Wicklow, Wexford, Westmeath etc. just as often and reliably as they beat Limerick, Tipperary or Waterford. Dublin would do likewise with Clare, Roscommon or Antrim. Many fall into the trap of thinking that the provincial championships cause imbalances but they just reflect them consistently. Getting rid of the provinces would not get rid of inequality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I don't think he was too pleased with Des Cahill's 'you could smile Tomas' jibe at the intro to tonight's show, either. I happened to be drop in for a pint in the Boer's Head last year sometime can't remember when exactly. It's not a pub i frequent at all. Probably only in it a few times but i had a thirst on me and was on the tail end of a few day bender and met a pal there during the day early in week possibly a Monday. There was only a handful in but to my surprise who was propping up the bar having a quiet drink only Tomas himself. Got chatting after a while and he was sound as a pound and lets just say Des Cahill wouldn't be at the top of his christmas card list :)

As a Dub, I'd far prefer Tómas to Cahill any day of the week.

Rubbing the nose of someone who cares deeply about something on national TV is bad form, no matter who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

It's quite hilarious that the media still get giddy around james o Donoghue

He hasn't done a thing since 2015...

RTE are hilarious some times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I look forward to such in depth insightful analysis of every game this year Chalkie :rolleyes:

Bonniedog wrote: »
    As a Dub, I'd far prefer Tómas to Cahill any day of the week.

Rubbing the nose of someone who cares deeply about something on national TV is bad form, no matter who it is.

It was typical Cahill though. A needless, cheep quip. Tomas was exactly like you see him on tv when i met him Good company. As for Cahill? Can we not get someone else in there?

dobman88 wrote: »
    I look forward to such in depth insightful analysis of every game this year Chalkie :rolleyes:

Stay tuned. My Longford v Laois review coming up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Pure GAA and this ridiculous ‘ah shur’ mentality. If someone is in a lower division it’s because they deserve to be. Ineptitude shouldn’t be rewarded.

Yeah. Just limit it to DIv 1 and 2 teams if they want to use the League to decide placings. Cork would have still been in it because they were promoted to Div 2. Summer league is a good idea but not like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

4 tier league is being retained so each division has 8 teams. But granting a Div 4 side in Championship over 3 Div 1 sides is a farce.

If they won't adjust the league tiers then just go with the FA Cup model of the division 3 and 4 teams playing knockout for two rounds before the division 1 and 2 teams are introduced. Straight knockout it could all be decided after 6 rounds of games straight off the back of the league.

Rosita wrote: »
    If the same teams winning competitions is the measure of whether they are pointless or not then even the All Ireland championship itself is now pointless? Not sure that measure can be applied. Kerry would beat Wicklow, Wexford, Westmeath etc. just as often and reliably as they beat Limerick, Tipperary or Waterford. Dublin would do likewise with Clare, Roscommon or Antrim. Many fall into the trap of thinking that the provincial championships cause imbalances but they just reflect them consistently. Getting rid of the provinces would not get rid of inequality.

It would, if replaced by a competition that puts teams of similar quality against each other. No one benefits from the Dublin V Westmeath game on Saturday, Dublin would probably have harder training sessions. Westmeath would be far better served playing a series of games against reasonably equal opponents, and over time theyd maybe grow into playing the better sides. If it was just one game, fair enough, but theyll do the same to Laois at the weekend.

I dont think the same teams winning a competition makes it pointless. I do think the nailed on certainty that they are going to before a ball is kicked does. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

It would, if replaced by a competition that puts teams of similar quality against each other. No one benefits from the Dublin V Westmeath game on Saturday, Dublin would probably have harder training sessions. Westmeath would be far better served playing a series of games against reasonably equal opponents, and over time theyd maybe grow into playing the better sides. If it was just one game, fair enough, but theyll do the same to Laois at the weekend.

I dont think the same teams winning a competition makes it pointless. I do think the nailed on certainty that they are going to before a ball is kicked does. Just my opinion.

We already have that competition. It's called the League. I'd actually prefer to move the League to the summer and keep the Provincials. Scrap the backdoor as well. Westmeath play 7 games against equal opponents every year in the League. Create a two tier championship and they'll still be playing against Div 1 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

C__MC wrote: »
    It's quite hilarious that the media still get giddy around james o Donoghue

He hasn't done a thing since 2015...

RTE are hilarious some times

You're right. He was sensational in 2014 and nothing of significance since.
    At this stage, he's more famous for Martin McHugh proclaiming that he was better then the Gooch, whilst advising that Gooch was a 2 trick pony.
    What the devil was he thinking. rush of blood to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

You're right. He was sensational in 2014 and nothing of significance since.
    At this stage, he's more famous for Martin McHugh proclaiming that he was better then the Gooch, whilst advising that Gooch was a 2 trick pony.
    What the devil was he thinking. rush of blood to the head.

Kerry players and forwards in general seem to be hyped up to the max, I don’t know is it because of the past or what. There forward line now as a unit just doesn’t have the balance. Clifford can at times be hot and cold, O’Shea is a brilliant free tacker and works hard and is a very good player. I think Brosnan could be a decent forward for them, Spillane seems to be a good impact player off the bench, and could struggle to start as he could get this reputation as a super sub. Moynihan and Buckley are workers but they don’t seem like they are going to score a lot. O’Beaglaoich is a defender playing out of position.

Compare that to balance that the likes of Dublin or Donegal have in their forward line there not relying on one man to win them a game they have several talented forwards who can strike the balance between work hard for the team but also being a scoring threat. Mayo and Galway also have potential to have dangerous and exciting young forwards.

Anyway nothing seems to be said about the players Cork were missing Ciaran Sheehan, Tomas Clancy, Liam O’Donovan and Kevin Crowley would probably have been starting for Cork on Sunday if fit, so it shows that there is good strength and depth in the Cork team that they can be able to bring on Connolly, Mark Keane, Paul Kerrigan, Michael Hurley and Sean White even though they have players missing through injury. The future looks bright in Cork and Kerry definitely won’t get it their own way in Munster for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Kerry players and forwards in general seem to be hyped up to the max, I don’t know is it because of the past or what. There forward line now as a unit just doesn’t have the balance. Clifford can at times be hot and cold, O’Shea is a brilliant free tacker and works hard and is a very good player. I think Brosnan could be a decent forward for them, Spillane seems to be a good impact player off the bench, and could struggle to start as he could get this reputation as a super sub. Moynihan and Buckley are workers but they don’t seem like they are going to score a lot. O’Beaglaoich is a defender playing out of position.

Compare that to balance that the likes of Dublin or Donegal have in their forward line there not relying on one man to win them a game they have several talented forwards who can strike the balance between work hard for the team but also being a scoring threat. Mayo and Galway also have potential to have dangerous and exciting young forwards.

Anyway nothing seems to be said about the players Cork were missing Ciaran Sheehan, Tomas Clancy, Liam O’Donovan and Kevin Crowley would probably have been starting for Cork on Sunday if fit, so it shows that there is good strength and depth in the Cork team that they can be able to bring on Connolly, Mark Keane, Paul Kerrigan, Michael Hurley and Sean White even though they have players missing through injury. The future looks bright in Cork and Kerry definitely won’t get it their own way in Munster for the next few years.

There probably is an element of hype around the Kerry forwards but I think some of your analysis goes too far in the other direction. Kerry have 4 top-class forward threats in Clifford, O'Shea, O'Brien and Geaney. Then you have Killian Spillane who seems to be reaching the same level, and Brosnan who I think has only played 2 championship games but shows plenty of potential. One poor game (in which he still scored 3 from play) doesn't make Clifford a "hot and cold" player - he contributes significantly to almost every game he plays for Kerry. Remember Moynihan and Buckley are both very new to inter-county football, and along with Adrian Spillane when fit they are the type of hard workers every modern team needs in one or two out of thei forward six. Agree it was bizarre withdrawing O'Brien from the starting team in favour of a defender for that game, and reminiscent of the Kerry's management's mistake with Gavin White playing out of position last year. I would agree there was a lack of balance in the forward unit that lined out against Cork, but they definitely have the forwards - the management just got their selection and tactics all wrong in attack (as they did in the other areas of the game too).

I agree about the talent Cork have, and there are more players coming through from their recent minor and u20 successes . Cathal O'Mahony is another serious prospect who might have started yesterday if available. Cork football finally seems to have hit a definite upward curve - not sure how much further it will go in this year's championship but they are well positioned for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Munster final set for Pairc ui Chaoimh - 22nd November at 1:30pm

Agus wrote: »
    There probably is an element of hype around the Kerry forwards but I think some of your analysis goes too far in the other direction. Kerry have 4 top-class forward threats in Clifford, O'Shea, O'Brien and Geaney. Then you have Killian Spillane who seems to be reaching the same level, and Brosnan who I think has only played 2 championship games but shows plenty of potential. One poor game (in which he still scored 3 from play) doesn't make Clifford a "hot and cold" player - he contributes significantly to almost every game he plays for Kerry. Remember Moynihan and Buckley are both very new to inter-county football, and along with Adrian Spillane when fit they are the type of hard workers every modern team needs in one or two out of thei forward six. Agree it was bizarre withdrawing O'Brien from the starting team in favour of a defender for that game, and reminiscent of the Kerry's management's mistake with Gavin White playing out of position last year. I would agree there was a lack of balance in the forward unit that lined out against Cork, but they definitely have the forwards - the management just got their selection and tactics all wrong in attack (as they did in the other areas of the game too).

I agree about the talent Cork have, and there are more players coming through from their recent minor and u20 successes . Cathal O'Mahony is another serious prospect who might have started yesterday if available. Cork football finally seems to have hit a definite upward curve - not sure how much further it will go in this year's championship but they are well positioned for the next few years.

Ya there’s no doubt that Kerry have talented forwards I think Geaney was a big loss for them on Sunday. I didn’t mean to sound like I was criticising Clifford, he’s hugely talented there is no doubt but some of the fawning over him by the media has been a bit over the top and he had a very poor game on Sunday as he missed relatively easy scoring chances from his point of view.

To be honest I think that Dublin don’t really fear Kerry at the moment or Kerry were as close to Dublin as was made out. I know they brought Dublin to a replay last year and could have won the first day but only for Jonny Cooper getting sent off I think Dublin would have won by 4 or 5 points the first day, they were gaining the upper hand when he was sent off and were 5 points up when he was sent off.

I think Donegal could potentially really challenge Dublin if they come out of Ulster I think they have the players to physically match Dublin and have forwards to cause them trouble, they also have a brilliant goalkeeper with a booming kick out. They also have big men around the middle of the field to compete with Dublin. The only thing is if they have the defenders to keep the Dublin forwards quite without going overly defensive. I think Mayo have the backs to keep Dublin’s forwards quite but I think they might have a slight issue with kick outs as Clarke can sometimes struggle with kick outs.

I think Galway are still a bit off and so too are the like of Armagh and Cork but they are improving and could all win their provinces but I don’t think are really to challenge for All Irelands just yet.

I think Mayo have the backs to keep Dublin’s forwards quite but I think they might have a slight issue with kick outs as Clarke can sometimes struggle with kick outs.

There are a few, but this is Mayo's biggest obstacle. They are a bit light physically with Conor Loftus in midfield, the lack of precision on kickouts could cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya there’s no doubt that Kerry have talented forwards I think Geaney was a big loss for them on Sunday. I didn’t mean to sound like I was criticising Clifford, he’s hugely talented there is no doubt but some of the fawning over him by the media has been a bit over the top and he had a very poor game on Sunday as he missed relatively easy scoring chances from his point of view.

To be honest I think that Dublin don’t really fear Kerry at the moment or Kerry were as close to Dublin as was made out. I know they brought Dublin to a replay last year and could have won the first day but only for Jonny Cooper getting sent off I think Dublin would have won by 4 or 5 points the first day, they were gaining the upper hand when he was sent off and were 5 points up when he was sent off.

I think Donegal could potentially really challenge Dublin if they come out of Ulster I think they have the players to physically match Dublin and have forwards to cause them trouble, they also have a brilliant goalkeeper with a booming kick out. They also have big men around the middle of the field to compete with Dublin. The only thing is if they have the defenders to keep the Dublin forwards quite without going overly defensive. I think Mayo have the backs to keep Dublin’s forwards quite but I think they might have a slight issue with kick outs as Clarke can sometimes struggle with kick outs.

I think Galway are still a bit off and so too are the like of Armagh and Cork but they are improving and could all win their provinces but I don’t think are really to challenge for All Irelands just yet.

I don't know how closely you have been following Mayo this year, but defence is a slight worry. We have all-action defenders - up and down the field, keeping their opposite numbers on the back foot. Will work against most teams, but is a dangerous game against Dublin. Chris Barrett and Keegan did well last Sunday, and they have the experience. Paddy Durkan and Eoin McLaighlin on the half-back line are steady. Paddy playing very well.
    But I'd have a slight concern about Oisin Mullen and Stephen Coen - against the likes of Con O'Callaghan and Paul Mannion. Oisin is a fab footballer, but he is starting to get caught out too many times for a corner back role. It doesn't matter how many times he ventures up the field and how many attacks he sets up, if he continues the saunters up the field, he is going to be known as a loose defender and it's going to get people on his back.
    Stephen Coen is developing into a reliable player, but I don't think he is ready to take on the mantle of marking the Dubs full-forward - usually O'Callaghan.
    And kick-outs are a big problem still, especially against Dublin. If you're a defender, and you have O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, Mannion, Paddy Small within 3 yards of you, you do not want David Clarke kicking a short ball to you, in the slow laborious way he does it. Only option is to bang it out to the half backs,and he doesn't have the technique to [ping it out at an angle properly, so becomes a 50:50. Or not even really, cause the attacker is booming in behind the defender to take ball and man.

I don't know how closely you have been following Mayo this year, but defence is a slight worry. We have all-action defenders - up and down the field, keeping their opposite numbers on the back foot. Will work against most teams, but is a dangerous game against Dublin. Chris Barrett and Keegan did well last Sunday, and they have the experience. Paddy Durkan and Eoin McLaighlin on the half-back line are steady. Paddy playing very well.
    But I'd have a slight concern about Oisin Mullen and Stephen Coen - against the likes of Con O'Callaghan and Paul Mannion. Oisin is a fab footballer, but he is starting to get caught out too many times for a corner back role. It doesn't matter how many times he ventures up the field and how many attacks he sets up, if he continues the saunters up the field, he is going to be known as a loose defender and it's going to get people on his back.
    Stephen Coen is developing into a reliable player, but I don't think he is ready to take on the mantle of marking the Dubs full-forward - usually O'Callaghan.
    And kick-outs are a big problem still, especially against Dublin. If you're a defender, and you have O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, Mannion, Paddy Small within 3 yards of you, you do not want David Clarke kicking a short ball to you, in the slow laborious way he does it. Only option is to bang it out to the half backs,and he doesn't have the technique to [ping it out at an angle properly, so becomes a 50:50. Or not even really, cause the attacker is booming in behind the defender to take ball and man.

I think ye have the best defence to keep their attack relatively quite, but it’s going to be hard job to do to keep them fully quite as if Mannion or O’Callaghan are kept quite, then Rock and Kilkenny might have brilliant games. I think ye might need a bit more protection, whether that’s playing a full time sweeper because the likes of O’Callaghan all he needs is one or two chances and he can do the damage.

I’m not so sure about Donegal’s defence man to man, there defenders like to seem to attack but I don’t know how good they are if they were on the back foot, but the plus for them is that they have a keeper with a brilliant kick out and big men around the middle and the half forward line that are well able to win their own ball. Clarke is a brilliant goalie apart from his kick outs, brilliant shot stopper and safe and secure under the high ball, but his kick outs seem to hang in the air which favourites the attacking team that can get a run on the ball, it definitely doesn’t favour his own team mates at times.

Anyway it’s a great weekend of football to look forward to and it’s going to make the winter that bit shorter if we have anything like the drama we had in the Cork and Kerry game in the coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What is the GAA's obsession with over rewarding teams?

Same happens with the Joe McDonagh in hurling?

It's like trying to be fair to a load of senior infants on sports day.

We all love seeing a weak team progress far in the championship/league. Unfortunately by definition the weak teams rarely if ever manage this. If they regularly got far they wouldn't be weak teams.

So the GAA feel the answer to this is to parachute these weaker teams into the latter stages of the competition and act as if they earned it through merit. This gives people the warm feeling in their stomach that they get from seeing an underdog go on a long championship run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

My lovely Laois play Dublin this weekend. This will be the 35th championship meeting of the sides since the first in 1890 and not one of those has ever been played at a Laois venue. Being stuck in a province with Dublin sucks. The best you can hope for is the other side of the draw and not meet until the Leinster final, then lose and hope for an easier qualifier to get into quarter final/super 8s. We don't even have that hope this year! I wouldn't object if they moved Laois into an 8 team Munster championship in the future.

recyclebin wrote: »
    My lovely Laois play Dublin this weekend. This will be the 35th championship meeting of the sides since the first in 1890 and not one of those has ever been played at a Laois venue. Being stuck in a province with Dublin sucks. The best you can hope for is the other side of the draw and not meet until the Leinster final, then lose and hope for an easier qualifier to get into quarter final/super 8s. We don't even have that hope this year! I wouldn't object if they moved Laois into an 8 team Munster championship in the future.

I think Laois are more suited for 2nd tier championship football when it comes in because thats all they are good for

I think Laois are more suited for 2nd tier championship football when it comes in because thats all they are good for

How come you edited the post after calling them pure muck to still have a pop at a county? Bit odd.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »

Is that right? 35 games and never in Laois?? That's mental tbf.

Advertisement