Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sure they are pure muck. Them Laois lads are a bit sensitive when it comes to football so i didnt want to upset him :D

Dont see the need for having a pop at a county like that but each to their own I spose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ross Munnelly is some man to be still at it.

37 years young & in his 18th championship season.

Fair play to him.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Dont see the need for having a pop at a county like that but each to their own I spose.

Your saying that theres no need to have a pop at a county and this is coming from someone who mentioned a few days ago that he loves seeing Mayo bottle all irelands. I suppose each to there own :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

PTH2009 wrote: »

Been a brilliant servant to Tyrone but probably should have walked away from the job a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Once they were beaten in the AIF in 2018 that should have been it. They were listless that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

PTH2009 wrote: »

Gave great service to the county even through some very dark days. Had a feeling this was coming when they discussed it on the SG.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Gave great service to the county even through some very dark days. Had a feeling this was coming when they discussed it on the SG.

3 All Ireland’s

6 Provincial Titles

1 League

Not bad going...

69/70 at his next birthday so he can retire happy and satisfied, he’s achieved more then 99% of inter-county managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rolo2010 wrote: »

Some going to be there since 2003, prob like a lot of jobs in life it can go stale and sometimes its better to call it a day

No doubt a legend of the game and will always be a hero in Tyrone. I would not be surprised to see him take up an advisor role with another county

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say a lot too would be down to the current health situation... there can’t be much craic to be had, going up and down the country in full buses and working in close proximity to so many individuals...

At that age it’s probably the perfect call for the man and his family...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

recyclebin wrote: »
    My lovely Laois play Dublin this weekend. This will be the 35th championship meeting of the sides since the first in 1890 and not one of those has ever been played at a Laois venue

Ive never understood this, at least in recent years. I think it was 2016 they were drawn together and the game was moved to Kilkenny because apparently O'Moore Park couldnt hold all the Dublin fans. But since then when Dublin have been drawn away to teams other than Laois, the game has been in O'Moore Park. Surely its suitable or its not.

Nowlan Park was used that time because Laois were never drawn as a home team. The likes of Colm Parkinson created and blew up that myth that it was deemed too small and moved when it was never fixed for there in the first place.

Not that it isn’t a bit of a farce that teams aren’t given a proper home game against Dublin but it just wasn’t reality on that occasion.

Your saying that theres no need to have a pop at a county and this is coming from someone who mentioned a few days ago that he loves seeing Mayo bottle all irelands. I suppose each to there own :rolleyes:

Thanks for keeping such a close eye on my posts. Nice to have the followers. If you can't see the difference in what I said and just calling a county pure muck, then I cant help you understand it.

On Mickey Harte, theres probably a bit of fear in him about walking away in that hes been there so long and what would he do next. Tyrone definitely need a new man though, all Ireland 2018 has been mentioned and that was the time to call it imo. Beaten out the gate with a system that's long past its sell by date.

A more attack minded coach could do the world of good considering the talent we are seeing coming through in Tyrone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thanks for keeping such a close eye on my posts. Nice to have the followers. If you can't see the difference in what I said and just calling a county pure muck, then I cant help you understand it.

On Mickey Harte, theres probably a bit of fear in him about walking away in that hes been there so long and what would he do next. Tyrone definitely need a new man though, all Ireland 2018 has been mentioned and that was the time to call it imo. Beaten out the gate with a system that's long past its sell by date.

A more attack minded coach could do the world of good considering the talent we are seeing coming through in Tyrone now.

What All-Irelands have Mayo bottled in the past decade. They've been in a few and came within a whisker of beating Dublin in a couple of them. The same Dublin who bet nearly all around them since 2011. Mayo have developed the creditintal to be the only team on a consistent basis that could dethrone the Dubs, and to a lesser extent Kerry after running them close last year. However, after last weekend, that progress seems to be undone.

What All-Irelands have Mayo bottled in the past decade. They've been in a few and came within a whisker of beating Dublin in a couple of them. The same Dublin who bet nearly all around them since 2011. Mayo have developed the creditintal to be the only team on a consistent basis that could dethrone the Dubs, and to a lesser extent Kerry after running them close last year. However, after last weekend, that progress seems to be undone.

I wouldn't say Kerry's progress has been undone because of one poor performance and loss. But I guess we will have to wait until next year to find out now. If there was a back door this year we wouldnt be saying they are finished but such is life.

I spose I deserve that dig tbf tho. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You get a feeling that Mickey Harte's tenure over the last few years is similar to the end of Wenger's time at Arsenal. A huge amount of success in the bank, but hasn't evolved with the times and the squad needs a fresh voice and prespective on things.

I was disappointed with his sour comments after the Donegal game regarding their handling of McKenna, as his great side played with an edge like no other and thought nothing of crossing the line. But he is an undisputed legend of the sport and no-one deserves a happy retirement more than Mickey given the tragedy that befell him over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ive never understood this, at least in recent years. I think it was 2016 they were drawn together and the game was moved to Kilkenny because apparently O'Moore Park couldnt hold all the Dublin fans. But since then when Dublin have been drawn away to teams other than Laois, the game has been in O'Moore Park. Surely its suitable or its not.

That was an absolute gowl of a decision.

O'Moore Park and Portlaoise in general is much more preferable to KK to get in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

That was an absolute gowl of a decision.

O'Moore Park and Portlaoise in general is much more preferable to KK to get in and out of.

:DMaybe it was but it was great to go somewhere different for the football team.
    The walk back to the car though...:eek:

Sick of O'Moore park at this stage...although what i would give for it to be the start of the summer and complaning about another trip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    :DMaybe it was but it was great to go somewhere different for the football team.
    The walk back to the car though...:eek:

Sick of O'Moore park at this stage...although what i would give for it to be the start of the summer and complaning about another trip there.

I'd prefer to go to Portlaoise than all the way to Dublin for a game we have very little chance of winning. It would be good for local business for the Dubs to spend a bit of money in our county instead of the other way round too. The novelty of Croke Park wears off pretty quickly when you have been going there almost every year for 20 or 30 years.

You get a feeling that Mickey Harte's tenure over the last few years is similar to the end of Wenger's time at Arsenal. A huge amount of success in the bank, but hasn't evolved with the times and the squad needs a fresh voice and prespective on things.

I was disappointed with his sour comments after the Donegal game regarding their handling of McKenna, as his great side played with an edge like no other and thought nothing of crossing the line. But he is an undisputed legend of the sport and no-one deserves a happy retirement more than Mickey given the tragedy that befell him over the years.

I wasn't his biggest fan here either;

Harte then went on to question those people who cite fans who reside in hospitals and homes in defense of their own argument, dryly insinuating that they are simply using that affection to bolster their point.

“I never seen so many people so interested in people in homes and other places around the country that can’t see television. It seems strange that these people suddenly have such a grá for these people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/gaa/thepateam/mickey-harte-sky-sports/%3famp

As for his record as a manager, one of GOATS & owes Tyrone absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say Kerry's progress has been undone because of one poor performance and loss. But I guess we will have to wait until next year to find out now. If there was a back door this year we wouldnt be saying they are finished but such is life.

If my aunty had balls etc. etc.
    Ah I was only messin. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I think it's unfair when the label bottlers is thrown at the Mayo players. I think they are the farthest thing from bottlers. Have shown great heart and determination just falling slightly short at the final hurdle. To me, bottling something would be getting to the final, and then shltting the pants through nerves and fear. That was definitely not the case.

From a quick google, Mayo has the second lowest population density in Ireland (just ahead of Leitrim). I don't really know what that means exactly, but it sounds like some statistic that backs up what I'm trying to say - that they are punching above their weight and doing a good job at it.

By your standards you'd have to admit it was a complete bottle job against Cork !, Kind of like playing against 14 players for most of last year's final against a team playing far from their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If my aunty had balls etc. etc.
    Ah I was only messin. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I think it's unfair when the label bottlers is thrown at the Mayo players. I think they are the farthest thing from bottlers. Have shown great heart and determination just falling slightly short at the final hurdle. To me, bottling something would be getting to the final, and then shltting the pants through nerves and fear. That was definitely not the case.

From a quick google, Mayo has the second lowest population density in Ireland (just ahead of Leitrim). I don't really know what that means exactly, but it sounds like some statistic that backs up what I'm trying to say - that they are punching above their weight and doing a good job at it.

Hang on a sec? Mayo have a medium sized population (17th), only play one sport (including barely any Soccer & Rugby) and have a total of 3 AI's, less than Wexford Cavan etc.

Yes you've been the 3rd or 4th best side over the last decade. It's probably reasonable overachieving at your only sport after decades of underachievement. Are you fishing for outside compliments after the self praise or something?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Hang on a sec? Mayo have a medium sized population (17th), only play one sport (including barely any Soccer & Rugby) and have a total of 3 AI's, less than Wexford Cavan etc.

Yes you've been the 3rd or 4th best side over the last decade. It's probably reasonable overachieving at your only sport after decades of underachievement. Are you fishing for outside compliments after the self praise or something?

Barely any soccer or Rugby ??? Are you sure you got the right county. I'd say from living here soccer is more common. Moreso now that some
    towns and villages have had to amalgamate to make full Gaa squads.

Obviously only the bigger towns have the numbers for multiple sports as it's a very dispersed county.

The population for playing sport 18 - 30 are probably the smallest group in the county. Most of our current squad do not live or work in the county.

By your standards you'd have to admit it was a complete bottle job against Cork !, Kind of like playing against 14 players for most of last year's final against a team playing far from their best.

tenor.gif?itemid=7212093

Similar to losing a qualifier game to Kildare.

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Cool down there Hulk Hands. I know you're temperament is not the best under pressure and you tend to turn a bit green.

But I was obviously only messing. Just picked a random stat from the net.

There is word going around that he's been dropped from the Mayo panel for this, is there any truth to it folks?

https://twitter.com/elvisrockysly/status/1326950139429318656?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

DVDM93 wrote: »
    There is word going around that he's been dropped from the Mayo panel for this, is there any truth to it folks?

https://twitter.com/elvisrockysly/status/1326950139429318656?s=20

Thats such a stupid thing to say how do lads put this crap on the internet for everyone to see. If its not already happening we need to start having a junior cert course on not putting thick crap online for all to see.

The way he started the video I was worried he was actually about to tell a true story about statutory rape

He’s a bit of a gob****e but that joke is as old as the hills and definitely wouldn’t warrant dropping over. Would be fairly harsh.

The singing though? Banned for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He’s a bit of a gob****e but that joke is as old as the hills and definitely wouldn’t warrant dropping over. Would be fairly harsh.

The singing though? Banned for life.

It is an old one but the difference is hes not telling it to his friends done the pub he was thick enough to put it on social media

Advertisement