Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

From RTÉ. Big boots to fill.

Mickey Harte stands down as Tyrone manager after 18 years

Mickey Harte's 18-year spell as manager of the Tyrone senior football team is over, with the three-time All-Ireland winner confirming he has stood down.

Uncertainty surrounded the future of the longest-serving manager in Gaelic football this week after the county's Ulster SFC exit at hands of great rivals Donegal.

Having come to the end of a three-year term following his reappointment in 2017, Harte had little to say about his future following their early championship exit to Donegal recently. "I haven't considered anything about that just right now," he said.

Harte transformed Tyrone into one of the powerhouses of Gaelic football, leading them to their first All-Ireland title in 2003, followed by two more in 2005 and 2008
    That 08 final v Kerry will always live in my memory. I was supporting the Ulster county ( of course) and was in the Hogan among loads of Kerry fans. The craic out of them was great , and for all the world, it looked like Kerry were going to win as though close, Kerry were getting on top. Then came a seismic change , when the Tyrone goalie made a great save and Tyrone scored a point from the Cusack side ( Dooher I think ) and the game changed and the Kerry fans!. A brilliant game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

C__MC wrote: »
    We dont know much about this donegal team in my own opinion against the big boys
    They looked very timid last year in defeat to mayo and Tyrone in 18 when it was knockout

18 was 2 years ago and Donegal have improved since then. Dublin has regressed slightly under Farrell and they haven't had a serious challenge yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Impressive stuff from Donegal there. Mogan and Langan have been great finds for Donegal, both excellent today. The inevitable AI semi v Dublin will be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    18 was 2 years ago and Donegal have improved since then. Dublin has regressed slightly under Farrell and they haven't had a serious challenge yet.

Really how can you say that?
    They finished 2nd in the league higher then jim gavin last year
    But donegal will test them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Donegal are a powerful team who will quietly fancy going all the way. They have quality all over the field. They will be far too strong for the winners of Down and Cavan and will trouble any team thereafter.

• Advertisement

Really how can you say that?
    They finished 2nd in the league higher then jim gavin last year
    But donegal will test them

Because they have. Dublin should have put bigger score on Westmeath who were poor. They looked sloopy at times. Mayo were relegated to Div 2 but are still one of the best teams in the country so you can't read too much it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The gap between established top 5 team in Donegal and Armagh who haven't played division 1 football for 8 years is clear to see today. Donegal have improved from last year but Dublin I feel will have to regress for them to topple them in the likely All Ireland semi final in a few weeks and its possible as Dublin have no fans and no Jim Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

We dont know much about this donegal team in my own opinion against the big boys
    They looked very timid last year in defeat to mayo and Tyrone in 18 when it was knockout
    You talked up Armagh a few weeks ago giving the view they were better than Monaghan, Cavan and would give Donegal a good battle.

We know plenty about Donegal an established division 1 team and have already taken out one of the strongest teams in Tyrone and will be there or thereabouts in the All Ireland series as they are improved from last two years and I put a lot of that improvement down to the work of Stephen Rochford in the management team, a shrewd appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Donegal looked good today. To beat Tyrone and then not be complacent against armagh was impressive. They could beat dublin. To be honest any team is beatable on a soggy heavy pitch this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

You talked up Armagh a few weeks ago giving the view they were better than Monaghan, Cavan and would give Donegal a good battle.

We know plenty about Donegal an established division 1 team and have already taken out one of the strongest teams in Tyrone and will be there or thereabouts in the All Ireland series as they are improved from last two years and I put a lot of that improvement down to the work of Stephen Rochford in the management team, a shrewd appointment.

I must admit I was wrong on armagh, very tame exit today expected alot better tbh.

Donegal are a fine team but they have been disappointing in make or break games in recent times, we are asking them to beat the greatest team of all time. I give them an outside chance but that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I must admit I was wrong on armagh, very tame exit today expected alot better tbh.

Donegal are a fine team but they have been disappointing in make or break games in recent times, we are asking them to beat the greatest team of all time. I give them an outside chance but that is all.

A real setback for any notions of an Armagh revival,I'd have expected a lot more from them based on last year's championship but perhaps their second half capitulation at the hands of Roscommon was a better form guide.

Some serious talent in the squad,if they can survive their first year back in division 1.

Donegal are a very good side,improving year on year.They'd have certainly been disappointed with their overall performance in last year's super 8s.The team most likely to beat Dublin this championship even if same is highly improbable.

They beat their biggest rivals in Ulster in a make or break game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Agree that Donegal have improved again on 2019 and they have more depth this year. It has been said in the last few years for Donegal to play well than MM and RMcH had to play well. No longer the case. 13 scorers today and more match winners in their ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

henke wrote: »
    Agree that Donegal have improved again on 2019 and they have more depth this year. It has been said in the last few years for Donegal to play well than MM and RMcH had to play well. No longer the case. 13 scorers today and more match winners in their ranks.

Fairly good bench with Gallen, McBrearty, Jason McGee, McClean great options on the bench. Probably McBrearty will start if fully fit, but could be a great bench option for Donegal against the likes of Dublin like he was in 2014.

Could be worrying for them if McMenamin is out injured probably their best man maker, done a very good man marking job on Clifford last year, so they will hope that his injury isn’t too serious and also that McGrath can come back from injury which would further strengthen their bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

Donegal look really good,Patton gives them options in almost any situation,he is their most important player.
    Rochford is making his mark now aswell,the best in the business in my opinion at creating individual game plans for different opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

HBC08 wrote: »
    Donegal look really good,Patton gives them options in almost any situation,he is their most important player.
    Rochford is making his mark now aswell,the best in the business in my opinion at creating individual game plans for different opposition.

Oft said if we could only clone James Horan and Stephen Rochford...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus, if it's a Mayo and Donegal final... And Donegal win... Poor Stephen won't be able to dander home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are the football games apart from Mayo-Galway on tv anywhere?

Leinster semi finals on RTÉ News Now and the other Ulster semi final on BBC2 NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

rte news now.. meath v kildare 1.55 dublin v laois 3.25. wonder why they are on rte news now? not HD for me on sky tv :(

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Mayo Galway on RTE2. Meath Kildare and Dublin Laois on RTE News now. I cant see Down Cavan so maybe Eir? I dont have it.

BBC 2. I see Mickey Harte will be on punditry duties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

BBC 2. I see Mickey Harte will be on punditry duties too.

Yeah deleted my post after seeing the correct info in yours, ty. BBC2 was showing tennis for me at that time but that's on the HD channel. On the regular channel they have the football but it's a way down the listings. Bit strange but happy to have it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah deleted my post after seeing the correct info in yours, ty. BBC2 was showing tennis for me at that time but that's on the HD channel. On the regular channel they have the football but it's a way down the listings. Bit strange but happy to have it.

I was hoping to see Meath and Kildare until I seen it was on News Now which is like smearing cooking oil on your glasses, so I’ll stick why the Ulster one. There should be a HD version of the NI region somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

I was hoping to see Meath and Kildare until I seen it was on News Now which is like smearing cooking oil on your glasses, so I’ll stick why the Ulster one. There should be a HD version of the NI region somewhere.

There has been better streams in the club championship that the terrible quality of News Now.

Wonder why so many of the games are kicking off so early? Guess light is a factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I'm just after reading Roy Curtis' piece about Paddy Durcan there in the Sunday World (got it for free wouldn't buy it). Now i know Durcan is a very good footballer but after finishing the article you could be mistaken for thinking Durcan was a mix of Jack O Shea, Jack McCaffrey, James McCarthy, Tomas O Se and any of the other greats of the game you can think of. Curtis has been prone to some hyperbole in the past (possibly everything he writes) but this one is so far over the top it's bordering on the ridiculous. And if that wasn't bad enough i see David Brady is up next. If nothing else he's always good for a laugh anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo subs - Hennelly, Plunkett, Brickenden,Higgins, Parsons, O'Hora, Flynn, O'Donohue,Walsh,McDonagh,Coen

Galway subs - Gleeson,Bradshaw,Steede,O'Curraoin, Finnerty,Leonard,Costello, O'Donnell
    Sice,C.Sweeney,Molloy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wonder why so many of the games are kicking off so early? Guess light is a factor...
    Firstly no games are kicking off, but instead all of them are throwing in.

And yes, it's the light, or lack of it.

Reminds me of the old split league season that would run up to December and then conclude in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you were reading RTÉ Sports News you wouldn’t know that there was an Ulster Football Semi-final on today at all.
    Some shower they are.

• Advertisement

Firstly no games are kicking off, but instead all of them are throwing in.

this-is-the-type-of-arrant-pedantry-up-with-which-i-will-not-put-6e2f062ed60ef8d5d8003e8d9c01e507.jpg

Advertisement