Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Took longer than I expected for this game to be over. Expected Dublin to have it tied up before the water break instead of just after. They're just so good to watch at breaking a team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I love how Ger Canning says Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Laois are a pretty stupid team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So going forwards:

1. Connacht Champ (Mayo) v Munster Champ (Winner of Cork v Tipp)
    2. Leinster Champ (Winner of Meath v Dublin) v Ulster Champ (Winner of Donegal v Cavan)

3. Winner 1 v Winner 2 (All Ireland Football Final)

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I love how Ger Canning says Dublin

Dablin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good win. Dirty conditions. We have lots to improve.
    Great tactical foul at the end. We should have done that many times in other years.

Good to win Connacht after relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Laois just playing to keep it respectable
    Some win for cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Congrats to Mayo first Connacht title in 5 years. Galway improved a lot 2nd half have will be kicking themselves to not at least bring that game to extra time. 2nd year in a row that that a team got relegated from Division 1 and went on to win Connacht.

A fine comeback win for Cavan to reach back to back Ulster finals for the first time since the 60s.

Meath are in some goalscoring form, 12 alone in the last two games.

Meath are in some goalscoring form, 12 alone in the last two games.

Aye Meath looked pretty much dead and buried at halftime, but came flying out of the blocks and overturned the fairly hefty deficit in just a few minutes. Looking like Meath v Dublin in the Leinster Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So ultimately that Higgins lying on Galway forward free in not given was the difference.

Thought referee was very poor throughout. Miles behind the standard of Gough the previous week.

Counter argument to that is the yellow for Durcan in the first half, clearly shoulder to shoulder, that cancels out the Higgins free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Galway only have themselves to blame for losing. The cynical foul at the end isn't great to see but it was the right thing for him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What time are the football finals next weekend? Is there one on Saturday?

With the amount of football on today, one of the games really should have been moved to yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Twelve goals in two games in winter football is some scoring from Meath. I know a lot of them came from defensive mishaps both days, but you still have to capitalise on the chance.

I'd say many an All Ireland was won scoring less goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cavan_King wrote: »
    What time are the football finals next weekend? Is there one on Saturday?

With the amount of football on today, one of the games really should have been moved to yesterday evening.

Saturday night for LF anyway, just mentioned now in commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

cavan making a ulster final,mean ni tier 2 next year

Current bookies odds after today's games and an assumed Dublin win given the huge lead they have over Laois:

Dublin 4/6
    Mayo 7/2
    Donegal 4/1
    Cork 11/1
    Meath 50/1
    Tipperary 100/1
    Cavan 150/1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why is that game played in croker out of interest?

Not even a training session for Dublin.

yop wrote: »
    Why is that game played in croker out of interest?

Not even a training session for Dublin.

Facilities I’d imagine.

Mayo 8/11
    Galway evens

I'll play it safe and back Galway +1 just in case it ends a draw. Come back to me next week after full time and we'll see who's out of their mind.

Still out of your mind..... Sorry had to pull this one 😅😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Ulster Council have stupidly set the Ulster Final for the Athletic Grounds in Armagh and it was a mud bath today.

• Advertisement

Facilities I’d imagine.

Why facilities?
    Parnell park was used yesterday for the ladies. Maybe the pitch cut up. But the cost of opening croker for a non match.
    Was just curious anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

A superb foul at the door for Mayo. Every supporter would expect a player from their team to do it. Now can we stop going on about 2017😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

yop wrote: »
    Still out of your mind..... Sorry had to pull this one 😅ðŸ˜

Fair play lad :). But to be fair it's taken a little out of context. You said i was out of my mind to even predict a Galway win like as if they had little or no chance. I always thought it was 50/50 and it pretty much was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

ArielAtom wrote: »
    A superb foul at the door for Mayo. Every supporter would expect a player from their team to do it. Now can we stop going on about 2017😉

Exactly! All these things even themselves out!

Facilities I’d imagine.

More so the fact it's a Leinster semi final surely? All the football and hurling semis have always been played in croker havent they?

Fair play lad :). But to be fair it's taken a little out of context. You said i was out of my mind to even predict a Galway win like as if they had little or no chance. I always thought it was 50/50 and it pretty much was.

Was only been a smart ass. Games are hard to call. I found it nigh impossible to call today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

In fairness you were correct. Much closer than I had anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I don’t know who assigns the referees for Cavan games. If they don’t give us a Meath man, they give us a Monaghan one! And a Monaghan one reffing his first intercounty game at that!

He caused a six point swing first half. Down’s goal was from a ‘mark’ that wasn’t as it didn’t go beyond the 45. I wouldn’t mind but the linesman was right beside it. That’s two officials that should know a basic rule.

Then he allows advantage for the Down goal but when Marty Reilly gets around two men and is about to shoot he calls it back.

Still, we got the correct result in the end.

How would you have felt about the officiating if Cavan had lost by a point or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

While the knockout element of the football championship has made it very exciting and results like the Cork one v Kerry have been brilliant, I'd still prefer to have the back door or super-eights.
    We are at provincial final stage in 3 of the provinces now and when the championship should be coming to a crescendo, it really looks like that with 2 of the top 4 gone already, there is probably only 1 big clash of significance in terms of winning the All-Ireland remaining.

Compare to the hurling championship where you have the top 6 teams in the country left in the championship and 5 mouth-watering games to come.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    While the knockout element of the football championship has made it very exciting and results like the Cork one v Kerry have been brilliant, I'd still prefer to have the back door or super-eights.
    We are at provincial final stage in 3 of the provinces now and when the championship should be coming to a crescendo, it really looks like that with 2 of the top 4 gone already, there is probably only 1 big clash of significance in terms of winning the All-Ireland remaining.

Compare to the hurling championship where you have the top 6 teams in the country left in the championship and 5 mouth-watering games to come.

As a Kerry man, I'm obviously gutted they're gone but I think it makes a case for the return to knockout. That win for Cork actually meant something. I saw a comment elsewhere, not only did they beat Kerry, they knocked them out of the championship. That's massive when you think about it. We have seen back doors let a team build up a bit of momentum and come back to haunt a team later in the year. For me, the football is more exciting this year because of it whereas last year, a loss even in the poxy super 8s didnt spell disaster.

All that, along with the main point is that it frees up loads of time for the club game instead of a long drawn out county season which will be far more positive in the long run imo.

Advertisement