Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Posters are given a gentle reminder that topics such as any discussion re Dublin GAA advantage should NOT be posted in this thread but rather the stickied thread below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890333

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    I dont know why you even bother. He has made 2 posts and used the term moronic in both of them. Shows the lack of a coherent argument. Not someone to be taken seriously clearly

You're right. In my defence, I wasn't really taking him seriously. I just like using "5/7" where possible.

www.knowyourmeme.com/memes/fight-club-57-movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

thelad95 wrote: »
    Croke Park has not just the best playing surface in Ireland but is probably one of the best in Europe.

There's absolutely zero rationale in moving knockout games away from Croke Park apart from some rubbish about taking away home advantage from Dublin.

Clare v Wexford at the weekend was a mud bath on a poor pitch in Portlaoise. An All Ireland finalist or semi finalist really wouldn't be deserving of such an awful surface.

There is plenty of good playing surfaces across Ireland and the O’Moore Park is far from a mud bath.

Trampas wrote: »
    I’m to lazy to look up but why was Connaught final last weekend compared to others. They get an extra week rest compared to other counties

John Prentys rushed off format. Was time enough to play the Connacht final this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

That's such a poor strawman attempt.

5/7

poster said playing surface should dictate where games are being played, disregarding any advantage that gives to any one team, i used a comparison to point out how ridiculous that was.

if you agree that quality of pitch should dictate where games are played you should defend that ridiculous position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,954 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is plenty of good playing surfaces across Ireland and the O’Moore Park is far from a mud bath.

And current weather is far from the worst I have seen GAA played in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭billyhead

County teams want to play in Croker irrespective of the argument of favouritism. As a child every GAA player dreamt of representing their county their.

gourcuff wrote: »
    poster said playing surface should dictate where games are being played, disregarding any advantage that gives to any one team, i used a comparison to point out how ridiculous that was.

if you agree that quality of pitch should dictate where games are played you should defend that ridiculous position.

I'm assuming today's adjective is "ridiculous"?

Good stuff.

There's nothing "ridiculous" or even "moronic" for wanting the principal games of the GAA Championships to be played in the best stadium with the best facilities with the best pitch in winter.

Now I'm sure you think taking Dublin down to Birr or Tuam will "put it up them" but I'm also sure that Donegal, Meath, Cavan, Mayo and Tipperary might not fancy a windswept mudbath in December in pursuit of Sam.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the AISFs and AIF will be played in Croker. So you're best moving on.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    And current weather is far from the worst I have seen GAA played in
    Certainly, for example I have seen Connacht finals played in far worse weather conditions in the middle of the summer than last Sunday in Salthill.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

Whoever wins it really will have the softest run to an AI as there ever has.

Dublins only threat is Donegal.

If Mayo win it then their only serious outfit they met is Galway and that's at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

If Mayo win it then their only serious outfit they met is Galway and that's at a push.

Cork might have something to say about that on Mayo's side.

Their performance V Kerry would beat both Connacht finalists if Sunday is anything to go by, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sure if mayo win it they will have to go through either Dublin or Donegal. I'd consider either of those better than Galway tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

DVDM93 wrote: »

Their performance V Kerry woulf beat both Connacht finalists if Sunday is anything to go by, imo.

As well as cork played and fully deserved the win, let's not pretend there wasnt a massive implosion from Kerry. Cork could well win the Munster final (a game I actually think is 50/50) but they wouldn't cause Mayo any problems unless they had a similar meltdown to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Their performance V Kerry would beat both Connacht finalists if Sunday is anything to go by, imo.

You must be joking?! :eek:

Cork spent the last minute or two of that game at nothing. Two players had a chance to draw it up yet they both refused to take a shot. Then Connolly took a woeful shot. Luck played a big part in beating Kerry that day and Kerry were terrible. They're a good team but they are not world beaters and have been overblown. Mayo will be strong favourites and rightly so, they should put Cork or Tipp away altho they won't hammer them or anything.

I think it's more than fair to say if Mayo play like they did Sunday just gone Cork are in with a shout.

If Mayo play to their full potential then they will beat Cork comfortably no matter how good Cork are on the day.

However, again, if they play like they did on Sunday then it's not as straight forward as that for me.

They caught Kerry on the hop when Kerry were sh1te, so why is it wrong to say that if Mayo play sh1te again that Cork could beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

I think it's more than fair to say if Mayo play like they did Sunday just gone Cork are in with a shout.

If Mayo play to their full potential then they will beat Cork comfortably no matter how good Cork are on the day.

However, again, if they play like they did on Sunday then it's not as straight forward as that for me.

They caught Kerry on the hope when Kerry were sh1te, so why is it wrong to say that if Mayo play sh1te again that Cork could beat them.

If Mayo play like sh1te then yes Cork or Tipp could beat them. But Mayo didn't play like that at the weekend. They made some mistakes and their shooting boots went missing a bit but overall they were good and fully deserved their win. Their defence is very good and their powerful runners from deep will really hurt Cork. I don't think Cork's forwards will be able to score enough and Mayo's half backs and forwards will overwhelm Cork.

Cork can win, but it's reliant on Mayo being poor. And if they played like Sunday they would still beat Cork imo. Cork were decent in the game vs Kerry but they aren't top level imo.

Perhaps I'm selling Mayo a little short & giving Cork a little bit too much credit.

I suppose I feel Mayo should have put Galway away on Sunday & yet could very well have lost it if Eoghan McLaughlin wasn't smart enough to take one for the team like he did.

Then again form tends not to matter in Galway-Mayo fixtures so maybe I'm reading in to it too much.

They might get away with it again V Cork but if they're to put it up to Dublin or on the off chance Donegal they'll be hoping to kick on another year or two to be in with a chance I think.

Right now I'm not convinced but it wouldn't be unlike Mayo to be in a final where they put in a good performance in a year where they haven't been at their very best leading up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Cork v Kerry and Mayo v Galway was two poor quality error ridden matches. While Mayo and Cork deserved their wins neither can class their performances as good.

Really starting to hope it's a Cork v Mayo semi final and Cork throttle them the way people are talking on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Really starting to hope it's a Cork v Mayo semi final and Cork throttle them the way people are talking on here

Won't happen. Will be too easy for Mayo.
    Mayo have played in patches in last 2 matches. And still won. They had Roscommon and Galway out of sight in no time. And then poor shooting, giving away possession etc. allowed them somewhat back into the game (slighty so in the case of Roscommon).
    But the point is the way Mayo are playing, they have the potential to give Cork or Tipperary a decent beating. That's if they play a very good 50 or 60 minutes.
    Of course it could go the other way too, and continue the trend of the Roscommon and Galway game. But I'd be confident that it won't.
    I just feel Mayo have a very good game in them, if things click reasonably well for them on the day. I don't see the same for Tipperary or Cork.

• Advertisement

Won't happen. Will be too easy for Mayo.
    Mayo have played in patches in last 2 matches. And still won. They had Roscommon and Galway out of sight in no time. And then poor shooting, giving away possession etc. allowed them somewhat back into the game (slighty so in the case of Roscommon).
    But the point is the way Mayo are playing, they have the potential to give Cork or Tipperary a decent beating. That's if they play a very good 50 or 60 minutes.
    Of course it could go the other way too, and continue the trend of the Roscommon and Galway game. But I'd be confident that it won't.
    I just feel Mayo have a very good game in them, if things click reasonably well for them on the day. I don't see the same for Tipperary or Cork.

I know they caught them cold but you really have no fear of the team that took Kerry the 2nd favorites for the AI out of it. That's especially confident given its Mayo we are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

I'm assuming today's adjective is "ridiculous"?

Good stuff.

There's nothing "ridiculous" or even "moronic" for wanting the principal games of the GAA Championships to be played in the best stadium with the best facilities with the best pitch in winter.

Now I'm sure you think taking Dublin down to Birr or Tuam will "put it up them" but I'm also sure that Donegal, Meath, Cavan, Mayo and Tipperary might not fancy a windswept mudbath in December in pursuit of Sam.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the AISFs and AIF will be played in Croker. So you're best moving on.

County who play every game at home want to continue playing every game at home - shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What he think of colin or riordain back for tipp, will it be a boost or hinder them. I reckon off the bench would lift them if things arent going well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I know they caught them cold but you really have no fear of the team that took Kerry the 2nd favorites for the AI out of it. That's especially confident given its Mayo we are talking about

If kerry had played like that against someone else before playing Cork, they would not be 2nd favorites.
    They were poor - but so were Cork. It was a poor, defensive game - not a great measure of either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would have no fear of the team that even a point down in injury time could do nothing but pass the ball backwards. I laughed hard when the goal went in but I would probably have laughed even harder if Cork had kept possession right up to the final whistle and lost the game. Good job for them that Luke Connolly had a bit of balls to try a shot.

Mark Keane had barely touched the ball since he came on but got on the end of a hit and hope to snatch a winner. Fair enough, thats football, but I wouldn't exactly call it a recipe for success.

timmyntc wrote: »
    If kerry had played like that against someone else before playing Cork, they would not be 2nd favorites.
    They were poor - but so were Cork. It was a poor, defensive game - not a great measure of either side.

Ya but the Connacht final was nothing special either and won by steam just got relegated. Not saying Mayo wouldn't be favorites but iss this easiest final run ever stuff is way over the top. People on here thinking Mayo of all teams are a sure bet for a final

Ah, nothing is completely guaranteed. That's always going to be the case.
    But if it were Kerry, I'd have the fear.
    But not Cork or Tipperary.
    Mayo could have a bad day and that's the end of the road for us. Not the end of the world. But I cannot see it happening.

gourcuff wrote: »
    County who play every game at home want to continue playing every game at home - shocker

That's an awfully bitter post.

Just go and enjoy the rest of the football championship.

You're not gonna get anywhere with your "Dubs are getting it all their own way" schtick in here. Hackneyed, moronic and ridiculous as it is. .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ya but the Connacht final was nothing special either and won by steam just got relegated. Not saying Mayo wouldn't be favorites but iss this easiest final run ever stuff is way over the top. People on here thinking Mayo of all teams are a sure bet for a final

We've a quite a decent record in semi finals.

You'd be on stronger ground if you were referencing our final record.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    We've a quite a decent record in semi finals.

You'd be on stronger ground if you were referencing our final record.

Oh Jesus, don't go there yet. Let us enjoy our semi-final day out first.
    If we get to the final, let the woodlice resurface, proclaiming about bottlers, chokers etc.

Advertisement