Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Kerry have 81

And cork 37, they’ve always been very competitive until the recent past.

I’m just making the point that Dublin have always dominated Leinster save for a few periods when Meath, Offaly and others come forward with teams. It’s not a new thing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Correct. Kerry have been incredibly dominant in Munster.

The other 5 counties in Munster focus on hurling. Limerick's football stronghold only has 3 decent club (Abbeyfeale, Adare, and Newcastle West).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Meath doing what they do best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Meath joint captains? Whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Meath football never recovered after the debacle of 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Complete farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    The other 5 counties in Munster focus on hurling. Limerick's football stronghold only has 3 decent club (Abbeyfeale, Adare, and Newcastle West).

Correct. That's part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Gas. That will have no support and no money and last as long as a Wicklow championship run.

I think it's foolish to dismiss it outright. If the league of Ireland is viable (barely) then surely it's at least in the realms of possibility that a Gaelic football league could succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

John Small would start a fight in an empty room :D

C__MC wrote: »
    Meath football never recovered after the debacle of 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Pure cat, the Jack's are making fools of the meath men, blow it up ref,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

I think it's foolish to dismiss it outright. If the league of Ireland is viable (barely) then surely it's at least in the realms of possibility that a Gaelic football league could succeed.

Where would they play. It would cost 20 million to put one half decent stadium in place

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I imagine there is the odd Dublin fan who looks back wistfully at the 2005-2010 era and is bored senseless by the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And cork 37, they’ve always been very competitive until the recent past.

I’m just making the point that Dublin have always dominated Leinster save for a few periods when Meath, Offaly and others come forward with teams. It’s not a new thing at all

It's a new thing for the permanent whiners.

We have the same conversation every year. It would be nice of the GAA helped the lesser counties.

What are Tyrone, Donegal and Mayo doing that Meath and Kildare are incapable of?

The match was well won at half time but Dublin have not been great so far in the second half at all. Plenty to work on for the Donegal clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

threeball wrote: »
    Where would they play. It would cost 20 million to put one half decent stadium in place

That's the main obstacle. Unless they could do deals with soccer clubs and come up with an 11 a side game or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

threeball wrote: »
    I'll give you 11 definite starters. Add in 4 more plus 5 subs equally as good.

Beggan or Patton
    McManus
    M Murphy
    Shane Walsh
    AOS
    Clifford
    Sean Kelly
    Sean O Shea
    Durkan
    Keegan
    Ryan Mchugh

Dublin are good but don't have that level of quality across all positions.

Patton
    Kelly
    McGee
    McNamee
    McHugh
    Keegan
    Durcan
    McInerney
    Feely
    S.Walsh
    Murphy
    O'Shea
    Clifford
    AOS
    McManus

And that's just off the top of my head.

It's a new thing for the permanent whiners.

We have the same conversation every year. It would be nice of the GAA helped the lesser counties.

What are Tyrone, Donegal and Mayo doing that Meath and Kildare are incapable of?

It's not a new thing at all. The same debate was happening when counties dominated a competition.

I imagine there is the odd Dublin fan who looks back wistfully at the 2005-2010 era and is bored senseless by the last few years.

You'd be very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you're a Dub who grew up in the dark days of the 80s-90s then Dublin bating Meath out the gate never gets old :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just look at what you wrote for feck sake. What absolute guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

The most commendable thing here from Meath is that they havent started just throwing in digs. Has to be difficult playing with the result long done. Plenty other teams would have got nasty by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If Donegal come within 6 points it will be an upset.

When did Dublin last loose a match in the championship?

2014 against Donegal.

Mannion might need a haircut but his finishing is as good as ever.

It really isn't "foolish".

It's such a daft suggestion that dismissing it out of hand is the sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

That's the main obstacle. Unless they could do deals with soccer clubs and come up with an 11 a side game or something.

There would also be an issue of a lot of the best players not signing up so you get a diluted 11 a side version that has no appeal.
    If professionalism ever takes hold it will be from outside the country, no within. It would have to get significant interest in the UK, US, China or somewhere like that.

Mannion might need a haircut but his finishing is as good as ever.
    The wife just said the same here.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The wife just said the same here.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Mad stat. Brian Fenton has never lost a championship game for Dublin and has played in every single one since 2015 afaik. Heard a "debate" during the week about him being the GOAT midfielder. What a stupid debate.

Advertisement