Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Meath hurlers are now more competitive than their footballers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Deserved black.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I felt Costelloe should have offloaded that before the foul as a goal was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Does anyone else know of another sport where a professional team is allowed to play against amateurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It's a new thing for the permanent whiners.

We have the same conversation every year. It would be nice of the GAA helped the lesser counties.

What are Tyrone, Donegal and Mayo doing that Meath and Kildare are incapable of?

I don’t know what is gone wrong in Kildare and Meath. They are beaten before they take the field v Dublin at this stage. In fairness it must be hard to build when you know you are going to get crushed every year by Dublin, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy after a while.

They are competitive at underage but they’ll lose lads before they hit senior the way things are going. None of this is Dublins fault of course, I don’t know what the answer is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

threeball wrote: »
    I'll give you 11 definite starters. Add in 4 more plus 5 subs equally as good.

Beggan or Patton
    McManus
    M Murphy
    Shane Walsh
    AOS
    Clifford
    Sean Kelly
    Sean O Shea
    Durkan
    Keegan
    Ryan Mchugh

Dublin are good but don't have that level of quality across all positions.

O Shea and Keegan would be long dropped from that Dublin team for sub standard performances the last few years.

Beggan is not displacing Cluxton

Lots others on the list have been inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

Enquiring wrote: »
    Does anyone else know of another sport where a professional team is allowed to play against amateurs?

Rugby and the results are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

There would also be an issue of a lot of the best players not signing up so you get a diluted 11 a side version that has no appeal.
    If professionalism ever takes hold it will be from outside the country, no within. It would have to get significant interest in the UK, US, China or somewhere like that.

I dunno, I reckon there's potential here to get something going. Maybe some eccentric billionaire will give a whirl :)

"Diluted" versions of games have become immensely popular lately. Just look at 20/20 cricket or snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Enquiring wrote: »

Harlem Globetrotters? This is like their exhibition games!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

yop wrote: »
    Meath hurlers are now more competitive than their footballers?

Hurlers beaten today also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

One of the big issues with other Leinster teams is keeping younger players interested. Dublin have only won 4 Leinster minor titles this decade. Meath beat Dublin by 10 in the minor championship a few years ago. By the time the same teams met at U21, Dublin completely reversed the scoreline.
    There's no incentive for younger players (and I include financial in that) outside Dublin to put the time in once they hit college and beyond. With Dublin, you've got guaranteed silverware along with massive financial incentives through advertising if they become a mainstay in the team.

If Dublin were in any other province, the same issue would rear its head in 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

O Shea and Keegan would be long dropped from that Dublin team for sub standard performances the last few years.

Beggan is not displacing Cluxton

Lots others on the list have been inconsistent

This is a team to play dublin, not one we're trying to fit dubs in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

533699.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'll give you 11 definite starters. Add in 4 more plus 5 subs equally as good.

Beggan or Patton
    McManus
    M Murphy
    Shane Walsh
    AOS
    Clifford
    Sean Kelly
    Sean O Shea
    Durkan
    Keegan
    Ryan Mchugh

Dublin are good but don't have that level of quality across all positions.

I don’t believe those would beat Dublin the way they played that first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    Mad stat. Brian Fenton has never lost a championship game for Dublin and has played in every single one since 2015 afaik. Heard a "debate" during the week about him being the GOAT midfielder. What a stupid debate.

Cos there's no debate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Dublin with foot off the gas now. Afraid of winning by too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This is was a team to play dublin, not one we're trying to fit dubs in to.

Ah.

So that team is to play Dublin today on current form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Find it hard to believe there is Dubs fans out there that take any enjoyment out of this. A bloody great team no doubt, but about as uncompetitive a sport there is. 10 Leinsters on the trot, 1 championship loss since 2014. Everything set up in their favour.. game has been completely ruined. I grew up a mad Gaelic fan but I didn’t even bother watching the game tonight. Give me the competitive games of the 00s and 90s over the ****e anyday.

What happened to Costelloe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cos there's no debate? :)

Obviously.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What happened to Costelloe

He got sent off

Obviously.

That's the spirit

He got sent off

For what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

In the blink of an eye we see Costelloe get a straight red that may see him gone for the next game (and final) and and Bugler pulling up with what looked a hamstring injury. A bit of a sour end on an otherwise fantastic night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Would that rule Costello out of the All Ireland final?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    For what.

I dunno. I'm just watching on telly. Ref will have to tell us that.

It could depending on what occurred. Fully expect Dublin GAA to appeal.

Verbals apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Dubs will find a way around that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Costello was sent off for a verbal incident but the we don't know what was said.

Advertisement