Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

No more than how many Kerry have sometimes had to win to win All Ireland's. Wanna stick asterisks beside them as well while you're at it?

Galway won't win the All Ireland. You can keep your asterisk in your back pocket.

No because Kerry have to win two matches for Munster and that is just way that has always been unfortunately. A one match provincial championship is new territory. Nothing against Galway I hope they don't either and don't think there good enough to go all the way. I take your point on Kerry and they get easier routes to the AI final but I don't recall them playing one single match to win a provincial title. Of course it is not Galway's fault they find themselves in the position.

Tomas O'Se made the point today that raises the question of the integrity of the competition and I can see his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

henke wrote: »
    No because Kerry have to win two matches for Munster and that is just way that has always been unfortunately. A one match provincial championship is new territory. Nothing against Galway I hope they don't either and don't think there good enough to go all the way. I take your point on Kerry and they get easier routes to the AI final but I don't recall them playing one single match to win a provincial title. Of course it is not Galway's fault they find themselves in the position.

They did play one match to win the Munster championship once back in the late 70’s I think. They had given Clare an unmerciful hammering the year before and the Munster Council decided to give them a bye to avoid a repeat.

This once off occurrence often gets trotted out to discredit anything Kerry ever won before or after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

It is disappointing that Sligo has to withdraw which means if Galway win 3 matches they win Sam. That is the same amount of matches that takes place in last years Super 8s series. Cavan would need to win 4 championship matches to win Ulster, one more than Galway need to win Sam. I get the whole thing with provincials has always been lopsided but a team withdrawing from one of the smaller provinces makes it worse. If Galway win their one match in the Connacht championship would there be an asterisk beside that title win.

Galway won't win Sam, that'll be Dublin or Kerry.

Galway would have beaten Sligo.

I get what you're saying but I think you're going to be one of very few who'll want an asterisk beside Galway's Connacht title should they win it.

I'd be more inclined to entertain the notion if it was Mayo or Roscommon withdrawing, but it's Sligo, no disrespect intended.

Galway will have to beat the winners of Mayo V Roscommon & that's usually the way things go in Connacht. 2/3 of those teams draw one another before the final & the remaining team end up face the winner in the final.

You can be sure Galway will have preferred to play New York & Sligo before raging Mayo/Roscommon in a Connacht final.

They'll be going in cold where as Mayo will be going in to it with two championship games played albeit Leitrim was a handy one but Roscommon shouldn't be. Roscommon will have a tough championship game against Mayo under their belt should they win.

If anything it's a disadvantage but each to their own opinion & I respect & understand yours & see where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It is disappointing that Sligo has to withdraw which means if Galway win 3 matches they win Sam. That is the same amount of matches that takes place in last years Super 8s series. Cavan would need to win 4 championship matches to win Ulster, one more than Galway need to win Sam. I get the whole thing with provincials has always been lopsided but a team withdrawing from one of the smaller provinces makes it worse. If Galway win their one match in the Connacht championship would there be an asterisk beside that title win.

Sligo withdrawing does not effect the championship too much in real terms, Connacht still very competitive, with 3 strong teams in it.
    I'd argue, after the Donegal/Tyrone game last week, it's the only championship realistically alive.
    Big advantage though for Galway to have Mayo and Roscommon killing each other this Sunday, and a fresh Galway facing them a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Galway won't win Sam, that'll be Dublin or Kerry.

Don't discount Donegal :D.
    Galway would have beaten Sligo.

I get what you're saying but I think you're going to be one of very few who'll want an asterisk beside Galway's Connacht title should they win it.

I'd be more inclined to entertain the notion if it was Mayo or Roscommon withdrawing, but it's Sligo, no disrespect intended.

Galway will have to beat the winners of Mayo V Roscommon & that's usually the way things go in Connacht. 2/3 of those teams draw one another before the final & the remaining team end up face the winner in the final.

You can be sure Galway will have preferred to play New York & Sligo before raging Mayo/Roscommon in a Connacht final.

They'll be going in cold where as Mayo will be going in to it with two championship games played albeit Leitrim was a handy one but Roscommon shouldn't be. Roscommon will have a tough championship game against Mayo under their belt should they win.

If anything it's a disadvantage but each to their own opinion & I respect & understand yours & see where you're coming from.
    Yeah fair enough points it makes no difference in the grand scheme of the Championship because they would have won. Been straight into a final with one game for a cup doesn't feel quite right is more what I am saying, although they would have got there anyway and I am sure they would have preferred an extra game.

I wonder what would happen if one of the contenders for some honours had an outbreak. You can see why weaker counties might not be bothered and no back door football on summer fields either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very unlikely but Westmeath will put up a massive challenge against Dublin. This is knockout stuff in conditions that Dublin aren't fans of. Very same for Cork against Kerry although Kerry are in a very good place this season

Roscommon Vs Mayo will be a good one too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very unlikely but Westmeath will put up a massive challenge against Dublin. This is knockout stuff in conditions that Dublin aren't fans of. Very same for Cork against Kerry although Kerry are in a very good place this season

Roscommon Vs Mayo will be a good one too

Hopefully Westmeath do make a game of it, but Dublin have won how many leagues, with most games played in similar conditions?

Oh, and the 2015 AI final? sure isn't the weather like that every day in the Kingdom!

Seriously though, it should raise the game for counties that would normally be looking towards a qualifier. At same time, Mayo have proven that it seems to make no difference. Good teams are unlikely to be caught on the hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Dubs by as much as they like really. Looking forward to seeing how we start off under Dessie's leadership. A comfortable 10-15 point win i'd imagine.

Kerry to beat Cork well. Cork's injury crisis and playing in Div 3 is not best preperation for a Kerry team brimming with quality.

Tipp to beat Limerick.

I can see an upset out west with Roscommon beating Mayo or at least running them very close.

Lots of good football action to enjoy over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Dublin v Westmeath - Dublin by a double digit margin of victory, Westmeath are a mid table Div 2 team and will struggle for scores if Heslin is well held.

Limerick v Tipperary - Tipp should build on their good win against Clare here, Limerick can be well pleased with the improvement they have made this year.

Cavan v Antrim. Cavan on a high after dumping Monaghan out of the championship and Antrim whom struggled in division 4. Anything but a comfortable Cavan win will be a surprise.

Roscommon v Mayo, game of the weekend between two top 8 sides, a close competitive encounter expected and while most of the punters, pundits fancy Mayo to win it will be no surprise to me if Roscommon win.

Longford v Laois this is a hard game to call, Laois only just avoided relegation to Div 3 and Longford was in the push for promotion to Div 2 plus they have home advantage if it counts for a lot now without supporters? I think Laois might edge this game.

Wicklow v Meath, - Meath got relegated from Div 1 without winning a game but they will be encouraged that they were competitive in all 7 games. Wicklow like Limerick will be happy with the progress they made this year but its hard not to see Meath winning a bit to spare.

Offaly v Kildare - Jack O'Connor v John Maughan. I'd expect Offaly to give Kildare a good rattle but Kildare to pull away in the final quarter.

Cork v Kerry - RTE and the media might build this up as a close game but I feel it could be the opposite, the fact that's its a knock out tie will have Kerry fully focused and Cork preparation for this game has not been good. Kerry by 8 to 10 points

Fermanagh v Down - two sides going in opposite directions in the league, i think Fermanagh might nick it in a low scoring match.

Cork have been operating at a low level but they did show some spark in the championship last year, and winning is always a good habit. Don't think they'll win but might be more than a stroll in the park. cork needed to win division III but could do so on the bridle. This is the game they've been preparing for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Cork have been operating at a low level but they did show some spark in the championship last year, and winning is always a good habit. Don't think they'll win but might be more than a stroll in the park. cork needed to win division III but could do so on the bridle. This is the game they've been preparing for.
    Straight knockout always suited cork

Handicap is 5. Thought it might have been more. Probably about right. Should be interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Bonniedog wrote: »

Championship last year for Cork

Won v Div 4 Limerick to reach the Munster final

Lost to Kerry in final, were competitive thanks mostly to scoring 3 goals. Can they score goals on Sunday?

Won v Div 3 Laois to reach the Super 8s

In their group some decent performances but

Lost to Dublin
    Lost to Tyrone
    Lost to Roscommon

They won every game in Division 3 this year but only played 1 game since March and it was a non competitive encounter. Given a walk over v Longford hasn't helped their preparation for the championship.

Margin of victory in those Div 3 matches.

Offaly (H) 7 points
    Leitrim (A) 9 points
    Down (H) 5 points
    Tipp (A) 1 point
    Derry (H) 2 points
    Louth (H) 18 points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Would not be familiar with Antrim at all tbh but Paddy Cunningham looks a very good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Tipp v Limerick is on RTE News Now. Sky channel 521. Morrissey and some screachy woman commentating so BBC it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Don't know who or where BBC commentator is from but he is so biased to Antrim!
    As I type that's an unbelievable point from Paddy Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Limerick starting to get a major foothold in this, up by 6 and looking comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The **** is gone wrong with Tipperary

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The **** is gone wrong with Tipperary

In fairness they're a division 3 team as are limerick, so it's not that big a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mushy wrote: »
    In fairness they're a division 3 team as are limerick, so it's not that big a surprise

And Limerick have a lot of momentum behind them. They have hardly put a foot wrong in 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Looks a bit of a breeze favouring Limerick in that half but the defending for Limerick's second goal was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    And Limerick have a lot of momentum behind them. They have hardly put a foot wrong in 12 months

In the first half they've looked solid in defence, put a lot of pressure on Tipperary players in possession, and managed some really good scores including both goals. Expecting to see a bit more from Tipp in the second half with the wind.

Looks a bit of a breeze favouring Limerick in that half but the defending for Limerick's second goal was atrocious.

Im atop a little hill 5 mins walk from the stadium and ya bit of a breeze is about all it is. Certainly not a 5+ point wind or anything like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Im atop a little hill 5 mins walk from the stadium and ya bit of a breeze is about all it is. Certainly not a 5+ point wind or anything like that

you watching with binoculars or on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Deegan is trying to hand this game to Tipp. Too many soft frees.

you watching with binoculars or on TV?

Neither sadly I'm in work.

I am now inside a building on said hill

Tipp now ahead by 2, limerick haven't scored this half

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Limerick have been poor since ht, that Tip goal will either wake them up or finish them off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sheehan puts Limerick a point up with 5 mins injury time left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Anyone else forgotten how annoying it is for Marty to be constantly reminding us of how long it is since a team scored ?

Advertisement