Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Don't know who or where BBC commentator is from but he is so biased to Antrim!
    As I type that's an unbelievable point from Paddy Cunningham.

BBC are always biased towards counties from NI. Niblock today was even calling Antrim “we” at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Lights.

Worth remembering that Westmeath finished 4th in Division 2 (and weren't that far off promotion - they drew with Armagh who got promoted)

League standings is irrelevant when playing Dublin and that goes for most division 1 teams
    The only team capable of giving Dublin a game is kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

C__MC wrote: »
    League standings is irrelevant when playing Dublin and that goes for most division 1 teams

I'd love to just fast forward things and get it over with. A terrible championship in terms of the time of year and obvious circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

C__MC wrote: »

That was basically my point.
    The fact that Dublin are dismantling a team who are that high in the standings says a world about the overall competitiveness of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That was basically my point.
    The fact that Dublin are dismantling a team who are that high in the standings says a world about the overall competitiveness of the championship.

The Limerick game was great fun today and i would much prefer if it was the semi of a tournament we might win and not just a hiding to nothing in a few weeks.
    The league is way more fun than the championship for about 70% of the teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Limerick game was great fun today and i would much prefer if it was the semi of a tournament we might win and not just a hiding to nothing in a few weeks.

Would make you wonder why so many players and managers from the so called 'weaker counties' are opposed to a tiered championship.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Would make you wonder why so many players and managers from the so called 'weaker counties' are opposed to a tiered championship.

I dont know but as a fan Im all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

It has to happen. I've always wanted a two tier championship.

Really think there should be a 3 tier football championship.

Players and spectators want competitive games not turkey shoots.

Nobody should have the right to play at the top level without earning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Dublin have converted 15/17 chances. An 88% success rate which is pretty efficiant for 35 minutes of football.

Shot selection and decision making as ever is excellent by this group of Dublin players. Gone are the days whereby they would take on long distance pop shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mayo celebrate ur president victory today , for tomorrow you dine in hell. Roscommon 2:14 Mayo 2:12.

Mayo celebrate ur president victory today , for tomorrow you dine in hell. Roscommon 2:14 Mayo 2:12.

No way Mayo get knocked out before they have a chance to get their hopes up.

Shot selection and decision making as ever is excellent by this group of Dublin players. Gone are the days whereby they would take on long distance pop shots.

I think it's one of the things that Dublin are just phenomenally good at - their shot selection. Being patient enough to work the ball to a player in a good shooting position. It's not even a case of not taking on hail mary shots from bad positions that you see players on a whole lot of other taking, it's that the default standard shot is taken on from a good/very good shooting position/situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭doc_17

Lights.

Worth remembering that Westmeath finished 4th in Division 2 (and weren't that far off promotion - they drew with Armagh who got promoted)

Could they not play it during the day?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Could they not play it during the day?

I'd image throwin time was due to a TV station wanting an evening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

They're the kind of antics that win you championships and I have no complaints with them doing that. You do what you have to do to win. I dare say if Kerry had a bit more about them, they could have won the first game last year with similar antics but they were a bit naive and backed off.

Canavan made the point that it was game management from the Dubs against Mayo and it was. Dont let them out, create a ruckus, wind down the clock. Job done.

I agree with all of that. I just think that Canavan shouldnt try and frame it as Dublin workrate. Call it Dublin cynicism or whatever.

Dublin forwards workrate is phenomenal. Far better ways to illustrate that IMO.

Mannion is probably the hardest working corner forward in the country. He has made several notable blocks in big games in the last few years.

I just think it was poor analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

As expected a double digit margin of victory for Dublin, where they really are won't be known until the All-Ireland semi final against The Ulster champions (probably Donegal)

As for Westmeath they achieved their two main objectives for the year, 1. Avoided relegation to Division 3 and 2. avoided a 20 plus point trimming. Much better teams than them have lost to Dublin by a lot more than 11 points and they can be especially happy with their 2nd half performance.

I think it's one of the things that Dublin are just phenomenally good at - their shot selection. Being patient enough to work the ball to a player in a good shooting position. It's not even a case of not taking on hail mary shots from bad positions that you see players on a whole lot of other taking, it's that the default standard shot is taken on from a good/very good shooting position/situation.

Also related to this - Westmeath have kicked a number of "great" scores in this game but in a way I'd say Dublin would be somewhat pleased that so many of the scores they conceded were "great scores" of this nature I.e. from distance/poor angles/under pressure/off-balance. Dublin's defence have done very well in terms of limiting Westmeath's good-quality/shots that have a high conversion percentage. Westmeath have beaten the odds in terms of their conversion of these poor quality shooting chances but longer-term it's no way to win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I dont know but as a fan Im all for it

Same. I enjoyed that Tipp Limerick match today. Wasnt great at times but 2 evenly matched teams and a 1 point extra time victory. Would be great to see that every year right across the board which is what a tiered championship will provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Ah come on, Hyde Park may not be the bernabau, but I'd hardly consider it hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Really think there should be a 3 tier football championship.

Players and spectators want competitive games not turkey shoots.

2 tiers is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The league has been the superior competition for a long long time, especially now with the settled format. Love the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I agree with all of that. I just think that Canavan shouldnt try and frame it as Dublin workrate. Call it Dublin cynicism or whatever.

Dublin forwards workrate is phenomenal. Far better ways to illustrate that IMO.

Mannion is probably the hardest working corner forward in the country. He has made several notable blocks in big games in the last few years.

I just think it was poor analysis.

That is a fair assessment.

Tbf to Peter he was shoved down a corridor. He looked cold. I would have been bitter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd image throwin time was due to a TV station wanting an evening game.

Surely that would be irrelevant? A TV company can’t take home advantage from a county?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Surely that would be irrelevant? A TV company can’t take home advantage from a county?

The match would have been in Portlaoise even if it had been in the summer. It would still have been a Saturday evening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm all in favour of a two-tiered Championship in the near future, and the league certainly does provide a lot of the better football in an Inter-County season a s the games are usually closer.

I also realise despite reaching only our 2nd Munster final since 2002, that this team is slowly going backwards, not forwards.
    However as great as winning league titles and winning a B Championship would B (and that would bring me great Joy)..... it's not the same. A Munster football Championship is something Tipperary football people would cherish for the rest of their lives. As unlikely as it may seem to happen, I would never want the potential for that to be taken away !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Big Ears wrote: »
    I'm all in favour of a two-tiered Championship in the near future, and the league certainly does provide a lot of the better football in an Inter-County season a s the games are usually closer.

I also realise despite reaching only our 2nd Munster final since 2002, that this team is slowly going backwards, not forwards.
    However as great as winning league titles and winning a B Championship would B (and that would bring me great Joy)..... it's not the same. A Munster football Championship is something Tipperary football people would cherish for the rest of their lives. As unlikely as it may seem to happen, I would never want the potential for that to be taken away !

It wouldn't be the same but it's better than chasing after a Munster title once a century. Attendances in Munster dropped by 49% in 2019 (excluding the final). Even Kerry fans are getting bored of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

It wouldn't be the same but it's better than chasing after a Munster title once a century. Attendances in Munster dropped by 49% in 2019 (excluding the final). Even Kerry fans are getting bored of it now.

Football in general is falling away in attendance. Its quite a poor product at the moment with very little difference in styles of play. Some are just better at it than others but in general its a risk averse game of keep ball with the odd bit of pace injected. The poorer teams get turned over whilst the better teams manage to work it to the scoring zone and take an easy finish. The excitement and magic of eras like the 90s and early 00's is gone and the interest is dwindling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

Football has become very poor
    The two finals last year saved a poor championship
    Mass defence and teams holding onto possession not helping

Advertisement