Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The provincial championships are dead they say? My arse!

Well done to Tipp and Cavan a great day for the underdog and both wins built on the back of good underage success for both counties with a set of players that had no fear of Donegal, Cork.

Awful shame no supporters in attendance for those two great wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Match odds just for the Donegal v Cavan game below

Easiest £15 I've made, put on what was left in the PP account five mins into the game :D

When you put up the odds earlier I was gonna do the same and throw the 8euro in my account on it and got completely distracted. Raging.

You're eating out in Hillbillies tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

dobman88 wrote: »
    I think so, yes. As players know they have another day to go. But with knock out teams have to go for it. Same reason cork beat Kerry, they went for it at the end instead of just sitting in and maybe Kerry felt the pressure of knock out football.

I've been saying it for weeks at this stage. Scrap the back door and super 8s, get knock out back. Wishful thinking I'd say unfortunately

League in Spring/Summer followed by a knockout championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Attitude. That's what it comes down to. Delighted for Cavan.

The provincial championships are dead they say? My arse!

Well done to Tipp and Cavan a great day for the underdog and both wins built on the back of good underage success for both counties with a set of players that had no fear of Donegal, Cork.

Awful shame no supporters in attendance for those two great wins.

The provincials have been saved by knockout football. That's the key here.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Cavan is a huge county area wise
    Fine record all the same

It's mostly water sure. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Amazing day in Gaelic football .
    The emotion in the speech’s of the Cavan manager and goalkeeper after the game on BBC championship were something else , that’s one thing the GAA have as all these players are from towns and villages they ultimately represent not bought from somewhere else or having to be paid to play .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Young Galligan is bruised and battered but still smiling. Great young lad.

He was a colossus, fabulous footballer and showed the heart of a lion out there today. Today was a great day for GAA. To help with the money, the game shout be about big days like this for the underdogs. Give them a fighting change and if the big guns get complacent and get beaten, no second chances.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Slattsy wrote: »

And that is why Dublin win AIs and why Mayo keep going back and back and back. Call us bottlers and I know I'm biased by the attitude has to be monstrous to return year after year. Meath saying that young lads won't play as they "know" that they won't win Leinister. Tell that to Cavan and Tipp.

Respect a team yes, but stamp on their reputation and see what happens and as the last few weeks have shown that Cavan, Tipp and Cork win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Are the semi finals next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

almostover wrote: »
    He was a colossus, fabulous footballer and showed the heart of a lion out there today. Today was a great day for GAA. To help with the money, the game shout be about big days like this for the underdogs. Give them a fighting change and if the big guns get complacent and get beaten, no second chances.

Thoroughly agree.
    That’s why you need good referees too. Imagine if Cavan had lost by a point after all that happened out there today. Would have been very unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Oisin McConville made a very good point saying why can’t Dublin v Cavan be played in a neutral ground ?
    There’s no crowds so what other other reason would prevent it been played in a neutral venue ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Sawduck wrote: »
    Are the semi finals next week

2 weeks I think hurling next week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sligeach wrote: »
    If you had predicted the 4 provincial winners last year, the odds must have been 100/1 if not 200/1.

Dublin 1/20
    Tipp 16/1
    Mayo 15/8
    Cavan 20/1

Source - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-senior-football-championships-a-county-by-county-guide-1.4391674

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Attitude will only get you so far, you need skill too.
    The standard of the championship this year has been very poor, so the underdog teams have done better .

Dublin could put out a B team and still win the All Ireland, complacency will be their only weakness.

The standard of the championship this year has been very poor, so the underdog teams have done better .

Dublin could put out a B team and still win the All Ireland, complacency will be their only weakness.

They couldn’t really though. Yesterday it was their minors that would win Leinster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭corny

Impressive win. It wasn't a snatch and grab job.

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Get rid of Leinster. Ulster is fine as it is.

I don't think that will work. :)

As it should be reiterated as you're new here, I do love the Ulster championship and Ulster Final day out in Clones is my favourite GAA experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Inquitus wrote: »

A 10e bet would have returned 10,770e. I wonder did anyone take a chance on history repeating itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In one way it's a little sad that today was the highlight of the championship. Not much drama now in Dublin getting the 6 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

I don't think that will work. :)

As it should be reiterated as you're new here, I do love the Ulster championship and Ulster Final day out in Clones is my favourite GAA experience.

Except for the traffic on Northern Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Inquitus wrote: »

Quick look on PaddyPower, a €1 accumulator on the 4 above would get you €1,077 return. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭dunnerc

hurler32 wrote: »
    Oisin McConville made a very good point saying why can’t Dublin v Cavan be played in a neutral ground ?
    There’s no crowds so what other other reason would prevent it been played in a neutral venue ??

Yes indeed play it at a neutral venue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not the vibe on RTE. Praising skill.

I feel break gave Dublin's leg weary players a much needed break. Meanwhile but other teams out of sync and out of whack.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

On a different note BBC championship coverage was country miles ahead of stale boring analysis coverage on RTÉ .
    Peter Canavan , Mickey Harte , Oisin McConville , Marty Clarke would leave the RTÉ crew standing .

dunnerc wrote: »
    Yes indeed play it at a neutral venue

I’d ask the Cavan players first, at the very least.

On a different note BBC championship coverage was country miles ahead of stale boring analysis coverage on RTÉ .
    Peter Canavan , Mickey Harte , Oisin McConville , Marty Clarke would leave the RTÉ crew standing .

It’s been excellent this year, even better since Harte joined up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

When you put up the odds earlier I was gonna do the same and throw the 8euro in my account on it and got completely distracted. Raging.

You're eating out in Hillbillies tonight!

I wish, I'm stuck in London - hoping to get back for Christmas

Oh. My. God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That and covid19 no way would all this have happened without it.

One of the few benefits of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement