Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Rubbish , get Dublin out of Croke Park

And take this discussion over to the Changes in GAA thread arguing about Dublin and the "home advantage"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115379716

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

thelad95 wrote: »
    For the first time in history we've a winter championship and people are baying for semi finals in December to be played in a bog in Tullamore or Portlaoise when we have one of the finest sporting facilities in Europe with a state of the art pitch that's proven time and again that no matter the weather it is absolutely immaculate. All driven by a ridiculous anti Dublin agenda when there won't even be fans at games.

It would also be grossly unfair to take away the opportunity of playing in Croke Park from Cavan and Tipperary. Two teams that aren't exactly frequent visitors.

Let Tipperary play Mayo in Croke Park a neutral venue but play Cavan v Dublin in a neutral venue . Arnagh athletic grounds today and many other grounds are in top order .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Dublin need to play the rest of their games out the Aran Islands for the sake of the football championship.

They have a football pitch out there so there's no excuse, although a bog or a field would be preferable.

Also they have plenty of money do they can get a plane if the boat doesn't suit.

Then we'll see what this Dublin team are really made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Let Tipperary play Mayo in Croke Park a neutral venue but play Cavan v Dublin in a neutral venue . Arnagh athletic grounds today and many other grounds are in top order .

You prove your bias by denying to Cavan what you want for Mayo & Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Absolutely delighted for Tipp and Cavan. I really enjoyed todays games. I had my doubts about Cork, but thought Donegal were a shoe in. So much for all the Donegal will challenge Dublin spoof. On the downside, Dublin v Cavan may well be another cricket score for the Dubs. Not sure about Mayo v Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

dunnerc wrote: »
    Yes indeed play it at a neutral venue

So if you’re a Cavan footballer you’d happily give up playing an All Ireland semi final in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah as crazy as it is giving Dublin home advantage I think the games need to be played in Croker at this time of the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yeah I think it could well have, because you know in the back of your mind you don’t really need to win.

But does that not make the big teams more relaxed and give the small teams who are aiming for a provincial an advantage?

Straight knockout should have made Kerry and the likes harder to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

dobman88 wrote: »
    Will Cavan stay within 20 points of Dublin? I'd have the line at about 16 points

Who gives an absolute toss, more joy in Cavan tonight that when/if Dublin win 10 in a row. Absolute bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Ah no, Jeff Kenna winning a premier League medal is the highlight I'd say.

With a money bags owner where is the drama in that? :D

If you can't appreciate people's passion in the sport of the GAA why engage if it is only going to negative snipes? Strange way to get enjoyment by píssing on others enjoyment.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The provincials have been saved by knockout football. That's the key here.

Roscommon 2017, 2019 , Monaghan 2013, 2015 after match celebrations showed how much provincial championships means to some county players and supporters. The Tommy Murphy cup or whatever its new name is now will never have the same interest and excitement of winning a provincial championship with or without the knockout element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Who gives an absolute toss, more joy in Cavan tonight that when/if Dublin win 10 in a row. Absolute bliss.

100% this weekend's result is a bigger boost to football than anything to do with Dublin ever will be. It's not about the All Ireland when one team dominates so much. It's about over achievements and upsets along the way. A provisional title for Tipp & Cavan far more important.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    But does that not make the big teams more relaxed and give the small teams who are aiming for a provincial an advantage?

Straight knockout should have made Kerry and the likes harder to beat

Back door means a second chance. How many times did Cork win Munster but Kerry won Sam? Plus in 2001 the Rossies won Connacht but Galway won Sam.

Back door benefits the better counties in the long run.
    Knock out is on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

People saying that given the year that's in it, with no crowds, we should play semifinals out of Croke Park...

In my opinion, for the year that's in it, 100 years on from a massacre in that ground, a massacre that symbolises the very way in which colonisers tried to eradicate the cultural identity of this country, it is absolutely imperative that the semifinals are played there this year, of all years. That we are still playing our national games at all after what we have been through historically is a miracle. That Croke Park is still standing is a big deal. To have the opportunity to showcase these games and all these fine teams, who very much deserve to play in that stadium, 100 years on from that terrible event should be viewed as a cultural milestone and a victory for the identity of our games and the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    People saying that given the year that's in it, with no crowds, we should play semifinals out of Croke Park...

In my opinion, for the year that's in it, 100 years on from a massacre in that ground, a massacre that symbolises the very way in which colonisers tried to eradicate the cultural identity of this country, it is absolutely imperative that the semifinals are played there this year, of all years. That we are still playing our national games at all after what we have been through historically is a miracle. That Croke Park is still standing is a big deal. To have the opportunity to showcase these games and all these fine teams, who very much deserve to play in that stadium, 100 years on from that terrible event should be viewed as a cultural milestone and a victory for the identity of our games and the country as a whole.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No better way to remember one massacre than having another massacre of football!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

100% this weekend's result is a bigger boost to football than anything to do with Dublin ever will be. It's not about the All Ireland when one team dominates so much. It's about over achievements and upsets along the way. A provisional title for Tipp & Cavan far more important.

Whatever happened to just being happy for the teams that have won rather than picking away like some loon in a rocking chair at stuff that has been done to death?

If Tipp and Cavan footballers had your attitude they'd be sulking in their homes instead of getting up off their ar3es and having a go.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Whatever happened to just being happy for the teams that have won rather than picking away like some loon in a rocking chair at stuff that has been done to death?

If Tipp and Cavan footballers had your attitude they'd be sulking in their homes instead of getting up off their ar3es and having a go.

It is funny trying to figure out if the posters are:

1) rabid soccer = anti-GAA,

2) 'a hurling man' who is 100% anti-football.

Or worse

3) a poster from a fallen football county who is jealous of others success.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Back door means a second chance. How many times did Cork win Munster but Kerry won Sam? Plus in 2001 the Rossies won Connacht but Galway won Sam.

Back door benefits the better counties in the long run.
    Knock out is on the day.

In the long run but it makes results like today more likely not less. Today happened because it happened and has nothing to do with knockout or not

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭briandebum

It's worth pointing out that 100 years ago the Cavan v Dublin All Ireland Semi was played in Navan.

https://twitter.com/gaathenandnow/status/1330571894450491394

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Dublin need to play the rest of their games out the Aran Islands for the sake of the football championship.

They have a football pitch out there so there's no excuse, although a bog or a field would be preferable.

Also they have plenty of money do they can get a plane if the boat doesn't suit.

Then we'll see what this Dublin team are really made of.

This is the year to do something like that. Would be an unreal spectacle. Obviously logistics with TV infrastructure etc are the issue but it would be some advertisement for GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Bonniedog wrote: »

How do you know about my rocking chair?!

I fully expect all teams to give it their very best. Why wouldn't they? The odds have been stacked against them thus far but it didn't stop them breaking through did it? There's been zero negative in my posts. I think this year's results are a huge positive to a championship that needed some change & surprises to liven it up. I haven't written anything off do far but only a fool wouldn't recognise the gulf between Dublin and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭munster87

Fantastic to see the emotion of the Cavan players and management today! Sport is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

briandebum wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that 100 years ago the Cavan v Dublin All Ireland Semi was played in Navan.

https://twitter.com/gaathenandnow/status/1330571894450491394

Sure, and I still think the games should be played in Croke Park. This centenary is very important - it's a show of strength that we are still able to play these games in Croke Park and we should be proud to do so, after what happened there. And it's not just about the centenary, but also how the GAA has brought some much-needed spirit to communities in times of covid. We saw what these provincial wins meant to Cavan and Tipp, and what it likely means to their communities. They absolutely deserve the chance to go on and have the rest of their games played in Croke Park this year. The most important games of the championship (final and semifinal) should be played there and the teams who are in the semifinals deserve the chance to play there, with the best facilities and on the best surface.

The only reason there is any argument about it is because of a perceived "advantage" for Dublin. I'm actually old enough to remember Dublin losing games in Croke Park. In fact, there have been periods of time when it hasn't been a particularly happy hunting ground for them. I happen to think the team they have now will win wherever you like and moving the game to another ground is not going to make any difference. I still think the latter stages of the championship should be played there as a showcase for the games. There should be a sense of occasion about a semifinal and part of that is playing in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Regardless, of systems or structures there will always be upsets. These things go in cycles. People forget Dublin spent a lot of time being nearly men also. It'll turn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

Today probably keeps provincial football alive for another good twenty years
    I dont think a provincial win would mean as much if it became some secondary competition like what's being talked about as a proposal

Cavan deserved todays win, they out fought donegal all over the pitch and are worthy champions, no doubt about it
    Likewise the same with Tipp, worthy champions down in Munster

Tonight is not about will Cavan put it up to dublin, it's their Ulster championship , same with tipperary in Munster

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I never knew Cavan had won so many Ulster championships until today. They have won 40 now in total with just two of those in the last 40 years.

When you look at the provincial championships, none are as lopsided as Munster for most wins by a single team:
    Ulster: Cavan with 40 of 125 = 32%
    Connacht: Mayo with 47 of 122 = 38%
    Leinster: Dublin with 59 of 133 = 43%
    Munster: Kerry with 81 of 132 = 61%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Some people commented on the Cavan taches and haircuts, put your hands in your pockets lads....

https://t.co/JItxFhnjUB

Cavan's fall from the elite was pretty staggering. When i was a kid they were still always talked about as contenders even though they hadn't won an Ulster since 1969 and an All Ireland since 1952.

Simon Deignan who had won a couple of All Irelands with Cavan was great Erins' Isle man who donated the ground where the club and main pitch are now. He was also a leading ref in the late 50s and reffed a Dublin/Mayo semi final in 1955. Which did not go unremarked!

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Some people commented on the Cavan taches and haircuts, put your hands in your pockets lads....

https://t.co/JItxFhnjUB

I thought it was the Selbys coming out onto the pitch ;)

Advertisement