Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How do they fix it?
    Teams are fitter,bigger and stronger than ever before and I'm struggling to see what the GAA can do to improve football as a spectle.

I don't think they will scrap the provisional system but if they did then a league and knock out competition in tandem would work well imo.

At a certain stage the lower teams would go to secondary competition but everyone would start off in the main competition.

For lack of a better example then Champions league and Europa Cup. Where top 2 in a group move onto Sam Maguire and the lower teams in a group play a second competition.

I don't really follow American Football but I remember seeing a system(possibly on Hogan Stand) similar to what they use with divisions and conferences and it being configured for GAA and it seemed like a good set up.Just one competition in place to replace league and AI .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

yabadabado wrote: »
    How do they fix it?
    Teams are fitter,bigger and stronger than ever before and I'm struggling to see what the GAA can do to improve football as a spectle.

I don't think they will scrap the provisional system but if they did then a league and knock out competition in tandem would work well imo.

At a certain stage the lower teams would go to secondary competition but everyone would start off in the main competition.

For lack of a better example then Champions league and Europa Cup. Where top 2 in a group move onto Sam Maguire and the lower teams in a group play a second competition.

I don't really follow American Football but I remember seeing a system(possibly on Hogan Stand) similar to what they use with divisions and conferences and it being configured for GAA and it seemed like a good set up.Just one competition in place to replace league and AI .

Personally, I think having the league and championship in tandem would be silly.

For me:

Leave league as is because it's great but use the final positions as seedings for the Championship.

Championship should be just a whole, all-in straight knockout. Seeded so that the Division One teams (ie. 1st-6th place in Division One and 1st and second [promoted teams] from Division 2) avoid each other in the first round and open draw after that, and that's it. Play it out over the summer every couple of weeks and let the tension build. Would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

threeball wrote: »
    Football in general is falling away in attendance. Its quite a poor product at the moment with very little difference in styles of play. Some are just better at it than others but in general its a risk averse game of keep ball with the odd bit of pace injected. The poorer teams get turned over whilst the better teams manage to work it to the scoring zone and take an easy finish. The excitement and magic of eras like the 90s and early 00's is gone and the interest is dwindling.

This is because they keep tinkering with rules which are slowly removing any ingenuity from the game.

The mark needs to go. It's a nonsense. Part of the joy of sport is innovation and having the rest catch up. We can see that thread from Armagh to Tyrone through Kerry into Donegal and now Dublin (with added Mayo). They all played vastly different styles and it took something special to beat all of them eventually.

Let the game evolve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Trump2016_ wrote: »
    What is the point of the water break. GAA need to stop copying the premier league for the sake of it.

The Premier League brought in water breaks because they would be playing football in very hot temperatures, something they never did because soccer wa never played during the summer months.

GAA is played during the summer anyways. And it makes even less sense in the middle of winter.

It's even more ridiculous than using penalties as a way of deciding matches. In GAA, a tiebreaker should be a free kick shootout. Point scoring is a basic skill and aim in GAA. Scoring goals is not. I'd find it far more exciting seeing a free kick shootout from the D for football.

Covid-19 match regulations state that to avoid players sharing water bottles, a stoppage of no more than one minute midway through each half is permitted for players to take on fluids at the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Covid-19 match regulations state that to avoid players sharing water bottles, a stoppage of no more than one minute midway through each half is permitted for players to take on fluids at the sideline.

Couldn't they just give them ,a disposable bottle.
    No sharing, hand them a bottle/ pouch of water and dump it straight away .

• Advertisement

Teams are using it as a tactics time out now anyway which is only making them last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

This is because they keep tinkering with rules which are slowly removing any ingenuity from the game.

The mark needs to go. It's a nonsense. Part of the joy of sport is innovation and having the rest catch up. We can see that thread from Armagh to Tyrone through Kerry into Donegal and now Dublin (with added Mayo). They all played vastly different styles and it took something special to beat all of them eventually.

Let the game evolve.

The mark is crap but its not responsible for the current situation, it hasn't even been used in championship up to this year. We've been looking at drivel for 10years now. Even a team like Dublin head and shoulders above the rest is playing pass the parcel around the 45 before half the scores. Its gone like soccer but even soccer teams take more risks. Its boring as it could possibly be. You'll get one game per year that was actually worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Teams are using it as a tactics time out now anyway which is only making them last longer.

At least it has stopped those clowns of trainers running on to the pitch and getting involved in scraps.
    The worst culprits were the recently retired players. Dan Shanahan instantly springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭doc_17

The match would have been in Portlaoise even if it had been in the summer. It would still have been a Saturday evening game.

I’m a bit slow to follow. Were WM drawn at home? Or was this a neutral venue because all WFs in Leinster are at neutral venues?

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’m a bit slow to follow. Were WM drawn at home? Or was this a neutral venue because all WFs in Leinster are at neutral venues?

There’s different arrangements for every game and not a blanket rule per round. It was never drawn as a home game for Westmeath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

C__MC wrote: »
    Football has become very poor
    The two finals last year saved a poor championship
    Mass defence and teams holding onto possession not helping

Jesus Christ this typical football is poor nonsense once again it’s getting tiring at this stage. Seems like you didn’t watch much of last year’s championship if you think there was only 2 good games of football last year. What about some of the brilliant in the Club Championship in the last few years. There have been just as much good football games as there has been hurling games in the last few years.

To be honest I find hurling a lot poorer then what it used to be and can’t enjoy it as much as I used to enjoy it. Like every game in the hurling game Championship this year have been very high scoring but to be honest they have been poor spectacles.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Jesus Christ this typical football is poor nonsense once again it’s getting tiring at this stage. Seems like you didn’t watch much of last year’s championship if you think there was only 2 good games of football last year. What about some of the brilliant in the Club Championship in the last few years. There have been just as much good football games as there has been hurling games in the last few years.

To be honest I find hurling a lot poorer then what it used to be and can’t enjoy it as much as I used to enjoy it. Like every game in the hurling game Championship this year have been very high scoring but to be honest they have been poor spectacles.

You will find very few outside of the usual tired bitter football fans to agree with you there.
    Obviously we are not all True Gaels such as yourself and most of us judge the sport based on what we see which are the televised games and if the elite of the sport are playing this way and winning you can bet the clubs would if they could.
    Teams have realised that once you are a few points up you can keep ball round the 45 for the rest of the game like the Barcelona soccer team. Until someone figures out a way to push up to counter this without compromising defence we are doomed to slow games. I'm sure it will change in time though as tactics are fluit and reactionary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mayo, the sea stack may have won the all Ireland landmarks this year, but ye ain’t winning sh1t. Easy win for the Rossies today. Roscommon 3:10 Mayo 2:12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Mayo, the sea stack may have won the all Ireland landmarks this year, but ye ain’t winning sh1t. Easy win for the Rossies today. Roscommon 3:10 Mayo 2:12.

Easy one point win is it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I like how the 'easy win' is by a singe point.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You will find very few outside of the usual tired bitter football fans to agree with you there.
    Obviously we are not all True Gaels such as yourself and most of us judge the sport based on what we see which are the televised games and if the elite of the sport are playing this way and winning you can bet the clubs would if they could.
    Teams have realised that once you are a few points up you can keep ball round the 45 for the rest of the game like the Barcelona soccer team. Until someone figures out a way to push up to counter this without compromising defence we are doomed to slow games. I'm sure it will change in time though as tactics are fluit and reactionary

The biggest problem with football is the provincial championships and the unfairness of it like it doesn’t make sense that this year Galway only have to win one game a Connacht Final and they are in a All Ireland Semi Final. While Cavan would have to win 4 games to get to the same stage.

If the argument was made 5 or 6 years ago that football was poor then I would have tended to agree that there was a lot of defensive football, but in the last couple of years things have turned around, like in the last 2 weeks there have been some brilliant scores like the likes of Conor Sweeney’s point or Ray Connellan’s point. Rory Beggan and Raymond Galligan’s monster points. Ciaran Thompson and Michael Langan’s performances for Donegal last weekend.

In last year’s Championship there was some brilliant games outside of the finals the likes of Cork and Kerry. Armagh VS Down, Cavan Vs Armagh. Armagh Vs Mayo. Mayo Vs Roscommon. Clare Vs Meath. Tyrone VS Cork. Donegal Vs Kerry. That’s 8 games off the top of my head that were brilliant games and often some of the best games in Championship can be between lower ranked teams and are often not televised and only given about 2 minutes highlights on the Sunday Game. There could be two very good games today in Roscommon and Mayo and Cork vs Kerry but I don’t want to jinx it.

Like last Sunday Carlow and Offaly last week were the score was 20 points to 3-14 but there was only about 2 minutes of highlights of it on the Sunday Game. Carlow were the most defensive team in the country for the last number of years so if that doesn’t show that football is turning back into a more attacking game then nothing will show people that it’s turning back into a more attacking game. In my eyes that game should have been the 1st game showed like what they do on match of the day show the best game first and they should have been about 7 or 8 minute highlights from that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Come back at 3:10today and we will see
    Ye will have no reason to start the bus this yr for the championship

KIB4Life wrote: »
    The biggest problem with football is the provincial championships and the unfairness of it like it doesn’t make sense that this year Galway only have to win one game a Connacht Final and they are in a All Ireland Semi Final. While Cavan would have to win 4 games to get to the same stage.

If the argument was made 5 or 6 years ago that football was poor then I would have tended to agree that there was a lot of defensive football, but in the last couple of years things have turned around, like in the last 2 weeks there have been some brilliant scores like the likes of Conor Sweeney’s point or Ray Connellan’s point. Rory Beggan and Raymond Galligan’s monster points. Ciaran Thompson and Michael Langan’s performances for Donegal last weekend.

In last year’s Championship there was some brilliant games outside of the finals the likes of Cork and Kerry. Armagh VS Down, Cavan Vs Armagh. Armagh Vs Mayo. Mayo Vs Roscommon. Clare Vs Meath. Tyrone VS Cork. Donegal Vs Kerry. That’s 8 games off the top of my head that were brilliant games and often some of the best games in Championship can be between lower ranked teams and are often not televised and only given about 2 minutes highlights on the Sunday Game. There could be two very good games today in Roscommon and Mayo and Cork vs Kerry but I don’t want to jinx it.

Like last Sunday Carlow and Offaly last week were the score was 20 points to 3-14 but there was only about 2 minutes of highlights of it on the Sunday Game. Carlow were the most defensive team in the country for the last number of years so if that doesn’t show that football is turning back into a more attacking game then nothing will show people that it’s turning back into a more attacking game. In my eyes that game should have been the 1st game showed like what they do on match of the day show the best game first and they should have been about 7 or 8 minute highlights from that game.

Would you go away with your Carlow v Offaly should be the first game. Who the hell outside of about 5 diehards on GAA forums would tune in to a show where 2 small teams who are going nowhere are top billing. I enjoyed Limerick v Tipp but Limerick are not gonna be top billing ever unless they are playing a top team and so it should be.

I do think the tide will turn on the tactics and the Dubs won't keep winning forever and that will help too but the GAA are not helping with a no stakes province followed by that stupid group stage which kills the excitement just as the top teams are starting to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rossies win the toss and choose to go against the breeze. That would always be my preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Maybe it’s the no crowd or what and I know Gaelic football isn’t always great to watch but it’s even more so today.

• Advertisement

Roscommon playing like 15 headless chickens here. Perhaps not such an easy victory as I predicted earlier.

Nice goal from Diarmuid O Connor. Mayo well on top. Could be done by half time.

Couple of cheap wides won't help Roscommon's cause. Their heads could drop if Mayo can stretch it out to 10 points before the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its Mayo's year im telling ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe it’s the no crowd or what and I know Gaelic football isn’t always great to watch but it’s even more so today.

Pitch conditions and weather would have to be taken into account also. Not like the slick surfaces we are used to in a summer championship. Heavier ground and a sloppy surface makes for a poor spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cavan_King wrote: »
    BBC are always biased towards counties from NI. Niblock today was even calling Antrim “we” at times.

Kevin Niblock? Isn't he from Antrim? Didn't he play for St Galls and for Antrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

dobman88 wrote: »
    Pitch conditions and weather would have to be taken into account also. Not like the slick surfaces we are used to in a summer championship. Heavier ground and a sloppy surface makes for a poor spectacle.

Well that’s probably part of it but it’s the overall type of play which isn’t new but it’s particularly apparent to me today for some reason. It’s not exciting to watch. Well the heavy pitch won’t be as much an issue in cork it’s a new pitch and it’s dry in cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Kevin Niblock? Isn't he from Antrim? Didn't he play for St Galls and for Antrim?

It’s Thomas Niblock I was told. Probably his first cousin!

This is the new pitch they only put in last year. It looks a bit crap. Not as nice as the pitch in Cork.

• Advertisement

Mayo hitting four very poor wides just as they have the foot on Roscommon's throat. The lack of a killer instinct keeping Roscommon in the game (just about).

Advertisement