Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

McMurphy wrote: »
    So contrary to Leo getting his good friend a confidential document behind the rest of the Govt back, he got it for someone he is barely friends with.
    Or...he got it for the head of a GP's union in the interests of ensuring that the deal could be secured with all GPs.

That's what MOT said his intentions were with Harris. Why wouldn't he have said exactly the same thing to Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Looks to me that The Village is going to do this in a way to flush out those in FG who stand over this behaviour.
    A slow drip drip of the info...jump off the support band wagon now or risk further embarrassment.

A slow drip will just lead to fatigue. People just won't be arsed. Before we know it, we'll be into December with some lifting of restrictions and looking forward to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

seamus wrote: »
    Or...he got it for the head of a GP's union in the interests of ensuring that the deal could be secured with all GPs.

That's what MOT said his intentions were with Harris. Why wouldn't he have said exactly the same thing to Varadkar?

Because Leo always comes through or whatever he what's app'd. This wasn't a one off. Also Leo leaked a confidential document to his pal. This is the issue. His intentions are only known to himself. All we do know is he leaked a confidential document regarding health negotiations behind the back of the health minister, government and after Harris had refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

A slow drip will just lead to fatigue. People just won't be arsed. Before we know it, we'll be into December with some lifting of restrictions and looking forward to Christmas.

The seriousness or not that people take what Varadkar did,weren't cosgrave and the village Quare stupid not to hold onto this until week two of an election?
    Worse they picked election week in the states and as bad luck (for them) would have it an exciting week long news cycle all absorbing election result at that

Too late now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Dying out now, with the last embers turning black.
    Not even a vote of no confidence proposed.

Even Micheál is fed up.

“the essentials of the agreement were out there” in the public, Mr Martin warned the Sinn Féin leader that “it’s a dangerous place to be on the high moral ground” and said she should approach issues “with a greater humility”.

The Taoiseach referred to an article on the unmasking of Stakeknife, an IRA informer, and on British intelligence and the infiltration of the IRA. “If I was in your party or movement I’d be looking around every day and wondering who my friend is.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-dismisses-calls-for-ag-to-be-consulted-over-whether-varadkar-broke-law-1.4400051

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bowie wrote: »
    Because Leo always comes through or whatever he what's app'd. This wasn't a one off.

"Leo always comes through" sounds like a spoofer pretending to be better connected than he is.

There's no evidence (yet) that this was anything except a one-off.

Let's wait and see what Michael Smith decides to release next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

That's the sad bit about all of this. It'll fade, Leo will survive and nothing, absolutely nothing will change in a system that is disgusting.

If i leaked a document at work, and was caught by the bollix, I'd be packing my things with only myself to blame. We have a leader of the country do something he knows isn't right, and his followers rally around to defend their tribe.

It's not the worst thing a politician has done, but golf gate etc has shown that the Irish people are absolutely sick and tired of people thinking they are above the law, just do your job properly and professionally and don't take the piss. We all make mistakes x minimise them, learn from them, and move on if it was an honest mistake.

This turning everything into a tribal game, of faux outrage, but more damningly, the circling of wagons, deflection and lack of accountabilities and responsibility is just sickening. We should demand better, not make excuses and look to deflect ownership on technicalities.

They say democracy gives you the reps you deserve, well the standard of expectation and discourse in the world at the moment is infantile, intentionally ignorant bs - that's exactly what we have in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m a canny political animal at the best of times and knew this wasn’t going to be a resigning matter from the moment it was published.

A lot of men (always men) around here wasted a huge amount of time over the past few days coming up with increasingly lurid fantasies, speculation and opinions on this relatively minor matter. What a massive waste of time.

Leo has a few bruises but will dust himself down and get on with the good work he is doing. The only politician who had to resign this week was a SF senator who somehow forgot she had 10000 Sterling in grant money lodged in her personal bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I’m a canny political animal at the best of times and knew this wasn’t going to be a resigning matter from the moment it was published.

A lot of men (always men) around here wasted a huge amount of time over the past few days coming up with increasingly lurid fantasies, speculation and opinions on this relatively minor matter. What a massive waste of time.

Leo has a few bruises but will dust himself down and get on with the good work he is doing. The only politician who had to resign this week was a SF senator who somehow forgot she had 10000 Sterling in grant money lodged in her personal bank account.

That votes twice.

Nothing canny about doing something illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Can I ask if you are happy with Leo's conduct. Your man will survive, but have you lost a bit of respect for the man as a professional, or is everything OK? You speak as if its all a big game, we are talking about our national representation, don't you want, and demand, better?

• Advertisement

Imagine what else passed through that account if her first decision was to resign rather than face a criminal investigation? The volumes must be pretty high if 10,000 sterling didn't stand out to her...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Problem is Johnny, that SF story is done, nobody talking about it. Leo's discomfort and damage to the brand is going to run for a while yet.

Dáil disciplinary committee asked to investigate now as well as SIPO and the Gardai.

Party of law and order...ouch.

Mary Lou coming up on primetime radio to talk some more about it.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Interesting to how the line has changed from "it's nothing, a non-story, no evidence of wrongdoing" to "O'Tuathail is just making things up about docs being confidential"

And all the TDs being rolled out to face the media have echoed the same sentiment - clearly the spin machine is trying to go into overdrive to salvage this situation

The tried and trusted formula is patently obvious - reference SF at every opportunity as a (not so subtle) means of whataboutery:

Problem is Johnny, that SF story is done, nobody talking about it. Leo's discomfort and damage to the brand is going to run for a while yet.

Dáil disciplinary committee asked to investigate now as well as SIPO and the Gardai.

The Gardaí! Francie, you got a wee bit too excited about all this. Seeing things that didn’t exist. You can’t get your time back I suppose, but you could strike it down as a learning opportunity I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Meanwhile, in the Shinner's other jurisdiction.

'There have been 10 further Covid-19 linked deaths in Northern Ireland and 679 new cases of the virus, the Department of Health has announced.

The death toll recorded by the department now stands at 740.

There have been 40,858 confirmed cases in Northern Ireland, including 4,498 in the last seven days.

There are currently 418 patients with Covid-19 being treated in hospital, with 50 in intensive care.

The occupancy rate at hospitals has been reported at 101%.

There are also 120 active outbreaks at care homes in the region.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Imagine what else passed through that account if her first decision was to resign rather than face a criminal investigation? The volumes must be pretty high if 10,000 sterling didn't stand out to her...

The average industrial wage once a month.

The Gardaí! Francie, you got a wee bit too excited about all this. Seeing things that didn’t exist. You can’t get your time back I suppose, but you could strike it down as a learning opportunity I suppose.

Yes Johnny the Gardai, asked to investigate the activity of a FG Taoiseach. Sore one that no doubt.

This (and I can show you the post if you wish) was a scenario I said I would be delighted with, Varadkar clinging on and continuing to damage the FG. My goal is the end of the toxic power share and this aids and abets that, thank you very much!

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the Shinner's other jurisdiction.

'There have been 10 further Covid-19 linked deaths in Northern Ireland and 679 new cases of the virus, the Department of Health has announced.

The death toll recorded by the department now stands at 740.

There have been 40,858 confirmed cases in Northern Ireland, including 4,498 in the last seven days.

There are currently 418 patients with Covid-19 being treated in hospital, with 50 in intensive care.

The occupancy rate at hospitals has been reported at 101%.

There are also 120 active outbreaks at care homes in the region.'

Ineffably sickening. You Fine Gaelers couldn't care less if there are people dying as long as you can get a dig in.

You should be ashamed of yourself tbh. It isn't a competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Skeetur

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The average industrial wage once a month.

I presume that's sarcasm given they were found out on that lie a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Mary Lou moaning on and on and on sadly trying to milk some final morsel out of this can only be good for Leo. Always whinging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Varadker denigrated both Holohan and NPHET for doing their jobs, supplying advice to government.

He went on prime time television and slated them because they didn't clear their advice through him first.

Now he expects us to accept his bona fides in leaking a confidential document to a friend.

He is a person good at handing out criticism but very bad at accepting responsibility.

I will accept his explanation when I hear him apologise to Holohan and NPHET.

Until then he is , to me, a hypocrite and unfit for public office.

Varadker denigrated both Holohan and NPHET for doing their jobs, supplying advice to government.

He went on prime time television and slated them because they didn't clear their advice through him first.

Now he expects us to accept his bona fides in leaking a confidential document to a friend.

He is a person good at handing out criticism but very bad at accepting responsibility.

I will accept his explanation when I hear him apologise to Holohan and NPHET.

Until then he is , to me, a hypocrite and unfit for public office.

Lets face reality here....99% likely it was varadkar what leaked the nephet letter....saw what the wind was blowing as regards outrage,went onto claire byrne and tried to capitalise on it

Instead of us now leaving a 4 week lockdown,we are less than half way through a 6 week one.....remember this,when you not able to visit your friends or loved ones this weekend

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Dying out now, with the last embers turning black.
    Not even a vote of no confidence proposed.

Even Micheál is fed up.

“the essentials of the agreement were out there” in the public, Mr Martin warned the Sinn Féin leader that “it’s a dangerous place to be on the high moral ground” and said she should approach issues “with a greater humility”.

The Taoiseach referred to an article on the unmasking of Stakeknife, an IRA informer, and on British intelligence and the infiltration of the IRA. “If I was in your party or movement I’d be looking around every day and wondering who my friend is.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-dismisses-calls-for-ag-to-be-consulted-over-whether-varadkar-broke-law-1.4400051

She has a duty to call out government. MM citing the 'RA is pure shyte talk. MM has some neck citing 'moral' anything.

Lets face reality here....99% likely it was varadkar what leaked the nephet letter....saw what the wind was blowing as regards outrage,went onto claire byrne and tried to capitalise on it

Instead of us now leaving a 4 week lockdown,we are less than half way through a 6 week one.....remember this,when you not able to visit your friends or loved ones this weekend

That’s speculation, dude. It probably confirms all your conscious and unconscious biases, but it’s still just speculation. No ‘smoking gun’ so to speak. The loved ones thing at the end is a bit twee as well to be honest.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    That's the sad bit about all of this. It'll fade, Leo will survive and nothing, absolutely nothing will change in a system that is disgusting.

If i leaked a document at work, and was caught by the bollix, I'd be packing my things with only myself to blame. We have a leader of the country do something he knows isn't right, and his followers rally around to defend their tribe.

It's not the worst thing a politician has done, but golf gate etc has shown that the Irish people are absolutely sick and tired of people thinking they are above the law, just do your job properly and professionally and don't take the piss. We all make mistakes x minimise them, learn from them, and move on if it was an honest mistake.

This turning everything into a tribal game, of faux outrage, but more damningly, the circling of wagons, deflection and lack of accountabilities and responsibility is just sickening. We should demand better, not make excuses and look to deflect ownership on technicalities.

They say democracy gives you the reps you deserve, well the standard of expectation and discourse in the world at the moment is infantile, intentionally ignorant bs - that's exactly what we have in office.

That's the key point. FG under Kenny came in pledging an end to cronyism. These people are interchangeable and willing to dismiss or turn a blind eye it it's one of their team in the spotlight.
    When FF pull similar I hope nobody in FG has the neck to point fingers.
    We need standards and rid of these shysters, (FF/FG).

That’s speculation, dude. It probably confirms all your conscious and unconscious biases, but it’s still just speculation. No ‘smoking gun’ so to speak. The loved ones thing at the end is a bit twee as well to be honest.

Mate its reality....that letter was most deffo marked confidential....unless you think the present government is packed with people who think its wise to be leaking confidential info,which i dont

Its come from him,i know it,you know it,the dogs on the street know it.....stop trying to play the electorate and posters here for dopes

Ineffably sickening. You Fine Gaelers couldn't care less if there are people dying as long as you can get a dig in.

You should be ashamed of yourself tbh. It isn't a competition.

Tbf, people have been dying because of SF decisions for a long time before Covid... John Hume showed what could be done peacefully.

We know most SF voters simply don't care about SF's links to violent groups so to pretend you care about morals elsewhere in political life is stretching credibility. Hell, SF voters think it's ok for bomb makers to be in the Dail. (and I don't recall many of you caring about Adams shielding his child raping brother either tbh).

And I'm saying that as someone who thinks Varadkar should go.

Tbf, people have been dying because of SF decisions for a long time before Covid... John Hume showed what could be done peacefully.

We know most SF voters simply don't care about SF's links to violent groups so to pretend you care about morals elsewhere in political life is stretching credibility. Hell, SF voters think it's ok for bomb makers to be in the Dail. (and I don't recall many of you caring about Adams shielding his child raping brother either tbh).

And I'm saying that as someone who thinks Varadkar should go.

Everybody on this island are 'connected to violent groups' Harvey. And thankfully almost all of them bar dissidents are in the past. Stop being a hypocrite about it, you own your freedom because of violent groups. And those people you look down at will tell you the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

walshb wrote: »
    Bunch of squealers!

Leo the leak has a better ring to it than Leo the squealer tbh, he'll have to be kept at arms length from any sensitive documents forever more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement