Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

blanch152 wrote: »
    Whistleblower? Not in accordance with Irish legislation.

Now you want to be strict about what it says in Irish legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    He can count better than former FG minister for Finance Noonan.

If things keep getting iffy for the leaky one the freezer might have to be defrosted, big day out

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To definitively claim that 'a reference to a Cabinet decision that the Government should continue engagement with the NAGP...is sufficient authorisation' for Leo to send a confidential document directly to a friend in that organisation without the knowledge of the other parties involved is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous?

Government decision to continue engagement with the NAGP. Taoiseach engages with the NAGP. All perfectly legal.

Issue around how Taoiseach engaged with the NAGP. Not appropriate the way he did it, but far from illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

No he dodn't. He tweeted that he had made two detailed complaints.

Today he tweeted that the Gardai have informed him that one of them the first one has been actioned.

He included the Garda hashtag in his tweet so I see no reason to disbelieve him

If I am wrong, fair enough.

Why do you keep going on about including hte garda hashtag, sure anyone can do that - it means absolutely nothing!

Now you want to be strict about what it says in Irish legislation?

I have been strict about what it says in the legislation all along.

Posters having being throwing out nonsense about the Corruption Acts and the Official Secrets Act for days now, and I have been pointing out the nonsense that there was no breach of legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

spakman wrote: »
    Why do you keep going on about including hte garda hashtag, sure anyone can do that - it means absolutely nothing!

The Garda # would indicate he is cocksure of his tweet and claim they're actioning it, looks to me like he's letting them know he's putting some correspondence he got from them in the public domain.

No big deal either way if Leo has done nothing wrong.

I have been strict about what it says in the legislation all along.

Posters having being throwing out nonsense about the Corruption Acts and the Official Secrets Act for days now, and I have been pointing out the nonsense that there was no breach of legislation.

As the matter has not (yet) been investigated you cannot say with certainty there was no breach of legislation.
    You saying there absolutely wasn't is just as much opinion as those who say there was - so by your definition 'nonsense'.

There are senior councils who say there was a breach. Personally, I consider their legal opinion to be superior to yours - no offence intended, just I do not know what legal qualifications you possess, and my experience of you is as a staunch defender of Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads the thread is like a bad episode of the Matt Cooper show with the constant back and forth between all sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yes. I accept that. I was hoping for something more permanent however.

FF/Greens don't want an election and FG don't do accountability.
    A PR black eye is all that was going to happen.
    It is amusing to see the usual spin from FG attacking the messenger, critics and claiming its over or nothing to see. Usually pans out well for them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

How is it ridiculous?

Government decision to continue engagement with the NAGP. Taoiseach engages with the NAGP. All perfectly legal.

Issue around how Taoiseach engaged with the NAGP. Not appropriate the way he did it, but far from illegal.

Authority to 'engage with the NAGP' is not the same as 'authority to unilaterally release a confidential document to one one of their members...who is your mate...at his home address...and not mentioning it to anyone'

Of course this is all irrelevant because your boy Leo informed us that the Act doesn't apply to him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

McMurphy wrote: »
    The Garda # would indicate he is cocksure of his tweet and claim they're actioning it, looks to me like he's letting them know he's putting some correspondence he got from them in the public domain.

No big deal either way if Leo has done nothing wrong.

Jesus dude. No one gives a sh1t about this anymore. Have you looked at the top headlines. We're only at Thursday morning and this is already old news.

More interesting stuff going on in the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The fact that we're discussing it, twitter is hopping with it, RTÉ had it all morning, the newspapers are still running it and I've about five different WhatsApp groups who are all mad for it in SPITE of the US election says otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Varadkar has set back union negotiations a few decades, which might endear him with the Alan B'stard wing of FG its going to make things awkward for everyone else

I don't see much wrong with that in fairness. If you knew anything about Irish unions your jaw would hit the floor, they are a shambles.

Laughable that the lefties are acting like they have the GPs' backs all of a sudden? A month ago they were releasing shadow budgets hoping to crucify them with higher rates of tax... oh and encourage an extra 2,500 doctors to work here from abroad. I think patronising was the word I used at the time, not much has changed.

Although it is funny to see a party so used to being flahoolaigh with their own pieces of corruption, suddenly decide now is the time to get pedantic over a few texts. Guttersnipe stuff... and I am looking forward to when the worm turns here.

This non story has derided into a Friday afternoon classroom, when the teacher has phucked off for 15 minutes and everyone has started on the paper aeroplanes. The same posters having conniptions over a few texts were 2 weeks ago backing up Irish MP's getting paid by international drug cartels or condoning attrocities from the troubles. It stinks to be honest.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't see much wrong with that in fairness. If you knew anything about Irish unions your jaw would hit the floor, they are a shambles.

Laughable that the lefties are acting like they have the GPs' backs all of a sudden? A month ago they were releasing shadow budgets hoping to crucify them with higher rates of tax... oh and encourage an extra 2,500 doctors to work here from abroad. I think patronising was the word I used at the time, not much has changed.

Although it is funny to see a party so used to being flahoolaigh with their own pieces of corruption, suddenly decide now is the time to get pedantic over a few texts. Guttersnipe stuff... and I am looking forward to when the worm turns here.

This non story has derided into a Friday afternoon classroom, when the teacher has phucked off for 15 minutes and everyone has started on the paper aeroplanes. The same posters having conniptions over a few texts were 2 weeks ago backing up Irish MP's getting paid by international drug cartels or condoning attrocities from the troubles. It stinks to be honest.

The funniest today was the posters who put up screengrabs of Chas Bowes' Twitter screengrabs of his own text exchanges with Matt O Toole and tried to claim they were Varadkar's texts.

Jesus dude. No one gives a sh1t about this anymore. Have you looked at the top headlines. We're only at Thursday morning and this is already old news.

More interesting stuff going on in the US.

I couldn't give a shiny shyte about the US Patrick, you keeping insisting the story is dead makes you look like an extra from a Monty Python sketch show. :D

I couldn't give a shiny shyte about the US Patrick, you keeping insisting the story is dead makes you look like an extra from a Monty Python sketch show. :D

Why don't you throw up one of those screengrabs you do from Twitter showing the top trends in Ireland? I am sure Leo is still at the top of them if you are right.

The funniest today was the posters who put up screengrabs of Chas Bowes' Twitter screengrabs of his own text exchanges with Matt O Toole and tried to claim they were Varadkar's texts.
    Didnt you just assume that without it being indicated? Wow, a lot of spin going on even in here. No wonder you love him.

The saddest are the posters who scramble to dismiss people's concerns about lack of accountability and describe a Taoiseach going on a solo run to facilitate a request by a personal friend for a confidential document (and the person in question has admitted doing so) as a non-story.

It's bloody heart breaking how little value some posters put on good governance and standards in public office.

Me, I don't care what party a dodgy politician is a member of - I want them nowhere near our legislative processes if they cannot act with propriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why don't you throw up one of those screengrabs you do from Twitter showing the top trends in Ireland? I am sure Leo is still at the top of them if you are right.

Lol not even in the top ten , but there is probably a trump type conspiracy theory related to why

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Peadar Toibin looking for ZeroCraic to face a Dail Committee now.

• Advertisement

IMG-20201105-154948.jpg

Can't be sure, but I think #LeoTheLiar which is trending in Ireland, has something to do with what we are discussing.

Ouch.

See, now Peader Toibin would not be a politician I have much time for politically. Aontú will never ever ever get a vote from me - but I was impressed by his questioning of LV, and I continue to be impressed by his persistence in looking for answers.

Conversely I have great time for Catherine Murphy, I do vote SD - but Catherine was awful when questioning LV.

This is bigger than party politics - this goes to the heart of how this country has been governed, is being governed, and will be governed in the future.
    Dismissing this as a non-story now gives carte blanc to future Taoisigh to act unilaterally,cast aside procedure, and slip confidential info to mates.
    Will the naysayers be happy if that future Taoiseach is from a party they dislike? Will they accept a 'my bad, never did it before, won't do it again' as the end of it?

I bloody won't. I'll be saying see - this is what happens when tribalism is allowed to dictate what is and is not acceptable you flaming planks.

IMG-20201105-154948.jpg

Can't be sure, but I think #LeoTheLiar which is trending in Ireland, has something to do with what we are discussing.

Ouch.

Is it? That is the "For you" section which just shows you your own little world of Twitter.

Getting outside your own circle, that isn't trending.

Can they do that ?

Is it not a matter for the gardai now ?

See, now Peader Toibin would not be a politician I have much time for politically. Aontú will never ever ever get a vote from me - but I was impressed by his questioning of LV, and I continue to be impressed by his persistence in looking for answers.

Conversely I have great time for Catherine Murphy, I do vote SD - but Catherine was awful when questioning LV.

This is bigger than party politics - this goes to the heart of how this country has been governed, is being governed, and will be governed in the future.
    Dismissing this as a non-story now gives carte blanc to future Taoisigh to act unilaterally,cast aside procedure, and slip confidential info to mates.
    Will the naysayers be happy if that future Taoiseach is from a party they dislike? Will they accept a 'my bad, never did it before, won't do it again' as the end of it?

I bloody won't. I'll be saying see - this is what happens when tribalism is allowed to dictate what is and is not acceptable you flaming planks.

Peadar was good and got two answers from LV that he hadn't planned on giving.

LV said that he believed the doc was confidential and that he previously leaked docs .

Catherine was great on Siteserv but she has been very poor lately in getting her points across and has been slow to pick up on openings anytime I've seen or heard her in the media

IMG-20201105-154948.jpg

Ouch.

Not here https://www.tweeplers.com/trendingtopics/?cc=IE
    Nor here https://trends24.in/ireland/dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How is it ridiculous?

Can you show us proof of this government decision to engage with the NAGP?

Because given that they weren't included in the negotiations, it certainly seems like the opposite was the govt stance. Doubly so, given that Minister for Health Simon Harris refused to engage with the head of the NAGP when the latter requested a copy of the contract!

Yet here it is, an article from two hours ago is in the top read section of the Irish Times.

attachment.php?attachmentid=531893&d=1604592815

• Advertisement

Doesn't show up on the top list on Twitter in Ireland anywhere for me.

Just confirms what I say about Twitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement