Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Very entertaining to see how many people were predicting that this was the end of Varadkar. The end of this government. A massive scandal. Basing the levels of outrage on their own online twitter bubble where people spend their days retweeting cranks Mick Caul and Paddy Cosgrave.

Big smile on my face reading this thread watching the initial glee now turn to anger as your dreams were dashed and the world moves on. :)

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    The dog ate my phone

Ah the Callinan defence.

Very entertaining to see how many people were predicting that this was the end of Varadkar. The end of this government. A massive scandal. Basing the levels of outrage on their own online twitter bubble where people spend their days retweeting cranks Mick Caul and Paddy Cosgrave.

Big smile on my face reading this thread watching the initial glee now turn to anger as your dreams were dashed and the world moves on. :)

I forgot to add all the desperate "The village have more to come...they're drip feeding us.... There's a bigger scandal to come...." Very funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think Leo will survive this. He just has to hope no evidence emerges of him leaking other documents. He won't be going off on any solo runs anymore. I'd say some Fianna Fail members were happy to get an opportunity to rein Leo in.

Apart from McSharry today, I cant think of any FF TDs calling it for what it is, a fairy tale.

• Advertisement

No anger here at all dude. Brand Leo is damaged and the FF lads can now rein in his nonsense for giving their support. Simon C. eyeing the Taoiseach's office when the mime artist from Cork is done.
    Leo's arrogance has given this government badly needed stability.

I forgot to add all the desperate "The village have more to come...they're drip feeding us.... There's a bigger scandal to come...." Very funny stuff.

Leo got the smile wiped off his face today. Very funny alright Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

When you make Simon Harris look good you know you're a terrible Tanaiste!Will go down with the Brian Cowens of the world as one of the worst Taoiseachs.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    When you make Simon Harris look good you know you're a terrible Tanaiste!Will go down with the Brian Cowens of the world as one of the worst Taoiseachs.

Deluded. Simply deluded.

History is going to look very kindly on Leo. A historical first gay Taoiseach who is exceptionally well respected internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Apart from McSharry today, I cant think of any FF TDs calling it for what it is, a fairy tale.

Privately most of them are delighted to see Leo humbled.
    Of course they'll row in behind him in public, Fianna Fowl are low in the polls. Mc Sharry really hates Micheal Martin, so i'm not too surprised by him being the dissenting voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I have to say that even to my aged eyes this thread has been an eye opener.
    I'm a 'non-party' voter and always have been (though hands up I will admit to a very slight lean towards FF)
    I tend to vote for the man and not the party and in the past have probably voted for candidates from just about every party bar the Greens.

What I have garnered from this thread is that I will never again vote for a FG candidate regardless of my personal thoughts on the candidate themselves.
    The absolute tribalism and blind loyalty to 'The Party' is shocking. Loyalty is admirable, blind loyalty is a character fault.

It's not just the posters on here, none of whom have directly addressed the issue at hand BTW and just admitted that he was wrong, it's their own party officials, none of whom have come out and publicly admitted that he was wrong to do what he did. To be fair to FF they hate each other as much as they hate any other parties and they're not slow to condemn their own when needs be. FG completely circle the wagons and not one of them is man enough or has the liathróidí to stand up and say he was wrong. In fact Leo is the only one who has come out and said he was wrong !!

One question I'd like to ask of the blind faithful here (if any of them are kind enough to answer..).
    Where do you draw the line ? What action or perceived action would lead you to say "Ah here... enough is enough... he/she was wrong there and is bang out of order.." Where is that line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who said there is a 'bigger scandal' to come?

It's a big enough scandal as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So what it comes down to is the text that could have proved when he sent the document is missing. So there will need to be a more thorough investigation to ascertain when exactly the document was sent. There's surely evidence of that detail somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It is really sad that some people are so in thrall to tribalism that they would prefer a lack of accountability and ethics in government to seeing one of 'their team' be sanctioned for impropriety.

Loyalty can be a great thing, but when that loyalty is to a political party at the expense of the welfare of the country then it's a dangerous, stupid, and short-sighted curse.

To all those who seek to gloss over this as a 'non-story' I guarantee you in the future another party - one you dislike - and another Taoiseach will pull a similar stunt and there will be F all you cheerleaders for Leo will be able to say about it as you have given tacit permission for stunts like this to continue.

You are making a cross not just for your own backs, but for the backs of your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Indo suggesting IMO silence might be bought.
    Its behind a paywall.

Headline
    IMO’s silence could be costly for the taxpayer if Government rewards it for keeping quiet

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/imos-silence-could-be-costly-for-the-taxpayer-if-government-rewards-it-for-keeping-quiet-39709020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bannasidhe wrote: »

You are making a cross not just for your own backs, but for the backs of your children.

:D:D good one.

Deluded. Simply deluded.

History is going to look very kindly on Leo. A historical first gay Taoiseach who is exceptionally well respected internationally.

The Brits accused him of leaking Brexit negotiation information, I doubt he's as respected as you think he is. This latest confirmation that Leo can't be trusted with confidential information will have others view him differently. The story made international news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Indo suggesting IMO silence might be bought.
    Its behind a paywall.

Headline
    IMO’s silence could be costly for the taxpayer if Government rewards it for keeping quiet

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/imos-silence-could-be-costly-for-the-taxpayer-if-government-rewards-it-for-keeping-quiet-3970]

Leo Varadkar spent two hours talking about his leaking controversy on Tuesday evening.

Micheál Martin has been defending him since Monday and did two sessions of Leader’s Questions on the debacle. Almost every TD in Fine Gael has been sent out to bat for the Taoiseach on the airwaves. Fine Gael must have run out of backbenchers on Tuesday because Fianna Fáil junior minister Niall Collins showed up on RTE’s Prime Time to throw his full support behind Leo Varadkar.

Some of Collins’s Fianna Fáil colleagues, such as Jim O’Callaghan and Marc MacSharry, have been less supportive of the Tánaiste.

The opposition has also had its say as it tried to inflict the most damage possible on the Coalition.

We have even heard from Leo Varadkar’s GP friend Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail, whose private text messages have been plastered all over the national media and even read into the record of the Dáil.

But we have yet to hear from one of the main protagonists in this political saga – the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO). The IMO is keeping its powder so dry it would make you wonder if we will ever hear from it again.

The doctors’ union has every right to have its say on this political fiasco. It was a document it confidentially agreed with the Government that ended up in the hands of a rival union.

At the time, the relationship between the IMO and the National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP) was far from collegial.

Even before this leak emerged, the IMO believed the now disbanded NAGP was seeking to undermine it privately and publicly as part of an attempt to lure members over to its union.

It was a particularly poisonous rivalry, perfectly depicted in some of the more colourful text messages sent by Dr Ó Tuathail and the rest of the so-called ‘NAGP Inner Sanctum’.

The leaking of the contract by Leo Varadkar to the NAGP is not seen as a benevolent act within the IMO. Its members certainly do not believe the NAGP wanted to get a hold of the contract to convince its members to sign up. They believe quite the opposite in fact.

They believe the NAGP got a hold of the contract so it could poke holes in it and highlight the contract’s failings in a bid to convince IMO members that their union got them a bad deal.

The IMO is not shocked by the leaking of the document to Dr Ó Tuathail. Leaking is part and parcel of pay negotiations and is regularly used by unions to influence talks. However, some in the IMO were taken aback by the brazenness of Varadkar, posting it to his friend’s house days after it was agreed.

Which brings us back to the question: why has the union so far kept mum on the controversy?

One reason is it wants to bank the political capital ahead of future pay talks with the Government. Getting involved in what is essentially a political row will not help the IMO next time it’s seated at the negotiating table with Cabinet ministers, especially if its public comments forced one of them to resign.

But its silence may be a costly one for taxpayers if the Government rewards IMO members for keeping schtum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McMurphy wrote: »

The IMO is not shocked by the leaking of the document to Dr Ó Tuathail. Leaking is part and parcel of pay negotiations and is regularly used by unions to influence talks. However, some in the IMO were taken aback by the brazenness of Varadkar, posting it to his friend’s house days after it was agreed.

Interesting paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My point exactly.

Let's be honest.

There has been no crime committed.

If there was the village know they would be in trouble for not disclosing it.

How do you come up with this gobbledey gook?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

The IMO is not shocked by the leaking of the document to Dr Tuathail. Leaking is part and parcel of pay negotiations and is regularly used by unions to influence talks. However, some in the IMO were taken aback by the brazenness of Varadkar, posting it to his friend’s house days after it was agreed.

Interesting paragraph.

I thought this one is more damning of Varadkar.
    The leaking of the contract by Leo Varadkar to the NAGP is not seen as a benevolent act within the IMO. Its members certainly do not believe the NAGP wanted to get a hold of the contract to convince its members to sign up. They believe quite the opposite in fact.

They believe the NAGP got a hold of the contract so it could poke holes in it and highlight the contract’s failings in a bid to convince IMO members that their union got them a bad deal

Interesting paragraph.

They believe the NAGP got a hold of the contract so it could poke holes in it and highlight the contract’s failings in a bid to convince IMO members that their union got them a bad deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jesus dude. No one gives a sh1t about this anymore. Have you looked at the top headlines. We're only at Thursday morning and this is already old news.

More interesting stuff going on in the US.

You came into this hurling abuse and telling us it was a non story. Didnt pan out over in the Maria Bailey thread either.
    Was featured on Drive Time today and they are calling for Leo's pal to appear before committee.
    Won't be going anywhere for a little bit..
    Sure he did nothing bad so let them at it, what could possibly go wrong?

The IMO is not shocked by the leaking of the document to Dr Tuathail. Leaking is part and parcel of pay negotiations and is regularly used by unions to influence talks. However, some in the IMO were taken aback by the brazenness of Varadkar, posting it to his friend’s house days after it was agreed.

Interesting paragraph.

What part of it specifically was interesting?

Interesting paragraph.

What part of it specifically was interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Careful now or you might be accused of being a homophobe.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

One question I'd like to ask of the blind faithful here (if any of them are kind enough to answer..).
    Where do you draw the line ? What action or perceived action would lead you to say "Ah here... enough is enough... he/she was wrong there and is bang out of order.." Where is that line ?

Great question. They wont answer but on some controversies I found myself thinking that some of the most blinkered would have loved living in Germany from 1929-1939.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The same three or four posters keep coming back every evening to gleefully declare that we all have egg on our faces, storm in a teacup etc etc. Happening ever couple of dozen pages. Telling people in here they're cranks. All done without a shred of irony.

Bowie wrote: »
    You came into this hurling abuse and telling us it was a non story. Didnt pan out over in the Maria Bailey thread either.
    Was featured on Drive Time today and they are calling for Leo's pal to appear before committee.
    Won't be going anywhere for a little bit..
    Sure he did nothing bad so let them at it, what could possibly go wrong?

Gardai, Dail Authorities and public standards watchdog all investigating plus a call gone out for Zero Craic to appear before Dail Committee according to Gavin Reilly.

Paddy says it's a non story.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Gardai, Dail Authorities and public standards watchdog all investigating plus a call gone out for Zero Craic to appear before Dail Committee according to Gavin Reilly.

Paddy says it's a non story.

Wow that would be brilliant to see doc savage himself getting pierced by doherty too..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement