Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Half truths and half lies.

When is a friend not a friend?

It is not illegal, just unethical and wrong.

He gave it so it could be used to convince other doctors to join the scheme, but it wasn't passed on to the other doctors.

The Minister for Health had declined to give it to Leo's not-friend, so this not-friend approached the Taoiseach who did provide it without reference to the Health Minister.

Now Leo is no friend of mine, so I wonder would he give me a few confidential documents?

His story is just a load of waffle. He is just not trustworthy, and the more waffle he comes out with the less believable he becomes.

A friend is not a friend when they're an acquaintance? Neither you or I know their relationship so why present opinion as fact?

And you inferred that the act was illegal in your previous post, which is not true. At least unproven. And you go on to change your story from it being illegal to it being unethical and wrong. So you, like Leo, are not very trustworthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have to say that even to my aged eyes this thread has been an eye opener.
    I'm a 'non-party' voter and always have been (though hands up I will admit to a very slight lean towards FF)
    I tend to vote for the man and not the party and in the past have probably voted for candidates from just about every party bar the Greens.

What I have garnered from this thread is that I will never again vote for a FG candidate regardless of my personal thoughts on the candidate themselves.
    The absolute tribalism and blind loyalty to 'The Party' is shocking. Loyalty is admirable, blind loyalty is a character fault.

It's not just the posters on here, none of whom have directly addressed the issue at hand BTW and just admitted that he was wrong, it's their own party officials, none of whom have come out and publicly admitted that he was wrong to do what he did. To be fair to FF they hate each other as much as they hate any other parties and they're not slow to condemn their own when needs be. FG completely circle the wagons and not one of them is man enough or has the liathróidí to stand up and say he was wrong. In fact Leo is the only one who has come out and said he was wrong !!

One question I'd like to ask of the blind faithful here (if any of them are kind enough to answer..).
    Where do you draw the line ? What action or perceived action would lead you to say "Ah here... enough is enough... he/she was wrong there and is bang out of order.." Where is that line ?

I am the same as you but I have no leaning towards any party. All I would like is to see a government that is working for the country and not for themselves and just throwing scraps out to the country. I am also sick of the cronyism and other crap they get up to, how the rules that apply to everyone do not apply to them, infact as they are rules/law makers it should apply more to them that anyone else.

I do wonder on here the folks showing the blind loyalty, we even have one that claims they are a green, are they serious or just Trolls and windups? They never address the issue and always just say what about A B and C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Partner of a prominent politician who thinks it’s acceptable to leak state agreements has entered the chat ...

It’s called realpolitik. It might surprise you to hear this but information is passed along unofficial channels all the time. Far more deals are made on the golf course than in the halls of the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

VonLuck wrote: »
    A friend is not a friend when they're an acquaintance? Neither you or I know their relationship so why present opinion as fact?

And you inferred that the act was illegal in your previous post, which is not true. At least unproven. And you go on to change your story from it being illegal to it being unethical and wrong. So you, like Leo, are not very trustworthy!

You need to go back and look again.

You were the one who introduced the question of illegality. I made no such inference, in fact I stated it was not illegal, but unethical and wrong.

And I did not say it was a fact that they were friends.

I questioned when was a friend not a friend, maybe when he is a friend of a friend, as you pointed out.

So you, like Leo, are clearly prone to gaffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s called realpolitik. It might surprise you to hear this but information is passed along unofficial channels all the time. Far more deals are made on the golf course than in the halls of the Dáil.

Ah you can be quite sure it doesn’t surprise me, but when caught and caught blatantly it should not go unpunished.

Makes it’s more acceptable for your partner and those who follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

This is probably true, but I hope they aren't passing around documents marked Confidential/not for circulation

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Leo admitted his actions were wrong, so not sure why there are people saying they weren't. This whole defend your party at all costs attitude is extremely outdated, immature and just plain embarrassing. He messed up, he's admitted it, I don't know if he should resign per se, but he objectively did the wrong thing. The sky won't fall in if you admit your favourite politician did the wrong thing, defending it is just very weak and cringy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rostalof wrote: »

Leo must have been a beta tester. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That is all fine and dandy doing deals on the golf course or where ever but when that deal is then drawn up in a contract and is marked confidential and not for distribution then it should not be shared with anyone who is not involved in that deal. Why is this so hard to understand or is this just defend at all costs no matter how much the excuse is bull? And why is there this defend at all costs attitude from these folks even after Varadkar has admitted it is wrong and the Taoiseach has said it was wrong why are people still saying it wasn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭VonLuck

You were the one who introduced the question of illegality. I made no such inference, in fact I stated it was not illegal, but unethical and wrong.

And I did not say it was a fact that they were friends.

This is literally what you said:
    Once caught, Varadker and his spinners started to try to minimise the damage by telling half truths/half lies, about what happened.

It was already in the public domain, he was not really a friend, it is not illegal etc.

All debunked by subsequent Dail questions.

Maybe you have a different definition of "debunked" but to my reading that means that MO'T not really being a friend and it not being illegal was proven to be a lie in the Dáil.

I don't care what opinion you have, but please don't present it as fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Cringe boomer has entered the chat
    They way you’re mashing the keyboard with your fat hands I’d say you’re no stranger to pies yourself.

AdrianBalboa do not post in this thread again

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And in other news, following assurances provided that they will not dump twitter links or gifs, certainly without some narrative explaining relevance, caveat emptor's threadban is lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I understand that there is a desire to limit Twitter links but I think this one from Bowes is relevant.

He has said there will be more news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1324479885054795777?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Niall Collins is now batting for Leo on VMTV, there will a whole load of s**t to hit the fan! I can see FF's boiling over watching this!

Niall Collins: Leo Varadkar has been let off because Sinn Fein something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Niall Collins is now batting for Leo on VMTV, there will a whole load of s**t to hit the fan! I can see FF's boiling over watching this!

Just watched it. At least it wasn't a shouting/interrupting match but it did go over the same old ground.

Collins even said he thinks the public have accepted Leo's apology..

Imagine that from FF.

Just watched it. At least it wasn't a shouting/interrupting match but it did go over the same old ground.

Imagine that from FF.

:D:D It's all gonna end in tears. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

This thread is now an impossibly tedious read for the more casual visitor to this forum. Same few bald men going around fighting over a comb.

The men are bald now? Shows how long this issue has been debated for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Imagine that from FF.

Oh dear ... 😝

• Advertisement

I understand that there is a desire to limit Twitter links but I think this one from Bowes is relevant.

He has said there will be more news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1324479885054795777?s=19

Why wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why wait?

Reduces his time to respond before the press gets into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why wait?

rNfe6mUeRrbkFAgXfA8ne8Df2nomn_qjT08idb6BbHTPoC_UR99KHy1hDgZ6qAca1ErQK1E-9dFevdTZ4kb0jX8Lq1A7v5-6MqjSgjX3YQc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

McMurphy wrote: »
    rNfe6mUeRrbkFAgXfA8ne8Df2nomn_qjT08idb6BbHTPoC_UR99KHy1hDgZ6qAca1ErQK1E-9dFevdTZ4kb0jX8Lq1A7v5-6MqjSgjX3YQc

Will we find out he has a grow house in which he was growing pots in which to boil frogs?

Why wait?

They are a business as well, the more traffic this drives to their magazine the better for them.

Of course that is a double edged sword, because they have to deliver or lose credibility.

Which means this is not going away anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They are a business as well, the more traffic this drives to their magazine the better for them.

Of course that is a double edged sword, because they have to deliver or lose credibility.

Which means this is not going away anytime soon.

Yep, seems to be working too.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1324467163160301569?s=19

Is this another pathetic attempt to have the thread closed?
    Although I understand it's incomprehensible for some, but not everyone that dislikes FG is by default a Shinner.

In truth, could one expect any less. Track record is rather consistent with the usual suspect(s) trying to derail threads where prominent members of FG are portrayed in a rather unflattering light. This flimsy effort at manipulating the narrative speaks of an enormous inferiority complex. And as you bring forth in your latter statement, SF is universally the colourful vehicle deployed to attract flak which only the gullible and ignorant take aim at. The rest of us are keenly aware that the story is going nowhere, despite vocal protestations to the contrary. Leo has been somewhat tainted by this controversy, and by proxy a poor reputation will not transfer kindly at the ballot box for FG.

In truth, could one expect any less. Track record is rather consistent with the usual suspect(s) trying to derail threads where prominent members of FG are portrayed in a rather unflattering light. This flimsy effort at manipulating the narrative speaks of an enormous inferiority complex. And as you bring forth in your latter statement, SF is universally the colourful vehicle deployed to attract flak which only the gullible and ignorant take aim at. The rest of us are keenly aware that the story is going nowhere, despite vocal protestations to the contrary. Leo has been somewhat tainted by this controversy, and by proxy a poor reputation will not transfer kindly at the ballot box for FG.

The interesting thing in this is the political fallout. I don't think even the more ardent FGer or FFer believes that Leo would have survived had they not not merged.

The coalition dealing with this has been a revelation in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Verbose to the point of unreadable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

See above^

Then when they lose the logical debate/discussion attack your use of words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement