Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

They are a business as well, the more traffic this drives to their magazine the better for them.

Of course that is a double edged sword, because they have to deliver or lose credibility.

Which means this is not going away anytime soon.

I’m not on Twitter but followed a link to Chat Bowes. I think the manner in which he and cosgrove are communicating on that platform is taking away from the actual issues. Shows a lack of maturity. I would think the best method to communicate this is through the village site. Maybe it’s me as I don’t use or read Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

In truth, could one expect any less. Track record is rather consistent with the usual suspect(s) trying to derail threads where prominent members of FG are portrayed in a rather unflattering light. This flimsy effort at manipulating the narrative speaks of an enormous inferiority complex. And as you bring forth in your latter statement, SF is universally the colourful vehicle deployed to attract flak which only the gullible and ignorant take aim at. The rest of us are keenly aware that the story is going nowhere, despite vocal protestations to the contrary. Leo has been somewhat tainted by this controversy, and by proxy a poor reputation will not transfer kindly at the ballot box for FG.

Not sure how much traction its gaining apart from on here or twitter.
    Corona Virus is dominating peoples attention here atm, we are in lockdown and will be to within a few weeks of xmas.
    People are more worried and concerned with that.
    The American election is a drama and more attention is being paid to the corruption allegations there, it will rumble on even after the results are finally declared.
    Theres genuine unrest there and violent protests and even terror attacks are possible there it seems.
    Unless strong evidence of more substance is brought forward against Leo it will die down imo despite the actions in the Dail.
    Notwithstanding that some of our most popular politicians in the past have been known to be up to their arses in dodgy dealings and been voted in. We still vote in known corrupt TD's.
    You mention SF and without bashing them I mention their own contraversies and there are some, which can be bandied out there.
    And if this govt lasts its term, this will be just a footnote by 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Not sure how much traction its gaining apart from on here or twitter.
    Corona Virus is dominating peoples attention here atm, we are in lockdown and will be to within a few weeks of xmas.
    People are more worried and concerned with that.
    The American election is a drama and more attention is being paid to the corruption allegations there, it will rumble on even after the results are finally declared.
    Theres genuine unrest there and violent protests and even terror attacks are possible there it seems.
    Unless strong evidence of more substance is brought forward against Leo it will die down imo despite the actions in the Dail.
    Notwithstanding that some of our most popular politicians in the past have been known to be up to their arses in dodgy dealings and been voted in. We still vote in known corrupt TD's.
    You mention SF and without bashing them I mention their own contraversies and there are some, which can be bandied out there.
    And if this govt lasts its term, this will be just a footnote by 2025.

I think you’re wrong on this. I think Leo is damaged in a very lasting way and no one with an ounce of cop on will trust him again. He may well stay, the main outcome of that is contagion on to his party and all his government colleagues. Much more than I’d be prepared to do for a colleague who did something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think if Leo was honourable, he would fall on his own sword, so to speak. The upshot of his wrongdoing is that it is not only harming himself but others in FG and FF also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think if Leo was honourable, he would fall on his own sword, so to speak. The upshot of his wrongdoing is that it is not only harming himself but others in FG and FF also.

i know some FF folk - they are furious with MM.
    MM could fall over this and not Leo, that would be politics at its finest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

paw patrol wrote: »
    i know some FF folk - they are furious with MM.
    MM could fall over this and not Leo, that would be politics at its finest

Surely if that happened FF would go be looking for Varadkar to resign then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,701 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you’re wrong on this. I think Leo is damaged in a very lasting way and no one with an ounce of cop on will trust him again. He may well stay, the main outcome of that is contagion on to his party and all his government colleagues. Much more than I’d be prepared to do for a colleague who did something similar.

If you mean by damaged that #LeotheLeak will still be on some people's Twitter feeds in 10 years time, then yes. But those people never voted and never will vote for Leo, so I don't see it as a huge issue.

He will be down popularity in the next opinion poll, but that won't necessarily last.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,720 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you mean by damaged that #LeotheLeak will still be on some people's Twitter feeds in 10 years time, then yes. But those people never voted and never will vote for Leo, so I don't see it as a huge issue.

He will be down popularity in the next opinion poll, but that won't necessarily last.

The thing about losing trust is you invariably never get it back. Certainly not in a single electoral cycle. Brace yourself blanch, Leo will not be leading FG into another election. Lame duck leader at this stage.
    Huge risk for FG that something else (that he has inadvertently let slip that he routinely does) comes out in the middle of an election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

'Pressure growing on Tanaiste' 'Shadow growing over coalition', RTE reportage shifting in tone.

So far, seems like the classic lead up to a resignation.

Seems like you were wrong... again. :)

markodaly wrote: »
    Seems like you were wrong... again. :)

What in the world would make you think that?

Gardai have actioned a complaint against him, SIPO asked to investigate, witnesses being called in front of committee, Dáil Ethics Committee having a look and out there in the ether there is the threat of more to come?

It ain't over yet Mark...stop the Trumpian 'calling it early' lad.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Surely if that happened FF would go be looking for Varadkar to resign then.

yeah probably but who knows maybe FG would bring down the government and take their chances with the electorate

Wrongly imo, people like harris and Leo seem to have some favourable PR from the initial covid scare while MM and FF do not.
    I dunno tbh, I'm just an independent disgruntled voter who reads the news.

Gardai have actioned a complaint against him, SIPO asked to investigate, witnesses being called in front of committee, Dáil Ethics Committee having a look and out there in the ether there is the threat of more to come?

It seems the Trumpian witch-hunt continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Over egging it there, Trump-style, when there is little else there to be seen.
    The story is done unless The Village is holding something major back which is unlikely given their amateur hour of releasing this story the weekend before a US presidential election. They are not a serious outfit.

Leo is not going to resign over this matter, no matter what you and the other chums think about it.

This story will be forgotten about in a few weeks, as we move into more Covid, Brexit matters, and who knows what will go on in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

paw patrol wrote: »
    yeah probably but who knows maybe FG would bring down the government and take their chances with the electorate

Wrongly imo, people like harris and Leo seem to have some favourable PR from the initial covid scare while MM and FF do not.
    I dunno tbh, I'm just an independent disgruntled voter who reads the news.

One thing that will happen in the next election is Ryan and his bunch of spineless yes men will be wiped out.

The story is done unless The Village is holding something major back which is unlikely given their amateur hour of releasing this story the weekend before a US presidential election. They are not a serious outfit.

Leo is not going to resign over this matter, no matter what you and the other chums think about it.

This story will be forgotten about in a few weeks, as we move into more Covid, Brexit matters, and who knows what will go on in the States.

Pretty much sums up all that is wrong with the irish political establishment there,

we wont bother with accountability,

just ride out critism.when caught doing wrong in hope that people will forget

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Whatshisname is crying wolf at this stage.

Poor enough.

I was expecting a political whirlwind this morning?

" more to come " my eye.

He will start singing A G A G R A G R O next, the guy seems like some sort of a simpleton.

Crying wolf.

Ha ha ha, do you guys like to be reminded of the Maria Bailey (it will be over in a week) predictions?

Face it Mark, there is more to come here, one way or another. And I LOVE the fact that it will involve, very blatantly, FG and FF squirming and avoiding accountability.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    One thing that will happen in the next election is Ryan and his bunch of spineless yes men will be wiped out.

That day can't come soon enough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Didn't HQ update you?? Apparently the story is already old news and forgotten. You've the old script. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Both Damien English (who'll hopefully not be in the nip) and Marc MacSharry due on with Pat Kenny on NT soon to "talk about the weeks event's" anyone think the largest chunk of their chinwag will be about Leo and his leaky ways?

This'll be good, skin and hair could actually start flying.

• Advertisement

grayzer75 wrote: »

Won't bother the Greens, they will be happy with achieving lasting policy changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »
    Won't bother the Greens, they will be happy with achieving lasting policy changes.

They'll be easily reversed thankfully...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo has escaped this one.

Most Irish journalists watching CNN all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thanks for the update. Here was me thinking it still in all the papers, theres a Garda enquiry taking place and lots of other enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

theres a Garda enquiry taking place and lots of other enquiries.

But is there ?

Leo has several inquiries ahead of him, he has escaped nothing yet. US elections attract interest because of it's soap opera theatrics. People will tire quickly of US elections once it is clear Biden won it. You can see interest diminishing already. You are looking at months of litigation and recounts there.

Meanwhile, Leo will be coming under the spotlight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I disagree, ministers survive once the heat has been taken out of it.

Irish journalist obsession with American politics and media is a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Varadkar’s credibility is obviously shot, and that won’t change, it will ease in the memory but will be remembered for him. But for FF, man they just can’t buy a break since February, Martin, Collins and all the senior FF figures having to come out to bat for an FG leader figuratively caught with his fingers in the till, you really couldn’t make it up, I presume up and down the country the party is being riven by this and division, defend and prop up Varadkar and FG, or bring him down and most likely force an election, a no-win situation, McSharry and presumably others (more cutely) like O’Cuiv, Lahart sniping away on the sidelines, et tu Marc, they were at 11% in the last poll, will be interesting to see what the next poll shows, irrespective of the poll it has to be a party in implosion. In the long term I think propping up Varadkar will do more damage to the party than if they had sought his head and took their chance on the consequences, it would show they stood for something. Why would somebody vote for FF in the future, a vote for FF is effectively a vote for FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Gardai have to investigate every complaint
    Its very very unlikely that these ones will go anywhere IMO unless there's concrete evidence other than screengrabs of whatsapps
    Those coming from Bowes phone are unverifiable unless All whatsapp records are sequestered
    Not sure if Paddy and Chay have thought of that one
    If there's any evidence of those two conspiring to create this story,it will show there
    They better not have anything like that on their whatsapp conversations. It could be that they are only interested in sowing seeds here and aren't expecting a garda case
    But like I've said all through,that's just monumental incompetence, they should have waited untill an election campaign
    Grudges alone,which they certainly have in abundance are not enough
    You need solid evidence
    If gardai don't prosecute they're toast

Just being realistic

• Advertisement

I disagree, ministers survive once the heat has been taken out of it.

Irish journalist obsession with American politics and media is a real problem.

I think you are living in fantasy land tbh.

If O'Tuathill goes in front of the Dáil committee, the live coverage of that will be primetime TV, such will be the interest. a 'friend friend scorned' or 'a friend scorned'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement