Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

smurgen wrote: »
    This really is embarrassing. She is changing her story as she talks and contradicts herself multiple times. For her own sake and potential clients I hope she's still not giving legal advice.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1324686258472390658?s=19

Josepha owes them for SwingGate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,720 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If calling out government corruption and incompetence makes one a SF shill then I must be one as well. *Waves at francie*

Waving back.

SF got my vote for the first time in a GE this time. They will like as not, get it again in the next one, as this FF/FG/Green coalition demonstrates that a 'new politics' is never going to emerge as long as the power swap pertains.

FG in particular do not like it when anybody has the power to answer back to them.

That si what you are seeing when they label everyone in opposition or asking questions they don't want to answer as 'Shinners'.

I voted for SF but they certainly don't own that vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

markodaly wrote: »
    If you are going to complain about FG 'shills' are you also going to take aim at the top 3 posters of this thread, all of them SF supporters and voters?

fqqjxZJ.png

You're doing pretty well yourself over on the current Sinn Fein thread I see.
    Part timer in 6th place compared to your two buddies that take up 2nd and 3rd spots though.
    That thread actually does nothing but demonstrate the obsession your lot have for SF though. It's laughable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nobotty wrote: »
    They can do all the above
    But for criminal prosecution,the first thing they will have to do is determine if the document was at the time covered by cabinet confidentiality
    They'll also have to determine who had the authority to share it
    Both of those are where this prosecution can't proceed IMO

Surely SIPO and the Gardai can determine both those things?
    If they couldnt it would mean no member of government could ever be prosecuted for leaking confidential documents.

There are protocols in place for handling of confidential documents - if Leo requested release of said doc to MO'T there should be a paper trail of that request, otherwise it's an unauthorized, unrecorded release of sensitive information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

smurgen wrote: »
    I have no loyalty. When/if Sinn Fein are in power and making a balls of it I will be taking shots at them too. But until then I'll call out corruption and incompetence in the government.

No one buys that, because if you were honest about it, you would be having a go at SF in government in the North...

• Advertisement

Waving back.

SF got my vote for the first time in a GE this time. They will like as not, get it again in the next one, as this FF/FG/Green coalition demonstrates that a 'new politics' is never going to emerge as long as the power swap pertains.

FG in particular do not like it when anybody has the power to answer back to them.

That si what you are seeing when they label everyone in opposition or asking questions they don't want to answer as 'Shinners'.

I voted for SF but they certainly don't own that vote.

If they run Mícheál Mac Donncha in the next general election i might even vote for them myself

timmyntc wrote: »
    Surely SIPO and the Gardai can determine both those things?
    If they couldnt it would mean no member of government could ever be prosecuted for leaking confidential documents.

There are protocols in place for handling of confidential documents - if Leo requested release of said doc to MO'T there should be a paper trail of that request, otherwise it's an unauthorized, unrecorded release of sensitive information.

I suspect there is a reason why MM won't accede to publicly involving the Attorney General.

Most likely the AG has advised them at Cabinet that he would have to find against Varadkar.

If not, why not have the AG shut down the discussion of whether it was legal or not. Seems simple to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Part timer in 6th place compared to your two buddies that take up 2nd and 3rd spots though.
    That thread actually does nothing but demonstrate the obsession your lot have for SF though. It's laughable at this stage.

Marks in Australia, and still shinner obsessed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I love it when they start denying it, like as if no one has a clue:pac:

"more to come" ffs.

This guy Whatshisname is a charlatan of the highest order, I hear the lads in Harcourt street are in fits of laughter at him. Seemingly ringing them up several times a day, he would want to watch himself at this stage. What a donkey.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Marks in Australia, and still shinner obsessed.

Skippy, the shinner kangaroo! :)

• Advertisement

Now i have that theme tune stuck in my head.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I love it when they start denying it, like as if no one has a clue:pac:

"more to come" ffs.

This guy Whatshisname is a charlatan of the highest order, I hear the lads in Harcourt street are in fits of laughter at him. Seemingly ringing them up several times a day, he would want to watch himself at this stage. What a donkey.

Why?

Someone planning to nail a dead rat to his door, or accidentally copy and paste some child molestation accusations against him in a TUSLA file:confused:

Any chance you could clarify why he's in need of watching him self?

Why?

Someone planning to nail a dead rat to his door, or accidentally copy and paste some child molestation accusations against him in a TUSLA file:confused:

Any chance you could clarify why he's in need of watching him self?

Sinister stuff now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So it's all MO'T fault the document was confidential to him according to J Madigan, thank f**k I don't need legal advice if she's the caliber of what law society has on offer.

So it's all MO'T fault the document was confidential to him according to J Madigan, thank f**k I don't need legal advice if she's the caliber of what law society has on offer.

I am almost sympathetic to Maria Bailey now if she was relying on Josepha to offer her legal advice.

That's just short of the dog ate my homework from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

it wasn't. the opposition minister for health couldn't even get a copy.

The financial info was categorically in the public domain
    He clarified that request yesterday on news at one
    It was a legal copy of the agreement he was looking for at the time
    All the financial info was being shared with IMO to their members and was in the medical times
    So the commercially sensitive info angle just isn't there
    What we're left with is the law breaking re cabinet confidentiality and IMO thats not there as he was Taoiseach

However if he's done it again with something else as Tánaiste, he won't have that cover

They have no shame, but it appears they fear Leo more than I thought.
    All this is going to do is make the government close ranks and it will fail as most no-confidence motions do. In fact it has the potential to damage SF unless something else major drops. They didn't learn the lessons of their disaster of their local elections.

Brexit, Covid, the economy, Track and Trace.... there are lots of other things happening, yet they die on a hill for this?

Remember when this fails, they won't be able to do another no-confidence motion until well into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

All this is going to do is make the government close ranks and it will fail as most no-confidence motions do. In fact it has the potential to damage SF unless something else major drops. They didn't learn the lessons of their disaster of their local elections.

Brexit, Covid, the economy, Track and Trace.... there are lots of other things happening, yet they die on a hill for this?

Remember when this fails, they won't be able to do another no-confidence motion until well into next year.

It’ll damage FF and I suspect that’s the only motivation behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Tut tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I am almost sympathetic to Maria Bailey now if she was relying on Josepha to offer her legal advice.

That's just short of the dog ate my homework from her.

She'd get ya the electric chair for challenging a parking ticket I'd say. Real whiff of Lionel Hutz off her.

Mark...realpolitick here for a moment. Leo handed them this ball. This move is clearly to put pressure on FF and the Greens.

It's all Leo's to own here. His fault and his public perception going slowly down the drain. Also now making his coalition partners squirm.

Excellent opposition politics, from a political point of view. Something either FF or FG would have no issue doing if they were handed similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭ooter

After the reports coming out of the PP meeting the other day, surely a FF vote of confidence in Lieo is not going to go down well.

golfball37 wrote: »
    It’ll damage FF and I suspect that’s the only motivation behind it

Maybe but what's the point. FF backbench revolt to vote with SF, causing an election, with FF on 11% meaning those backbenchers lose their job?
    Yea, like that, is going to happen.

Also, do you honestly think SF really want to be in government? Like hell they would.

It would suit FG fine for FF or the Greens to pull the plug. They can swan off, into a new election, get circa 30% of the vote at the expense of FF and the Greens, SF get a nice chunk too, and go into government or try go into government with Labour, the SD, PBP/SOL, Greens and whoever else. FG can then sit back and watch the carnage that will follow with each and everyone on that side trying to outdo the other.

If they actually manage to form a government, even more fun for FG and FF if FF don't go into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Mark...realpolitick here for a moment. Leo handed them this ball. This move is clearly to put pressure on FF and the Greens.

It's all Leo's to own here. His fault and his public perception going slowly down the drain. Also now making his coalition partners squirm.

Excellent opposition politics, from a political point of view. Something either FF or FG would have no issue doing if they were handed similar.

Yep, and they don’t care that they’ll lose it and that they can’t motion another no confidence motion for a while after. We’re too early in the election cycle for a no-confidence motion to matter. They’re doing their best to drag out this story for all they can get but there’ll be no material change hen it’s over. Varadkar has been hurt a bit and maybe FF and the greens, not sure if it’ll bother their current supporters though. It might hurt them with growing their vote. There’ll be a few more scandals in the life of this Dáil, both for government parties and opposition, we’ll have to wait and see which stick most with the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Dont post in this thread again.

This move is clearly to put pressure on FF and the Greens.

There is no pressure as FF and the Greens will vote with the government, otherwise, they are effectively signing their own P45's. Its a done deal, everyone knows it.

It is clear what this is. Soundbite politics from SF. Not sure this is going to go down well. One can overreach as well you know. SF have gotten greedy, they had a good week in going after Leo, and instead of chalking it up as a win, they go for more and risk turning victory into a defeat.

Risky, especially at a time when Covid restrictions are really biting, and the Brexit talks are coming to a showdown. The average voter will see it as politicians being politicians and SF being right down there in the gutter with the lot of them.

Nah, its an own goal by SF. The press are going to push them hard on why they are doing this and they will be floundering to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

ooter wrote: »
    After the reports coming out of the PP meeting the other day, surely a FF vote of confidence in Lieo is not going to go down well.

They are twisting the knife in FF, over to you Marc and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

There is no pressure as FF and the Greens will vote with the government, otherwise, they are effectively signing their own P45's. Its a done deal, everyone knows it.

It is clear what this is. Soundbite politics from SF. Not sure this is going to go down well. One can overreach as well you know. SF have gotten greedy, they had a good week in going after Leo, and instead of chalking it up as a win, they go for more and risk turning victory into a defeat.

Risky, especially at a time when Covid restrictions are really biting, and the Brexit talks are coming to a showdown. The average voter will see it as politicians being politicians and SF being right down there in the gutter with the lot of them.

Nah, its an own goal by SF. The press are going to push them hard on why they are doing this and they will be floundering to explain.

I wouldn't think it's turning victory into defeat, FF are in turmoil over this, this is just another turn of the knife, showing the FF remnants that they will do anything to keep Varadkar and FG in power. Sinn Fein will lose the vote, but I presume winning the vote was never what this was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In fairness to Joespha she says a good mass, she should really stick to the altar rather than the plinth.

Motion of no confidence in Leo now, this ought to be good fun watching FFG coming out to defend him - all over again. Its going to be squeaky bum time in FF.

Lot of anger in here that this story just isnt going away and theres more on the way this weekend. Im not seeing much of this promised senior hurling going on either, we're still at Junior B level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement