Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Can motions of no confidence only be brought against government members? I presume it can’t be brought against any serving TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    They are twisting the knife in FF, over to you Marc and friends.

Id say secretly FG may be hoping for a FF self-immolation.
    Whatever happens, FG won't lose here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,720 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    The average voter will see it as politicians being politicians

The final final nail in Enda's 2011 'new politics' spiel and ultimately lies.

And all to save Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

markodaly wrote: »
    Id say secretly FG may be hoping for a FF self-immolation.
    Whatever happens, FG won't lose here.

FG credibility is already shot imo, nobody (other than the FG faithful obviously, and even they would admit it privately) would trust Varadkar again, but imo FF are suffering even more, they have nowhere to turn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And all to save Leo.

No. This is not about Leo anymore, it is about the government. The second SF issue that No Confidence motion, it is about the whole government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting development, I get a sense SF know more than their letting on and know Leo has pretty much dropped "his not so close friends", the wolves are out. Leo has been blessed with the media's obsession with the US election this week, timely distraction but another weekend of intrigue ahead.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Interesting development, I get a sense SF know more than their letting on and know Leo has pretty much dropped "his not so close friends", the wolves are out. Leo has been blessed with the media's obsession with the US election this week, timely distraction but another weekend of intrigue ahead.

I don't know who was responsible for the timing of this but it was pretty naïve at best, letting it out in the week of what was always going to be a dynamite US election, if they had waited another 2 weeks they might have had the floor to themselves for a week or 2. Even so, still a lot of damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Mehole was just asked about it on Sky News. First lines out was it has been dealt with but he did it whilst in charge in the previous government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is Leo becoming our trump ?

I don't know who was responsible for the timing of this but it was pretty naïve at best, letting it out in the week of what was always going to be a dynamite US election, if they had waited another 2 weeks they might have had the floor to themselves for a week or 2. Even so, still a lot of damage done.

Ordinarily this would have just taken down Leo.

But because these lads are so bad at shutting things down and getting out in front, it is engulfing the whole government at a rate of knots. The US elections is not making it go away at all.

• Advertisement

I agree, timing wasn't great but I'm happy to see Leo squirm a little longer, Arrogant and self serving, it was just astonishing he couldn't just keep his mouth shut for more than a day, his comments at the "Private" FG Party meeting, speaks voumnes on his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hubertj wrote: »
    Can motions of no confidence only be brought against government members? I presume it can’t be brought against any serving TD?
    That's called a general election! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Definitely, PD asked Varadkar fairly specific questions yesterday, which Leo answered emphatically.

But anyway. Check this out.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1324697572834004995?s=19

Leo told the truth now go away shinners. Are they for real?

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Mehole was just asked about it on Sky News. First lines out was it has been dealt with but he did it whilst in charge in the previous government.

Good man Mehole, that's the spirit Bury the little B@@lox on UK TV

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is Leo becoming our trump ?

His comments about NPHET would suggest so

McMurphy wrote: »
    Definitely, PD asked Varadkar fairly specific questions yesterday, which Leo answered emphatically.

But anyway. Check this out.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1324697572834004995?s=19

Leo told the truth now go away shinners. Are they for real?

Yes and it's actually the Truth that is the crux of his problem, what's that saying? The truth always hurts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Ordinarily this would have just taken down Leo.

But because these lads are so bad at shutting things down and getting out in front, it is engulfing the whole government at a rate of knots. The US elections is not making it go away at all.

As a bleary eyed late night watcher of cnn lately,I wouldn't be too sure of that :D
    This is the official opposition doing their job
    I'll be recording this debate though and skipping to the interesting bits if any
    2hrs of my life last Tuesday was enough!

I agree, timing wasn't great but I'm happy to see Leo squirm a little longer, Arrogant and self serving, it was just astonishing he couldn't just keep his mouth shut for more than a day, his comments at the "Private" FG Party meeting, speaks voumnes on his character.

As RTE reporter just said: 'this is going to run well into next week and beyond'.

We have already seen the almost unprecedented spectacle of Leo explaining in the Dáil (not nearly enough to end it) and now several inquiries coming and a motion of No Confidence.

Will we now see some FGers break ranks and call for a tourniquet to stem the flow of damage, ditch Leo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Nobotty wrote: »
    Gardai have to investigate every complaint
    Its very very unlikely that these ones will go anywhere IMO unless there's concrete evidence other than screengrabs of whatsapps
    Those coming from Bowes phone are unverifiable unless All whatsapp records are sequestered
    Not sure if Paddy and Chay have thought of that one
    If there's any evidence of those two conspiring to create this story,it will show there
    They better not have anything like that on their whatsapp conversations. It could be that they are only interested in sowing seeds here and aren't expecting a garda case
    But like I've said all through,that's just monumental incompetence, they should have waited untill an election campaign
    Grudges alone,which they certainly have in abundance are not enough
    You need solid evidence
    If gardai don't prosecute they're toast

Just being realistic
    Gardaí need evidence to prosecute, which is why they have investigations to find it. When they are investigating, I'm sure they'll come across plenty damning stuff. I wouldn't want Gardaí investigating me and I'm very law abiding.

I doubt Leo is delighted about this. I'm starting to feel a tiny twinge of sympathy and then I remember what a prick he was to the waiting staff in the restaurant I saw him in, and all the other sh!tty things he did that directly affect millions of people...

Good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So this will roll all the way to Tuesday at a minimum.Great timing by SF on the motion of no confidence, they can just sit back for the weekend and wait to see what comes out next from the Village before getting to fire it on Tuesday.

It will be interesting now to see what Ministers Leo is able to muster to defend him, he has already expended lots of political capital on this and it is fast running out. Martin must be loosing patience at this stage as well as getting it in the neck from his own party. Leo was supposed to draw a line under this last Tuesday but he failed utterly in that regard, next Tuesday the story will be 10 days old and yet again he will be explaining, and when you're explaining you're losing.

what does the motion of no confidence do? he is removed as tanaiste but remians TD? Or is it P45?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

might be an opportunity for the disgruntled back benchers in FF to give mehole the shove

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Hubertj wrote: »
    what does the motion of no confidence do? he is removed as tanaiste but remians TD? Or is it P45?

The Taoiseach & govt resigns - either govt formation again or a new election?

Actually since its just a motion of no confidence in Varadkar himself, I think he'll be gone as Minister & Tanaiste, but still remains a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

And all to save Leo.

Clever move by SF and good timing.

It just helps reinforce in the public's mind that FF and FG are the same entity.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Second headline on the 1400 news after Trump v Biden.

Not going away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If you are reading this thread and want a government that follows the rules, doesn’t endorse cronyism, doesn’t lie to those it serves etc.

Make sure you get in contact with your local FF TDs and councillors and let them know that.

If you are reading this thread and want a government that follows the rules, doesn’t endorse cronyism, doesn’t lie to those it serves etc.

Make sure you get in contact with your local FF TDs and councillors and let them know that.

i think the problem there is you won't find any politician or party in Ireland that follows rules, doesnt endorse croneyism, doesnt lie to those it serves..... Actually, pretty much the same anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nothing will happen Leo in the no confidence. It's about showing up FF/FG/Greens in their support of him. Driving home the point that FF/FG are the same, the Greens are still the willing mudguard and it will be added to the pile of reasons to move away from FF/FG. The Greens will drop off the radar again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Do SF always not have confidence in the government anyway!!????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement