Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Heather Humphries has gone missing. Has she been out defending Leo or is she keeping her head down so that a light is not shined on what she has been up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭ooter

Floppybits wrote: »
    And yet Regina Doherty is on the board of Pieta House. What she is doing on there and how was she appointed would make you wonder as she is no friend of the poor?

It was raised at leader's questions in the dail yesterday, an enquiry as to whether there was a conflict of interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Have lads spent the last week defending varadkar,without reading the article??

Its fairly clear,what this is about

So is Chay doing this for the good of the country or some other personal reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So is Chay doing this for the good of the country or some other personal reason?

The saga is about Leo leaking confidential information. What difference does it make if the source of Leo's behaviour was bugs bunny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

Sorry explain to be the Chay story again?

You mean his profile?

I wouldn't have Coveney, Harris or Pascal as spoiled brats.

But it's about people's different opinions obviously.

Tbh I'd say Coveney and Harris, especially Harris, are raging over this.

The texts actually show Harris acted properly and professionaly throughout in line with the government's decision to negotiate with the IMO. Varadkar went behind his Minister's back and provided a confidential contract to a pal.
    It's more than bad practice, it's indefensible.

• Advertisement

WicklaWolf wrote: »
    Tbh I'd say Coveney and Harris, especially Harris, are raging over this.

The texts actually show Harris acted properly and professionaly throughout in line with the government's decision to negotiate with the IMO. Varadkar went behind his Minister's back and provided a confidential contract to a pal.
    It's more than bad practice, it's indefensible.

Do you know or ever see Paddy Cosgrave out your way?

Would love to know more about him apart form the Web Summit stuff.

The saga is about Leo leaking confidential information. What difference does it make if the source of Leo's behaviour was bugs bunny?

You're totally right.

I just want to know why Chay is so adament on hanging Leo.

It seems personal, but as I said I don't know.

Nothing wrong with me asking for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Nobody in any of this did or is doing anything for the good of the country.

Some motivations are easy to pin down like the village magazine it's to sell more magazines.

Leo, it's hard to know exactly what his motivation was but it certainly wasn't to get GPs on board as claimed. 20% were IMO, 20% were NAGP, that leaves 40% unaligned. If it were for the good of the country he'd have leaked it to some helpful health journalist via a civil servant in the department of health.

You're totally right.

It deosnt seem to be personal to me

But varadkar has stuck.the knife into plenty of people to save himself,including doctors/consultants and local press in waterford (i know few fg members,who refused to canvass at last election over it)

Which caused people to examine further him,and when you strip away the hype/easy pass gets from press(until now).....there is no substance to him,just lie & lies then blames someone else when that runs out of road....

This whole incident has been very very damaging for him,alot more than those operating in the FG bubble seem to realise

You're totally right.

Here's my take, someone comes forward with information about an elected representative doing what he shouldn't be doing. Said representative doesn't deny it. Personal history of the whistleblower is irrelevant, we have only to go back several months to see the ending of the treatment metted out to another whistleblower.
    That's why I'm curious as to the interest in the messenger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This is an intriguing thread.
    I gotta tell ya; I've learned a lot about the Irish political system ..... well, especially those connected to the system.
    "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark", but the "state" here is the Irish one.

Kivaro wrote: »
    "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark", .

That'll be the Minks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

McMurphy wrote: »
    Aaaaand another thread opened on the subject, not bad for a story no-one has any interest in.

I'm not sure Boards reflects the thoughts of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

With all the Trump comparisons flying around it might be timely to remember that the first allegation of sleaze Leo faced as Taoiseach was for allegedly doing planning favours for Mr. Trump. A high rent version of Hughie 'Sterling' McElvaney, so to speak.

Are we going to see his career end with another one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With all the Trump comparisons flying around it might be timely to remember that the first allegation of sleaze Leo faced as Taoiseach was for allegedly doing planning favours for Mr. Trump. A high rent version of Hughie 'Sterling' McElvaney, so to speak.

Are we going to see his career end with another one?
    I remember that. And it didn't smell right at the time.
    He should go. But he needs to take 99% of ALL politicians in the Dail with him.
    We need a fresh start in this country. We do deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

You're totally right.

Im not sure if it's Leo he's personally against, I think it's more the corrupt system of awarding contracts and FGs role in it.

He thought O Tuathail could help him get CHI support from GPs and when he became aware of the doc that Leo sent he seen an opportunity for revenge.

It's just a theory but I think something must have have happened during his time with one or more of the following companies.

Quote from Village article:
    By 2007 the HSE had contracted Tara Healthcare to provide Hospital in the Home, a programme that moved patient care away from hospitals and into households, with an annual budget of almost €6.4 million. It was a commercial success, but the HSE decided against renewing the contract as a cost-cutting measure. VHI stepped in and bought the company, making Bowes the CEO of the newly formed VHI Hospital@home.

Bowes reluctantly left the company in 2011 and spent six years pursuing other interests. It was in 2017 he returned to healthcare and founded Community Hospital Ireland (CHI) with fellow entrepreneur Neil Pope. Like Tara Healthcare, CHI would focus on providing healthcare in patients’ homes and reinvest any profits into chronic illness prevention and treatment. In its early stages CHI seemed to enjoy strong institutional support both within the state and from clinical leaders.

The early signs for CHI were positive, but Bowes knew that for it to be a success, he needed partners. Particularly crucial would be the support of Ireland’s GP community, without which, Bowes thought, CHI would fail. Maitiú Ó Tuathail was the man Bowes thought could deliver this support

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Im not sure if it's Leo he's personally against, I think it's more the corrupt system of awarding contracts and FGs role in it.

I think something must have have happened during his time with the following companies

Quote from Village article:
    By 2007 the HSE had contracted Tara Healthcare to provide Hospital in the Home, a programme that moved patient care away from hospitals and into households, with an annual budget of almost €6.4 million. It was a commercial success, but the HSE decided against renewing the contract as a cost-cutting measure. VHI stepped in and bought the company, making Bowes the CEO of the newly formed VHI Hospital@home.

Bowes reluctantly left the company in 2011 and spent six years pursuing other interests. It was in 2017 he returned to healthcare and founded Community Hospital Ireland (CHI) with fellow entrepreneur Neil Pope. Like Tara Healthcare, CHI would focus on providing healthcare in patients’ homes and reinvest any profits into chronic illness prevention and treatment. In its early stages CHI seemed to enjoy strong institutional support both within the state and from clinical leaders.

The early signs for CHI were positive, but Bowes knew that for it to be a success, he needed partners. Particularly crucial would be the support of Ireland’s GP community, without which, Bowes thought, CHI would fail. Maitiú Ó Tuathail was the man Bowes thought could deliver this support

It's not Bowes has the issue here. He called attention to it. Rightly so.

I am sure there will be a smear campaign started up. Leo is good at diverting issues away from himself and onto other people, that is why he employs so many PR "gurus". No wonder he asked for so much money for "special advisers", the civil service people wouldn't be able to cover up his corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Nobody in any of this did or is doing anything for the good of the country.

Some motivations are easy to pin down like the village magazine it's to sell more magazines.

Leo, it's hard to know exactly what his motivation was but it certainly wasn't to get GPs on board as claimed. 20% were IMO, 20% were NAGP, that leaves 40% unaligned. If it were for the good of the country he'd have leaked it to some helpful health journalist via a civil servant in the department of health.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. GP’s are self employed and the NAGP had well over 1,000 members. These things are about getting a critical mass of people to accept a deal. It isn’t a simple case of a union agreeing to a contract on the workers behalf like in a normal company.

Edit: I also don’t understand why, after the contract negotiations had concluded that the document was considered confidential. Surely it should have been “not for public release and subject to change” or something. If I was a GP how would I agree to a contract that I hadn’t seen?

NSAman wrote: »

I am sure there will be a smear campaign started up. Leo is good at diverting issues away from himself and onto other people, that is why he employs so many PR "gurus". No wonder he asked for so much money for "special advisers", the civil service people wouldn't be able to cover up his corruption.

I know, I'm just wondering what Bowes motive was. Leo is in the wrong.

Remember he(Bowes) was trying to get CHI supported by NAGP doctors.

Maybe after NAGP folded he was given no Gov or IMO support for CHI.

NSAman wrote: »

Ah come on.

It's clear from Bowes twitter he is loving this and it's personal.

I'd love to know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

blanch152 wrote: »
    Leo did nothing on Chay, he is only a pawn.

Paddy Cosgrove is the one running this. O’Toole sued him and won big, Leo’s government cut off the gravy train of the Web Summit.

So, Paddy Cosgrave got Maitiú O Tuathail to request a copy of a confidential document from Simon Harris and when that failed (as Paddy no doubt intended) he convinced Maitiú to contact his friend but not friend-friend Leo who duly supplied said confidential document?

Did Paddy introduce Maitiú to Leo?
    Did he arrange for Maitiú to become president of the NAGP?
    Did he exclude the NAGP from the discussions with the Dept of Health?
    How deep did this go??

If Paddy Cosgrave is capable of that kind of organisation we should just put him in charge as frankly the current govt couldn't organise a cover up in a Madelene Laundry.

Coveney is a fine person and thats rare for irish politics to boot,

Coveney is the very embodiment of the Entitled RCYC Classes of Cork.
    On thing is sure: in Cork, the name 'Coveney' carries significant weight. One of the prosperous 'merchant prince' families of the city, the Coveneys came from old money and built on it through the generations.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-coveneys-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-kennedys-of-county-cork-35706406.html

He's nice enough, bit dull tbh. Unless the conversation is about sailing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I met Simon Coveney a handful of times about 10 years ago. He was quiet and retiring but has grown in confidence over the years.

He is a decent empathetic person for sure.

I met Simon Coveney a handful of times about 10 years ago. He was quiet and retiring but has grown in confidence over the years.

And he is the embodiment of Cork's entitled influential class.

He seems a decent sort but he's alright with FG policies so how decent can he be .

He didn't get the Occupied Territories Bill passed for example.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Coveney is the very embodiment of the Entitled RCYC Classes of Cork.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-coveneys-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-kennedys-of-county-cork-35706406.html

Ones surname is now enough to be lumped in with the crowd.

Jesus I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm not sure Boards reflects the thoughts of the general public.

Wake up! Varadkar is an arrogant egotistical clown who has been caught with his pants down! And their media manipulation speaks for itself! Not🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. GP’s are self employed and the NAGP had well over 1,000 members. These things are about getting a critical mass of people to accept a deal. It isn’t a simple case of a union agreeing to a contract on the workers behalf like in a normal company.

Edit: I also don’t understand why, after the contract negotiations had concluded that the document was considered confidential. Surely it should have been “not for public release and subject to change” or something. If I was a GP how would I agree to a contract that I hadn’t seen?

My point exactly leaking to an organisation with only 40% the people you're looking for buy in from in the national interest isn't great when you're leaving out another 40%. If you want a critical mass you'd try to leak more widely.

Didn't Vincent Browne have a tweet about a senior minister leaking something and then announcing an inquiry into it. If you want as many GPs as possible that's more the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

IngazZagni wrote: »

It wasn't theirs to see.
    It belonged to the IMO who Zero Craic wished to demolish as referenced a few pages back in one of his tweets.

• Advertisement

Ones surname is now enough to be lumped in with the crowd.

Jesus I've heard it all now.

Ah get off the stage. The only one lumping is yourself.

The Coveney's have long been considered Cork's 'Kennedys' - a wealthy, influential, politically connected family. That's just the facts of the matter.
    Simon went to one of the, if not the, most expensive boarding schools in Ireland, he ran for the Dáil seat his father Hugh held. Simon's mother was at one time Lady Mayoress of Cork. There's a fecking pier named after Hugh Coveney.

Let's not pretend the Coveney's of Cork are some just getting by month to month but work hard ordinary family. They are not. They are wealthy. They are privileged. They have political influence.

Look, he is a nice enough man. He is also FG 'royality'. To claim he isn't one of the 'Entitled' class is nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement