Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    And yet Regina Doherty is on the board of Pieta House. What she is doing on there and how was she appointed would make you wonder as she is no friend of the poor?

So you have a problem with Regina Doherty volunteering for free to help Pieta House?

Are there no depths that SF supporters will not sink to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you have a problem with Regina Doherty volunteering for free to help Pieta House?

He's asking a few questions about how she got the gig and what'll she be doing considering her background.

Can't really see a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Is this meant to mean something?like i know they're full sentences but together they make no sense.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    He's asking a few questions about how she got the gig and what'll she be doing considering her background.

Can't really see a problem with that.

We had posters on here earlier looking for bets that she was getting paid.

They disappeared when the reality of charity legislation was pointed out.

Have we really got to the stage where someone giving their time for free to a charity is subject to an investigation? Has the Shinner mob really reached the end of the line?

smurgen wrote: »
    Is this meant to mean something?like i know they're full sentences but together they make no sense.

Answer just the first question then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ah get off the stage. The only one lumping is yourself.

The Coveney's have long been considered Cork's 'Kennedys' - a wealthy, influential, politically connected family. That's just the facts of the matter.
    Simon went to one of the, if not the, most expensive boarding schools in Ireland, he ran for the Dáil seat his father Hugh held. Simon's mother was at one time Lady Mayoress of Cork. There's a fecking pier named after Hugh Coveney.

Let's not pretend the Coveney's of Cork are some just getting by month to month but work hard ordinary family. They are not. They are wealthy. They are privileged. They have political influence.

Look, he is a nice enough man. He is also FG 'royality'. To claim he isn't one of the 'Entitled' class is nonsense.

Are you finished?

Show me some wrongdoings.

Until then....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We had posters on here earlier looking for bets that she was getting paid.

They disappeared when the reality of charity legislation was pointed out.

Have we really got to the stage where someone giving their time for free to a charity is subject to an investigation? Has the Shinner mob really reached the end of the line?

That'd be me presumably? Yeah, disappeared - guilty as charged lol.

Let's hope she's got shag all to do with Pietas finance's.

Fine Gael TD's firm folds with debts of €280,000

Why is she on the board blanchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Are you finished?

Show me some wrongdoings.

Until then....

Show me where I said there were wrongdoings?

Oh you can't.

Now we're finished.

McMurphy wrote: »
    That'd be me presumably? Yeah, disappeared - guilty as charged lol.

Let's hope she's got shag all to do with Pietas finance's.

Fine Gael TD's firm folds with debts of €280,000

Why is she on the board blanchy?

Believe it or not, people volunteer for boards of charities.

I am actually involved with the governance of three charities, don’t receive a penny for my work, in fact it would be illegal to pay someone on the board of a charity.

I know that is hard for a SF supporter to understand, giving something to the community without expecting something back. Sure there are Shinners that contribute to the community, but it is always with an eye on the advantage to SF.

Actually seeing somebody do something without any ulterior motive absolutely confuses them. The entitlement culture of SF does not understand it.

P.S. do you now accept that she is not getting paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Believe it or not, people volunteer for boards of charities.

I am actually involved with the governance of three charities, don’t receive a penny for my work, in fact it would be illegal to pay someone on the board of a charity.

I know that is hard for a SF supporter to understand, giving something to the community without expecting something back. Sure there are Shinners that contribute to the community, but it is always with an eye on the advantage to SF.

Actually seeing somebody do something without any ulterior motive absolutely confuses them. The entitlement culture of SF does not understand it.

If we could just find out what Leo's 'ulterior motive' ( and it's looking like we will) was, we can then maybe talk about Regina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If we could just find out what Leo's 'ulterior motive' ( and it's looking like we will) was, we can then maybe talk about Regina.

Leo did it for the good of the country Fran, do stay on line.
    #Fairytales

No - and if you want to discuss Regina Dohertys appointment to Pieta House (and her suitability for the role) let's do so on the relevant page.

Back to Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

s1ippy wrote: »
    Gardaí need evidence to prosecute, which is why they have investigations to find it. When they are investigating, I'm sure they'll come across plenty damning stuff. I wouldn't want Gardaí investigating me and I'm very law abiding.

That is not how Gardai investigations work at all and I do not think the Gardai will be spending too much time on this at all.

I doubt Leo is delighted about this. I'm starting to feel a tiny twinge of sympathy and then I remember what a prick he was to the waiting staff in the restaurant I saw him in, and all the other sh!tty things he did that directly affect millions of people..

Id wager that didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

markodaly wrote: »
    That is not how Gardai investigations work at all and I do not think the Gardai will be spending too much time on this at all.

Id wager that didn't happen.

I’d wager it did happen

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

Not so much of a storm in a teacup as some thought at first eh. Still raging and a no confidence vote next week

Some men on here (it's always men) seem to automatically deflect when FG is criticised (true for blinkered supporters of all parties). Seems to be the same posters in each thread too. Though a few people suspect 2 of them are the same person. Dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

CarProblem wrote: »
    Not so much of a storm in a teacup as some thought at first eh. Still raging and a no confidence vote next week

Some men on here (it's always men) seem to automatically deflect when FG is criticised (true for blinkered supporters of all parties). Seems to be the same posters in each thread too. Though a few people suspect 2 of them are the same person. Dude

Good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Coveney is the very embodiment of the Entitled RCYC Classes of Cork.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-coveneys-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-kennedys-of-county-cork-35706406.html

He's nice enough, bit dull tbh. Unless the conversation is about sailing.

I have to say that throughout this thread I've really admired the quality of your posts but I can't agree with the bit in bold.

I'll fill out my ballot paper without leaving a blank space just so I can put Fine Gael last but in fairness to Simon he is one of the better ones. I'd class himself and Colm Burke as two men who are too good for Fine Gael.

It's not Simon's fault he was born into a wealthy family and he certainly doesn't have the airs and graces or notions about himself that the real knobs involved in the RCYC have. There's a lot more knobs that go around Cork with notions about their self importance that aren't involved in sailing and some are only on the fringes of involvement with politics or failed politicians like Gerry Buttimer.

Simon worked hard for what he has achieved and he continues to work hard, same can be said about the rest of his family just looking at the write up that you linked.

That's it, rant over.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

I have to say that throughout this thread I've really admired the quality of your posts but I can't agree with the bit in bold.

I'll fill out my ballot paper without leaving a blank space just so I can put Fine Gael last but in fairness to Simon he is one of the better ones. I'd class himself and Colm Burke as two men who are too good for Fine Gael.

It's not Simon's fault he was born into a wealthy family and he certainly doesn't have the airs and graces or notions about himself that the real knobs involved in the RCYC have. There's a lot more knobs that go around Cork with notions about their self importance that aren't involved in sailing and some are only on the fringes of involvement with politics or failed politicians like Gerry Buttimer.

Simon worked hard for what he has achieved and he continues to work hard, same can be said about the rest of his family just looking at the write up that you linked.

That's it, rant over.

What a load of crap to say he had to work hard for what he has ? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth , privately educated so ya he really saw hard times I’d say .. Otherwise I’d agree he is doing a good job and is Top 5 politicians in this country..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

That's it, rant over.

I'm not a FG voter and want Leo to resign over this but do agree regarding Simon Coveney.

When he started out he wasn't much of a public speaker, I think he may have had a stutter, but he worked hard and now you'd never know.

Yes he was born into a privileged position, but that doesn't take away from the good politician he is. They are few and far between.

He is a decent human being with empathy for others and some competency thrown in. I actually can only think of a handful of politicians that meet this low bar across the three large parties (Eoin O'Broin springs quickly to mind as well).

Mr.S wrote: »
    Does that mean anything with FF/FG/Green's backing Leo?

With the "more to come" tweets from Chay Bowes, I'd certainly not be comfortable nailing my colours to the fine gael mast if I was a backbencher (or otherwise) in FF.

Keep an eye out for Twitter on Wednesday morning will be my guess.

• Advertisement

Does that mean anything with FF/FG/Green's backing Leo?

It means a huge amount to me for one. I’m not normally one to enjoy anyone else’s pain but if it’s death by a thousand cuts for Leo, it just means I get to enjoy the popcorn and beer for even longer. Excruciating pleasure in an otherwise dismal year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

costacorta wrote: »
    What a load of crap to say he had to work hard for what he has ? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth , privately educated so ya he really saw hard times I’d say .. Otherwise I’d agree he is doing a good job and is Top 5 politicians in this country..

There is a big difference "between what he has" and "what he has achieved" and you shouldn't need to have a private education to grasp that.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

WicklaWolf wrote: »
    I'm not a FG voter and want Leo to resign over this but do agree regarding Simon Coveney.

When he started out he wasn't much of a public speaker, I think he may have had a stutter, but he worked hard and now you'd never know.

Yes he was born into a privileged position, but that doesn't take away from the good politician he is. They are few and far between.

He is a decent human being with empathy for others and some competency thrown in. I actually can only think of a handful of politicians that meet this low bar across the three large parties (Eoin O'Broin springs quickly to mind as well).

Brexit saved or elevated Coveney, he was well briefed on it as was McEntee (remains to be seen if she was glowing in the reflected light or if she actually has some talent) and they all benefitted because there was cross government cohesion on it.
    But he can get similarly bogged down on domestic matters, he would be a better fit than Leo to lead FG but I don't think we'd be getting much different to be honest.

He'd want to be sitting on a lot with the amount of hype they've been drumming up. The last release was fairly meh.

Completely agree actually, though I strongly suspect the damage is done.

Leo is soiled goods now.

Agree. Don't think he'll be forced to resign over this though, and unless Bowes / Village release something really damming, he'll survive the no confidence vote - but overall, can't see him staying long term.

Everything he does going forward this will be thrown back in his face and as it’s dragging out also the faces of FF an greens. He is very soiled indeed, #leotheliar And #leotheleak are here to stay.

WicklaWolf wrote: »

Eoin O'Broin and Coveney are probably the best we have in Cork. Becoming a fan of Holly Cairns also. That said Coveney hasn't actually delivered anything local in Cork but he's a lot more even tempered than Varadkar and would be better on the international stage than either Michael Martin or Varadkar.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    This explains why govt hired so many advisors for themselves.....

Is that "a friend of a friend of a friend"

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1106/1176410-varadkar-no-confidence/

Had to read that again jesus wept. I hope there's a good chain of custody to the information the spokesman and his spokesman receive. Let's hope he isn't getting them to leak confidential info for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Didn't Leo say a while ago he wants out of politics soon?

Probably wants to survive this then leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

That's it, rant over.

It's telling that people seem to believe I am criticising Simon Coveney due to his background when I have done no such thing.

My own Cork background wouldn't be a million miles away, and I am very aware of how that has given me an automatic invite to tables most people don't get. Most of the people at these tables I'd cross the road if I saw them coming tbh but by god they have power and money and they use both to their personal advantage.

All I did was point out Simon comes from a socio-economic background that is very privileged, and with this privilege comes a sense of entitlement. Access to power/influence being the main one.

Let's not pretend it doesn't exist.

At no point did I imply/infer/suggest Simon Coveney has abused this access but I will say he has availed of it, and didn't have to hustle to get access to it. It was there all his life waiting for him to tap into.

Does this make him a 'bad' person? No. Absolutely not.
    'Badness' is defined by how he choses to wield that influence and power.

There are indeed knobs in the RCYC, which is why I have never bothered with them after about 1980 - but on a personal note Simon Coveney stole the wind of about 10 smaller crafts (my own included) during an Ocean to City race, nearly swamping about 3, and that is the action of an unsporting sh*te. And yes, I told him that to his face. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Brexit saved or elevated Coveney, he was well briefed on it as was McEntee (remains to be seen if she was glowing in the reflected light or if she actually has some talent) and they all benefitted because there was cross government cohesion on it.
    But he can get similarly bogged down on domestic matters, he would be a better fit than Leo to lead FG but I don't think we'd be getting much different to be honest.

I thought Coveney was excellent on Brexit, certainly in public where he dealt confidently and competently with everything thrown at him, particularly by the brits. I have no idea where the McEntee brexit love-in is coming from, all I ever saw from her was standing respectfully behind and over Coveney's left shoulder as he faced all challengers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement