Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I thought Coveney was excellent on Brexit, certainly in public where he dealt confidently and competently with everything thrown at him, particularly by the brits. I have no idea where the McEntee brexit love-in is coming from, all I ever saw from her was standing respectfully behind and over Coveney's left shoulder as he faced all challengers.

If I remember she did shine brightly in an interview with John Humprys on BBC radio4. But really she was only sticking to the government line and what stood out there was the presenters bias and ignorance.

As I say, willing to give her a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

smurgen wrote: »
    Eoin O'Broin and Coveney are probably the best we have in Cork. Becoming a fan of Holly Cairns also. That said Coveney hasn't actually delivered anything local in Cork but he's a lot more even tempered than Varadkar and would be better on the international stage than either Michael Martin or Varadkar.

Yes Holly Cairns is an excellent communicator and seems like another decent person.

I like the SocDems generally. Holly Cairns is actually a better communicator than either Shorthall or Murphy, both of whom I like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A Taoiseach and Táiniste from Cork?

They'll think we're staging a coup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'm just thinking now, they'll probably drop the information they had to release yesterday just before the vote.

The great thing about this, besides the obvious fact that it will influence the vote in unforeseen ways, is the fact that Leo probably still won't know what precisely they have on him until the time that it's disclosed.

He will, however, personally know the worst thing he has done. It's a rare and delightful thing that someone who has been involved in all manner of corrupt and sinister dealings is finally beholden to their conscience, stewing about how irreparably their reputation is going to be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

Mr.S wrote: »
    Does that mean anything with FF/FG/Green's backing Leo?

He'll probably survive but keeps it in the lime light

Some people will probably have to put up or shut up (e.g. Marc MacSharry) but no doubt they'll all be whipped into line and scuttle back underneath their rocks

Oh and btw (not aimed at the poster I'm quoting), criticism of the government does not imply support for Sinn Fein

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

blanch152 do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's telling that people seem to believe I am criticising Simon Coveney due to his background when I have done no such thing.

My own Cork background wouldn't be a million miles away, and I am very aware of how that has given me an automatic invite to tables most people don't get. Most of the people at these tables I'd cross the road if I saw them coming tbh but by god they have power and money and they use both to their personal advantage.

All I did was point out Simon comes from a socio-economic background that is very privileged, and with this privilege comes a sense of entitlement. Access to power/influence being the main one.

Let's not pretend it doesn't exist.

At no point did I imply/infer/suggest Simon Coveney has abused this access but I will say he has availed of it, and didn't have to hustle to get access to it. It was there all his life waiting for him to tap into.

Does this make him a 'bad' person? No. Absolutely not.
    'Badness' is defined by how he choses to wield that influence and power.

There are indeed knobs in the RCYC, which is why I have never bothered with them after about 1980 - but on a personal note Simon Coveney stole the wind of about 10 smaller crafts (my own included) during an Ocean to City race, nearly swamping about 3, and that is the action of an unsporting sh*te. And yes, I told him that to his face. :P

That's exactly what you did.

But let's agree to disagree and move on with the main topic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The discomfort this will cause for the Greens summed up in the final words on Katie Hannon's Show on Radio 1 there.

'Sanctions for Green TDs who go against the whip, but none for Leo Varadkar who did the wrong thing'.

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

s1ippy wrote: »
    It's a rare and delightful thing that someone who has been involved in all manner of corrupt and sinister dealings is finally beholden to their conscience, stewing about how irreparably their reputation is going to be damaged.

There's no way you know that he's done "all manner of corrupt and sinister dealings", unless you have an inside track on this that we don't. I'm not saying he hasn't done anything else wrong, but innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The discomfort this will cause for the Greens summed up in the final words on Katie Hannon's Show on Radio 1 there.

'Sanctions for Green TDs who go against the whip, but none for Leo Varadkar who did the wrong thing'.

Ouch!

It'll be just Eamonn left in the party at the rate they are going, he's like Micheal Scott from the US version of The Office, oblivious to the damage he creates.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

WicklaWolf wrote: »
    Yes Holly Cairns is an excellent communicator and seems like another decent person.

I like the SocDems generally. Holly Cairns is actually a better communicator than either Shorthall or Murphy, both of whom I like.

I like Catherine Murphy but God she was awful in the questioning of Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I can’t believe this is still a thing. My husband is a prominent member of Fine Gael and he says that Leo just happens to be extremely personable and trusting with his friends, hardly the behaviour of a tin pot African dictator.

Honestly this forum is just full of cranks and trolls. Reading it is like lifting up a rock and seeing the worms scuttle about underneath.

200.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

200.gif

Lol - first time I've ever heard Leo Varadkar being referred to as personable.

He is notoriously stand-offish and uninterested in others. I've heard this numerous times from different sources: members of FG, staff in the Dail and people from his local area.

His lack of empathy and egoism is apparent to all I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ouch!

I can't understand why people like Oliver Moran, and to a lesser extent Hazel Chu, are remaining in the GP.
    How much more humiliation - by which I mean ignoring the very sincere ethical beliefs of many grass root members - can they take?

I'm beginning to find myself regarding friends who are active in the GP with the same confusion I regard family in the US who voted for Trump. I know they are kind, caring, ethical, people but when they support nod nod wink wink rules don't apply to us politics it just... puts me off them...

I even slung the GP a preference - foolishly I thought the likes of Moran meant they had learnt from last time. I was completely wrong.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I like Catherine Murphy but God she was awful in the questioning of Varadkar

She was. I was really disappointed. She;s usually razor sharp but she looked like first she heard of it all was 5 minutes before LV started his explanation and she was struggling to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

She was. I was really disappointed. She;s usually razor sharp but she looked like first she heard of it all was 5 minutes before LV started his explanation and she was struggling to catch up.

Agreed but the Social Democrats are a party for the future. They trebled their seat count and got rid of Donnelly. They seem to pick very capable young candidates unlike FFG who seem to pick greedy ones.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Agreed but the Social Democrats are a party for the future. They trebled their seat count and got rid of Donnelly. They seem to pick very capable young candidates unlike FFG who seem to pick greedy ones.

The Social Democrats are the Labour Party for slow learners.

By that metric FG are FF for slow learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know you fear a change to the status quo but I actually think both parties support each other pretty well behind the scenes.
    There are probably more capable and more honest TDs in those 2 small parties than in all of FFG.

I have to say though that I've enjoyed the shenanigans of the first 130 days of this FFG government. They have certainly given the SDs and Labour plenty of profile.
    4 ministers of Agriculture :) Classic stuff.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Oh grow up, you just want the “lame duck” Labour Party, under Kelly, to prop up FG whenever it suits.

If more, disillusioned, Labour voters decide to go with the Soc Dems, as they should, it could make things “difficult” for FG.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Oh grow up, you just want the “lame duck” Labour Party, under Kelly, to prop up FG whenever it suits.

If more, disillusioned, Labour voters decide to go with the Soc Dems, as they should, it could make things “difficult” for FG.

One of the best things I ever did was cut up my LP membership and hand it to Kathleen Lynch when the party went into govt with FG.

They had become nothing but a prop for FG (and FF that one time), ready to throw any principles under a bus at the hint of power and a pension.

Which is why I vote for them. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

So what's going to happen, General election with lots of postal votes or FF join with SF and Labour ? Mickey Martin retiring obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

One of the best things I ever did was cut up my LP membership and hand it to Kathleen Lynch when the party went into govt with FG.

They had become nothing but a prop for FG (and FF that one time), ready to throw any principles under a bus at the hint of power and a pension.

Labour have been coalition partners with FG in government in pretty much every decade since the 1940s. Not sure why you were ever a member of the Labour party if going into Government with FG was a red line issue for you.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Labour have been coalition partners with FG in government in pretty much every decade since the 1940s. Not sure why you were ever a member of the Labour party if going into Government with FG was a red line issue for you.

Don't do it Eamonn said much of the membership, we will become the fall guys and our decline will be swift, but the majority said yes and Eamonn did it. And as unpalatable legislation that heaped debt upon the taxpayers was whipped into enactment and as dodgy doings by FG ministers were publicly justified Eamonn witnessed the party slip into irrelevance.

And the Soc Dems were born - or did you think I was talking about the Greens?

As a matter of fact I was a bit of an admirer of the Rainbow Coalition. And I don't need a history lesson but thanks anyway.

And as fascinating as my previous membership of an out of favour political party might be it's hardly relevant so -back on topic ... looks like the Indo are out for "utterly ruthless" Leo https://www.independent.ie/life/utterly-ruthless-how-leo-varadkar-makes-friends-and-influences-people-39714347.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This has aged well.
    Jesus dude. No one gives a sh1t about this anymore. Have you looked at the top headlines. We're only at Thursday morning and this is already old news.

More interesting stuff going on in the US.

The village giving a little teaser possibly?

Leo has a fork tongue apparently. Not going away lol.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1325143533053857793?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

McMurphy wrote: »

It's amazing, we're are all these screen shots coming from, it's no wonder Leo deletes his messages. This latest kinda speaks volumes on Leo's hypocrisy.

Now the irish media can move on from the us election hysteria, they may recommence focusing on Leo's naughtiness. I wasn't too impressed with the discussion on the Katie Hannon show earlier, a bit timid.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So he does know the rules when he doesn't want to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's amazing, we're are all these screen shots coming from, it's no wonder Leo deletes his messages. This latest kinda speaks volumes on Leo's hypocrisy.

Now the irish media can move on from the us election hysteria, they may recommence focusing on Leo's naughtiness. I wasn't too impressed with the discussion on the Katie Hannon show earlier, a bit timid.

That is allegedly correspondence between a brother of a FG councillor and Leo, so there's only two possible sources for the screenshot.

The genie is out of the bottle though.

Not going away.

• Advertisement

That is allegedly correspondence between a brother of a FG councillor and Leo, so there's only two possible sources for the screenshot.

My guess is your man is a disgruntled doctor, and he's came forward with that info in light of the sleveenism Leo was up to between two rival doctor groups.

The genie is out of the bottle though.

Not going away.

Did the whole country, bar me, have his number?*

*They certainly have his number now! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement