Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    So, in effect, it has nothing to do with this topic.
    Yet you bring it up anyway.

Come on, I am not stupid. Its an age-old trick of disinformation and bringing up other strands of 'similar' stories to muddy the waters.
    If it were a Tweet about Leo, it would come with a Twitter fact check warning :)

No, no trick it was a mere observation, but I note your constant hypocrisy is on show tonight again.
    you wrote:
    For Leo to be a Law Breaker, he has to be given due process and his day court.... then if found guilty of breaking a law, then he is indeed a lawbreaker.

Yes, I know the Twitter folk won't really care for due process and all that, but anyway, that is how it works.
    also you wrote:
    The comparison between Leo and corrupt Gardai passing information to Criminal Gangs is obvious only for the diehards, and the diehards, like Trump supporters, will believe what they want to believe.

No due process for the guards, you've them hung drawn and quartered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I would agree, the major success in this is that it’ll force FF to side with FG and further play into the narrative of SF that we are all the same.

That is one way of looking at it, but its expected. FF are not going to vote with the motion, as they will be voting for their own P45 given their poll numbers.

Yea, last week they may be annoyed at having to defend Leo, but now, they will be MORE annoyed at SF with their political games and trying to win some more soundbites, and I think the public may be of the same mindset here.

As I said, the opposition had a good week last week, now though they risk turning victory into defeat. I doubt the larger public give to $hits about this since they are still in lockdown. All they will see on TV are SF slinging it about like the rest of them. If the goal is to differentiate yourself from FF, FG and the Greens, this is NOT the way to go about it.

Your definition of corruption seems to differ from the rest of the world,

Not at all.
    Where was the personal gain for Leo here?

Is there a wad of cash sitting in a bank account for him?
    A house in the Cayman Islands?
    A car?
    Some artwork?

Nope?

Not really corruption then is it!

McMurphy wrote: »
    No, no trick it was a mere observation,

So again, why conflate the issues?
    You just happen to find it interesting and post it in a thread about Leo.

Pull the other one!

No due process for the guards, you've them hung drawn and quartered already.

Oh please, I, of course, will afford them the correct due process as any citizen of the state. They have not been publicly named for one.
    Do you agree with due process?

Not at all.

A car?
    Some artwork?

Nope?

Corruption doesn't necessarily equate to personal enrichment of oneself, it's an act of dishonesty.

• Advertisement

Corruption doesn't necessarily equate to personal enrichment of oneself, it's an act of dishonesty.

Projecting your own terms now into what Corruption means.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Not at all.

A car?
    Some artwork?

Nope?

He done it to help his party Fine Gael.

"The GP union at the centre of the Leo Varadkar leak controversy threatened to campaign against Fine Gael in local and general elections two months before he leaked the organisation a confidential pay deal for doctors.

The National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP) issued the stark warning to Fine Gael TDs on February 11, 2019 - three months before the local and European elections"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctors-group-at-centre-of-leak-controversy-had-threatened-fine-gael-with-protests-1.4397854

Oh please, I, of course, will afford them the correct due process as any citizen of the state. They have not been publicly named for one.
    Do you agree with due process?

Mark, with all due respect, I admire your new found respect for due process to all citizens of the state. You probably typed that with a straight face.
    Projecting your own terms now into what Corruption means.

They're not my terms - look up the definition of "corruption" FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So now the expected goal post shifting of what you said.

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

Own what you said, Francie, you said they rarely fail, which is clearly wrong.

And they don't.

You see them as a mechanism to just get rid if a wrongdoer...that would be politically naïve in extremis.

smurgen wrote: »
    He done it to help his party Fine Gael.

"The GP union at the centre of the Leo Varadkar leak controversy threatened to campaign against Fine Gael in local and general elections two months before he leaked the organisation a confidential pay deal for doctors.

The National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP) issued the stark warning to Fine Gael TDs on February 11, 2019 - three months before the local and European elections"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctors-group-at-centre-of-leak-controversy-had-threatened-fine-gael-with-protests-1.4397854

That was already addressed by Leo and is seen as a non-story now.

• Advertisement

Mark, with all due respect, I admire your new found respect for due process to all citizens of the state. You probably typed that with a straight face.

I see you didn't answer my question.

Do you agree with Due Process?

They're not my terms - look up the definition of "corruption" FFS.
    dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery

Yes, no bribes here, therefore no corruption.
    Again, do you agree with Due Process?

And they don't.

You see them as a mechanism to just get rid if a wrongdoer...that would be politically naïve in extremis.

A vote of no confidence in a government is exactly that. No if's or buts...
    You said they rarely fail when of course they rarely succeed.

I think you are terribly confused tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That was already addressed by Leo and is seen as a non-story now.

By who? Leo :)

I see you didn't answer my question.

Do you agree with Due Process?

Yes, no bribes here, therefore no corruption.
    Again, do you agree with Due Process?

How do you know what went on here?

You have the alleged's word for it, nothing else.

Will the Gardai (all ready guilty in your book) be allowed to say 'nothing to see here', do you think? Will that be the end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Not at all.

A car?
    Some artwork?

Nope?

Favours are currency in the world of politics, you are only demeaning yourself trying to justify what he did,

Leo isn't "the government" - I think you're the one who might be confused horse.

Proving how little you know about politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Wikipedia defines it as :

Corruption is a form of dishonesty or criminal offense undertaken by a person or organization entrusted with a position of authority, to acquire illicit benefit or abuse power for one's private gain.

I don't think I've heard anyone present evidence fulfilling that definition unless the village have something tomorrow?
    I don't know what to make of Paddy Cosgrave's covid guidelines breaking 3hr tea with Maitu O'Tuathail
    MoT could have been setting him up or it mightnt have happened at all

I do hope someone is taking notes,I'd like a good book to read for Xmas 21

Favours are currency in the world of politics, you are only demeaning yourself trying to justify what he did,

Oh, its 'favours' now, not payment?

I guess the entire political establishment is corrupt seemingly as politicians do favours for their constituents in return for votes?

I guess the entire political establishment is corrupt seemingly as politicians do favours for their constituents in return for votes?

The 'everyone else does be at it your honour' line of defense.

• Advertisement

Leo isn't "the government" - I think you're the one who might be confused horse.

You can play the semantics all you want, but at the end of the day, its as vote of confidence in the government, that is how its termed in the Dail Rules. If it succeeds the government falls and there is a new election. Leo alone doesn't get fired!

Nobotty wrote: »
    Wikipedia defines it as :

Corruption is a form of dishonesty or criminal offense undertaken by a person or organization entrusted with a position of authority, to acquire illicit benefit or abuse power for one's private gain.

I don't think I've heard anyone present evidence fulfilling that definition unless the village have something tomorrow?
    I don't know what to make of Paddy Cosgrave's covid guidelines breaking 3hr tea with Maitu O'Tuathail
    MoT could have been setting him up or it mightnt have happened at all

I do hope someone is taking notes,I'd like a good book to read for Xmas 21

Yeah - illicit benefit or abuse power

Is anyone here going to try and argue Leo didn't abuse power?

The other one has bells attached.

You have the alleged's word for it, nothing else.

You have the alleged's accusers word for it, nothing else.
    Will the Gardai (all ready guilty in your book) be allowed to say 'nothing to see here', do you think? Will that be the end of it?

Do you believe in Due Process?

Proving how little you know about politics.

Hey, I didn't spread falsehoods and lies about a fact that no-confidence motions rarely fail... when in fact it rarely succeeds.

You can play the semantics all you want, but at the end of the day, its as vote of confidence in the government, that is how its termed in the Dail Rules. If it succeeds the government falls and there is a new election. Leo alone doesn't get fired!

Semantics my backside, Leo isn't the government, he's Tanaiste.

A Tanaiste having to resign doesn't necessarily mean the end of the current govt.

Don't believe me? Ask Fine Gael.

FrancesFitzgerald_Thumbnail-3.jpg

The 'everyone else does be at it your honour' line of defense.

No its the inane bull**** that passes for political debate.

Its looks great an all, and will rile up da people on social media to no end, very much like the Clinton Email 'scandal' over the pond.
    "Lock her up!!"

Do you believe in Due Process?

Wee man, it's obviously pointless trying to get around the FG brainwashing and hope to find, even at this stage some remnant of cop on, he's been caught ,he's going down,maybe not on Tuesday but his political career is finished

Semantics my backside, Leo isn't the government, he's Tanaiste.

He is also the leader of FG.

What do you want? Him to resign over this? Unless there is a lot more to come from the story, that is not going to happen. Hell, FG would love for the Greens or FF to push the button. Will serve FG well in any upcoming election.
    Don't believe me? Ask Fine Gael.

Funny as she was absolved completely by the Collins report. I guess the truth doesn't matter to some.

Wee man, it's obviously pointless trying to get around the FG brainwashing and hope to find, even at this stage some remnant of cop on, he's been caught ,he's going down,maybe not on Tuesday but his political career is finished

Can I get the lotto numbers for Wednesday as well, please? :)

• Advertisement

Can I get the lotto numbers for Wednesday as well, please? :)

Whatsapp Leo, he'll put a good word in with a non friend for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement