Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    He is also the leader of FG.

Yeah, because he's Leader of the party? It's irrelevant.

Funny as she was absolved completely by the Collins report. I guess the truth doesn't matter to some.

Because this hasn't been discussed many a time on this site, even with you at the heart of the discussion. .

Where in the Collins report was she absolved for misleading her Taoiseach and the Dail?

Will I count to a million while you get me that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,108 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    How do you know what went on here?

I don't, which is why I think somebody with the requisite powers should investigate.

You have the alleged's accusers word for it, nothing else.

You have pronounced the alleged, innocent, based solely on what the alleged has said.

Do you believe in Due Process?

Yes. Someone who refers to 'corrupt Gardai' who have not yet been tried doesn't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah - illicit benefit or abuse power

Is anyone here going to try and argue Leo didn't abuse power?

The other one has bells attached.

It does finish the sentence with the line 'for personal gain'
    There's no evidence of that
    He certainly did use powers he had in a way he shouldn't have

I mean he's arguing his intentions
    He can do that and claim not to know Mot's were to destroy the IMO
    As it turns out that aim was unsuccessful
    I'm being devils advocate there of course
    There needs to be something tomorrow to bite into
    Otherwise we'll have a rehash of last week and people will get bored with it
    How and ever,hope someone is working on the book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1325550128917327872?s=20

Maybe smoothie girl was just trying to plug the leak with a plastic cup.

He really is a cretin.

Nobotty wrote: »
    It does finish the sentence with the line 'for personal gain'
    There's no evidence of that
    He certainly did use powers he had in a way he shouldn't have

I mean he's arguing his intentions
    He can do that and claim not to know Mot's were to destroy the IMO
    As it turns out that aim was unsuccessful
    I'm being devils advocate there of course
    There needs to be something tomorrow to bite into
    Otherwise we'll have a rehash of last week and people will get bored with it
    How and ever,hope someone is working on the book

He used powers he had in a way he shouldn't have so the very least that should happen here is an investigation into who benefitted.

Nobody, neither you nor I or FG or FF or SF etc know whether he benefitted or not.

Shaping up to come back with a bang this week as I thought, US election is fading in interest. Another release of info today and Leo is right back in the frame heading for two weeks in the news about this issue. Not good for him or FG if he cannot make it go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

He used powers he had in a way he shouldn't have so the very least that should happen here is an investigation into who benefitted.

Nobody, neither you nor I or FG or FF or SF etc know whether he benefitted or not.

Shaping up to come back with a bang this week as I thought, US election is fading in interest. Another release of info today and Leo is right back in the frame heading for two weeks in the news about this issue. Not good for him or FG if he cannot make it go away.

Fair enough, but you're a pawn in a bigger game as usual.
    Looking through the papers on my phone, not much mention. Might be more in the print, I haven't had time to see that yet.
    Not a mention on breakfast TV, not even in the paper headlines section.
    There needs to be more for it to go on after tomoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good call Bishop...nothing to see here....time to move on.

Good call Bishop...nothing to see here....time to move on.

It's beginning to backspin on them now Brendan.
    A lot of people looking at it as more Leo bashing from SF, its actually starting to gain him sympathy for being over the top as a lot of people believe his motives were sincere enough.
    They need more or its dead, the Cosgrave connection is now a demerit against the campaign.

Fair enough, but you're a pawn in a bigger game as usual.
    Looking through the papers on my phone, not much mention. Might be more in the print, I haven't had time to see that yet.
    Not a mention on breakfast TV, not even in the paper headlines section.
    There needs to be more for it to go on after tomoro.

Breakfast TV? Who watches breakfast TV? :D

Mentioned twice as 'business pending' this week Bish on Morning Ireland, Simon Coveney on now and he will not escape having to address it, much as you guys want to escape it.

And Coveney going with the excuse/plea that will only damage him in the end, 'please ignore this, please let Leo off on this, please avert thine eyes, as we have Brexit and Covid to deal with'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mentioned twice as 'business pending' this week Bish on Morning Ireland, Simon Coveney on now and he will not escape having to address it, much as you guys want to escape it.

Simon put Wilson in her box about the whole contrived fakery.

Not trying to avoid it. But it's just a rehash now.
    Unless there more Francie there isn't anything there that will make the govt desert him.

Simon put Wilson in her box about the whole contrived fakery.

:) You should start producing Brendi Radios Brendi....seem to be a unique product where you can hear stuff nobody else hears.

Simon just gave a rather lazy defence of Leo, neither here nor there and allowing him plenty of room to drop Leo if it comes to it. Kind of like the the Chairman of the club expressing 'full confidence in his manager', the day before the manager gets dropped.

As opposed to 'political opportunism in a suit slipping insider info under tables to vested interests'?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40078379.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Did the Village release anything else this morning?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did the Village release anything else this morning?

2pm today apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

2pm today apparently.

A nation holds its breath

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

A lot of people looking at it as more Leo bashing from SF, its actually starting to gain him sympathy for being over the top as a lot of people believe his motives were sincere enough

Who are these people? Most people I know wouldn't dream of voting SF but think Leo is an untrustworthy snake

They don't spend their days talking about it, just decided he's a snake, will move on and keep believing that regardless of how much more attention it's given

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You have to laugh at the carry on of the FG lads saying this is political opportunism and the lads on here going on about how its a waste of time and money and every other excuse under the sun when we all know that if the shoe was on the other foot you can bet the FG lads and those supporters on here would be jumping up and down looking for heads on plates but because it is one of there own that is not allowed and every excuse being made for him. Pachal Donahue was a joke on the radio yesterday saying that his past record should be taken into account on this. Maybe if Leo had morals he would have stepped down now saying what he did was not acceptable for someone in his position and set an example to all TD's that this behavior is not acceptable at any level in the government but no what we have a load of crap being spewed out to save his ass. And before you ask this applies to all TD's in all parties, time to clean up their acts people are sick of this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's hilarious that some posters in here use the rates payments as a stick to bash SF with, to try deflect from Leo's antics. When SF actually took action on the matter. Something Leo, FG and the current government are failing to do.

Mr Ó Broin said that that issue showed "accountability and transparency".

"400 wrongful payments were made, four to Sinn Féin offices and once the party found out, people resigned. A Senator resigned, an MLA resigned, two senior party officers resigned."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jim Callaghan spinning for Varadkar on Highland Radio now,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Jim Callaghan spinning for Varadkar on Highland Radio now,

Very disappointed in Jim o’callaghan. Thought more of him but clearly he is as sleeveen as Leo is. He’s just after head of FF, but he doesn’t want it quite just yet. Suits him to maintain the status quo for now. Weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very disappointed in Jim o’callaghan. Thought more of him but clearly he is as sleeveen as Leo is. He’s just after head of FF, but he doesn’t want it quite just yet. Suits him to maintain the status quo for now. Weasel.

Jim is ambitious and bitter and might think he has a chance of becoming Taoiseach in this government if he plays his cards right. A heave against MM may happen if the coalition of chaos continues on their current trajectory. It suits him to have a discredited Leo in place rather than a more popular Coveney.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yep sounds like an Irish TD alright, let the rest of us suffer while they wait their chance. Probably came out with the the public don't want an election, we wouldn't be forgiven for pulling down the government, Brexit, Covid, blah blah but never ever do they do the right thing.

Jim is ambitious and bitter and might think he has a chance of becoming Taoiseach in this government if he plays his cards right. A heave against MM may happen if the coalition of chaos continues on their current trajectory. It suits him to have a discredited Leo in place rather than a more popular Coveney.

Surely not playing politics. I'm shocked thought only the opposition do that.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Yep sounds like an Irish TD alright, let the rest of us suffer while they wait their chance. Probably came out with the the public don't want an election, we wouldn't be forgiven for pulling down the government, Brexit, Covid, blah blah but never ever do they do the right thing.

But maybe they are doing the right thing?
    An election is surely not what people want now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

8 Gardai suspended from duty pending outcome of corruption investigation. Formal complaint has been made to Gardai about Varadkar. Let’s see what standards FFG apply on Tuesday. They will send a clear message.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

An election is surely not what people want now?

How do you know?

I can only speak for myself but anything that removes FF from power can only be a good thing (if we can be satisfied that an election could be run safely). And despite being a former FG voter I've almost as much contempt for them at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It's hilarious that some posters in here use the rates payments as a stick to bash SF with, to try deflect from Leo's antics. When SF actually took action on the matter. Something Leo, FG and the current government are failing to do.

Mr Ó Broin said that that issue showed "accountability and transparency".

"400 wrongful payments were made, four to Sinn Féin offices and once the party found out, people resigned. A Senator resigned, an MLA resigned, two senior party officers resigned."

Yes but SF need to be across their finances a bit more than they are now as politics will get dirty
    This only came to light as the DUP's agent Stephen Nolan found out
    3 months is an unacceptably long time to have government moneys wrongly into a party account and nothing done
    3 months without Query
    You can see a legitimate question asked would it have been seen without Nolan copping it from the public records I presume
    Sinn Féin don't need the money and certainly don't need the issue waved at them
    Its not deliberate but its very poor oversight
    Put it to you this way,if it had gone into FG's accounts and stayed, there would have been Dáil questions

Anyhow one hour and 55 mins to go
    Giddy up lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Lowrey backing Varadkar lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement