Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

smurgen wrote: »
    Lowrey backing Varadkar lol.

Birds of a feather....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

He knows he's backing a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Wonder what is in it for Lowery?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Birds of a feather....

I actually don't think they are birds of a feather tbh.
    I think each one is half a Haughey.
    Lowry is, imo, for sale while LV is in it for the prestige of power and influence.
    Lowry seeks the 'what is in it for me?', LV looks for the microphone/photo-op and the 'OMG you are totes amazeballs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Floppybits

1 hour to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nobotty wrote: »
    Yes but SF need to be across their finances a bit more than they are now as politics will get dirty
    This only came to light as the DUP's agent Stephen Nolan found out
    3 months is an unacceptably long time to have government moneys wrongly into a party account and nothing done
    3 months without Query
    You can see a legitimate question asked would it have been seen without Nolan copping it from the public records I presume
    Sinn Féin don't need the money and certainly don't need the issue waved at them
    Its not deliberate but its very poor oversight
    Put it to you this way,if it had gone into FG's accounts and stayed, there would have been Dáil questions

Anyhow one hour and 55 mins to go
    Giddy up lads

All parties - SF included - need to be transparent about their income... but so do all politicians - and their close family members. If folks want to protect their privacy as to their income stream then I suggest they should find another occupation.

Were there ever questions in the Dáil about the donation to FF from O'Callaghan that ended up in Mary Martin's bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

That's a shocker.
    Didn't see that one coming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Only speak for myself but I think I’m fairly representative of a few people I know anyhow. Wouldn’t vote SF but FG not an option with varadkar at the helm, the more he’s defended the more FG look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Floppybits wrote: »
    Wonder what is in it for Lowery?

Continued access to FG email and sit in at cabinet meetings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Were there ever questions in the Dáil about the donation to FF from O'Callaghan that ended up in Mary Martin's bank account?

First I've heard of that but FF would want to have a clean house before throwing stones
    Anyhow 3 mins to go
    Giddy up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just to demonstrate the damage this has done to Leo and FG. The butt of jokes now.

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1325797764580696064

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Think this is it? Posted 9th November. Just reading now

https://villagemagazine.ie/at-least-10-times-not-2-or-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Think this is it? Posted 9th November. Just reading now

https://villagemagazine.ie/at-least-10-times-not-2-or-3/

That's it? Clearly they have nothing else if they are bigging up that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

So this is beginning to look like the case of a jilted toyboy getting his own back.
    Did #Leotheleak have a hareem in the broadest sense of the word?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

That is a complete shambles, are we now to have a national debate on what constitutes a friend? I hope we finally get clarity on whether a person can have more than one best friend.

Leo Varadkar will be have some smug look on his face today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Reaffirms what everyone knew really - timing of it obviously to increase pressure on FF ahead of the no confidence vote.

Interesting to see if MM can keep his ducks in a row ahead of this vote - party not happy

That is a complete shambles, are we now to have a national debate on what constitutes a friend? I hope we finally get clarity on whether a person can have more than one best friend.

Why?

The inference here is that he constructed a narrative to cover what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wow, groundbreaking stuff there :rolleyes:

This is an infantile level of journalism tbh. Leo said "two or three times a year". Anyone who read that to literally mean 2 or 3 times, is a moron. It's idiomatic. An expression that you arrange to meet someone on a relatively rare basis, not literally two or three times in a year, and if it's any more than that you're a liar.

And then amusingly goes on to note that MOT may have been bigging up the relationship and has poor attention to detail, but nevertheless seven random WhatsApp messages and an encounter at Pride is a smoking gun that Varadkar and MOT are besties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

More interesting would be are there official records of some of these dinners with Leo (& Paschal) - surely a dinner with head of NAGP (who isn't your mate) would be noted as such.

• Advertisement

Why?

The inference here is that he constructed a narrative to cover what he did.

Why?

Varadkar said that he meets the guy "2 or 3 times a year" but this magazine are claiming that by their count from looking at screenshots of apparent whatsapp and messenger exchanges its at least 10 times a year?

So what?!

The leak was not good, its disingenuous at very best. But this question of friendship is a complete distraction from that core issue...and while opponents try to kick up dust about it LV will slip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Just to demonstrate the damage this has done to Leo and FG. The butt of jokes now.

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1325797764580696064

Oliver Callan makes his living making politicians, the butt of jokes ffs.
    Loads of comedians do and there's a history of political satires the world over.

There's a photo of a minister working there in talks on trade. Many a party would give a lot to have someone in that position this morning I'd say.
    Looking at the latest revelation piece linked there now, it looks like the lads waiting patiently for the latest revelations are the butt's of the joke of the day to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That's it? Clearly they have nothing else if they are bigging up that.

At least ten meetings in 2019.

Why?

Varadkar said that he meets the guy "2 or 3 times a year" but this magazine are claiming that by their count from looking at screenshots of apparent whatsapp and messenger exchanges its at least 10 times a year?

So what?!

The leak was not good, its disingenuous at very best. But this question of friendship is a complete distraction from that core issue...and while opponents try to kick up dust about it LV will slip away.

I think it was Leo who was trying to 'distract' from the closeness of the friendship.

This clears the matter up...he was lying through his teeth again and throwing somebody under a bus in order to cover what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Varadkar has to go now -resign or be sacked
    Lying to Dáil Éireann is a sackable offence.
    We know why he is lying also . . . to downplay the real reason why he is leaking confidential government reports.

As we all know by now. . . Varadkar has sacked members of his own party for less.

Oliver Callan makes his living making politicians, the butt of jokes ffs.

Yes, but Oliver is not having a tilt at Michael Martin's trustworthiness, is he?

That is now on Leo and that is the damage he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

At least ten meetings in 2019.

Is the suggestions that all the meetings took place in and around the same time as Leo sent him the confidential documents? Website crashed before I got a chance to read it all.

I think it was Leo who was trying to 'distract' from the closeness of the friendship.

This clears the matter up...he was lying through his teeth again and throwing somebody under a bus in order to cover what he did.

He's not covering what he did, he admitted to providing the document to a third party (friend or otherwise is irrelevant).

He may have tried to justify his actions and thrown MOT under a bus, but being a bad friend isn't something he's going to be ousted for. Focus on the leak, not the friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

sure its' not a nuclear bomb but it is a clear suggestion of Leo lying to the dail

there is a huge difference in the friends i meet 2 times a year and those i'd see monthly - the 10 times suggested in village.

The good doctor is a closer friend than leo claimed and in the context of Leo's speech to the dail it is significant. he was willfully inaccurate in what he said in the dail that day - for a leader in government that should be a hanging offence.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    sure its' not a nuclear bomb but it is a clear suggestion of Leo lying to the dail

there is a huge difference in the friends i meet 2 times a year and those i'd see monthly - the 10 times suggested in village.

The good doctor is a closer friend than leo claimed and in the context of Leo's speech to the dail it is significant. he was willfully inaccurate in what he said in the dail that day - for a leader in government that should be a hanging offence.

I don't understand how his relationship with MOT was ever allowed to become relevant, a leak is a leak, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement