Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Leaked confidential cabinet documents then lied to the sovereign parliament during questioning regarding the leak - not exactly becoming of a party leader / tainiste / former taoiseach but the FFG shill will defend him to their last breath because em eh it's the shinners fault lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Today they put all attention on the friendship on MOT, distracting from the leak which is the actual offense, and smug Leo will ride off into the sunset of this scandal.

The thing of course is, just because MoT said he met Leo, doesn't mean he actually did. It is in his self-interest to big up his relationship with Leo as his job in the NGAP was hinging on it, in away.

There is also what one means to meet someone.

Leo and MoT could have had formal meetings, as he was the head of the NGAP, like the supposed meeting with Pascal Donohoe.
    There could be the chance 5-second meetings at a match, merely passing each other.
    Then there could be the actual meetings in a social setting where they actually do sit down for a pint, outside of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

markodaly wrote: »
    That is the key point in all this. Leo never denied they knew each other, as he said, they were friends, but not close friends.

There is nothing really new here in the Village article but a lose and amateur attempt at some FoxNews type expose.

Are you saying that there are posters here 'ordered' to defend Leo?

If there are poster here who are members of either the FF or GP parliamentary party then indeed they will have been 'ordered' to defend LV in tomorrow's vote - it's called the Whip system, perhaps you have heard of it.

" I only met him 2/3 times which shows we are not besties"
    Look - here are messages that show it was at least 10.

But yeah, downplay that it was LV himself who put a number on the amount of times they would have met. He wasn't asked for a number - he volunteered that information.
    If it turns out he misremembered that is another below the waterline hole punched in the unity of this govt.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Leaked confidential cabinet documents then lied to the sovereign parliament during questioning regarding the leak - not exactly becoming of a party leader / tainiste / former taoiseach but the FFG shill will defend him to their last breath because em eh it's the shinners fault lol.

Do keep up, it wasn't a cabinet document, it was a government agreement between the state and GP's, which was already approved by the cabinet.

Do keep up, it wasn't a cabinet document, it was a government agreement between the state and GP's, which was already approved by the cabinet.

Sure that's alright, at least it wasn't marked confidential on every page - oh wait....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If there are poster here who are members of either the FF or GP parliamentary party then indeed they will have been 'ordered' to defend LV in tomorrow's vote - it's called the Whip system, perhaps you have heard of it.

But yeah, downplay that it was LV himself who put a number on the amount of times they would have met. He wasn't asked for a number - he volunteered that information.
    If it turns out he misremembered that is another below the waterline hole punched in the unity of this govt.

Varadkar's defence is not credible in light of the messages. He has multiple social meetings with MOT. What is shown in these messages is in direct contradiction to what he said in the Dail. It's beyond credible that they were not friends. I don't think I've gone to a concert with a casual acquaintance.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Vested interests meeting the Taoiseach at least 10 times?

Looks like the Official Lobbying Register is being bypassed. Now there's a surprise.

Looking forward to hearing from Labour/SF/SocDems/RBB tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smurgen wrote: »
    Hahaha someone's upset.
    Bemused, is the word.

That so many intelligent adults would even think that Village post has any substance at all.

"He said two or three times a year, but we have some texts from one guy's phone that indicate it could have been as high as ten times in 2019! Ha! Check mate!"

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

It wasn't a confidential cabinet document.

Which sovereign parliament are you referring to, because we certainly don't have one here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

seamus wrote: »
    Bemused, is the word.

That so many intelligent adults would even think that Village post has any substance at all.

"He said two or three times a year, but we have some texts from one guy's phone that indicate it could have been as high as ten times in 2019! Ha! Check mate!"

:confused:

Sound upset and animated I would say.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. So your post was directed at posters on boards.ie who could be FG/FF/Green TDs? :D:D:D

Hillarious.

As Seamus says it was used figuratively, not literally.
    It's like saying, they met a few times a year.

Again, not exactly Watergate now is it.

The thing to remember is, there is no evidence of payments, or bribes, or payment for access or corruption, or illegalities. Its just Chinese Whispers and innuendo, delving deep into the social life of a politician.

I would wager that many a Labour, SD and SF TD will be uncomfortable with this latest article as they know, that if that is now what accounts for journalism, they will be next, in any future government.

E.g. Holly Cairns and her FF TD boyfriend!

Ireland is a small place, as you very well know, it's not unusual for people to bum into each other like that.
    Now if the story had some smoking gun, or some text from Leo saying, "Drop the cash to my gaff tonight please" then ya it would be a story, but this, this nonsense, the redtop tattle that is 'journalism'. Nope sorry!

Sure that's alright, at least it wasn't marked confidential on every page - oh wait....

Perhaps, but it wasn't a cabinet document. If you are going to argue to point, its best at least start with some basis in fact, not lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yep, now the Paschal tweet from Bowes makes sense.

You must be devastated waiting all weekend telling people something big coming . Ye really are a sad bunch and lead a very sad life by the looks of it . Adios some of us have to work for a living so pull up the pants and throw away the tissues as nothing to be seen ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Perhaps, but it wasn't a cabinet document. If you are going to argue to point, its best at least start with some basis in fact, not lies.

In Leo's own words 'it was a confidential document that he gave to MoT in confidence'.

smurgen wrote: »
    Varadkar's defence is not credible in light of the messages. He has multiple social meetings with MOT. What is shown in these messages is in direct contradiction to what he said in the Dail. It's beyond credible that they were not friends. I don't think I've gone to a concert with a casual acquaintance.

There's a joke in the Gay Community that knowing someone's surname makes them a close friend.

Having a person's phone number, meeting up quite often for social events, getting the photos together at Pride and other social events, supporting them for leadership of a political party, sending them a confidential contract they shouldn't have access to... not sounding that casual tbh.
    I've known people in the Gay community for over 40 years and they don't have my personal phone number, work number yes, work email yes. Personal - nope, we aren't that close like.

Can't help but remember the outrage over one photo taken many years ago of O'Gorman and Tatchell and the calls for resignation -wonder if any of LV's defenders were among the pitchfork wielding horde then?

In Leo's own words 'it was a confidential document that he gave to MoT in confidence'.

And it wasn't a cabinet document. :)

All the FFG bots scurrying around trying to downplay the shi1te the the leak has been up to lol

And it wasn't a cabinet document. :)

He gave a confidential contract in confidence to somebody whom he claimed was a friend he only seen 2 to 3 times a year.

That has now been completely undermined too as is any fall back excuse that he didn't know what he was doing. He knew exactly what he was doing and with whom he was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

There's a joke in the Gay Community that knowing someone's surname makes them a close friend.

Having a person's phone number, meeting up quite often for social events, getting the photos together at Pride and other social events, supporting them for leadership of a political party, sending them a confidential contract they shouldn't have access to... not sounding that casual tbh.
    I've known people in the Gay community for over 40 years and they don't have my personal phone number, work number yes, work email yes. Personal - nope, we aren't that close like.

Can't help but remember the outrage over one photo taken many years ago of O'Gorman and Tatchell and the calls for resignation -wonder if any of LV's defenders were among the pitchfork wielding horde then?

Good lord :eek:.
    Wtf is that all about?

Brilliant. So your post was directed at posters on boards.ie who could be FG/FF/Green TDs? :D:D:D

Hillarious.

As Seamus says it was used figuratively, not literally.
    It's like saying, they met a few times a year.

Again, not exactly Watergate now is it.

The thing to remember is, there is no evidence of payments, or bribes, or payment for access or corruption, or illegalities. Its just Chinese Whispers and innuendo, delving deep into the social life of a politician.

I would wager that many a Labour, SD and SF TD will be uncomfortable with this latest article as they know, that if that is now what accounts for journalism, they will be next, in any future government.

E.g. Holly Cairns and her FF TD boyfriend!

Ireland is a small place, as you very well know, it's not unusual for people to bum into each other like that.
    Now if the story had some smoking gun, or some text from Leo saying, "Drop the cash to my gaff tonight please" then ya it would be a story, but this, this nonsense, the redtop tattle that is 'journalism'. Nope sorry!

Piece in the Village wasn't aimed at you Mark.
    It was aimed at Marc.

But sure, pat yourself on the back like you scored some great point.
    Ohhh a soc dem TD is going out with a FF TD - gosh. Such news. Breaking.

• Advertisement

Did you miss the part when Leo stated that they were friends?
    He did say that you know, but he also stated that he was not close friends.

Are you now going to argue the finer points on what constitutes a close friend from a friend? If so, dare I say, the point has been proven that this latest story is nothing but tattle, set to send some tongues wagging. :p

I think you will find, that those who gave it loads about that photo were the same type of posters who think Leo is guilty of a high crime and should be hung, drawn and a quarter.
    In fact, the comparison is a little unbecoming!

He knew exactly what he was doing and with whom he was doing it.

What was he 'exactly' doing Francie!
    You seem to know all the answers. :)

Good lord :eek:.
    Wtf is that all about?

Post earlier saying well, Ireland is small and the gay community is very small so of course 2 gays guys in Dublin will bump into each other often.
    Possibly, even probably - but what is not a given is they will have each other's personal phone numbers. It's actually not that likely.
    Dunno how straight people do it but generally in the Gay Community personal phone numbers are for close friends - not casual acquaintances.

What was he 'exactly' doing Francie!
    You seem to know all the answers. :)

He was going behind his government and ministers back and giving a confidential document to a friend as a favour and as that friend was a vested interest.

He also lied to the Dáil by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Did you miss the part when Leo stated that they were friends?
    He did say that you know, but he also stated that he was not close friends.

Are you now going to argue the finer points on what constitutes a close friend from a friend? If so, dare I say, the point has been proven that this latest story is nothing but tattle, set to send some tongues wagging. :p

I think you will find, that those who gave it loads about that photo were the same type of posters who think Leo is guilty of a high crime and should be hung, drawn and a quarter.
    In fact, the comparison is a little unbecoming!

You seem to be under the impression the scandal is Leo Varadkar getting caught out for his answers to Dail questions?

The scandal is him leaking a confidential doc to his friend. Varadkar tried to mitigate this by saying he didnt give it to MOT as his friend, but because he was NAGP and it was public interest etc. That MOT and Varadkar were not really friends.

Most people don't dine out & meet up with someone 10+ times a year if they are not really friends. Today's article from The Village isn't a legal gotcha, but it makes the situation quite clear to all observers, both TDs and general public (except for those with their heads in the sand). Varadkar was doing his mate a favour.

P
    But sure, pat yourself on the back like you scored some great point.

Hey, I didn't write a post directed at both boards.ie posters and members of the government.

Perhaps best to write your TD an email?

Ohhh a soc dem TD is going out with a FF TD - gosh. Such news. Breaking.

Oh don't worry, the Village will have them on their sights in a while.
    Questions will be asked in the Dail about the true nature of their relationship and how many times they meet! :pac::rolleyes:

He was going behind his government and ministers back and giving a confidential document to a friend as a favour and as that friend was a vested interest.

What exactly was the favour?

timmyntc wrote: »
    You seem to be under the impression the scandal is Leo Varadkar getting caught out for his answers to Dail questions?

The scandal is him leaking a confidential doc to his friend. Varadkar tried to mitigate this by saying he didnt give it to MOT as his friend, but because he was NAGP and it was public interest etc. That MOT and Varadkar were not really friends.

Did you miss the part of his statement in the Dail where he did say that they were friends?
    Most people don't dine out & meet up with someone 10+ times a year if they are not really friends. Today's article from The Village isn't a legal gotcha, but it makes the situation quite clear to all observers, both TDs and general public (except for those with their heads in the sand). Varadkar was doing his mate a favour.

The bit in bold is very true and those times they met has to be qualified, with chance meetings, formal meetings and actual social meetings.

Let us not kid ourselves that MoT was over in his house every Friday night for Poker night!

What exactly was the favour?

That is what requires a criminal and exhaustive investigation quite frankly.

I think bank accounts should be looked at at this stage as it is clear Varadkar's word cannot be trusted. He stands accused now of lying to the Dáil.

• Advertisement

That is what requires a criminal and exhaustive investigation quite frankly.

Oh, I thought you knew exactly what was going on here.... but instead, you have no idea.... funny that!
    :D

As I said, Its the Irish Clinton email scandal.
    I think bank accounts should be looked at at this stage as it is clear Varadkar's word cannot be trusted. He stands accused now of lying to the Dáil.

FFS! :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement